Music What are you listening to right now?

bainteor

Banned
I am just disillusioned with modern music. Videos these days have as much distraction as possible to draw attention away from the limited talent of the musicians and the lacklustre, recycled songs, as the one above. That is my opinion and the opinion of most professional music critics, but I am not saying it is right, it is only correct in my own eyes.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I am just disillusioned with modern music. Videos these days have as much distraction as possible to draw attention away from the limited talent of the musicians and the lacklustre, recycled songs, as the one above. That is my opinion and the opinion of most professional music critics, but I am not saying it is right, it is only correct in my own eyes.
I honestly don't understand how you can claim modern musicians are lacking in talent, of course unless you have an ear for what you're listening to everything will sound the same and lackluster. Had I posted the latest JLS hit or similar shit I'd be with you, but a bunch of young lads doing what they love, to say it's 'not good' just baffles me.

Helme

Resident Freddy
There's lots of talent in modern music, they just don't get as much attention as the Biebers or what have you. As an example of what I mean, I absolutely adore Amy MacDonald despite being what basically boils down to a metalhead, because she is very talented.

bainteor

Banned
I honestly don't understand how you can claim modern musicians are lacking in talent, of course unless you have an ear for what you're listening to everything will sound the same and lackluster. Had I posted the latest JLS hit or similar shit I'd be with you, but a bunch of young lads doing what they love, to say it's 'not good' just baffles me.

Of course people are still talented. Humans don't change over a period of 50 years. I just think the attitude of society, the way people are brought up, the technology available to us is breeding a type of music that just is superficial, and it isn't good enough. I am not being stubborn - I am merely saying the truth, and no one can seriously deny that mainstream these days is anything but, in all honestly, dire. I have no objection to a group of lads forming a band and playing music that is relevent to the 21st century, that's fine to me.

As I mentioned, the times are different. The world, quite frankly, isn't as nice a place (or perhaps we are more aware of the fact that it is not so) - and the music that is popular reflects this. There is a lot of dubbing and editing these days too, even in records in which these traits may not appear to be discernably prominent. Listen to Elvis, 'That's All Right', which was recorded as if it were live. A classic, and I doubt you will find many songs that are recorded like this nowadays.

I enjoy debating so feel free to reply.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Of course people are still talented. Humans don't change over a period of 50 years. I just think the attitude of society, the way people are brought up, the technology available to us is breeding a type of music that just is superficial, and it isn't good enough. I am not being stubborn - I am merely saying the truth, and no one can seriously deny that mainstream these days is anything but, in all honestly, dire. I have no objection to a group of lads forming a band and playing music that is relevent to the 21st century, that's fine to me.

As I mentioned, the times are different. The world, quite frankly, isn't as nice a place (or perhaps we are more aware of the fact that it is not so) - and the music that is popular reflects this. There is a lot of dubbing and editing these days too, even in records in which these traits may not appear to be discernably prominent. Listen to Elvis, 'That's All Right', which was recorded as if it were live. A classic, and I doubt you will find many songs that are recorded like this nowadays.

I enjoy debating so feel free to reply.
I'm with you regarding 'mainstream' music these days, I can't get away with the stuff, the passion and any sense of originality are completely gone. Music appears to be heading (or rather has arrived) in the same direction as the likes of the film/gaming industry etc, all about the money. Not that I'm saying the music business shouldn't work like this, but it truly drains all diversity with what's in the charts.

I tend to listen to a lot more 'indie' bands these days, not to be a pretentious music snob hipster, but because this is where true talent still lies, groups of people doing what they love, not for money, but for themselves and the fans. The song I posted earlier is almost as far from mainstream as you can get, but without any current knowledge of the charts and what is popular, you can't really be expected to know that, especially if you're still living circa 1950 (;)). I have an odd album or two that are recorded live, with basically no production value or overdub and they're some of my favourites, quite a lot of what I enjoy has a very raw sound to it, anything with auto-tune in can suck a nut.

It truly is a shame the way the music industry is headed, I'd have loved to have been around 50 years ago just to experience what it was like back then.

Everz

FH is my second home
Could it be argued that taste defines what is 'mainstream'?

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Not bad Everz. It's bin a whiled since I last heared Eminem rapping instead of yelling. Song is on the new cd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom