US Shooting

Chilly

Balls of steel
Plenty of gun owners in Switzerland, including fully automatic rifles. They don't go around shooting people.

And Switzerland and the US are so easy to compare. The US has a *shitload* of very very poor people, Switzerland barely knows the meaning of the word "gold-plated" let alone slum or or poverty. Obviously its not all roses and love, but its a damn sight better than the US on the whole. They also have forced military service and gun responsibility is hammered into every owner from the get go.

From what I heard on the radio, the place where the loony shot all those people you can walk into a gun shop with cash and pick up a gun and ammo there and then without even handing over your name. *that* is clearly wrong. Something as powerful as a gun has to be strictly accounted for. FFS they track what you do on the INTERNET and they dont track who owns GUNS? What kind of fucking retard thinks that is sensible?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
From what I heard on the radio, the place where the loony shot all those people you can walk into a gun shop with cash and pick up a gun and ammo there and then without even handing over your name.

Hmm, I'd like to see some proof of that tbh, I'd be surprised if that was the case. Or at least that it was legal.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
On that Ross Kemp on gangs thing I saw some black guy wearing a ski mask or a bandana over his face (I forget which) talking about how he could walk around a corner somewhere in London and buy a pistol for 20 quid or something.

It's a bit different to buying a gun in a supermarket like in America but it's still strange that we don't see more shootings like this happening over here.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
And Switzerland and the US are so easy to compare. The US has a *shitload* of very very poor people, Switzerland barely knows the meaning of the word "gold-plated" let alone slum or or poverty. Obviously its not all roses and love, but its a damn sight better than the US on the whole. They also have forced military service and gun responsibility is hammered into every owner from the get go.

From what I heard on the radio, the place where the loony shot all those people you can walk into a gun shop with cash and pick up a gun and ammo there and then without even handing over your name. *that* is clearly wrong. Something as powerful as a gun has to be strictly accounted for. FFS they track what you do on the INTERNET and they dont track who owns GUNS? What kind of fucking retard thinks that is sensible?

A guns just a gun mate.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
makes me laugh really how easy it is to get guns in America or the black market in this country, yet the amount of paperwork I needed to sign out my rifle for guard duty or exercise was heavier the rifle itself.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Very sad to see such life wasted when life is rather short any way.

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm, I'd like to see some proof of that tbh, I'd be surprised if that was the case. Or at least that it was legal.

All you need to purchase a gun in Virginia is proof of residency and you're allowed a limit of one handgun a month. Apparently he just waited a month between buying each handgun.

It's sad when something like this happens but things like this annoy me a bit. "Looking back, he fit the exact stereotype of what one would typically think of as a "school shooter"" - It's easy to say that in hindsight really... Lots of people prefer their own company and write disturbing literature, they aren't all nutters. He obviously had mental issues and he was on tablets for depression, it's just one of those things that happens. But with their strange gun laws it's kind of strange that it doesn't happen more often. Maybe the one good thing that comes out of it is that they'll rethink their laws on gun ownership like we did after Dunblane.

PROFESSOR LIVIU LIBRESCU
_42811457_victim3_66.jpg

Professor Liviu Librescu, 76, was an Romanian-born Israeli academic in the Engineering Science & Mechanics Department. He was also a Holocaust survivor and moved to Virginia in 1985.
Internationally renowned for his research work, he has been hailed a hero for blocking a doorway to protect his students

That's sad. :(

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
All you need to purchase a gun in Virginia is proof of residency and you're allowed a limit of one handgun a month. Apparently he just waited a month between buying each handgun.

(Can't edit post)

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1611169,00.html?cnn=yes

Cho bought his first gun, the 9 mm, on March 13, a source told ABC. The Walther was purchased just last week. Virginia law prohibits buying more than one handgun in a 30-day period. It appears Cho waited the full month before buying the Walther, suggesting he didn't just snap. According to the Virginia State Police, as an alien with a green card, Cho would have been able to buy guns legally as long as he provided proof of his residence.

Milkshake

Loyal Freddie
Anyone know how many Iraqis died in the same day?

Nah, thought not :p

(P.S Not that I'm getting at anyone here, I just feel that there is such bad journalism going on these days.)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Iraqis being killed is boring. Students being killed is not.

Such is life. Its harsh but true. News isn't reported on a scale of horror - its reported on a scale of interest.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Maybe the one good thing that comes out of it is that they'll rethink their laws on gun ownership like we did after Dunblane.

Please don't be naive enough to think that the knee jerk gun laws introduced after Dunblane, did anything to slow gun crime in this country.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I sincerely hope they don't follow our example after Dunblane, because our example was:

Shock - what?
Horror - OMG!
Amazement - you can buy guns??!?
Resolve - BAN!
Enact - YAY!
Problem - oooo shit, what now?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
(Can't edit post)

Cho bought his first gun, the 9 mm, on March 13, a source told ABC. The Walther was purchased just last week. Virginia law prohibits buying more than one handgun in a 30-day period. It appears Cho waited the full month before buying the Walther, suggesting he didn't just snap. According to the Virginia State Police, as an alien with a green card, Cho would have been able to buy guns legally as long as he provided proof of his residence.

So what exactly ? That sounds like a bloody BBC news report :(

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
(Can't edit post)

fuck me they have aliens in America

Chilly

Balls of steel
A guns just a gun mate.

My point was that if there is no accountability with guns people will take them less seriously. You have a licence from the police (albeit a pretty much arbitrary one with little in the way of vetting) saying you are allowed to own the guns you do, mainly it's so the police know you have one.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
AThey also have forced military service and gun responsibility is hammered into every owner from the get go.

It's not that they're taught to be more responsible, the Swiss just don't have many people of a certain type in their country.

Certain Chilly.

Yes, certain.

Dill will understand :(

throdgrain

FH is my second home
My point was that if there is no accountability with guns people will take them less seriously. You have a licence from the police (albeit a pretty much arbitrary one with little in the way of vetting) saying you are allowed to own the guns you do, mainly it's so the police know you have one.

Completely untrue, the licence I have is far from arbitary, consists of full investigation of all criminal convictions (including driving convictions!) and any mental health issues too. It also involves having a safe to store the guns in, which is subject to inspection at any time by the police. I have to have the keys for said safe on my person at all times. No one, not even my wife, is allowed to know where the spare keys are kept.

All this is checked by the police at the same time as the final interview they do before granting or refusing your licence.

I wouldnt call that arbitary to be honest!

Even after all that, I cant use the gun for self defence - although I would if I had to - and I certainly cant claim self defence as a reason for having one.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Completely untrue, the licence I have is far from arbitary, consists of full investigation of all criminal convictions (including driving convictions!) and any mental health issues too. It also involves having a safe to store the guns in, which is subject to inspection at any time by the police. I have to have the keys for said safe on my person at all times. No one, not even my wife, is allowed to know where the spare keys are kept.

All this is checked by the police at the same time as the final interview they do before granting or refusing your licence.

I wouldnt call that arbitary to be honest!

Even after all that, I cant use the gun for self defence - although I would if I had to - and I certainly cant claim self defence as a reason for having one.

If they had done this for the chap that killed all of those students he would never have been given the gun as he had mental health issues...

Calaen

If they had done this for the chap that killed all of those students he would never have been given the gun as he had mental health issues...

While I do agree in some small sense, just because the guy rights morbid stories in his creative writing lessons does not make him a psycho. If America wasnt full of Emo's who talk about nothing but death and shit maybe people would have paid more attention to the guy.

I used to work with a guy who used wrote short stories about gay guys being abused from older men. He has not shot anyone yet :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
While I do agree in some small sense, just because the guy rights morbid stories in his creative writing lessons does not make him a psycho. If America wasnt full of Emo's who talk about nothing but death and shit maybe people would have paid more attention to the guy.

I used to work with a guy who used wrote short stories about gay guys being abused from older men. He has not shot anyone yet :)

Yes but this guy had been to counciling and all sorts.
His teacher gave him personal lessons and the police asked her if she wanted them around while she was giving him lessons...

He was not just a someone that wrote weird short stories he was seriously mentally ill.

Calaen

Yes but this guy had been to counciling and all sorts.
His teacher gave him personal lessons and the police asked her if she wanted them around while she was giving him lessons...

He was not just a someone that wrote weird short stories he was seriously mentally ill.

no disrespect mate but councilling in america is like chavs and asbos over here everyone of them is doing it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
There are many things you can get councilling for though Cal, and not many where the police are likely to take an interest.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I wonder if anyone roared in a deep, low voice

"RRRRRRRRRAMPAGE!"

"DOMINATION!"

"IMPRESSIVE"

Or similar.

Bad taste? No. Just getting the fuck on with life because theres always the next mad gunman in America, then an even madder fuckwit called Jack Thompson trying to blame it all on the voilence of Solitaire games, just as mad Scousers carjacking you whilst you're still on the move at 70mph down the M6, etc.

The american's really shouldn't expect less when nearly every one of them believes they should carry a weapon for their own protection.

Calaen

There are many things you can get councilling for though Cal, and not many where the police are likely to take an interest.

He did actually pass a raving mad loony detector test though.

I cannot talk from experience because I obviously was not there. Whether he was or not a mad raving loony, people always discount the fact he was angry at being dumped. I have female friends who have split up from there partner and went into a total morbid state of crying and eating very little for months. The loss of a someone you loved is a very tough thing to get over. Obviously going around killing people is not the solution either but it can be very hard. I honestly believe this is what has tipped him over the edge.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
no disrespect mate but councilling in america is like chavs and asbos over here everyone of them is doing it.

in an aside, I overheard two teenage girls talking in the train the other day: girl A's boyfriend had aparantly told her he had borderline personality syndrome and she was a tad upset, because seemingly this ment he was allowed to be moody 24x7 and go out with other girls. Girl B wasn't having anything of it and said these words that I noticed particularly: "so? who doesn't have borderline these days?"

I have a mate who is a teacher, and he tells me that the kids are forever self-diagnosing themselves with personality disorders while exibiting more and more disturbing and somewhat irrational behaviour with the general idea that "one is allowed to do whatever the hell one likes because one claims to have <insert disorder here>". The guy's not an expert, just exposed to kids every day. (ofc you understand that I am *not* saying that they're all faking)

back on topic:
Tbh I'm of mixed views on the subject: the school had 25.000 kids there. there are bound to be a few who range from "a bit odd" to "strange in the extreme/wouldn't want to be alone with". just like any other school tbh. I still wonder what would have happened if the guy had "no access to firearms". Between quotes ofc, because I do understand that everyone potentially can have access to all the guns they want. Also, I say guns because I believe that a class full of students can restrain someone with a knife heh.

taB

Part of the furniture
According to the pinnacle of British journalism (well there's boobies on the third page) he played a lot of counter-strike. Apparently it's a game where you can save the world or destroy it! Must miss that bit when I flashbang myself.

Like Throd says a firearms license is not a simple thing to get hold of in this country any more and you need to produce a valid one to buy cartridges.

A Father's Advice:

"Never, never let your gun,
pointed be at anyone,
though it may unloaded be,
matters not the least to me"

Ben.

leggy

Probably Scottish
The American constitution has a lot to answer for. Now, while I don't blame guns for all gun crime, I do put some blame on the ease of which they can be obtained (in the US!!! not the UK). The guy shouldn't have been able to pick up a firearm by simply producing 'proof of residence'. I know it's not as simple as this (for many) and there are all sorts of social issues to be considered but I'm not convinced this would have happened if <generic mental health patient> couldn't pick up a gun so easily.

People seem to be confusing 'legal rights' and 'common bloody sense'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom