Games What are some of your favorite MMOs?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Try and remove the insults by making MMO games where your skill level doesn't entirely depend on the sheer number of hours you sink into it then for fucks sake :D

They did, it was called Jumpgate.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Don't say that! The MMO fools have yet to reaslise that time spent does not necessarily equal ability gained.

Err, before you start taking the piss out of something you don't happen to like, look at what you yourself produce. a sparkly spreadsheet that is easy as piss to beat through learning the system. I imagine avid fans of your sim spend countless hours playing that...are you taking the piss out of your customers too?

some people don't like MMOs, we get it. now move along to a non-gaming forum if you don't want to see gaming discussion.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Again simply not true. I've been playing Quake 3/Live for a decade and I'm much worse now than I was a few years ago. Yet I've spent more hours playing. So it's simply not true.

It's not true btw.

Then you're not learning, adapting, or in internet terms "you're doiong it wrong". Usually people get better when they do anything for a long period of time :p

You can't design a game for failure, or to reward it.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Then you're not learning, adapting, or in internet terms "you're doiong it wrong". Usually people get better when they do anything for a long period of time :p

You can't design a game for failure, or to reward it.

No, it's because there's a natural level of ability you can reach with things like aiming. You can't get infinitely better at shooting targets.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Try and remove the insults by making MMO games where your skill level doesn't entirely depend on the sheer number of hours you sink into it then for fucks sake :D

GW2

Spvp = level playing field, skill alone.

Wvw = no real gear grind to speak off. 2 weeks played vs 2 months played = no noticeable difference in mechanical performance. A fight between those two toons would be decided by player skill.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Err, before you start taking the piss out of something you don't happen to like, look at what you yourself produce. a sparkly spreadsheet that is easy as piss to beat through learning the system. I imagine avid fans of your sim spend countless hours playing that...are you taking the piss out of your customers too?

some people don't like MMOs, we get it. now move along to a non-gaming forum if you don't want to see gaming discussion.

I have no idea what my job has to do with my personal opinion on MMOs, shall we bring your line of work into it?

This IS the Non-gaming forum you utter moron. Look at the breadcrumbs. "Home > Forums > Non gaming specific chit chat > The Front Room. It's not like I've waded into the RPG forums and started trolling.

Christ that's a thick post.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Actually, FH is generally speaking a gaming forum, which started as a gaming forum, regardless of what the section title is called, the forum will attract gamers.

I know you (for some unknown reason) think you are something, but you aren't. You are just some prick with a chip on his shoulder. OHMSHOCKER people actually like something you don't!!!! must ridicule it!

You get sand in your vagina quick enough if someone interrupts your group preening in the photography threads so why you do the same here, and simply not post in a thread that doesn't interest you. The OP was asking for people to participate in a questionnaire, not your idiotic opinion of a sub set of gamers.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Anyway, that's the village idiot put back in his box.

Filled in your questionnaire

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Never heard of it :D

The only true skill based MMO I have ever played, level means next to nothing, cash means next to nothing. If you can fly your ship well in PvP combat you can be level 5 with a 100k credits and constantly rape level 50's with best ships, billions of credits and gear but lesser skills.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Sorry Wazz but he does have a point. Football management games seem more pointless than MMOs to me.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
What information do you hope to gain from collecting these stats? I put in my 2 cents, but missing PlanetSide, one of the greatest MMO's ever, for a month anyway.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well, i judge games by entertainment, not by what features and mechanics, or there lack of, there is.

So do I.
WoW has kept me entertained for years, as have other MMOs and as such, they are just as good games as the halflives and morrowwinds out there.

WoW singularly failed to keep me entertained much more than watching a soap opera would.

I played it because my missus and a few mates played it but, for me, the fact that it's skill-free and has nothing to master that can't be mastered by simply putting more hours of your life into it meant that, ultimately, I was getting the same experience I imagine a cow gets when grazing.

MMOs especially still have this absolutely horrendous stigma of "nerdy timewasting nolifer games", which is twice as awful when it's INSIDE the gaming culture that we've tried to remove those stigmas and insults out of for years.

I think the stigma's deserved tbfh. I honestly think that playing Dungeons & Dragons - the board game - is a much better, more social, experience. You also have more to master with the board game because there's an intricate ruleset to learn.

MMO's are the board-game with the intricate detail and use of your own imagination taken out - and no actual-skill-needed-to-play-the-game put in.

Just in case you were wondering, I got to lvl 80 in WoW before my missus got bored, which is when I stopped.

Edit:
Might want to rephrase that since [skill level = number of hours put in is true of] every single game in existence ;)

Blatantly and obviously not true.

That's like saying we'd all be of an equal level of ability with Michael Schumacher if we'd put the same amount of hours into an F1 car that he has.

What would be the point of competetive sport if that was the case? People obviously have differing levels of ability.

MMO's take that all away - and they're gay for it.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I miss daoc sometimes in a way, but im glad i dont sink my life into mmo's like i used to, as im a very casual gamer these days, because no game holds my attention for longer than an hour or two. The argument that its lamer to play an mmo rather than any other type of game is the gayest thing ive ever heard. Its all a fucking waste of time really, whether is WoW, fm, or any other shite.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I wasted a good two years of my life on DAOC. Thank the sweet lord I got to college and discovered alcohol and the chances at getting laid that come with it.

Lightfighter

One of Freddy's beloved
I appreciate the feedback on the survey so far, games like Jumpgate, Legend of Mir and PlanetSide were added, although those of you who already answered the survey won't be able to do it again. I didn't want to make the list too big or intimidating to browse through so I added games that could be considered the most popular, but seems like there's room for some more!

What information do you hope to gain from collecting these stats? I put in my 2 cents, but missing PlanetSide, one of the greatest MMO's ever, for a month anyway.

What we're trying to determine is if a players user experience of a game is changed over time, depending on how many games they played before that. For instance I myself have played quite a few MMOs, however only 2-3 for any substantial amounts of time, coincidentally these were the first MMOs I tried out, daoc being one of the first. What we're interested in figuring out is if having played these games affect your expectations of future games (perhaps in a negative way). I personally haven't been able to enjoy WoW / GW2 nearly as much as I enjoyed daoc back in the day (even if they are still good games), I imagine that this is because of my expectations, however it could be just me... So the main question of this study (there are a few others) pretty much boils down to: Does having played more MMOs make you like new MMOs less (or more)?

Basically the answer seems pretty straight forward; ofc your gaming experience is affected by your expectations of that game! However we'd like to know in what way, is it the same for everyone? etc. We expect to be able to determine things like this from the data collected in this survey.

of course factors such as the quality of a game, if it's well designed or not (opinion-based ofc) matter here, however we are looking for more general patterns and ignore some of these factors.

Tell me about, for a while 4-6am farming sessions in Sidi were just ridiculous but I couldn't help myself!

Reminds me of the last few days before the transferes to Ywain when we did a 12-hour-marathon-clear of sidi all the way up to apocalypse with 7 toons that took longer than expected and ended at around 5 am, good times^^

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Age plays a factor as well. Also with your first mmo you get to experience everything for the first time so they are your favourites if they are actually a good game. Mine was daoc

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I think the stigma's deserved tbfh. I honestly think that playing Dungeons & Dragons - the board game - is a much better, more social, experience. You also have more to master with the board game because there's an intricate ruleset to learn.

MMO's are the board-game with the intricate detail and use of your own imagination taken out - and no actual-skill-needed-to-play-the-game put in.

Just in case you were wondering, I got to lvl 80 in WoW before my missus got bored, which is when I stopped.

It takes skill to play an MMO, perhaps not much for a vet gamer, but it's still not automated win button smashing. Otherwise everyone would be equal in skill and -that- is not true.

Use of your own imagination is plenty in MMOs still, especially in the RP side of it. More so even since you're working with limited tools.

You get bored of MMOs, other people play for other reasons then you and don't. Doesn't make it any less of a game and any more stigma worthy as a "nerdy game".

Your whole relationship with WoW is flawed to being with, playing only cause the missus plays and not because you want to play.

Blatantly and obviously not true.

That's like saying we'd all be of an equal level of ability with Michael Schumacher if we'd put the same amount of hours into an F1 car that he has.

What would be the point of competetive sport if that was the case? People obviously have differing levels of ability.

Yes, if you put enough hours into F1 driving, you could challenge Schumacher, and even be better at it. He's so good at it because he's put hours into it, natural skill or no. He didn't just jump in a car and go "wroom i'm champion!"

Same goes with games, you have a natural level, but you still learn and progress as a player the more you spend time with any particular game. That's progression, core element of games.

No, it's because there's a natural level of ability you can reach with things like aiming. You can't get infinitely better at shooting targets.

Yes you can when you take other factors in. You can't get better at keeping mouse pointed at X, but then you bring in motion, reaction, adaptivity etc.

I can't believe some people think that hours spent on X doesn't mean they're better at it o_O

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I thought the first half of your post was reasonable Toht and there was a lot to say for it. Didn't agree with all of it but I was going to meet you halfway.

But then you posted this:

Yes, if you put enough hours into F1 driving, you could challenge Schumacher, and even be better at it. He's so good at it because he's put hours into it, natural skill or no.

That's just very very VERY wrong.. Natural skill varies massively amongst the population and is key in things like this - there's some things that, no matter how many hours you put in and how hard you try, some people are just going to be miles better than you.

We are not all created equal.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well the level of natural ability and it's effects on the overall performance wasn't really the issue here, it was about hours spent correlating in better skill.

Can you agree that if you train something, you'll be better at it?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I wouldn't say it takes much skill but a lack of skill soon becomes apparent, otherwise people in the same gear would do the same damage/healing etc...which they don't. There are some frankly terrible players who otherwise are perfectly functioning people, it's not because they are stupid they just don't understand the game mechanics.

Some games are laughably basic and you can learn to beat them easily within a couple of hours, AI is usually a peace of piss to abuse (within the rules of the game)

I also don't particularly agree with the comment that it takes time to be "good" at MMOs, not really, not any more anyway. They have all been pretty much casualised and it takes very little time to get into the top level content...certainly in WoW and the various other MMOs I have played in recent years.

The thing I like about WoW is the social aspect which despite multiplayer being thrown at everything these days is something that is lacking from games really. I am in a good, mature guild, couples, mums, dentists, a copper, even an astrophysicist.
Anyway, it's a pretty outdated and immature view that people who play MMOs have some sort of problem, it shows a total lack of understanding of the industry and gamers in general, pretty funny coming from someone who actually works in the industry.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
But you could still teach those people right? If so, then hours spent equal skill and some just have a faster learning curve due to previous games/games in general ;)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Does having played more MMOs make you like new MMOs less (or more)?
Not imho. I've only ever found one MMO that I've actually enjoyed for any length of time which is Star Trek Online. No other MMO I have ever tried has ever engaged me in any significant way. My memory of DAoC for example was having to smack frogs... it was not fun (for me before everyone that played DAoC blows a fuse).

I think that the only thing that would engage me with a new MMO would be the IP that forms the basis of the MMO. For example Cryptic also run Champions Online, it's effectively the same engine as STO, brilliant character creator but has Zero interest for me. With things like Star Wars: The Old Republic, the IP is so not to my taste I wouldn't install it if it went F2P.

Basically as far as I'm concerned, content is king.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
To be fair most mmos 10 years ago were a case of whacking frogs and whatnot until you got max level. Daoc's end game was the sublime pvp. These days that sort of experience is unacceptable except in the odd asian grindfest. I really wanted to like star trek but I thought they missed the point. If I can find my credentials I intend to see whats changed at point.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
To be fair most mmos 10 years ago were a case of whacking frogs and whatnot until you got max level. Daoc's end game was the sublime pvp. These days that sort of experience is unacceptable except in the odd asian grindfest. I really wanted to like star trek but I thought they missed the point. If I can find my credentials I intend to see whats changed at point.
They've finally put in the PvE it should have launched with, fleets bring in actual "play with others" gameplay (somewhat key for an MMO) and they've finally fully acknowledged that the PvP is complete garbage and needs to be ripped out and re-done from scratch. It's very much still a work in progress to me but then I've always liked flying around and blowing shit up in my ship so it bothers me less than it probably would someone just looking for another MMO.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But you could still teach those people right? If so, then hours spent equal skill and some just have a faster learning curve due to previous games/games in general ;)

It's not about learning curve Toht. It's the fact that time does not equal mastery.

Remember school, when there were some kids in the class who just. didn't. get. it. ?

Life is the same. Sometimes, a lot of the time, no matter how hard you practice, you're still shit.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Basically as far as I'm concerned, content is king.

Same as with the bird. When she'd been to every area she immediately stopped.

I could stomach it as long as the content was there. But I've never felt a compulsion to go back because, despite knowing Dust II backwards, forwards and inside out, that single map has more interest for me than all of WoW.

And I'm not even very good :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The question was if time equals advancement in skill, which happens in every game. Not if you're the best.

Though on that side subject i disagree, given enough time you can teach anyone anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom