Tree Hiding...just a lame tactic or illegal??

• Thread starter Kerram Darktyde
  • Start date
G

Gef

Originally posted by n3wbie

What if the person never read and agreed to the CoC, how are they supposed to know its exploiting a bug, they could just think its an 'undocumented feature'

Heh, ignorance is bliss and all that ;)

It doesnt matter what country you live in, you are bound by the rules of that CoC. You agreed to it FFS! If you didnt read it before you signed up for it then its your tough luck.

S

Solid

If Someone is dumb enough not to read a CoC they are agreeing to, they deserve no repreval.

I can see it now

"But Judge, I know I signed it, but I never read the small print, even tho it clearly said on the title 'READ THE SMALL PRINT' and at the base where I signed 'I agree to all the above', does that mean I still gotta honour this contract then Judge? huh huh does it huh?"

K

Kerram Darktyde

Once Rightnow get back to me we will know if they deem it as a bug abuse or valid tactic....

Simple as that

T

tris-

Originally posted by Solid
If Someone is dumb enough not to read a CoC they are agreeing to, they deserve no repreval.

I can see it now

"But Judge, I know I signed it, but I never read the small print, even tho it clearly said on the title 'READ THE SMALL PRINT' and at the base where I signed 'I agree to all the above', does that mean I still gotta honour this contract then Judge? huh huh does it huh?"

No i think you misunderstood me, what im saying is if someone else installs the game, loads it up, connects to the server, makes a char and i play the character while its online because he goes for a shit or what ever, then how am i bound to anything cos i never did any of what people heree are saying.

S

Solid

well in that case the owner of the game cd and account, your friend, is responsible for your actions.

Each account holder is accountable for all characters on their account, regardless of who is actually playing them.

GOA dont see a person sitting on a PC, they see an account. Its the account that is subject to banning, suspension, not the person.

A

Addlcove

No i think you misunderstood me, what im saying is if someone else installs the game, loads it up, connects to the server, makes a char and i play the character while its online because he goes for a shit or what ever, then how am i bound to anything cos i never did any of what people heree are saying.

if you want to take it to that level, then technically GOA can ban his account for NOT reading you the CoC before letting you play the game.

like it or not, there is NO way around the CoC, just as there is no way around the basic laws of every country (do not kill and so forth)

O

old.chesnor

The EULA and CoC have nothing to do with law, forget it.

Its just the pointy click waffle associated with a computer game. Stop talking about judges and courts ffs.

If my kid buys and installs daoc and clicks yes w/o reading the legal waffle (which they won't) they aren't being dumb. There just behaving like 90% of the population. Just so happens that the 10% who do read all that of gumph are represented quite heavily on these forums.

You have no real-world obligation to report bugs, but you do have an agreement with GOA that you shall not exploit bugs, but its not 'illegal' and the courts will never get involved.

MAN JAILED FOR FARMING RP FROM TREE IN EMAIN MACHA!

All GOA can ever do is ban you, they can't send the boys round or put you inside so you can Mr.Big's bitch. Ain't gonna happen. You don't even have any obligation read it.

T

tris-

Originally posted by old.chesnor

All GOA can ever do is ban you, they can't send the boys round or put you inside so you can be Mr.Big's bitch. Ain't gonna happen. You don't even have any obligation read it.

hahah would be fucking hilarious if it did happen though.

V

VidX

Maybe under the laws of your country, but in other countries im sure its different.

Nope.

By clicking the Accept button when installing/first running ANY software, you are bound legally by that agreement, and cannot go back on it. Therefore ANY player playing DAoC on GOA's servers is bound by GOA's CoC and is fully responsible for his/her actions if they are deemed against the CoC. As has been said above, ignorance is no excuse. It's what happens when you install any international software :)

But regarding the topic, the player, going by what has been said in this thread, was not bug exploiting or doing anything illegal. The way GOA handle situations like this is that as long as someone is able to be targetted and hit without the other person following them in, they are not deemed to be in an 'inaccessible area'. Places like inside walls at keeps and in the walls at milegates are deemed as these areas.

and when i melee'ed him i was fighting a tree not someone stood behind a tree

You were able to hit him, as you have said.

Lurikeens are the best for this, as, being smaller than all the other races, they are able to find more places to hide (in graves, neutral mobs and other players for example).

A

Anu

Ahhh the old "It wasn't me in the keep wall shooting everyone, it was my bother/dog/cat/local tramp (delete as applicable)" excuse .

Leeks into every game when a cheater is found.

T

tris-

Originally posted by Anu
Ahhh the old "It wasn't me in the keep wall shooting everyone, it was my bother/dog/cat/local tramp (delete as applicable)" excuse .

Pet gold fish jumped out of the bowl and riggled on the keyboard and i ended up inside the wall?

S

Solid

Chesnor

nother one of your "ooh a 3 page thread. I will read the first post and start typing"

What you posted, aka GOA can only BAN the user, is what all of us have said trhoughout this post, and Senior Nobie wants to dispute such an action.

Noone mentioned police coming round to said bug exploiters house, or the Judge handing out a sentence of Guilty for Disturbing the Peace in Emain

LA Times Article all about Griefers

Interesting read, hey Nobie, are you one of these guys by any chance? :)

T

tris-

What you posted, aka GOA can only BAN the user, is what all of us have said trhoughout this post, and Senior Nobie wants to dispute such an action.
No Solid, I have already said that was NOT what i was arguing about!! What i was saying (in my origional post) is why be punished for someone elses mistakes!!

Bug exploiting shouldnt even be illegal, not our fault if mythic fuck ther code up. "Hey look im hid in a tree" ok your banned for life cos we did a crap job making the game.

I

inqy

this is going round in circles
:sleeping:

lets just see what the rightnow response is...
:m00:

S

Solid

you have a read of your own quote
by saying bug exploiting shouldnt be "illegal" as you put it, then you are saying you feel it should be acceptable, which indicates you advocate such behaviour, does it not? huh huh doesnt it huh? :D

S

Solid

But without this thread my day at work would be so.........dulll :D

V

VidX

Originally posted by old.chesnor
The EULA and CoC have nothing to do with law, forget it.

Its just the pointy click waffle associated with a computer game. Stop talking about judges and courts ffs.

If my kid buys and installs daoc and clicks yes w/o reading the legal waffle (which they won't) they aren't being dumb. There just behaving like 90% of the population. Just so happens that the 10% who do read all that of gumph are represented quite heavily on these forums.

You have no real-world obligation to report bugs, but you do have an agreement with GOA that you shall not exploit bugs, but its not 'illegal' and the courts will never get involved.

All GOA can ever do is ban you, they can't send the boys round or put you inside so you can Mr.Big's bitch. Ain't gonna happen. You don't even have any obligation read it.

If your kid buys and installs DAoC, clicks Accept w/o reading the CoC, and does something wrong... then he can still be held reponsible for anything he/she does. Unless he/she is under 18 years of age (or the age of consent for whatever country you are in) as no-one under that age is allowed to enter into a legally binding contract (which all EULA's are) without prior consent and knowledge from their legal guardian. Any consequences then fall onto the guardian.

Also, re-read the CoC yourself (or read it for the first time), as it is obvious that you either missed a bit or didn't read it. I can't get at the EULA from here in work on the GOA's site as I have no Flash access, but part of the CoC/TaC states that ALL players must report any bug use to GOA. If you know of a bug, and don't report it, and it is found out that you know about it, you can be held to the CoC and your agreement to it.

And yes, GOA can't do anything except suspend/ban your account without refund.

And ALWAYS read EULA's and CoC's. Most of them are the same, but there are slight variations in some that you can be held to.

Once again, ignorance is no excuse.

Go to America, cross the road without waiting for the signal to do so, and you can possibly be charged. No excuses. Just because it isn't illegal in your country, you are bound by the laws of whichever country you are in. Take the Barrysworld TaC for example. Read them, at teh bottom you'll find "The laws of England govern this Agreement and your Membership." You will often find this on most EULA's and TaC's

Just pointing a few things out there :)

Also, did you read the CoC for the Barrysworld forum? Interesting reading. A few things on this thread could be acted upon. Just because the admins won't doesn't mean they can't :)

G

Gef

LA Times Article all about Griefers

Interesting read, hey Nobie, are you one of these guys by any chance? :)

Dammit Solid why do you have to post links to sites that you have to register on, i'm actually really tempted to sign up .. but I fear if I get much more spam my Outlook will curl up and die.

Whats your password? ;)

I

inqy

well ok. I gotta admit my day is getting like that too. :(

V

VidX

Agreed, just passed half an hour, only 20 mins to go now :clap:

T

tris-

you have a read of your own quote
by saying bug exploiting shouldnt be "illegal" as you put it, then you are saying you feel it should be acceptable, which indicates you advocate such behaviour, does it not? huh huh doesnt it huh? :D

no we argued about should the account be banned if the goldfish was the one exploiting the bug, not the person who pays for the acccount or what ever.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Gef

Dammit Solid why do you have to post links to sites that you have to register on, i'm actually really tempted to sign up .. but I fear if I get much more spam my Outlook will curl up and die.

Whats your password? ;)

try foobar/foobar :)

V

VidX

no we argued about should the account be banned if the goldfish was the one exploiting the bug, not the person who pays for the acccount or what ever.

Pupil: But Sir! My dog ATE MY HOMEWORK!

Teacher: No Buts, detention for you lad.

Sorry, the goldfish thingy, besides being completely impossible (any goldfish big/heavy enough to be able to press the keys down would be outside), there is no way you are gonna get GOA to believe that story :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom