War is already dieing

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
i`m not playing war anymore !!

untill they start shipping those damn resub cards to belgium, my sub ran out and `stuff` made me convinced never to use a CC for ANY online purpose anymore.

My bank has a function called E-card. Its a virtual card you create for every buy that you fill with the exact amount of money that you decide is needed for that card. Its an excellent service tbh, see if your bank has something similar. I've used it for 8 years now and it works perfectly, I create a virtual mastercard for every payment I make so I never have to worry about paying over the net.

Its actually a good tip for everyone that pay stuff over the net. My bank doesnt even charge me anything for the service.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They also made TOA and NF ;) jk

Both in my opinion were good, TOA was a nice challenge and added more to your character in working hard to maximise it. NF brought variation into PvP, there was something for everyone. Naturally both had their problems but personally I enjoyed TOA and found there was more space for my play style in NF (solo)

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Both in my opinion were good, TOA was a nice challenge and added more to your character in working hard to maximise it. NF brought variation into PvP, there was something for everyone. Naturally both had their problems but personally I enjoyed TOA and found there was more space for my play style in NF (solo)

There were good points to both, but both also had some very bad effects.

ToA really sucked the greed factor into the game and promoted elitist play. All of sudden we had "must have" items because they were simply too powerful to go without. This led to spawn camping and some nasty arguments and actions by many players.

ToA also introduced another grind level disguised as content. Don't get me wrong, i loved the ToA content but the farm and grind time sinks were poorly thought out.

I for one like NF, i found OF very zergy and bottlenecked and got sick of running all the way to Emain only to be rolled by 100 albs camping the bowl or porting to Hadrians only to get ganked by 20 (radar-abusing imo) stealthers camping the MG. I did miss the fights around the frontier keeps (Ligen etc) though. I know people say we traded the mile gate camping for bridge camping, but at least on a bridge you can see your enemy and can go several ways around to get to them.

Muylaetrix

Can't get enough of FH
My bank has a function called E-card. Its a virtual card you create for every buy that you fill with the exact amount of money that you decide is needed for that card. Its an excellent service tbh, see if your bank has something similar. I've used it for 8 years now and it works perfectly, I create a virtual mastercard for every payment I make so I never have to worry about paying over the net.

Its actually a good tip for everyone that pay stuff over the net. My bank doesnt even charge me anything for the service.

intresting function. never heared of that.

off topic, and we all have come to trust banks with our lives during the last month or two.

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
My sub ran out this weekend, and tbh i doubht ill be renewing.

Not saying dooom, or anything.. Just... Enjoy the game if you can.

Etzel

Fledgling Freddie
DAoC was good because it was one of the first of it's kind, it upped the targets over what EQ and the like were providing, it also entered the arena at a time when people were first discovering MMO's. Good design + good timing = success.

WAR's problem is the WoW has upped the expectation by a number of levels again, i'm sure Mythic can claw their way back but they need patch 1.1, they need to sort the exploiters and they need to create a responsive stable client.

I still say that WAR was pushed early so that it was released in Warhammers 25th anniverery year and I still hope that the game plan is to get a stable release by xmas and drop it in to China/Korea. IMO if they get a good release over there it will have a very positive impact on the road ahead.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
DAoC was good because it was one of the first of it's kind, it upped the targets over what EQ and the like were providing, it also entered the arena at a time when people were first discovering MMO's. Good design + good timing = success.

WAR's problem is the WoW has upped the expectation by a number of levels again, i'm sure Mythic can claw their way back but they need patch 1.1, they need to sort the exploiters and they need to create a responsive stable client.

I still say that WAR was pushed early so that it was released in Warhammers 25th anniverery year and I still hope that the game plan is to get a stable release by xmas and drop it in to China/Korea. IMO if they get a good release over there it will have a very positive impact on the road ahead.

:iagree:

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie

I agree WoW has set people's expectations in some ways (on early/mid-game content, on UI polish, on stability and performance), but I don't see how this relates to fixing exploits. Like all games, WoW has had its fair share and Blizzard haven't been particularly quick fixing them.

WAR has already beaten WoW for me on one similar issue - gold spammers are not so prevalent.

I sincerely hope Mythic do well out of WAR. It's not a perfect game and in some areas it doesn't compete with WoW very well, but in other ways it kicks WoW's arse all around the room.

One interesting thing for me is that I don't think WoW set my expectations regarding PvP/RvR. DAoC did that and WoW failed to live up to them.

Etzel

Fledgling Freddie
I agree WoW has set people's expectations in some ways (on early/mid-game content, on UI polish, on stability and performance), but I don't see how this relates to fixing exploits. Like all games, WoW has had its fair share and Blizzard haven't been particularly quick fixing them.

WAR has already beaten WoW for me on one similar issue - gold spammers are not so prevalent.

I sincerely hope Mythic do well out of WAR. It's not a perfect game and in some areas it doesn't compete with WoW very well, but in other ways it kicks WoW's arse all around the room.

One interesting thing for me is that I don't think WoW set my expectations regarding PvP/RvR. DAoC did that and WoW failed to live up to them.
Of course WoW has it's own exploiters but considering I played since launch I cant pin down that many that iritated me, perhaps the geometry exploits that let you leave AB early was one. And yes Blizz aren't that good at hotfixes, I actually like the Mythic approach of frequent hotfixes even though they carry a risk in being relatively untested.

Where this becomes relavent though is the biggest exploits are in PVP/RvR, it's what the game is being sold on, it's what is keeping people like you and me interested. What point is there in me playing to my best to gain RR's when we have people under geometry racking up kills and RR's, no amount of skill or group skill will ever win there. That leaves me PVE which is noticably inferior/broken compared to WoW ultimately leading onto leaving the game.

As for gold spammers you probably dont see as many because gold is worthless, and until they build the PvE aspect it will remain that way.

And yes I agree, DAoC set my PVP expectation, WoW did nothing for me in that respect which is why Mythic need patch 1.1 pronto.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The fact that half the people who do want to renew can't because the website is STILL broken is rather telling, week by week i wonder more whether GOA are some sort of elaborate social study to find how far you can push the paying customer before they have enough.

Average game, awful presentation, support and back office. Though to give Magnus credit he does seem to be trying his hardest with the tools provided.

Boggy

Fledgling Freddie
What point is there in me playing to my best to gain RR's when we have people under geometry racking up kills and RR's, no amount of skill or group skill will ever win there. That leaves me PVE which is noticably inferior/broken compared to WoW ultimately leading onto leaving the game.

As for gold spammers you probably dont see as many because gold is worthless, and until they build the PvE aspect it will remain that way.

Well, I'd say that if your goal in RvR is gaining RRs you are bound to get bored one way or another. The only way to sustain enjoyment for stuff like this is to have your goal as enjoying each fight you're in. Sure, exploiters will spoil one or two of those, but they are not prevalent enough to do more than that. If Mythic drag their heals with the fixes that could change, so I agree we need that patched reasonably quickly, but it's certainly not a case for me of being unenjoyable until 1.1 hits.

On the subject of gold, I wonder whether gold being not worth much was deliberate. I've certainly been hoping for years for someone to release a game where the gear and loot side was taken out of focus.

Bone_Idle

Fledgling Freddie
I've already given up. Tier 4 is crap and i cant be arsed to do serpents passage after serpents passage when i keep signing up for all.

I've got to level 34 and its just ground to a halt. Ive subscribed for 3 months and i'll keep an eye on whats going on and the december patch/new classes.

I'm waiting for class nerfs/buffs.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I've already given up. Tier 4 is crap and i cant be arsed to do serpents passage after serpents passage when i keep signing up for all.

I've got to level 34 and its just ground to a halt. Ive subscribed for 3 months and i'll keep an eye on whats going on and the december patch/new classes.

I'm waiting for class nerfs/buffs.

I've rocketed through T4 (in the time I can play) and I've got arguably the most gimped class in the game. Haven't endlessly camped in Serpent's Passage either.

Perhaps its an unrealistic expectation and not a problem with the game that is at fault here. Before you hit the ceiling I'm not claiming WAR to be a bug free perfect ride, just that you might be expecting just a little too much from it.

Given you're sig shows you to be playing a shaman, one of the tougher classes in WAR I'm wondering just how you can fail to ride up to 40 fairly easily. I've spent my time doing lots of different stuff. Questing, some PQ grinding, a small amount of open field RvR stuff and of course scenarios where I spend most of my time getting my arse handed to me :D

WAR won't come into its own until maybe 3 months in when we have a decent amount of population hitting 40 and then RvR starts to really kick in.

Personally, I'd hate to be behind the curve after having been in the game from the start once that kind of level of play starts to kick in regularly.

Lubbock

Fledgling Freddie
I've rocketed through T4 (in the time I can play) and I've got arguably the most gimped class in the game. Haven't endlessly camped in Serpent's Passage either.

Perhaps its an unrealistic expectation and not a problem with the game that is at fault here. Before you hit the ceiling I'm not claiming WAR to be a bug free perfect ride, just that you might be expecting just a little too much from it.

Given you're sig shows you to be playing a shaman, one of the tougher classes in WAR I'm wondering just how you can fail to ride up to 40 fairly easily. I've spent my time doing lots of different stuff. Questing, some PQ grinding, a small amount of open field RvR stuff and of course scenarios where I spend most of my time getting my arse handed to me :D

WAR won't come into its own until maybe 3 months in when we have a decent amount of population hitting 40 and then RvR starts to really kick in.

Personally, I'd hate to be behind the curve after having been in the game from the start once that kind of level of play starts to kick in regularly.

Yup im playing a Shaman its rough sailing, but then again, whats the rush, for now i use the term bouncing around,a PQ ther,e some exploringm found a cool frozen demon the other day, finding unlocks and just hopping about, and i quit tier 4 scenarios as its always the ame one, so i just do stuff here and there and i dont see the need to rush to 40, we got plnty of time, Patch 1.1 is the one im waiting for and by thr time that comes i should have bounced my way to 40, so whats the rush, take it weasy enjoy the game, make new friends, beat up old friends in RvR and just have fun :)

Just the Ramblings of a Mad Dane, but dammit whats the rush !

pikeh

Resident Freddy
I have so much more fun with my 'gimp' SH than I do with my DoK.
Greater sense of achievement if you play well on a bad class.

Zagzyg

Loyal Freddie
I actually think they made daoc awsome by accident... ...Mark Jacobs imo has shown he knows very little about what makes a good game and what the players actually want.
:iagree:definitely

"Good design + good timing = success" sure, but DAoC was a good game, as a starting point. It wasn't first at anything MMO by a very long way. It may have been a first discovery of the genre for some, but so was WoW, and I'm sure so is WAR.
They had a well paced game, a great ambiance with the tri-realm themes that you could really get immersed into and feel at home. Plus each of the three realms had a distinctive feel, and each race even.
They destroyed it with ToA, though they put huge efforts into and made a great expansion. It just changed so much about the game. Raids were interesting once or twice, but after that I just hated them as mindless zergs, grinding to get items, grinding to get scrolls, grinding to level items. And you couldn't just ignore ToA once it was there, it became more important than all that went before it.
Boats and scuba diving were fun though.

I think they've done a good job of making WAR, but I'm no Warhammer fan, and I am not getting into the PvE at all really. It really is just grinding through simple quests while waiting in queues for the single scenario that ever seems to run in any given tier.
The PvP I think will be good in a few months, as it's mostly a lot of fun now.

I think what they're missing is the social side of the game. The small villages you hardly spend time at except to drop off/pick up quests and train, the inevitable city I avoid because it a vast empty and seemingly mostly pointless area. I miss looking for crafters to make me some great armour and weapons. I miss the meeting points that Tir na Nog and Mag Mell were.

The PQ's are a great concept, but in practice, they become impossible to do as people spread out, add the fact that the loot roll is to random (and broken), and I just grind the infuence by doing the easy first stage grind of each, while waiting in scenario queues.

Open groups are another great concept, but maybe I just had bad luck: 3 out of 4 I've tried to join had "accidentallly" left them open, and just instantly kick you out without a word, and close them, even on a PQ.

Scenarios are fun, and easy to join, but they're to fast and shallow to keep my attention for long. I'd rather see the various scenarios in each tier offer different time lengths, maybe one of them being an hour long, and something a bit more original than capturing a flag/bauble/pants. Mini keep cature/defense scenarios would be more fun.

ORvR at the moment seems fairly pointless. We always seem to be completely overrun, or we completely dominate, probably because there seems to be no point in defending, so it mostly consists of running around capturing the deserted points/keeps, getting the credit, then deserting it until it's lost again. Some of the best RvR I've seen has been in the halloween PQ's!

All in all, I think WAR is a credit to Mythics ability to make a game generally, it seems pretty stable and polished to me, and most of the things I mention I am sure they will be working on and fix to some extent, but for me it's missing that "X" factor, or that "WOW" factor, or whatever they call it these days. My subs have run out, and I'm sure I'll resubscribe at some point, but right now I'm not all that bothered.

Ogen

One of Freddy's beloved
Well, I'd say that if your goal in RvR is gaining RRs you are bound to get bored one way or another.

That never happened in DAoC, since rvr had a goal... DAoC RVR was like real war.. fighting for relics (Compare it to oil? lol), etc.. Way more use of strats etc.. opening teleport into an enimy realm demanded quite some teamwork, considering you had to take a keep and 4 towers and hold them all.

in WAR rvr im having a hard time spotting the objectives tbh. Seems everyone just roam around randomly in a huge chaos of zergs, with none or very little communication.

It lacks frontlines, and borders etc.. Hard to explain tbh, as it was quite complicated in DAoC.
Even keep sieges have been scaled down in WAR, and you cant even brake down a wall, but are forced to set up siege equipment on set spots on the ground, forcing the siege battles to be just the same over and over, every time you tries to take a keep. Nothing is left to the player. Frankly, i find it dull..
Never the less it was 10 times more fun, and 10 times more advanced and well made then this crap.
Imho, they should have just copied the siege engine from DAoC to war.

Marc

FH is my second home
That never happened in DAoC, since rvr had a goal... DAoC RVR was like real war.. fighting for relics (Compare it to oil? lol), etc.. Way more use of strats etc.. opening teleport into an enimy realm demanded quite some teamwork, considering you had to take a keep and 4 towers and hold them all.

in WAR rvr im having a hard time spotting the objectives tbh. Seems everyone just roam around randomly in a huge chaos of zergs, with none or very little communication.

It lacks frontlines, and borders etc.. Hard to explain tbh, as it was quite complicated in DAoC.
Even keep sieges have been scaled down in WAR, and you cant even brake down a wall, but are forced to set up siege equipment on set spots on the ground, forcing the siege battles to be just the same over and over, every time you tries to take a keep. Nothing is left to the player. Frankly, i find it dull..
Never the less it was 10 times more fun, and 10 times more advanced and well made then this crap.
Imho, they should have just copied the siege engine from DAoC to war.

See, this is the reason why a lot of people dont like WAR, because they keep comparing it to DAOC. Dudes, get over it. DAOC has gone and whilst it was great, no other game will come close to it. So just embrace WAR for what it is, forget about DAoC and enjoy your game :drink:

Xanthea

Fledgling Freddie
War is no longtime game by far, In some month there be low population servers and in the end the loyal once.

The game is not appealing, go to same SC over and over and over is like ultra boring, trying to get ppl to do anything is more or less impossible.

The bugs is pissing me off more than it done in many other games,spots all over SC's where ppl can attack you but u cant attack back...ppl go up in thin smoke and popup just like fucking teleport all over the SC's.

wtf even when you get res you run around with a ghey square in ur face with a release timer on it.must be DAMN hard to remove that trash.

The balance among classes are also the trash "know from my years in daoc mythic cant even spell to balance so everything in order" Im on my ghey swordmaster i run in to a 23 elf im 22 and i get totally wtfpned the dmg output from the hybrid is about 3X mine and i get critted for 800's.

Wonder why it says challenge when it should say fucking deadly run for your fakking life instead...

No so still hoping blizz revamp of pvp in WoW will beat this trash down to where it belong..

Mr_Grumpy

Fledgling Freddie
For me war doesnt havent the dross that came with daoc.Fixed groups, add/dont add crap, being mezzed then stunned for two and a half hours. just lots of things.DAoC was a first for many here and they will always love it but tbh if its STILL that great then why are you not still playing it and instead playing WAR?

No i think WAR is WAR not DAoC and many need to forget about the developers being the same. I mean AoC is by Funcom and yet theres no lazers in sight :p

As for people popping up in scenarios like above poster said..i think you;ll find thats stealth lol. Seriously if you get crap like pop ups and such like its the pc yer using or connection. Never had anything like that on my crap broadband even in early closed beta(mythic)

Toel

Loyal Freddie
War is no longtime game by far, In some month there be low population servers and in the end the loyal once.

The game is not appealing, go to same SC over and over and over is like ultra boring, trying to get ppl to do anything is more or less impossible.

The bugs is pissing me off more than it done in many other games,spots all over SC's where ppl can attack you but u cant attack back...ppl go up in thin smoke and popup just like fucking teleport all over the SC's.

wtf even when you get res you run around with a ghey square in ur face with a release timer on it.must be DAMN hard to remove that trash.

The balance among classes are also the trash "know from my years in daoc mythic cant even spell to balance so everything in order" Im on my ghey swordmaster i run in to a 23 elf im 22 and i get totally wtfpned the dmg output from the hybrid is about 3X mine and i get critted for 800's.

Wonder why it says challenge when it should say fucking deadly run for your fakking life instead...

No so still hoping blizz revamp of pvp in WoW will beat this trash down to where it belong..

Could you stop posting please? It's crashing my browser. :(

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
TBH if this game does fail completely, then that will be it for mmorpgs for me. I refuse to go back to WoW and I don't fancy starting all over again in some other game so I'll probably look for a decent online fps or something.

Hopefully things wil change over the coming months.

griralith

Fledgling Freddie

do us all a favor, hold your breath for 5 mins and come back and tell us how it vent...

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
something is misiing in WAR for me, cant put my finger on it, think it way be a combination of small things, still will see how the "one patch to buff them all" does...

:m00:

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
something is misiing in WAR for me, cant put my finger on it, think it way be a combination of small things, still will see how the "one patch to buff them all" does...

:m00:

Female design toons from AOC maybe? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom