Books Whats everyone reading atm?

Jazz

Fledgling Freddie
Pratchett and geeky science \o/

For fiction I read mostly Pratchett - "Monstrous Regiment" and "Night Watch" both continuing the Discworld series in typical style...

The rest of the time, I read what tends to be called "popular science," mostly at the moment I'm reading Richard Feynman stuff, for his tendency to be both a genius and an amusing read at the same time. You can get some introduction to his work here if you're into geeky sciencey stuffe at all. The book I'm reading right now is a biography of Feynman by James Gleick called "Genius" (Amazon.com link
here; Amazon UK don't seem to have it atm).

]SK[

One of Freddy's beloved
Put the book down and get back to TFC tbh Afx :D

Trancor

Fledgling Freddie
Currently reading 'Black Dog' by Stephen Booth and 'Fools Fate' by Robin Hobb. Good so far, but black dog is slow reading IMO.

Anul

Fledgling Freddie
I am reading mostly fanstasy books and documentary types of books i am currently reading George RR Martins A game of thrones and Stalingrad by Antony Beevor.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Slowly but surley going through ALL Pratchetts books, the geezer is class :clap:

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Reading the 5th Elephant at the mo mainly but just started 'The girl in the picture' by Denise Chong...probably a big mistake just before Chrimbo as it is a bit depressing :(

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Doh_boy said:
Crossroads of twilight is number 10 (or 9?) of a series that is getting rather long. I'm still enjoying it but a friend of mine maintains that nothing happens in the book. So if you don't know about it, it's the wheel of time series. There's some new books coming out which are basically the first two books split into two (four books). It might be easier to read then.

Crossroads is number ten - I have everything up to Winter's Heart, but as previously noted, it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I was a great fan of the series up to book four - The Shadow Rising - but after that, I feel he lost the plot. Literally - it doesn't seem to be going anywhere at the moment.

I'm tempted not to buy Crossroads for the simple fact that it'll be more of the same. I was hoping that in the time between book four and book nine, he may gather up the fallen strands of plot and weave them back into something vibrant and enjoyable. Sadly, it appears I was wrong, hence the question about book ten.

Conchabar

Fledgling Freddie
I am currently reading "A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole" good book recomend it

echo

Fledgling Freddie
At the moment I have loads on the go;

Brian Wilson And The Making Of The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" - Charles Granata

A Riot Of Our Own (Night And Day With The Clash) - Garry Barker and Johnny Green

Lipstick Traces (A Secret History Of The Twentieth Century) - Greil Marcus

Patriarch

Fledgling Freddie
I'm reading A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving at the moment. It was in the Big Read Top 100 books, and I'm finding it very enjoyable so far.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Erm. Read quite a few books this week:

1) Hiroshima - John Hersey
2) The Fourth Hand - John Irving
3+4) Harlequin + Vagabond - Bernard Cornwell
5) erm.....it was some book about this english butler who goes for a drive through southern england, talks about his old days serving a Lord who fratenised with nazi supporters - Written by some japanese fellow who moved to england at the time

Otherwise atm i'm re-reading some of my Dragonlance books. Make good reading whilst you're bored out of your wits

(and yes troggeth, raistilin is teh w1n! :p )

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Reading "Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore. Some very scary observations of the American politcal system in there.

Eternal

Fledgling Freddie
I'm reading "Heretic" by Bernard Cornwell, about Grail-hunting in 14th century France.

Originally posted by Xane
Eats, Shoots and Leaves, to compliment the grammar nazi I will become here.
Tut tut! Any decent grammar nazi knows that one should never start a sentence with a verb! :p

NiteFall

Fledgling Freddie
At the moment I am reading Peter F. Hamiltons Nights Dawn Trilogy (very good), Ian M. Banks' Feersum Endjinn (also very good) and Join Me by Danny Wallace (very good too).

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Eternal said:
I'm reading "Heretic" by Bernard Cornwell, about Grail-hunting in 14th century France.

Tut tut! Any decent grammar nazi knows that one should never start a sentence with a verb! :p

I'm kinda thinking that's the point.

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Just finished 'Thief of Time', Pratchett and started 'The Boat of a Million Years', by Poul Anderson which seems like it's going to be quite good so far. It's a fairly large SF novel and I haven't read a SF in ages; it starts out in the ancient world on Earth and tracks mankind's progression into outer space and beyond. I'm a bit frustrated with it because I can't wait to get to the outer space bits but I know it's all going to link up somehow so I just have to soldier through it. It is actually quite interesting, I'm reading about ancient China atm and keep forgetting it's a SF novel...

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
I'm about to start His Dark Materials but as I'll probably get something to read this xmas I may save those until I'm back at work :)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Recieved Pompeii from my mother today, gonna tuck into that tomorow!

gremlin

One of Freddy's beloved
Aoami said:
Recieved Pompeii from my mother today, gonna tuck into that tomorow!
Ooh cool, quite fancy reading that myself at some point. Robert Harris is a top author.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Whipped said:
Reading "Stupid White Men" by Michael Moore. Some very scary observations of the American politcal system in there.
Read it, v good.

Finishing off D,WMC atm. Equally great, and scary.

Cthulhu

Fledgling Freddie
Just finished Stalingrad by Antony Beevor, great stuff.
Now reading The Cold Six Thousand - James Ellroy, a pretty warped take on 60's USA.
Anyone read Touching the Void or seen the film yet??

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
currently reading -
Donna Tartt - The Little Friend
Just finished in the last month that I can remember offhand)
Joe R Lansdale - A Thin Dark Line
Joe R Lansdale - The Bottoms
Stephen Fry - Moab is my Washpot
Neil Gaimen - American Gods

Currently got about 10 books in a pile to work my way through starting with Sun Tse - The art of war and Ovid - Love poems.

+ finally starting work on my 2nd proto-novel (not that I ever finished the first as I realised half way through the plot was going nowhere!)

Astfgl

Fledgling Freddie
Currently reading Pyramids by Pratchett, for about the millionth time.

I just read them all over and over again.

Talyn

Can't get enough of FH
Pomegranites fair and fine.

Couldn't tell you the author off hand, but it's a novel based on the White Wolf World of Darkness...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
John Grisham - The King of Torts and James Patterson - Four Blind Mice.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Just finished John Simpson's 'The Wars Against Saddam Taking the Hard Road to Baghdad'

A very good read and by jove it sure makes me annoyed at the americans. Saddam was quite a character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom