Religion What would you do for 8 years more life?

soze

I am a FH squatter
I'm saying, it could be you, but you don't want it. Why?
Asked and answered. He thinks enjoying his life now is a better use of his time than doing something he dose not enjoy just to hypothetically extend his life 8 years.

You like exercise and I am pleased for you. Even in my younger fitter days I never ever enjoyed running and weight training. Different strokes and all that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
you're coming across as some sort of religious nut who can't accept that atheists don't want to believe in his god...

I'm just asking why, is all. Not saying you have to.

I've also stated for me it was the fact that when I tried to get on the exercise bandwagon before my operation I couldn't do it because it literally sucked the sweat off a dead man's balls. The barrier for entry into the "fit club" was too high for me.

For me the only reason I got past that barrier is that I had to after an operation. I'm just interested in the reasons other people don't do/like it.

The UK is an increasingly obese and unfit country. The media bleats on about exercise all the time, but as far as I can tell people aren't taking it up in droves.

If that is going to change we need to know why. Which is the question I'm asking. Why don't people want to when they can see the clear, obvious and life-changing benefits?

Edit:
just to hypothetically extend his life 8 years.
Soze, I don't know why you keep banging on about this tiny little thing when I've clearly stated life-changing benefits, mental health benefits, long term mobility benefits, social benefits, antidepressive benefits. There are a plethora of benefits over and above the headline "longer life" twaddle that I've said is just twaddle...

georgie

FH is my second home
It's not a "I know better than you" - it's an "I've been in the same place as you" statement.

I'm saying, it could be you, but you don't want it. Why?

lol, you sound like a born again Christian.

georgie

FH is my second home
Actually, forget I said that. The last thing we need is another religion thread.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
lol, you sound like a born again Christian.

I sound like a bloke asking a question about something real with scientifically measurable objectives. I'm interested in the social dynamic.

Faith, spirituality and god has nothing to do with it. But I knew there'd be resistence to a proper, open and frank discussion from those who choose not to exercise, possibly a lot of mud slinging - which is why I chose to preceed the thread with the "religion" tag. I knew I'd be accused of evangelising rather than trying to find out the reasons why humans choose not to hugely improve their lifelong physical and mental circumstances.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Soze, I don't know why you keep banging on about this tiny little thing when I've clearly stated life-changing benefits, mental health benefits, long term mobility benefits, social benefits, antidepressive benefits. There are a plethora of benefits over and above the headline "longer life" twaddle that I've said is just twaddle...
Because it is the fecking thread title. And is the question you asked. You got an answer and now you are changing the question so you can preach. Just live with it the answer is because people would rather enjoy what they are doing that exercise.

I leave home at 07.45 go and work all day then get home at 19.00. I will not ride to work and I believe any one who does and subjects everyone in the office to their BO and bollock sweat smell all day is a cunt. When I get home I can cook dinner and do the dishes by 20.00 then I go to bed between 23.00 and 23.30 which leave exactly 3.30 hours a day for me to do everything I need to do. At the weekends I might have more time if I am not working or on call. So no all your benefits are not worth it for me. I would rather go for a meal with friends, go to the cinema or even play on the PS4 that use those 3 hours to do some exercising. Am I right in saying you currently don't work and haven't been the whole time you have made this change in your life? Even if i said that 2 nights a week I would set days aside to Exercise it would mean doing something I hate hoping that after an indeterminate amount of time I might start to enjoy it?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

I'll answer each one then, since the previous 10 answers didn't suffice your why;

Life-changing = Yes it would change my life, anything can, but i don't feel for the better.
Mental health = No need for such improvements, and i can spend my time with better mental health activities.
Long term mobility = F*cking hoverboards.
Social benefits = No need, doing just fine (arguably more so since i believe you're in a relationship).
Antidepressive = I'd be more depressed because i'm wasting my time doing something i don't like and also more tired.
Longer life = i'll take my chances and enjoy every moment.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Nice answer. Thank you :)

I happen to agree that time is the biggest problem for most people. (Hence my pop at capitalism in my first post - what's the point in "raising living standards" if people haven't got the time to do the living?)

As for doing something you hate - it's the first month. After that the majority of the unpleasant exertion goes away. But if you're pushed into 12 hour days every day then it doesn't leave you enough for enjoying all the other temptations in life.

For me, the other stuff - internets, gaming - will go (starting next week - contract in Barnsley which is an hour or so away by car each way) - but the exercise won't. Previously it was the other way round for me, but nowadays I don't want to lose what I've currently got. Perhaps that's one of the reasons? People don't know what they're missing?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
also more tired.
Wrong, bags more energy. Verging on hyper amounts.

Long term mobility = F*cking hoverboards
In reality:
fat_woman_on_scooter_31238072543+-+2.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Dunno why the facepalm @old.Tohtori - I'm making a serious point where you brushed over the issue with a glib remark.

You only have to walk around town centres in the UK to see that a lot of people seriously struggle - and those are the ones that can get about town, never mind the legions of retired people who are sat indoors because leaving the house is too much of a hassle.

Housebound retirement?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So, yeah, can't take any answer you don't like then. Right. Nice talk.

Yeah, getting old means getting fat and being homebound. Repent sinners and embrace our lord and savior Jecycle!

FYI; you weren't talking about the situation with old people and how things are bad in the UK, you asked "Why you no exersice?"

And i was serious about hoverboards too.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Come on @old.Tohtori. I'm still hoping you'll have a serious talk about it. The thread is clearly about the whole-life benefits and why people choose not to. The fact is that without exercise getting old does mean effectively a housebound retirement for an awful lot of people - people like my mum and the shitload of people who live in the same beach-front flats as she does.

She makes it as far as the beach, across the road, then watches the joggers, cyclists and people on their power-kites and goes "looks too much like hard work" before going inside to watch pap-TV.

Two miles down the beach around the very pretty headland is a small town with a lot of lovely cafe's which is frequented by very well-to-do people. But she's not got the legs to get herself there and, more importantly, not got the impetus to do so.

Her immediate family, who have kept themselves in reasonable nick (including my Auntie, who's been a keen golfer for her entire life @Bodhi, so I'll give you that one) are booking holidays abroad - but have stopped inviting my mum despite 50 years of close friendship.

Why? Because she's a drag on everyone because she can't do the things that they take for granted, and rather than be hobbled into inactivity on a holiday they choose to leave her behind. And I can't blame them.

It's not like she's disabled (though she's been given a badge - so medically, technically, she is) - it's through choice. It's because she's chosen to not move her body and now age has caught up with her, her muscles aren't up to the job and, more importantly, psychologically she's not got the "get up and go" that a lifetime of pushing yourself into doing a basic level of physical activity (half an hour a day of being out of breath, half an hour) gives you...

So yeah. This thread is about all this sort of stuff. People might not like to think about the future. In fact, humans aren't very good at it full stop. So I thought I'd bring up the realities of the situation...

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Does cycling actually give you an extra 8 years life, or does it just make it seem 8 years longer with all the tedious cycling, crotch chafing and preaching you end up doing?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Come on @old.Tohtori. I'm still hoping you'll have a serious talk about it. The thread is clearly about the whole-life benefits and why people choose not to.

That has been answered. Why has been answered. Your mother is none of my concern, it's just another excuse for you to fearmonger people, not discuss, fearmonger how exersice isn't an option. But praise Jecycle for you to tell us the "realities".

Now answer this; why do you feel the need to have other people validate your life choices?

Because that's what this is, you wanting me to go "Oh yes'um, i'll get on my bike and peddle like there's a twinky at the end of the road 'cause you've opened my eyes to the wonders of body fitness."

Disclaimer; above might contain unhealthy amounts of cynicism, consult your physician and don't cycle for 30 minutes after consumption.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Bodhi, @old.Tohtori - it's not a thread about cycling. That just happens to be my chosen thang. I just posted that my auntie kept herself in good nick through golf - which is something I thought you'd be all in favour of bodhi.

As for fearmongering toht! Fucking lol! What's fearmongering about it? Use it or lose it - fact!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Why don't I buy into this regime you suggest?

Because I find my life at the moment perfectly fine. I am happy doing what I am doing.

If I was unhappy I would be trying to find something else to make it change but I am not.

My gran just died the last six years of her life she didn't know who she was. So yes I can do exercise or eat ten portions of fruit and veg. But I have no kids and not likely to have any. I am not interested in the social benefit, I am married already etc. I may be a bit over weight but it's stable not increasing.

There is no reason for me to put so etching into my life that I have hated since PE at school.

I am an adult and can make the choices I decide. And I decide to do the ones that make me happiest.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
it's not a thread about cycling. That just happens to be my chosen thang.

Yes and i'm taking the piss out of your "thang", but nice of you to ignore a direct question, unlike others who have answered yours.

Here it is again, in case your english skills failed you; why do you feel the need to have other people validate your life choices?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fair enough @Moriath. Completely agree with that. In fact, it's precicely where I was before my operation.

The question then is - would being a lot less mobile in your later years not impinge on your pleasure? Like I said, I didn't realise what I was missing until I got there and didn't really think about the implications of my lack of fitness until I became fit...

@old.Tohtori - I didn't duck your question. I thought you were taking the piss and ranting. The thread, clearly, is nothing to do with self-validation. It's what it says on the tin, repeatedly...

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Fair enough @Moriath. Completely agree with that.

It's pretty much the same answer i gave, even in more detail. Go figure.

The question then is - would being a lot less mobile in your later years not impinge on your pleasure? Like I said, I didn't realise what I was missing until I got there and didn't really think about the implications of my lack of fitness until I became fit...

I don't have problems with realising how fit/unfit i am. You did. You keep going back to "i did, i was", yet fail to realise not all people are Scouse.

@old.Tohtori - I didn't duck your question. I thought you were taking the piss and ranting. The thread, clearly, is nothing to do with self-validation. It's what it says on the tin, repeatedly...

Yes it is. It has no other purpose then for you to say "Look at what i'm doing it's great!". You're certainly not actually concerned about people here not being fit in their lateryears.

So it leaves one option, as Sherlock would say, and that would be the right one; you want other people to agree with you that exersicing is grat so you can feel better about your life choice.

I'll refer to earlier;

Come on @old.Tohtori. I'm still hoping you'll have a serious talk about it.

Then do so and stop dodging.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Stop calling me a liar, for starters... I can't help it if you're emotionally deficient enough to be unable to understand that some people do actually care about the fortunes of others. Even "strangers".

Yes. I'm genuinely concerned that people blindly enter old age and then go "fuck".

...a slight reading of mine and my families circumstances would give you that insight, and perhaps you'd think that I would spare other people the same?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well ignored again, have another facepalm.

I've been rather polite also, i haven't for example bombed your whole discussion with the -facts- that there are as many people enjoying old age to the fullest(not physical, ENJOYING) without exersice and that your amazing feeling from exercise after a hard and cruelsome start is only due to the high you get and now you're addicted to it.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Fair enough @Moriath. Completely agree with that. In fact, it's precicely where I was before my operation.

If I had to do it after an operation or something to get mobile etc I would. But I'm not for future maybe benefit. My dad died when he was 52 of cancer after being fairly fit and doing a job that he didn't much like for most of his life.

So I go for the here and now not the ifs and maybes of a future that might not be there.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
8 extra years being a sanctimonious cunt? Who wants to inflict that on the world? You and Tom really do sound like Jehovah's Witnesses. "Have You Heard The Good News?" My brother's a cycling fanatic and is equally irritating about it. Its all that fucking serotonin, it rots your brain and makes you boring as hell.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Just realised what it sounds like the most; ex-smokers (not all, the preachy ones)

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Her immediate family, who have kept themselves in reasonable nick (including my Auntie, who's been a keen golfer for her entire life @Bodhi, so I'll give you that one) are booking holidays abroad - but have stopped inviting my mum despite 50 years of close friendship.

Why? Because she's a drag on everyone because she can't do the things that they take for granted, and rather than be hobbled into inactivity on a holiday they choose to leave her behind. And I can't blame them.

This is a big part of it for me. I hate seeing friends left out of fun activities because they aren't fit enough.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
This is a big part of it for me. I hate seeing friends left out of fun activities because they aren't fit enough.
What's fun for one isn't for another. I hate beach holidays but others love them doesn't mean I need to go on them because my mate thinks it's fun.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What's fun for one isn't for another. I hate beach holidays but others love them doesn't mean I need to go on them because my mate thinks it's fun.

Same that you get when "all" your friends go to a movie you don't care for/have seen. Saying no is only logical, but yeah.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Yeah you may not like mountain climbing or whatever, but eventually you'll be like Scouse's Mum and even walking/touring will be too much of a stretch.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Because it is the fecking thread title. And is the question you asked. You got an answer and now you are changing the question so you can preach. Just live with it the answer is because people would rather enjoy what they are doing that exercise.

I leave home at 07.45 go and work all day then get home at 19.00. I will not ride to work and I believe any one who does and subjects everyone in the office to their BO and bollock sweat smell all day is a cunt. When I get home I can cook dinner and do the dishes by 20.00 then I go to bed between 23.00 and 23.30 which leave exactly 3.30 hours a day for me to do everything I need to do. At the weekends I might have more time if I am not working or on call. So no all your benefits are not worth it for me. I would rather go for a meal with friends, go to the cinema or even play on the PS4 that use those 3 hours to do some exercising. Am I right in saying you currently don't work and haven't been the whole time you have made this change in your life? Even if i said that 2 nights a week I would set days aside to Exercise it would mean doing something I hate hoping that after an indeterminate amount of time I might start to enjoy it?

Sucks to be you.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well, it does, because he's an Arsenal fan, but that's not relevant to this discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom