When you first started playing..

S

slapmesilly..

We all did stupid things our first day, whether it was beta or retail release, share them here :p

I remember mine when I first started in Hibernia and I wanted to be a cool assasin that could climb walls, so I made a stalker, became NS and grouped with a ranger.
Since I knew Nightshades could Backstab I told the ranger to pull a mob and I would hide behind a tree and jump the mob from behind...

we tried it 5 times, and only 5 days later I knew why it didn't work :D

N

NetNifty

first day in beta i spent about an hour trying to work out how to hit stuff, didnt know what quickbar was for etc.

never got con back

just normal stuff really :)

F

Fex

My first char was a hunter, just finished watching LoTR so it seemed like a good idea. After taking about 5 hours to get to level 5 i trained up and tried to shoot something with my bow. I think it took about another 5 hours to figure out how to do that aswell.

C

celadorn

only ranger in whole of hib with 5 extra points in empathy ! :)

S

Sibanac

hehe paladin with some points charisma, bloody AD&D

C

Cush

Played a blademaster in beta.. and had same problem with the damn bow.. took freekin ages before i figured out how to use the bloody thing

A

Apathy

Originally posted by celadorn
only ranger in whole of hib with 5 extra points in empathy ! :)

My sorc has +5 empathy. :(

I also took about four days to get to level 5. I was trying to kill things by chaincasting a DoT (I didn't know what it did.).

Spent about ten levels killing green cons. ~sigh~

Luckily I ended up being ubertastic regardless.

a.

R

Roo Stercogburn

First char was actually an acolyte on Alb/Ex.

Couldn't understand why people just wanted me to heal when I just wanted to hit stuff (had intended to become a paladin like in EQ).

Got to level 5, then moved to Mid/Pryd since I knew someone there. Decided to try a necromancer style char. Best thing I ever did :)

O

old.SadonTheGrey

I thought you had to press F6 every time you wanted to swing ur weapon :p

O

old.Tohtori

Didn't actually have any problems/fuck ups the first day. I got a US server veteran who came back to the europe servers for a month or so, really trained the lot of us :p

But the funniest thing that ever happened with a berserker was "scaring" a mob to death. Evidently just as i transformed to a giant gerbil, a hit was thrown, the annimation of the transormation was still on so it looked like i growled and killed it with that :D

K

Kharok Svark

Hmmm, my first Character was a Highlander on Albion / Excalibur.

Got a quest from my trainer (in Humberton) to take a message to Humberton Keep.

Ran around, and ended up in Camelot :-(

J

Jupitus

The original Jup in beta had extra charisma, though you'd never have known ;)

E

Ebonn

First char was Ebonn, after a few hours of working out how to do the basic's i decided to go take a look around, few minutes later i see a black horse, not having a clue about stable masters at this point i try to see if i can ride it, walked over to it, clicked on it, wondered why it said aggressive and was purp con, instead of all the mobs i had seen which where grey-red and nuetrel , promtly got 2 shoted and decided that you couldnt ride them :]

L

lacroix

Can't think of anything special from my side, other than trying to figure out what each spell did (started Vard as identical template in beta) - and I found out about shift+i quickly enough, only that the info did mean f*ck all to me at that time ;)

Been a caster in AC, so I loved the grafics and the fact that buffs lasted a while and you didn't have to mess around with components but got your spells on lvl dependency ...
Didn't have a clue what to spec though, so I tried all three spec lines in beta (gave up on air quickly though, didn't like it then - never bothered with it ever since .... - I know I know, "GIMP!" :p ).

The most memorable thing - other than meeting some of my best friends in beta - was a guy, pally I think, I was grouping with who always tanked totally recklessly and planlessly, getting himself and us killed often enough - and he was dying like a fly, so I remember us asking him eventually what his con was (he was down to 0 cause he hadn't known about buying back con ;) ). Not seen him after beta, maybe he chose a different name or moved to a German server ;) - but he's stuck in my mind (/salute Haudraufundschluss)

P

Poseidon

LoL Same here i have some points in charisma on my pally, but it only makes him look better

D

darzil

I think my main confusion was thinking everything was yellowcon, because all the names above the mobs were in yellow. Didn't kill me, though, just kept me levelling slowly for an hour or so. Then I read the manual !

I guess it won't happen now.

G

greenfingers

I started a Armsman Highlander (good choice!) but the dumbest thing I did was to constantly hit F6 when I wanted to hit the lvl 0 mobs .. I found out that 1 push of the button was enough ... Now I have a Theurgist ... now I can push my DD button all the time !!! ... weeeeee ;)

T

tris-

my first char was a seer on excal. bought a sword and threw my hammer away because i didnt know you could only use hammers, so then i sold my sword and didnt have enogh money to buy another hammer and it wouldnt let me pick my hammer up.

try to solo purple cons as a level 1 mystic because i didnt know about cons.

someone told me minstrels got a song to spawn mobs and i believed them and insisted they play it if i ever grouped with one.

ran around in circles for an hour in camp forest because i couldnt find my way out.

soloed blue cons from level 1 - 15 because the manual said these are the best things to kill.

X

Xandax

Worst thing in live-game was to start a thane: Xandax Stormcaller.

Others would argue that deleting him with 44+ days /play and 760 weaponcraft was more stupid - but hey.... :)

Although in Beta I made loads of the "newbe" mistakes - but doubt many haven't made such mistakes, for instance playing a SM withouth knowing about aggro concept :D
Getting lost going from Audliten to Huginfell and such other things.
Exploring Raumarik and Uppland with a level 14 hunter :D

B

boni_ofdavoid

Originally posted by Ebonn
First char was Ebonn, after a few hours of working out how to do the basic's i decided to go take a look around, few minutes later i see a black horse, not having a clue about stable masters at this point i try to see if i can ride it, walked over to it, clicked on it, wondered why it said aggressive and was purp con, instead of all the mobs i had seen which where grey-red and nuetrel , promtly got 2 shoted and decided that you couldnt ride them :]

I remember the first time we crossed the river after fighting waterbeetles near Ardee and had the worlds quickest party trampeling!

I regret spending days doing delivery tasks for copper in Tnn. Doh.

K

Kobold

My eldritch on beta had spread points in light, void AND mana....he sucked :p

C

Cadire

I got to lvl 28 with my first skald before i realised it had 2 shouts....

...wondered why it was so bloody hard to level.

F

Fex

Ah yes I forgot about that, when i was at the char set up screen and choosing where to put my points i was reading what each of them did. So thinking i want to be charismatic, intellegent and also in touch with nature i promtly put 5 points into each of them, char, int and emp.

O

old.Downanael

Biggest mistake was to start on alb back on beta :rolleyes:

Second best was i thought charisma affects shop prices so my first hightlander was 5 str,7 charisma 3 piety and 2 con if i remember right :D

G

granny

My first char was a bard and for some reason the regular group of friends always wanted me to lead us to hunting spots/back to town/etc.

They learned about my legendarily crap sense of direction. Repeatedly. Often the hard way. Usually involving /release at some point :D

G

Gabrial

Falchion my blademaster.

Level 28 with 28 points CD and 27 point parry:) He was an interesting char to play:)

B

Blood

In beta at around level 20, my hunter had 12 bow, 19 sword, 13 beastcraft, and some stealth, i constantly ran around trying to kill mobs with my sword, and wore faded silksteel armor (for the record it was very purple) and 70% quality... needlessly to say i died alot, and only reached level 23

and yes i put points into charisma at creation, i had heard it was a multiplayer game, and you had to group with others

O

old.Zarff

beta... forgot to buy con back so i could hardly solo yellows in the end :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom