US Shooting

mank!

Part of the furniture
The study that that paragraph references is here if you're even remotely interested in actually looking into the issue.

fing32.gif

leggy

Probably Scottish
I have moved this to the Half Life forum because I am a bit drunk. It will soon be back into general when a super mod sorts it.

Sorry people, Lesters fault tbh.

I was about to jump into a rant until I seen this post. Brilliant !!! :)

Kryten

Old Cow.
With all due respect, this thread would appear to be in the correct place.

Where mentally deficient kiddies run around shooting things randomly thinking they are the dogs bollocks then just /kill themselves afterwards, spoiling the game for the (now very few) half decent people who enjoy the odd shooting game.

leggy

Probably Scottish
With all due respect, this thread would appear to be in the correct place.

Where mentally deficient kiddies run around shooting things randomly thinking they are the dogs bollocks then just /kill themselves afterwards, spoiling the game for the (now very few) half decent people who enjoy the odd shooting game.

With all due respect. CS is nothing like that.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Are they blaming Old Boy now?

At least the Daily Mail is - turns out a lot of the pictures he made of himself are almost exact copies of shots of Old Boy. The front page was him holding a gun to himself, supposedly mimicking a shot where the main bad guy holds a gun to his head. I thought that was a tenuous link at best but checked out another shot and it was the one holding the hammer. Very *very* similar to a shot from Old Boy.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Old Boy is about a man gaining revenge for his wrongful incarceration. How many films are there that have scenes with a man holds a gun to his own head?

What an absurd, yet typically Daily Mail-esque, link to make. Korean boy must go on killing spree because of Korean film!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
That's exactly what I thought at first but the hammer shot sold it for me.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Sold what? The fact he'd probably watched it? It doesn't mean the film triggered something in him which led to him going on a killing spree though, just that he was an immature individual who thought it was "cool" to re-enact scenes from his favourite film.

Jimmy

Resident Freddy
pfft man see film man kills ppl film blamed sounds like every other killing to me im going to be blunt the guy was mental no other factors are needed he was mental and killed loads of poeple glad he's dead stop blaming games and movies cos we all know they sit there telling ppl to kill

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Sold what? The fact he'd probably watched it? It doesn't mean the film triggered something in him which led to him going on a killing spree though, just that he was an immature individual who thought it was "cool" to re-enact scenes from his favourite film.

nooononono. Sold the link of the pictures to the film. I'm not for a second suggesting that films are responsible for killing spree's. That'd be absolutely absurd :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
pfft man see film man kills ppl film blamed sounds like every other killing to me im going to be blunt the guy was mental no other factors are needed he was mental and killed loads of poeple glad he's dead stop blaming games and movies cos we all know they sit there telling ppl to kill

im glad someone said it :eek2:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i just played sonic on my phone. man i cant wait to get my new trainers!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Simply pointing out that "that's bollocks" is incredibly dismissive and that people have actually performed studies on that subject to other conclusions.
The study that that paragraph references is here if you're even remotely interested in actually looking into the issue.

Just a serious answer for you by the way, there are dozens of "studies" that point one way or the other depending on the leaning of the writer.
You wave one in the air and expect that to be the definitive answer to the whole debate :)

Its not is it?

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Okay. Then I put it to you that, if the conclusions drawn from a study of mass data via, for example, careful statistical analysis cannot be taken as worth anything due to bias inherent in the scientists, then nobody, anywhere, is qualified to make any claims about anything, as nobody is in a better position to make any statements about some field of study than the people who have gone to pains to become experts in that field - all debate or discussion becomes futile and we revert to some kind of dumb Cartesian doubt where we're not even sure we exist.

What I am saying is that
You wave one in the air and expect that to be the definitive answer to the whole debate :)

Its not is it?
is a far cry from
Thats just bollocks mate. Sorry but it is. Well-meaning bollocks, but bollocks all the same.
And really the initial point I was making was that "crimes of passion", as that study suggests and as Scouse mentioned in the post you so sweepingly dismissed, can be a lot more dangerous with a gun around.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I think both of my quotes you have used come to much the same thing myself, but there you go ;)

Chilly

Balls of steel
not really throd, you have just been dismissing what has been said.

you cannot deny:
More guns = easier to get guns = more gun crime = more dead bodies

Tom

I am a FH squatter
you cannot deny:
More guns = easier to get guns = more gun crime = more dead bodies

Well I don't know about Throddy but I can certainly deny that. There are plenty of countries with huge private gun ownership and extremely low rates of gun crime.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Yes ok, fair enough. But this country is fucked. Between TV, bad parents, shit schools and the rest of it the population is becoming ever more stupid and guns are not going to help that situation. So in the context of the UK, what I said is true, I reckon.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
This country isn't fucked at all. A minority of idiots is just a minority. The majority of people in this country are quite sensible and intelligent.

The only reason people can't act responsibly is because the state seems quite happy to control their lives to such an extent that they can't comprehend simple concepts like "don't do this or it will hurt".

Banning things for the lowest common denominator was never the answer.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I dispute all this argument Chilly. Its just the British fear of shooting and guns thats been bred into us (you) for years now.

As for saying less guns = less deaths, well that might be true in a way, but the banning of handguns hasn't proved that point has it ? Quite the reverse.

There's less guns about than before yes, but all the guns are now in the hands of people who want to shoot other people, rather than before when they were in the hands of people who shot at paper targets.

Thing is, Ive said stuff like this before, loads of time, and in this very thread too, so when I just get yet another different approach to the anti arguement, I cant always be bothered to re-iterate it yet again, so I end up saying thats bollocks or something instead :)

Heres the thing. Theres different sorts on posters on this and every other forum, but two types spring to mind.

On the one hand you have the likes of Louster and Nath and Dagaffer for example, who tend to look at it rather like a debating thing, and do quite well researched (particularly DaGaffer) posts making thier point clear. Then theres people like me who tend to look at it as a conversation, and just post the thing that they are thinking at the time. Thats what I do. And added to that, Im thinking of having a disclaimer in my sig to the effect of saying "anything posted after 10.30 pm is very likely influenced by alcohol, and may not even be remembered tomorrow".

So. When you talk to me on here, its like talking to a bloke in the pub or at work or whatever. A conversation.

There, thats a long post innit? My next one may well just say THATS BOLLOCKS , who can tell :D

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Hey fuck you and give me back my fucking cheese!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom