Top Gear

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Wouldn't say that, the 1996 GT Viper is one of the best looking cars out there, the newer ones get too curvy look a bit naff. First episode of TG I have watched in a while, the train bit was good, fast forwarded through pretty much the rest of it.

1627-1996-Dodge-Viper.jpg

Looks like shit.

this is a good looking american car:

'69 corvette.

69_corvette_gold_4speed_l46_1.JPG

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

My dads mate had one until he sadly died from cancer a few years ago, his bitch of a wife sold it instead of giving it to his 28 year old son who grew up with that car. No idea what the value was, it was mint condition though, an absolute stunner.

69blue1.jpg

That colour or very close.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
They go for about £20k, any wonder the cunt sold it?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
They go for about £20k, any wonder the cunt sold it?

Ian earned in excess of 100k a year, the house is fully paid for and she got all the insurance/pension payouts. Did she really have to break her sons heart and sell the car? She was well aware that Ian would not have wanted her to sell it, especially as he had become a grandfather a few years earlier and would have wanted the car to go to his son or grandson. Sadly he didn't leave much of a will, it was written about 15 years previously and most of his assets weren't listed. It was pretty much a case of 'I leave it all to my wife, she will divide as she sees fit'. Tragic really, I knew Ian very well and he envisioned that car being around for a long time. His wife moved on though, shacked up with a bloke a couple of years older than me now and taking luxury holidays galore. Wouldn't be suprised if the marriage wasn't going well, she was in the middle of the menopause and fucking around.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Couple of my favs, prefer them to any euro car

Attachments

• 1969CamaroSS.jpg
    1969CamaroSS.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 3
  • tumblr_lihqe28ZvK1qel309.jpg
    tumblr_lihqe28ZvK1qel309.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 67

Himse

FH is my second home
You've heard things that are total bollocks then, haven't you? Because the common engine faults to be found in TVRs aren't anything like "pistons & rods going".

Do yourself a favour, stop listening to "mates in the pub" who've never even seen a TVR.

Hi my name is Tom and I use google alot.

Himse

FH is my second home
You do know Tom owned a TVR yeah?

I once owned a Ferrari.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Also;

Engine Rebuild

There is intense debate among TVR owners over the reliability of the Speed Six engine. It is generally accepted that the earlier cars (pre 2003) did have issues with the quality of the engine components and there were some design issues.

Many of the failures, regardless of whether or not they were at the top or the bottom of the engine, can be traced back to a lack of effective lubrication or cooling of the moving parts or bearings, suggesting that insufficient quantities of oil are being delivered to those areas of most stress/weakness.

Failure to follow a proper warm-up procedure and driving the engine too hard before the oil had lubricated the components all seem to contribute towards engine damage.

For much more information there is a section dedicated to the discussion of the Speed Six engine on the PistonHeads website we'd recommend you take a look at by clicking here.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Except Tom did own a TVR... not just OT guys who talked and shared you know. This is boring now, can you two just stop being dicks.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
I've heard of pistons & rods going and destroying the whole engine.

Is that enough Mr Troll? xxx

The modern TVRs are (were?) very twitchy cars. Not my cup of tea but some people like that sort of thing.

"Pistons & rods going" sounds like you are not very mechanically minded. I think you're refering to "throwing a rod" when the con-rod linking the piston to the crank lets go.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I once owned a Ferrari.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I not sure what that's got to do with the price of a loaf?

Also;

Engine Rebuild

There is intense debate among TVR owners over the reliability of the Speed Six engine. It is generally accepted that the earlier cars (pre 2003) did have issues with the quality of the engine components and there were some design issues.

Many of the failures, regardless of whether or not they were at the top or the bottom of the engine, can be traced back to a lack of effective lubrication or cooling of the moving parts or bearings, suggesting that insufficient quantities of oil are being delivered to those areas of most stress/weakness.

Failure to follow a proper warm-up procedure and driving the engine too hard before the oil had lubricated the components all seem to contribute towards engine damage.

For much more information there is a section dedicated to the discussion of the Speed Six engine on the PistonHeads website we'd recommend you take a look at by clicking here.

I've bolded the obvious part. Ragging any supercar from cold is a very bad idea, TVRs included. If you mistreat it, what can you expect? There are as many examples of very well cared, minor issue TVRs on the internet as ones that have had bad issues.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I miss the old General forum. It may have been quiet, but over the years its share of idiots had fallen to almost zero.

Himse

FH is my second home
The modern TVRs are (were?) very twitchy cars. Not my cup of tea but some people like that sort of thing.

"Pistons & rods going" sounds like you are not very mechanically minded. I think you're refering to "throwing a rod" when the con-rod linking the piston to the crank lets go.

I'm not, sorry I put it in leighmans terms..

I wasn't the one who started to be a cunt to anyone also, so i'm quite happy to end it there.

Himse

FH is my second home
I not sure what that's got to do with the price of a loaf?

I've bolded the obvious part. Ragging any supercar from cold is a very bad idea, TVRs included. If you mistreat it, what can you expect? There are as many examples of very well cared, minor issue TVRs on the internet as ones that have had bad issues.

Obviously, it's a bad idea to rag most cars when they are cold. Even my MG ZR!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'm not, sorry I put it in leighmans terms..

I wasn't the one who started to be a cunt to anyone also, so i'm quite happy to end it there.

When you propagate bullshit, expect to be called on it.

old.user4556

For what it's worth, BMW's engines aren't exactly bomb proof either. The 3.2 litre engine in the E36 M3 Evolution and Z3M had rubbish and ongoing VANOS issues where the variable valve gear would leak oil and eventually pack in causing either a) lack of power due to the inability to adjust the cam timing or b) the engine to leak all it's oil causing a complete engine failure.

Then there is the next generation E46 M3 engine which had shitty conrods causing all sorts of piston problems leaving people with complete engine replacements (BMW eventually admitted it as a design fault).

So that's two generations of M3s that have had a reasonable amount of bad press, but you don't hear a lot of mouthing off about those.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Except I basically just proved you wrong with 1 minute on google?

Nice.

Presumably when you drew on your wealth of experience, you forgot to mention that most speed six engine failures are down to poorly-designed cam followers. Perhaps you might find us an example of a speed six conrod or piston failure? Or how about an AJP8 failure? Or a RV8 failure?

You do know which models used which engines, right?

Or maybe, just maybe, you might admit that you know absolutely fuck all about TVRs and were just propagating the usual "TVRs are unreliable" codswallop that only people with no familiarity with the marque seem to be good at.

Changed your headgasket yet?

- English -

Resident Freddy
Presumably when you drew on your wealth of experience, you forgot to mention that most speed six engine failures are down to poorly-designed cam followers. Perhaps you might find us an example of a speed six conrod or piston failure? Or how about an AJP8 failure? Or a RV8 failure?

Or maybe, just maybe, you might admit that you know absolutely fuck all about TVRs and were just propagating the usual "TVRs are unreliable" codswallop that only people with no familiarity with the marque seem to be good at.

Changed your bodykit yet on your chav mobile?

fixed

Lethul

FH is my second home

Sounds like a lot of people on these boards talking about french cars :)

Himse

FH is my second home

Changed your headgasket yet?

I haven't as of yet, since i've not ragged my car it's been fine.

Also, 2 minutes on google showed me that TVR's can also get HGF pretty easily. So, have you changed yours?

Also, I was because it's pretty common knowledge, alright so what you owned a TVR woop de doo. Anyone i've heard talk about TVR's just talks about how un realiable they are. Don't get in a hissy fit over everything.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I want to change my air filter and I have no idea how to do it. There are too many mysterious boxes, wires, tubes and gubbins in the way :(

Himse

FH is my second home
I want to change my air filter and I have no idea how to do it. There are too many mysterious boxes, wires, tubes and gubbins in the way :(

Putting a new one on will give you gains of about 50bhp!!!! On a Puma!

Is what one of the muppets tried to tell me at my old job :( I'm not that mechanically minded, but that's just silly.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Putting a new one on will give you gains of about 50bhp!!!! On a Puma!

Is what one of the muppets tried to tell me at my old job :( I'm not that mechanically minded, but that's just silly.
heh, I'm doing it for a different noise. Like I also want dual exhaust pipes. I think street racing is for knobs; eg I am not doing it for any kind of speed boost :)

Serious TdC, an airfilter? There is no easier job :p
I'm sure there isn't, but sadly the air filter on the 2 liter JTS engine seems to be under a large amount of electronic gubbins that I am afraid to mess with.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I saw a GTR outside of work a few weeks ago, not the prettiest car (the 370Z looks better IMO) but its a hell of a machine :)

old.user4556

Sounds like a lot of people on these boards talking about french cars :)

Before I bought a Renault, everyone warned me "don't buy a French car! unreliable!". I said "Pah, Clarkson-esque bullshit! You've never owned one!".

I was wrong.

In six months of owning it from brand new, it:

- broke down completely and was with the dealer for a week (coolant temperature sensor failed)
- misfired from cold
- had an issue where the central locking stopped working (plug fell out)
- had the wheel arch lining fall off at 90 mph making a terrible scraping noise that gave me a brown trouser moment
- had an issue where the dashboard flashed like a wonky Christmas tree, never got that fixed
- had an oil leak from the cylinder head, was with Renault for 10 days as it needed a top end rebuild
- had a brake servo failure
- had various trim rattles
- had a weird issue where the air con blew out a curry smell

I will never own another French car, the reliability surveys back it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom