Tribes Ascend

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The mere mention brings my gut in a gitty and the video ending words made me have a nerdgasm in my pants.

Other then that...if it brings half of what the original brought on the table, good times.

Atleast they're going for epic if nothing else.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Fear. That they might fuck it up. Just like what is happening with Jagged Alliance.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I was certainly concerned when they announced Tribes Universe (the MMOFPS version which Hi-Rez is doing), that they were just going to take the name and create a Global Agenda with a different theme.

Now I'm pretty excited, far more excited than when Tribes Universe was announced. It's nice to see that they're giving a pure FPS game a go, trying to breathe new life into the Tribes series.

Very few games have bothered using jetpacks, and hardly any have come close to the fun gameplay Tribes has.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Fast movement has always been part of the hardcore games appeal, if you look at QW, Q3, UT advanced movement has been a core part.

If you look at casual games like COD/CS/etc you see slow movement.

The higher the skill differential between noobs and good players, the smaller the games likely playerbase.

Making games for hardcore gamers isn't a good idea unless there is very aggressive matchmaking ( something more companies are utilising ) to prevent noobs getting stomped and instaquitting.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
View the Blood Eagle Trailer

Proper Nostalgia

This is where it all started.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Love Tribes. No other game like it.

Would like to see how this one moves. :)

Question: What's the theoretical limit of the number of players you can have in play at any one time in an FPS without experiencing horrid, epic lag? It's not going to be purely a bandwidth issue, but also a latency and processing issue...

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I remember when BW was very involved with Tribes and had many conversations with the development team about servers. If my memory is correct we had a copy of the game on a consumer written CD before it was released.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I remember when BW was very involved with Tribes and had many conversations with the development team about servers. If my memory is correct we had a copy of the game on a consumer written CD before it was released.
Along with the 150 or so copies that Multiplay got from the US to sell at Insomnia99 in Bicester.
That pretty much seeded the start of Tribes in the UK.

Have you guys taken a look at "Section 8:prejudice" at all?
The trailers and screenshots make it look like a homage to Tribes.
Section 8®: Prejudice

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Have you guys taken a look at "Section 8:prejudice" at all?
The trailers and screenshots make it look like a homage to Tribes.
Section 8®: Prejudice

Been playing it the past few days. The jetpack in this game is just enough to allow you to jump over gaps, to jump onto buildings, etc. Once you've used the energy up it's got a slightly evil reuse timer.

For £10 it's pretty good. The single player is just enough to tell you the story and give you a feeling for the game, but it isn't going to win any awards for the best campaign. I'm enjoying the multiplayer, although it's a bit of a grind having to level up to get certain weapons.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Graphically unspectacular but that means fuck all. Freedom of movement says it all tbh.

Can't wait :D

As for free to play. I dunno. Maybe in this console-dumbed-up fuckbag of a current gaming world Tribes would be a hard sell. It's effectively as hardcore as a game comes if they do it right...

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
As long as I can ski down a hill and jet off the crest of another, while performing a spinfusor MA, I'll be happy. :)

Or more realistically I'll be the one near the flag, planting the turrets, shooting the mine I stuck on your ass. :)

eksdee

FH is my second home
So let down by the free to play direction. Will still give it a try, but it just feels like they don't care enough about it/have faith in it due to the pricing model.

I also thought the video looked FAR, FAR too slow.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
It's concerning. However just to put a positive spin on it, if it does end up as another T:V - it'll be free for us to try it - so no money wasted! :drink:

It's quite clear that Hi-Rez are developing the way they want to. No player hosted servers, no modifications, probably no custom maps, etc. The things which extended the life of T1/T2, but they're excluding it from the start.

It just feels like they're trying to alienate the core fans of the franchise with every decision at the moment.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It just feels like they're trying to alienate the core fans of the franchise with every decision at the moment.

Disagree :)

Mods and player made maps were generally shite.

Vanilla tribes was win. And if it turns out to be a remake of Tribes 1 with slightly better graphics I couldn't give a monkeys - it'd still be a bazillion times better than Modern Warfare or any of the Battlefields...

Yaka

Part of the furniture
loved tribes to bits, but the first game changed alot when peeps discovered skiing, which when combined with disc jumping or mortar jumping enabled you cover the map with ease if you were a heavy. vehicles were hardly used or used to block patch of flag cappers.

discing someone while there shooting off mid aire was amazingly satisfying. remeber honing the skill for hours on bw death match server

tribes 2 i enjoyed but dont rate it over tribes

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom