True Detective

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I watched the first episode of this new series today. Based on the slow pacing and the fact that it's made by HBO, I think this is going to be very good indeed. Most of the first instalment is about the two main characters and their relationship; unlike other programmes, the crime they're investigating isn't given prominence, although it'll undoubtedly prove extremely important in whatever story is being told.

It looks superb too, and Matthew McConaughey is almost unrecognisable from his earlier appearances, so much so that I had to go online and check it was actually him. Needless to say, his and Harrelson's acting is utterly compelling.

http://www.hbo.com/true-detective

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
downloading....been waiting for this to start. Couple of decent looking shows just started - Helix looks promising.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Saw the trailer some time ago and forgot all about it. Watching now! :)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Very slow. My Mrs actually fell asleep :) Looks good though.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Finally got to watch it last night, was gripped from start to finish. Hopefully the high bar they've set is maintained. Could be a seriously great series.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Well produced and good acting but it wasn't something I got instantly hooked on. Will try and catch a few more episodes.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
All I can say is wow, the acting and dialogue is nothing ever seen on tv before. I do believe that this show will be a landmark in changing future tv series (only if they can get the actors of this quality). Slow? Was it fuck, mesmerising, most definately. Hooked? Hell yes.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I gave that a funny but I'm not actually sure if you are being sarcastic or not. It's only been one episode!

ileks

Part of the furniture
Possibly the best pair of tits I've ever seen on TV. Wow. Bit of muff thrown in for good measure too! Good old HBO.

leggy

Probably Scottish
All I can say is wow, the acting and dialogue is nothing ever seen on tv before. I do believe that this show will be a landmark in changing future tv series (only if they can get the actors of this quality). Slow? Was it fuck, mesmerising, most definately. Hooked? Hell yes.

Exactly how I felt after both episodes. Love it so far and McConaughey really demonstrates that he's becoming a powerhouse of an actor.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I gave that a funny but I'm not actually sure if you are being sarcastic or not. It's only been one episode!
And? You could see from just the first episode how very different this series is going to be and how strong the acting/dialogue was.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Some lovely cinematography in this episode. These two shots are outstanding:

vlcsnap-2014-01-23-21h41m13s59.pngvlcsnap-2014-01-23-21h41m54s197.png

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
2 episodes, actually. And it does smell good, just like Breaking Bad or Boardwalk Empire did with their first few episodes.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well this is proving to be just excellent. I won't spoil the ending but believe me, this is an episode you don't want to miss.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Ive just watched the first episode.
Its superb. I couldn't stop watching.

Im sure the scene at the morgue /coroner was also in Back to the Future III when he goes back to the wild west...

ECA

I am a FH squatter
It's like a non shit version of the killing!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Episode 4 and it's starting to roll with a bit more pace... love it!

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I think the biggest thing about it is that they've said that each series is going to be its own seperate story with it's own unique characters. I think this has been/ is going to be the biggest factor in getting actors of the calibre of McConaughey and Harrelson. No mega star wants to sign on to a long running gig when they have massive movie pay days lined up. But 3-4 months to film one season and really get their teeth into a character? I can see them lining up to do it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The long steadicam sequence at the end was shot by an acquaintance of mine, Chris McGuire. Originally from Manchester. He's a top man who's pioneered the use of the following rig:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3310069504/nm2358613?ref_=nm_ov_ph

Unlike a normal steadicam, in this one the camera is mounted on rollers in a basket, so it can go from a position scraping along the floor to being seven or eight feet in the air, all in one shot. It's a clever bit of kit.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
That's very cool. Did he come up with it himself?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Developed it with a friend of his.

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
Almost every Camera man/ Dp/ Sound guy I've worked with seems to be a bit of a Mcguyver. Good on him for leveraging it into such an impressive CV!

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
The long steadicam sequence at the end was shot by an acquaintance of mine, Chris McGuire. Originally from Manchester. He's a top man who's pioneered the use of the following rig:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3310069504/nm2358613?ref_=nm_ov_ph

Unlike a normal steadicam, in this one the camera is mounted on rollers in a basket, so it can go from a position scraping along the floor to being seven or eight feet in the air, all in one shot. It's a clever bit of kit.

Not sure exactly where you mean...Can you give me mins and secs pls?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Umm, the long unbroken steadicam shot at the end of episode four?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ahhh of course!, Sorry for being so thick - absolutely epic work :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom