What is it with people?

Zill

Loyal Freddie
I've lost count the amount of times I've said hello to players or ask if they want to group being met with complete silence, as if they're interpruting it as: "Hi, would you like to group up with me so I can barrage you with questions while I take all the loot as we fight, then conclude our time together by adding you to my friends list so I can message you to group again and ask more pointless questions everytime you log on?"

It doesn't hurt to show a little courtesy even if its to tell me to fuck off. We're suppose to be united as Europeans <chuckle>. At this rate I'm going to head to the American servers to hang around with bucktoothed rednecks from Ohio. Well at least they say hello to you!

But there have been times when players have eventually replied to me and I've wished perhaps they hadn't bothered :eek:

WoW3.jpg

arawem

Loyal Freddie
guess "gut gay 11" is an insult or something :m00: soz, dont know english that good, if it is, and he/she was serious then: :puke:

Marcus75

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry to hear it, the language spoken on general is really horrible at times so I will most likely leave that channel with my toons soon. People complaining on everything, on spanish people, on quests and whatnot.

In my opinion its just that the game has huge amounts of kids in it, both spanish and others, that really only can scream insults left and right instead of talk like normal people.

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
/1 is the most annoying chat in the world, i guess i dont leave it for the comedic value mainly because when orcs are dancing with pvp disabled people jump to the conclusion they are spies, never think they might be exploring etc.. but most of the time its 10year olds thinking that if they swear at people they are cool.

Mort

Fledgling Freddie
Wow Nightwitch has the mad conversation skills ;)

To be honest though random people i've grouped with have all been pretty sound. Polite and even generous. Granted the people i've randomly grouped with can be counted on one hand but i haven't been playing long.

With responses like the one below though who needs anything else. you should have persued the conversation to see where they were going with that one :D

Good luck finding some sane/coherant conversation in the future.

Ashandar

Fledgling Freddie
Now ya mention this.. i found WoW EU to be like that.. if ya not in a guild in particular.. forget random 'chats' and if u do get a grp it will likely be with someone to whom English is a 2nd language, so that just complicates matters...what seems like ignorance.. is a plain language barrier (although everyone should understand 'RUN!!!!' imo ;) )

I dunno.. i found US WoW to have 'friendlier' ppl, might be that i just havent met the right ppl yet :/

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
I usually try to reply to any hellos or sundry greetings I get in game, but if I'm concentrating on what I'm doing or looking at another chat window I sometimes don't notice and invariably shoot past the person at cheetah speed and then they're a dot on the horizon before I notice the polite "Hello" or "excuse me." Then I feel bad. :(

The problem is I feel bad turning people down for groups. If I'm in the game solo then I'm invariably solo for a reason, but I feel selfish saying "no" to someone who asks for a group.

The point where confusion reigns, invariably the long period of silence before responding to someone, is where an individual comes up to my group of friends. There are usually 5 of us, somewhere in the middle of nowhere, and this lone person will come up and ask "is there space in your group?" Which momentarily fries my brain. Yes, I guess there is a remote chance that of the 5 of us present are not actually a full group, but its not likely now is it?

Even worse, is when someone asks, and you respond saying "sorry, we're a full group" and they say "any space for me?"

I give up at that point. My brain caves in under the weirdness.

Rookiescot

Fledgling Freddie
Dunno about you guys but I find the chat system in WoW far more cumbersom than the one in DAoC.
It might just be me but I do tend to miss someone speaking sometimes. Its not intentional but it does happen.
Course it might just be that because WoW is new to me I'm spending more time looking at the scenery than at the text box.
BTW please do not confuse my toon Mudwitch or Mudwytch with that muppet in the screenie :)

Kokelimonkelmedisin

Fledgling Freddie
Zill said:
I've lost count the amount of times I've said hello to players or ask if they want to group being met with complete silence

yeah ditto, I kinda get annoyed if I ask people if they want to group up,
or if they are seen "insert named" monster around this aerea etc and they
dont reply at all.

I mean a simple no, busy, or whatever will do for me as long as they dont
completely ignore me. Ff they do I can't help but wonder if I sent it to the wrong
person, if he is afk or does he not know that the fast reply key ingame is "r"?

Ofcourse I have run into some very nice people allso ^^
But in daoc people were more polite to strangers, at least from what I experienced :p,
and ofcourse when it came to exp, loot or whatever some pople were
jackasses but ^^ I expect that in wow allso.. human nature is to be happy
when you have a bit more etc.

fionnel

Fledgling Freddie
General chat is pure comedy, i just can't forget the level 14 orc that was screaming at 1: 'Kill those alliance fags someone, i can't complete my quests' while he was in Rachet, not realising that if he had not rushed to attack all 5 times, they could have never killed him.

Also the amount of !!!!!! at /1 is just ununbelievable, most people propably think you need to type / at the start and !!!! at the end of your sentence in this game to speak in /1. Also, today on Deathwing 8 alliance people somehow became '50 ALLIANCE ATTACKING XR!!!!!!111, ALL COME!!!!111'.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
I left /general for a different reason.

I play on Argent Dawn, which is a roleplay declared server. Now I think Blizzard said this wasn't specifically for RP (private channels are reserved for RP only and public channels for anything else server/quest/whatever related - That's to the best of my knowledge) but most other channels were.

In general there have been a heck of a lot of people asking technical questions which in all honesty I can't see being asked in character (how do you ask for a specific level character in your group without dealing with a load of tells asking what level etc, or where some particular quest mob/location is, it's a grey area as far as i'm concerned), it's very vague and does require some ooc (out of character) chat, which I believe is necessary, largely because people could go insane if they stayed in character for hours on end (I know I would after speaking gibberish for that long :p). But staying IC (In character) would help greatly for the atmosphere of the server as a whole, I personally think it's great having huge long IC conversations with people about whatever the feck, it's just a part of the game. Some people might say it's dull but lets face it, Roleplay isn't that far fetched from watching a soap opera; if they were in any way realistic it'd consist of majorly people sat down watching blood soaps fgs (think royale family ;)), anyhow, I digress...

I left /general for a couple of reasons, I don't consider myself a particularly good roleplayer, but I try and that's good enough for me, if other people try, that also is good enough for me. It's when they make no bloody effort at all that irks me somewhat; in the first 15 minutes of me joining Argent Dawn, no less than three people asked what RP meant. I don't mean to be elitist here, but if they don't know what a particular tag meant, why did they join? Further more, why did they stay after they found out and had no intention of roleplaying int eh first place. Many a time have I seen people arguing over /general whether or not that channel should be used for IC chat rather than OOC, that is why I left it, because there's no cohesion, it just ended up as a bickering channel, two or three times per session would I see these arguments arise, it did become annoying after some time and I left as a result, nothing worth listening to was said on there as far as I cared, and I did join /roleplay to see how that was, but that was the same (saw two sentence spoken on that channel in 4 days and both were ooc) so I left that also.

Anyhow, I suppose at the end of the day it all comes down to how you feel about the channel, if it's useless you may as well leave it, if it isn't agreeable to you you may as well leave it, if you like it, don't leave it, and if you don't want to miss anything, then don't leave it. There's always a bit of give and take about anything and this is no exception, meh, shit happens.

... This post went on for a bit longer than I anticipated, nerf alcohol I suppose, meh.

:)

oblimov

Luver of Buckfast
majority of peeps ive spoke to have been quite friendly tbh

However tehre was this one dude in a grp with us in deadmines who kept spamming grp chat with

Im a lv 25 rogue!!!!!!im f*&*(ing invincible!!!!

ANd running into all the mobs and getting us killed

Guy just didnt seem to understand either english or common sense so that was pretty frustrating

Btw if you join a uk guild i find its much easier :D

Solo

Fledgling Freddie
being on teamspeak i forget how to type ingame :p

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
FuzzyLogic said:
in the first 15 minutes of me joining Argent Dawn, no less than three people asked what RP meant. I don't mean to be elitist here, but if they don't know what a particular tag meant, why did they join?

They probably thought it was the "Realm Point" server, where they could become "1337" faster than anywhere else.

So no, I don't think your elitist at all for losing patience with those people. To my mind these people are no better than a random idiot logging onto a regular server and asking what "WoW" means.

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
As someone else said, I too try to answer the greetings that come along in the game and any requests for grps IF they're put nicely. If someone simply says "grp" or "invite" or even "invite ME!", they'll get ignored. I've even encountered several who's been mad at me because I've declined their grp invitation without a response. Why should I bother saying I'm busy or something like that when ppl don't even bother asking if I want to grp before inviting me?

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Aremeriel said:
I've even encountered several who's been mad at me because I've declined their grp invitation without a response. Why should I bother saying I'm busy or something like that when ppl don't even bother asking if I want to grp before inviting me?

I've not yet had people get mad at me for declining a group invite, but it does cheese me off to have the invite window spammed in my face repeatedly without anyone messaging me to ask if I actually want an invite. Its all the more insidious when its being done by a character 13 lvls your junior. You start thinking that perhaps the person doing the inviting does not have something in mind thats beneficial to all the parties involved.

Naewae

Fledgling Freddie
Aremeriel said:
I've even encountered several who's been mad at me because I've declined their grp invitation without a response.
The FIRST time I ever logged onto the game I only had 30 minutes left to play (I was at lunch hour at work!) and I got spammed a group invite by an idiot I won't name publicly. I explained I was new, had only 30 minutes and intended to spend that time learning the interface.

I immediately got told I was a "%^&$ head" and then got spammed with 'Ante gamisou' and 'ela na se gamiso' until I /ignored him. It didn't take me long to look it up on Google. (It's Greek for the F word.)

Needless to say I reported him. What an introduction to a new game :(

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
Naewae, it's things like that that really annoys me. I once leveled a tauren to 5 (not much, was in FB and the server my main was on was down). While killing a named mob for a quest someone (can't even remember the name) spammed invites on me without asking and i declined each time, knowing I'd just kill that mob and then log off. Got a PM saying "You f** ing ego."
I was like "huh?" so I replied with "Thank you so much for that nice compliment and have you ever heard about the word polite? Guess not".

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, if they'd actually bothered to ask politely along the lines of "I need that mob for a quest as well, do you mind if we group?" then you could've considered the offer.

But no, these people put their need before politeness and just spam invites, because what they want is more important than stopping to ask first.

I do hope some of those people are reading this thread. I hope they learn something from it, though probably all they'll learn is that this a new and exciting way for their pre-pubescent minds to annoy others.

Spix

Fledgling Freddie
I wont agree on the ask before invite when someone is killing a quest mob, if it is a rare/slow spawn it is common sense to invite anyone around if you have room in group so they get the kill credit. I find it alot more selfish to not invite the newcomers then them inviting you without asking. Did you ask if they wanted the mob aswell? no you just bash away thinking of yourself forcing them to spam invites.
You realy dont have time to type, "hello oh superior being, do you mind if I can join you so I get the quest done aswell?" before you have killed the mob and logged out...

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Spix said:
I wont agree on the ask before invite when someone is killing a quest mob, if it is a rare/slow spawn it is common sense to invite anyone around if you have room in group so they get the kill credit. I find it alot more selfish to not invite the newcomers then them inviting you without asking. Did you ask if they wanted the mob aswell?

If I'm waiting in the area for a quest mob to spawn and others arrive I ask if they are after the same mob first, I don't spam invites at them. If they don't respond my query, I don't invite them, its that simple. Spamming invites to people just because you assume they are after a quest mob is rude, not common sense.

Furthermore, there are plenty of people out there who, have a sufficiently superior attitude that not only will they a) not respond to a polite query but b) hang around to tag the mob themselves, thus achieving 2 goals. Pissing me off and getting the quest done. Before now I've asked people if they are after the same mob, they've not responded. They've then had the temerity to insult me when I pull it. Now thats a "superior" attitude as work.

If they arrive too late, i.e, I've already tagged and pulled the mob, then they should still ask. I will not respond to spammed invites, I consider it rude. Its unfortunate that their timing was bad, if they'd arrived in time to ask, different story.

Spix said:
You realy dont have time to type, "hello oh superior being, do you mind if I can join you so I get the quest done aswell?" before you have killed the mob and logged out...

I consider people who just spam invites to be of the "superior being" mentality. As I said, if I'm waiting for a spawn and others arrive, I ask if they are after it. If they don't have the good manners to respond, I'm not going to send them an invite. If I don't have time to type anything, its because I'm already fighting the mob, in which case they are too late, in which case tough, unless they bother to ask.

If I see someone is already fighting the mob I want, I just wait my turn. There is usually not enough time to ask anyway and I'd rather help the person kill the tagged mob and get them out of the way than spam invites, as I consider that rude. I will wait for repop and do the quest in my own time. I consider that to be common sense and good manners.

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
Spix said:
Who said you had to write all that? A simple Can I join plz, would be better than just spam invites and then insulting you afterwards.
In the example I used, there were no one else around when I pulled the mob, even during the spam invites I couldn't see the person, as he was standing far behind me. The person who spammed invites on me and insulted me afterwards could have been on another continent for all I knew

L0stS0ul

Fledgling Freddie
Yes this does seem more common on the EU servers, played the US for 2 months and although it had its fair share of idiots, you could usually get some sense out of them & group up.....
So far my experience of EU wow consists of being ignored when asking people to grp for a named mob/chief for a quest (people please understand i dont want your phat loot i just want the guys head/medalion whatever (and we all get that drop))
Or being spammed to duel in the middle of mob infested lands..... like erm excuse me i have a high % to die from NPCs in this area as it is...... let me just get my health down to low % dueling you so that i may aggro that mob over there......
:twak:
Abit of politeness doesnt take much, improves EVERYONES gaming experience and we'd all be alot happier.....
Ohwell i can always dream :eek7:

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
People ignoring chat is pretty common in MMO's. Most likely reasons are they've turned off public-chat or just aren't reading it. Shouldn't always assume they're being arrogant, even though it may be true :p

The 'fast' grouping in WoW is alot different to DAoC. Most of the groups I've joined are to get quest credit, then we split. I don't think it's rude to insta-invite someone who's already pulled a quest mob. They accept the invite, you get credit. They decline, you don't spam /invite, just wait for repop and consider them arrogant, n00b, sexually deviant or whatever suits the situation. If I'm killing a mob and someone invites me, I'll join, kill the mob and leave. That's how quest-grouping works in WoW and I don't understand people who need an introduction before they'll group with you. For an instance or other long term group, sure... you don't want to spend a couple of hours with a freak... but 20secs for mob credit? oO

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
Zill said:

Hehe I like the fact he says he's gay (i guess) then the Scarlet bodyguard runs away in fear. They are reknowned for their homophobia.

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
i've grouped outside the guild once since i've been playing and that was in Gnomeregan....

never again, they actually wanted me to be the only healer and run round pressing the buttons on the final encounter, needless to say i politely told them to use theur brains.

my experience from betas was that grouping with random people, for whatever reason slows me down and leaves me banging my head on the table when a paladin rolls on a cloth drop because it has stamina on

mank!

Part of the furniture
I've found that most people I've grouped with have been two things, firstly they're invariably Dutch and secondly they're invariably nice. Which is cool by me. Earlier today I got a bit of abuse from two different people who I declined a group invite from because I only had to kill two more mob's before I was done and I didn't want to join a group, get my kills then bugger off and leave them to it. I thought that was pretty fair of me and I even said politely that I was nearly finished.

It's just an internet thing.

Wyleia

Fledgling Freddie
If you have problems seeing messages, click on the general tab, click create new window, call it chat, and then click on chat tab and send all /say and /tell to that window. Now move click and hold on that tab and move it over to some part of the screen where u can see it.. or leave it in your main bar and it will start to glow when ppl use /say or /tell to you :)

seaotter

Fledgling Freddie
Unless its a quest mob i do tend to ignore spam invites with no conversation before hand but then again if someone wants to group with me they have got to be pretty desperate.As for general 'hi' and 'hello' i tend to find that my typing speed lets me down but i've found the range on <bow> great so i just /bow afterwards. Have met some really nice people so far and some complete idiots but that just mirrors real life so i just think 'tosser' smile and carry on because at the end of the day the real prats will be asking me if i want fries with my big mac if i ever meet them in rl:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom