TOA server broken?

Blow

Fledgling Freddie
On exca alb in toa is unplayable, 3 green balls, but textures, weapstyles 5-10 sec delay, all other parts (camelot, si) are ok, whole guild has the same problem

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
reporting the same here 10 second lag up to 20 but all green, which means by the time ive finished casting bolt and try to cast dot the mob already on me :(

pooor pooor cavewark.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
alb/excal. Just abandoned our ml6 raid due to it :(

Antedeluvian

Fledgling Freddie
Wasn't OT this time, just the old-fashioned and damned ToA lag, which is back whit us. And ToA lag is a GOA problem, they cant hide now behind opentransit to justify it :m00:

Crimson LoneWolf

Fledgling Freddie
Yep, had a few weeks with this odd "lag" in TOA, and it feels exactly, if not worse, than when they installed TOA the first time back early this year..

Been doing some artifact farming for monday to thursday, and every single person in the BG had the same toa delay thingie, 16+ people.

I hope GOA will do something about it soon, as it's making it quite impossible to run around with pets that keep walking for 10 seconds and ends up pulling a whole town of red/purp mobs, heh.

[GOA]Erivoss

[GOA] Official type person
I mentioned it a few days ago about there being 2 problems. The first one is OpentTransit and we all - unfortunately - know about that.

The second is the internal problem and that's to do with alb and mid ToA zones. When NF was first launched, everyone was in the NF zones and so the lag in the ToA zones wasn't there. Now that things have calmed down, more and more people are going back into the ToA zones and so they are starting to lag more and more.

There are several possible solutions to this. The first is to add another machine to the server and put the alb ToA zones on one and mid ToA on the other. The problem with this solution is that it takes rather a long time to get the servers and set them up. Remember, it's not just one machine for Excal that we'd be adding but one for each server.

The second solution is to release 1.71 as quickly as possible. 1.71 has many many server side changes that affect the NF and ToA zones especially. We've been testing this version for a few weeks now but unfortunately it's like a slippery eel and we're still experiencing severe technical problems. Mythic are working on these problems overtime along with us and we're quite confident that once these technical problems are resolved we'll be able to release the version relatively quickly. (There isn't that much content that needs to be tested in all the languages for this version). Most of us who work actively on the new versions have cancelled (or pushed back) our xmas holidays to try and get this version to you asap. We are very aware of the lag problem and the problem that we face as a business because of it and are knocking heads about to get it fixed.

Antedeluvian

Fledgling Freddie
Sumarizing (sp?), are you saying us that we will have those 10 secs delay anytime 5 peeps are close in same ToA zone until the release of 1.71??!!

Do you realisce how poor is that service you are offering us? When your bosses had that nice idea of make the payment more expensive to 12 eurs we were told it was for the renewal and improvement of the technical service, since then we have: the mass crashes in odins, the ToA lag, the opentransit issues and now the ToA lag part2 "the return of the shit", in all this time whit all these problems we had iirc 2 free days...... :m00:

Wabbit

Fledgling Freddie
Hey I have a job too....My boss told me not to take holidays either...

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
Antedeluvian said:
Sumarizing (sp?), are you saying us that we will have those 10 secs delay anytime 5 peeps are close in same ToA zone until the release of 1.71??!!

Do you realisce how poor is that service you are offering us? When your bosses had that nice idea of make the payment more expensive to 12 eurs we were told it was for the renewal and improvement of the technical service, since then we have: the mass crashes in odins, the ToA lag, the opentransit issues and now the ToA lag part2 "the return of the shit", in all this time whit all these problems we had iirc 2 free days...... :m00:

Erivoss: kindly ignore needless comments like this. thankyou for the update which you did not have to supply, and the information, which you didnt need to share, but did anyway. the majority of us appreciate it. Even if the only (realistic)fix IS to wait until 1.71, its nice to know the result of that knowledge is you guys working your asses off to bring it to us.

Thank you again.

P.S. have a xmas drink on me ;)

Chilly

Balls of steel
To be fair erivoss+co at GOA whatever is quicker to fix the lag, do it. Even if it does cost you 20k euro to get another two boxes in the farm - im sure mant gamers would prefer a playable game to a patched unplayable game, and are you sure the lag will be fixed with 1.71?

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
Needs to be fixed as soon as possible its been going on for well before frontiers and as an example people might not be prepared to wait for a patch that maybe out next week or out next year.

You might find that when it is sorted out that there are no more customers left to coment on if its a good fix or not.

Although i will admit the Opentransit lag has gotten margionaly better but i wouldnt say its been fixed.

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
wonder if this push up the prices on artis as its almost impossible to do em now, lucky i have all mine, o wait still need credit on two :(

Wabbit

Fledgling Freddie
its relly really simple....daoc has been unplayable for 4-6 weeks now cos of non stop lagspikes and ld's....GoA needs to give his customers a free month of daoc, sue OT and get the money to pay us the free month from them...

Its like GoA telling us the servers went boom cos the janitor peed on the server and now they are fixing it without sueing the janitor to get the money back they lost cos of the broken server...

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Wabbit said:
its relly really simple....daoc has been unplayable for 4-6 weeks now cos of non stop lagspikes and ld's....GoA needs to give his customers a free month of daoc, sue OT and get the money to pay us the free month from them...

Its like GoA telling us the servers went boom cos the janitor peed on the server and now they are fixing it without sueing the janitor to get the money back they lost cos of the broken server...

2 small problems though. One is GOA and OT belong to same company and second one is OT is only choice too (i think)? :D

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Anyway, OpenTransit will die when WoW is released in Europe. :m00:
WoW European servers are also based in Paris.

Morry Molotov

Fledgling Freddie
Well tbh I realy dont care what the explaination is for this 10-15 sec of lag in ToA, I want it solved. This game is unplayble like this.

DrunkSkunk

Fledgling Freddie
[GOA]Erivoss said:
Most of us who work actively on the new versions have cancelled (or pushed back) our xmas holidays to try and get this version to you asap.

<3.

Xmi

Fledgling Freddie
God I thought it was just me, but I had same problem in TOA all morning. Mobs that are normally quite easy are doing some really strange stuff, including lots of them suddenly attacking when I can normally take them one by one. I am also taking an age to get spells/hits off, sometimes they cast sometimes they don't.

This is really starting to piss me off, and for the first time ever I am thinking of giving this shit up and going with the crowd to WoW. I don't want to but I can't play this game anymore when it is this unplayable - it is just too frustrating.

Xmi

Fledgling Freddie
[GOA]Erivoss said:
I mentioned it a few days ago about there being 2 problems. The first one is OpentTransit and we all - unfortunately - know about that.

The second is the internal problem and that's to do with alb and mid ToA zones. When NF was first launched, everyone was in the NF zones and so the lag in the ToA zones wasn't there. Now that things have calmed down, more and more people are going back into the ToA zones and so they are starting to lag more and more.

There are several possible solutions to this. The first is to add another machine to the server and put the alb ToA zones on one and mid ToA on the other. The problem with this solution is that it takes rather a long time to get the servers and set them up. Remember, it's not just one machine for Excal that we'd be adding but one for each server.

The second solution is to release 1.71 as quickly as possible. 1.71 has many many server side changes that affect the NF and ToA zones especially. We've been testing this version for a few weeks now but unfortunately it's like a slippery eel and we're still experiencing severe technical problems. Mythic are working on these problems overtime along with us and we're quite confident that once these technical problems are resolved we'll be able to release the version relatively quickly. (There isn't that much content that needs to be tested in all the languages for this version). Most of us who work actively on the new versions have cancelled (or pushed back) our xmas holidays to try and get this version to you asap. We are very aware of the lag problem and the problem that we face as a business because of it and are knocking heads about to get it fixed.

I read most of the thread but missed this post. Your efforts here are appreciated, personally I think you should do both rather than just rely on 1.71 fixing this, then going oh it didn't fix it. I would also like to see some compensation for our frustrations.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
So when is this going to be fixed?

Ridiculous at the moment you simply cannot play in TOA zones.

Yurka

One of Freddy's beloved
Quick question:

If the US servers have played with 1.70 for a certain amount of time, yet their servers/toa area area able to cope with it, why aren't the EU servers coping?

The reply from [GOA]Erivoss says theirs several (basically two) solutions to the ToA lag problems. That they could either add in more servers to run the ToA areas for each of the realms, or bring in 1.71. [GOA]Erivoss mentioned that they could add in new servers to cope with the extra payload of resources needed to run toa, yet it would take along time to implement. Surely tests and statistics from the US servers should show any problems that may rise up from running 1.70 over 1.69 and give appropriate solutions such as upgrades to the server(s). Merely looking at a similar sized population as excal and comparing how the servers cope with the patch/lag/population should give goa an indication of what to implement, which should "coushin" us from the bad things (didn't want to use nastys :p) heading our way. If this had been overlooked then it must be up to goa to put in effect the solutions provided by them ASAP, since they have overlooked the problem in the first place. Yes it may take sometime to put the new servers in, but you are the company that undertook the contract to run these servers, since you "have the right stuff" to run this sort of operation. In the mean time some sort of free week/months pay may be put forward in good faith, since your selling a product which isn't working as it says it should.

and for the other solution:

If there was some problem with the games netcoding or whatever, then surely mythic would have made a fix for the US servers to sort out the issuses with the ToA area. Now if this fix was 1.71 which patched the problems in 1.70 to do with ToA zones then surely the best solution would be to keep to 1.69, then release 1.71 and skip 1.70 on the EU servers.

I don't want to be just blaming the company which runs the servers, but at sometimes it just seems so stupid some the errors which come popping up. It feels like theres something wrong with the company's approach to running this game.

Brennik

Fledgling Freddie
Quick answer: the US servers didn't cope with 1.70 :) I'm not sure whether Mythic actually added new computers as the first fix, can't remember that, but 1.71 helped in the end.

Yurka

One of Freddy's beloved
Which leads me back to, if the US servers didn't cope then surely preparing the EU ones with upgrades etc was the thing to do. But then why do that, when you could save the money of not upgrading and applying the 1.71 patch straight away? Im sure staying on 1.69 till 1.71 was ready would be much prefered by the community than the current situation.

Brennik

Fledgling Freddie
True, would be nice to hear what the reasoning behind the patch order was.

Kalba

Can't get enough of FH
Yurka said:
Im sure staying on 1.69 till 1.71 was ready would be much prefered by the community than the current situation.

I'm sure staying on 1.65 till 1.90 or so would've been prefered by the community ;)

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Yurka said:
Which leads me back to, if the US servers didn't cope then surely preparing the EU ones with upgrades etc was the thing to do. But then why do that, when you could save the money of not upgrading and applying the 1.71 patch straight away? Im sure staying on 1.69 till 1.71 was ready would be much prefered by the community than the current situation.
I answered this in a different thread but I'll repeat it here. Mythic upgraded their servers after 1.70 once the performance issues were apparent. As it happened they went to 1.71 at about the same time as the server upgrades. You can find the actual timeline on the Camelot Herald.

In response to the issues faced by Mythic when they patched to 1.70 we took the step of upgrading our servers before New Frontiers went live to minimise the effects of the performance hit (you can see the relevant posts about this in the Friday News). We now see that both solutions were necessary to keep the servers performing at optimal levels - both the hardware upgrade and the code optimisations in 1.71.

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
both solutions were necessary to keep the servers performing at optimal levels

We don't need optimal levels, just playable levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom