What's Stoke like?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hi people! There's a good chance I'll be moving to Stoke-on-Trent (a too-good-to-pass-up opportunity has arisen at work) and, as I've never been north of Leamington Spa, I was wondering what the area is like. Anyone live there or thereabouts that could give me an idea of the sort of town it is? I heard it's quite industrial...? I'm living in Plymouth atm, so if anyone's lived in both and could give a direct comparison, that would be fantastic. :)

TIA etc etc!

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
They have cops on the A50, lots of 'em.
Bastidges.
Oh and pottery stuff.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I know Stoke quite well.

Firstly, so we don't have any misunderstanding - its a shithole. And its dull. A dull shithole.

Ok moving on and being more constructive...

Stoke is confusing as its made up of a few small towns (well not towns but erm..etc), the main one being Hanley. When people refer to the centre of Stoke its actually Hanley they are on about. The main shopping centre in Hanley is imaginitively called The Potteries and that about sums up all its famous for unfortunately.

Its full of kappa slappas, chavs and general scum BUT there are a lot of nice folk about but they tend to hide in the few decent clubs/pubs.

The Sugarmill is a venue/club, not very big but its the best in the area really. Cheap student nights, some not too bad bands and amusing nights. Do a google, its got a decent site.

One thing I should mention - I am friends with a hell of a lot of skinheads and am VERY used to being around them. Despite the stereotype image, most skinheads these days are in the Anti-Nazi League and are sound guys who like a bit of ska and a pint and dont bother anyone.

So...I got a bit of a shock in Stoke. The skins there are VERY different, racist as fuck BNP members who are worse than any stereotype and give out loads of grief to anyone. My skinhead mates talked to me about it after and said they were probably the worst in the country.

Anyways...its not too far from Brum or Manc! :)

HTH

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Shit loads of traffic, shit loads of camera and speed bumps, other than that it aint too bad tho.

Lots of crappy mininum wage jobs

Oh and pottery stuff.

No more pottery, most of its gone with the closure of doultons.

Beers quite expensive (apart from witherspoons) around £2.50 for a pint.

Depends where abouts u decide to stay, there are some good places and some rough as hell places, just like anywhere really ;)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
If you go there, dont talk to ANYONE who works at a video shop !

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
throdgrain said:
If you go there, dont talk to ANYONE who works at a video shop !

I'm still trying to escape said video shop now after 4 years :(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Xtro, how would you rate Creation as a nightclub in Stoke? That's where the "too-good-to-be-true opportunity" is. :s

It's one of the best performing units in the company that I work for, it has fantastic PA's and it's only 3 years old so is (hopefully) in good nick... What about basic stuff like cost of living etc?

Thanks for the input guys. :)

Chasm

Loyal Freddie
I live in stoke so i can tell u its pretty bad, but then again so are most places in england. :D

Lots of asylum seekers specially around the town centre, lots of townies and nob heads specially cos of the number of council estates, yet there are some nice ppl around in the area. You just gotta find em.

Yeh lots of empty or knocked down pottery factories too. :D

Sigurd

Banned
A few years ago, on the way to Alton Towers we took a wrong turning and ended up in Stoke. Never... again... :eek6:

The place was miserable. The people were miserable (they all looked as if they were contemplating suicide, or homocide, or both) and even their dogs were miserable.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
bob269 said:
I'm still trying to escape said video shop now after 4 years :(

You will never escape! Muwahahahaha.

Stoke....hmmm let me see....

I hate it, good honest people are few and far between(bob being one of them :D) who will stab you for 10p, its rough at night in the towns. I think the Stoke City supporters were voted the worst in the country.

Like Xtro said there is alot of rough basts around, but to be honest I dont really see many skin heads anymore.

The accent is awful, I cringe if I ever hear myself, the women are hard.

Edit : Tug is from Stoke, Lester is, bob is, I am.

Aaaaaanyways Cally, you will love it chum :D

Trem

Sigurd said:
A few years ago, on the way to Alton Towers we took a wrong turning and ended up in Stoke. Never... again... :eek6:

The place was miserable. The people were miserable (they all looked as if they were contemplating suicide, or homocide, or both) and even their dogs were miserable.

MY DOGS ARE HAPPY! :eek:

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
caLLous said:
Xtro, how would you rate Creation as a nightclub in Stoke? That's where the "too-good-to-be-true opportunity" is. :s

It's one of the best performing units in the company that I work for, it has fantastic PA's and it's only 3 years old so is (hopefully) in good nick... What about basic stuff like cost of living etc?

Thanks for the input guys. :)

Creation has seen companies come and go, it does well for awhile then shuts down, i could rattle off dozen names its been in the last few years. Its successfull cuz its full of kids that get served snirnoff ice where nobody else will serve them. :D

Cost of living....depends on the income, like i said before wages are one of the lowest in the country and the recent hike in house prices doesnt help ppl thinking of moving.

Nothing is cheap unless you shop at the pound shop, maybe its doom and gloom but hey, its close to "everywhere"

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
bob269 said:
Nothing is cheap unless you shop at the pound shop, maybe its doom and gloom but hey, its close to "everywhere"

What bob said.

Oh and why the FUCK do people go in the pound shop and ask "How much is this?".

ARGH :)

Lester

One of Freddy's beloved
Stoke isn't so great, but it's surrounded by lovely country and the people are generally friendly. Drive in any direction and within 10 minutes you could be in Shropshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire or Derbyshire countryside.

I live in a posh area and people like Trem can't come in. We look at his type and throw cake at them.

Cally, it could be worse, you could live in Crawley and have to drink Shandy for ever...

Trem

Pffft Lester :eek:

I live in the highly desirable Newcastle area, you manky Stoke scrubber.

Come get this Cake you mincer.

TUG

It's my birthday today!
I am gonna move from the shithole that is Stoke to Shrewsbury soon, much nicer and still close enough to home to see the relatives if needs be.

As above really, run down shitty place in general, but some nice areas like anywhere. Lots of chavscum, so lots of un-needed bother from youths. Intelligence in the younger generation is somewhat lacking...

Creation, hmm one of the biggest clubs in Stoke centre but NO WHERE NEAR as busy as Liquid, I prefer creation though. The back room has excellent sound system, nice lighting and good atmosphere... most peeps in there are pretty sound but are generally more the working class folk than the poncy gits who all go to Liquid :) So what you been offered there job wise? Manager? :) Good, you can let me rent it out for cheap for some ickle nights I intend to put on one day!

I am sure there are worse places to be than Stoke though at the end of the day... I dont hate it as such but I dont like it, been here all my life (23 years) and its gone from ok to very bad (in my opinion) and with my girlfriend living on the outskirt of Shrews, I get to see what NICE people are like again, with manners and politeness... much nicer. Some nice peeps in Stoke but nowhere near enough to make you feel 'at home' and at ease when theres so many troublemakers EVERYWHERE you look.

Lots of illegal immigrants too lol.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Co-incidentally, Stoke is normally the section of the M6 northbound where I put my foot down. Perhaps because its an enormous black hole that swallows the muppets that usually populate that motorway, I dunno.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Whilst I dont live in Stoke, Ive been there many time (racing mostly) and its always fecking raining, whats that all about??

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
The only people I know from Stoke are nice, but then again they don't live there any more :confused:

Later

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
.Wilier. said:
Whilst I dont live in Stoke, Ive been there many time (racing mostly) and its always fecking raining, whats that all about??

It happens to be sunny right now.....

Ok i lie, its dull and overcast.....but its not raining :clap:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Wow, this thread has really filled me with confidence and the desire to move there right this instant! Plymouth's rough as sandpaper and hey, at least Stoke isn't full of Plymouth folk. :)

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
caLLous said:
Wow, this thread has really filled me with confidence and the desire to move there right this instant! Plymouth's rough as sandpaper and hey, at least Stoke isn't full of Plymouth folk. :)
whats with all the similies callous?
rough as sandpaper, sharp as a house brick..

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
Trem said:
I live in the highly desirable Newcastle area, you manky Stoke scrubber.
Ah you mean the fake Newcastle. There is only one toon!

Trem

My Newcastle would beat your Newcastle in a fight :eek:

;)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Trem said:
My Newcastle would beat your Newcastle in a fight :eek:

;)

I've been to Under-Lyme. It was full of chav-scum tbh :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom