TOA server broken?

fruitcake

Fledgling Freddie
[GOA]Erivoss said:
The second is the internal problem and that's to do with alb and mid ToA zones. When NF was first launched, everyone was in the NF zones and so the lag in the ToA zones wasn't there. Now that things have calmed down, more and more people are going back into the ToA zones and so they are starting to lag more and more.

There are several possible solutions to this. The first is to add another machine to the server and put the alb ToA zones on one and mid ToA on the other.
So really it comes down to a hardware upgrade which we where told had already taken place,for the release of NF.Now it seems that any upgrade that took place wasn't enough and another that you could do isn't going to happen because of,lets not kid ourselves cost.
Any problem is fixable be it a hardware upgrade or extra manpower on the patch translation,if you don't do what is needed you are taking our money and at the same time knowingly giving us a game that is unplayable.

Not your fault personaly i'm sure but that really is unforgivable

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
fruitcake said:
So really it comes down to a hardware upgrade which we where told had already taken place,for the release of NF.Now it seems that any upgrade that took place wasn't enough and another that you could do isn't going to happen because of,lets not kid ourselves cost.
Any problem is fixable be it a hardware upgrade or extra manpower on the patch translation,if you don't do what is needed you are taking our money and at the same time knowingly giving us a game that is unplayable.

Not your fault personaly i'm sure but that really is unforgivable
Most problems are solvable if you throw an unlimited amount of money at them. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best way to solve the issue though.

The upgrade we performed before NF was to beef up the servers we already have - better processors, more RAM etc. The otion outlined here is to buy an entirely new box for each server and add it to the existing cluster. As Erivoss says, this isn't just to fix Excal, we'd have to do it for every server except Camlann - 11 new boxes. Not the kind of decision any sane company takes without taking a serious look at alternatives. At the end of the day, if we throw money at a problem to solve it in the short term regardless of the consequences we're causing problems for ourselves down the line - the cash has to come from somewhere and if we're spending money on new servers, then it means that we're not spending it somewhere else and as a result another part of our service is suffering.
It's also not an instant fix. There would be some delay before the machines were delivered to us then there's the actual work of integrating them into the network and reconfiguring things to take them into account. Even if they were already on order, my money would be on 1.71 going live before new machines were installed and ready to use.

We are, as Erivoss stated, looking into all the available options to resolve this problem. New hardware is one of them, the code optimisations in 1.71 are another. Our network techs may come up with other options as well in the meantime.

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
Either they have to work on setting up the 11 new servers.. or they can work on getting 1.71 ready.. either one solves the problem as I understand it.

What would you do? I'm guessing you know how much even just ONE of those servers cost with warranty and everything? Not to mention delivery time..

fruitcake

Fledgling Freddie
Fenderon said:
Either they have to work on setting up the 11 new servers.. or they can work on getting 1.71 ready.. either one solves the problem as I understand it.

What would you do? I'm guessing you know how much even just ONE of those servers cost with warranty and everything? Not to mention delivery time..

What i would do isn't really the issue is it? as it isn't up to me.But what any company should do is give people what they are paying for.If i pay for a car i expect it to have an engine,much the same here.And it's not like the euro servers don't get any warning,as we are months behind the states.
I'm not saying it is easy or dosen't cost anything,in fact i said cost was the issue,what i am saying is it still has to be done.

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
Since GOA and Mythic obviously (sp?) run different hardware there is no chance GOA will only have the same problems Mythic are having/had. I'm pretty sure we have less trouble/downtime than the americans. Why? They get hotfixes, we get them with the next patch therefor no extra downtime.

Yes I agree the lag is annoying and its sad that so many ML raids have failed. However I'm 100% sure GOA are doing their best to make things better and are working with Mythic doing so. And there is the euro-players problem that the americans dont have.. The company (mythic) hosting their gameservers dont have to consult another company (because its still mythic) all the time to find the problem(s). GOA provide us with the service, but its not their software so I'm guessing even if they know how to, they have a ton of restrictions on them on what they can do and cant do.

Also you dont just pull 11 new überservers out of your ass either, they cost a shitload and it takes time to set them up, test them and making sure they work 100%. This will just take up GOAs time they could be using on implementing the new software (1.71 patch) that fix the original problem.. Mythics code.

I'm hungry :(

Grimmen

Fledgling Freddie
What annoys me most being on all of those ML4 attempts is that I have spent many hours on gaining absolutely nothing and all we heard from Erivoss is how he cant do jackshit about it last time we tried. WoW(nailed that one didnt I? ;) ), that feels like a real customer service.

Yurka

One of Freddy's beloved
Requiel said:
We now see that both solutions were necessary to keep the servers performing at optimal levels - both the hardware upgrade and the code optimisations in 1.71.

So you admit its your fault because you overlooked that it maybe both solutions instead of one clear cut solution to fix the problem...?

I hear what your saying about the costs/intergration of new hardware and setup times and as a business it may not be feasable or a decent option to spend money on a short term fix. You say that 1.71 will be the fix to the problems which are currently plaguing the servers at the moment, yet in the mean time you'll still banking the money of pre-paying clients who have been expecting a service you should be providing.

Taking aside the 1.71 patch conversion time which should/hopefully fix the current problems surely giving the client some sort of refund/voucher must be the first move since its obvious that 1.71 will take "along time" to implement. You can't take someones money then not deliver your product, without some sort of payment. After all your not a scamming/hoax/fake company.

-EDIT- Nice to see some posting by GMs on non working days... though maybe your doing overtime on the 1.71 (joke intended, not a cheap dig :D )

fruitcake

Fledgling Freddie
Fenderon said:
Since GOA and Mythic obviously (sp?) run different hardware there is no chance GOA will only have the same problems Mythic are having/had. I'm pretty sure we have less trouble/downtime than the americans. Why? They get hotfixes, we get them with the next patch therefor no extra downtime.

Yes I agree the lag is annoying and its sad that so many ML raids have failed. However I'm 100% sure GOA are doing their best to make things better and are working with Mythic doing so. And there is the euro-players problem that the americans dont have.. The company (mythic) hosting their gameservers dont have to consult another company (because its still mythic) all the time to find the problem(s). GOA provide us with the service, but its not their software so I'm guessing even if they know how to, they have a ton of restrictions on them on what they can do and cant do.

Also you dont just pull 11 new überservers out of your ass either, they cost a shitload and it takes time to set them up, test them and making sure they work 100%. This will just take up GOAs time they could be using on implementing the new software (1.71 patch) that fix the original problem.. Mythics code.

I'm hungry :(

Well as the patches we get are exactly the same and as has been stated the 1.71 has a lot of server side fixes for this problem,i would say it could have been predicted.
Mythic not running their own servers in europe is also part of the problem though you seem to think that should be forgiven.As you point out that is another set of problems that GOA has,refering back to mythic all the time.But unlike you i don't think that should be forgiven,mythic want us to play their game so they should not have third parties running the servers,as that is! part of the problem.

And as i keep saying i know full well it is cost,that was my original point.But so what? as i said if i bought a car i expect it to have an engine,if i buy a train ticket i expect to be able to get on a train,if i subscribe to an online game i expect who ever runs it to have the hardware to do the job.

Trains,car engines and servers don't come for free,well what a surprise

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Kaelimar said:
telia will host WoW servers. and they are a SWE company not french

Haha, and thats supposed to make people feel comfortable? ;)

Ohh, and bring on 1.71, would be stupid to spend a huge amount of money to fix something that can be fixed for free, in the same timeframe.

krebbe

Fledgling Freddie
Basically the US upgraded the servers and the code to 1.71 at the same time, and the lag problem was solved: it wasn't clear which upgrade solved the problem, but who cared because it worked. GOA upgraded the servers for the 1.70 patch (anticipating the lag problems) and hoped for the best.

It is apparent now that a server upgrade alone is insufficient to amend the 1.70 patch problems, but it would be a hell of a lot worse if they hadn't seen this coming and left the server upgrades for later. I don't think this problem was particularly easy to avoid, but the lag is ridiculous and a week's free gaming wouldn't go amiss.

I don't write here often, but Yurka was spamming links to his post on IRC and it was too much to ignore :p

Xmi

Fledgling Freddie
For me, going forward with this, there are a couple of things, compensation yes - stop taking our patience for granted and start bolstering it! Secondly your new updates, they are not detailed enough when it comes to issues, and any issues that are there are not updated enough - we should not have to come here to find out the finer details of what's going on; for instance I wasn't aware until I experienced some very odd going on's in ToA (which in turn annoyed the hell out of me), that ToA was particularly affected by the lag.

P.S. (and on a completely different note) I love the new Roll of Honour pages, good to see useful web content finally coming through for the european players. I can't figure out how to search for individual players though, only seems to be possible if they have a house, and even then you only get their house details - any help appreciated.

Kaelimar

Fledgling Freddie
Any1 know if it´s only excal that have these lag in toa zones? and i mean servers with same numbers online

if it is why is it only excal in that case?

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Most problems are solvable if you throw an unlimited amount of money at them. It doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best way to solve the issue though.

The upgrade we performed before NF was to beef up the servers we already have - better processors, more RAM etc. The otion outlined here is to buy an entirely new box for each server and add it to the existing cluster. As Erivoss says, this isn't just to fix Excal, we'd have to do it for every server except Camlann - 11 new boxes. Not the kind of decision any sane company takes without taking a serious look at alternatives. At the end of the day, if we throw money at a problem to solve it in the short term regardless of the consequences we're causing problems for ourselves down the line - the cash has to come from somewhere and if we're spending money on new servers, then it means that we're not spending it somewhere else and as a result another part of our service is suffering.
It's also not an instant fix. There would be some delay before the machines were delivered to us then there's the actual work of integrating them into the network and reconfiguring things to take them into account. Even if they were already on order, my money would be on 1.71 going live before new machines were installed and ready to use.

We are, as Erivoss stated, looking into all the available options to resolve this problem. New hardware is one of them, the code optimisations in 1.71 are another. Our network techs may come up with other options as well in the meantime.

Isn't hindsight a wonderfull thing ....

basically it all boils down to money, GoA will not put 11 new servers into a cluster unless they know that they will get a good return on investment..

They are not going to add 11 more servers from the goodness of there heart.

Requiel said:
the cash has to come from somewhere and if we're spending money on new servers, then it means that we're not spending it somewhere else

The "somewhere else" means the company profit to shareholders, after all if they spend it on servers that means, the boss can't buy a new company car, cynical maybe..

:m00:

Crimson LoneWolf

Fledgling Freddie
I'm just about to throw something out the window. We are being told we'll have to LIVE with this lag for the next, what, MONTHS? I cant believe i'm gonna have to run 12 artifact raids with this bloody lag, when it has already turned into a nightmare.

What is the point of having beta-testers, closed beta's and open beta's, if not for the purpose of FULLY testing EVERY part of the game with the new installed client and further program upgrades? Oh yeah, who cares if the test's show that it can't run 100% stable on the servers. Lets just keep that information to ourselves and let people around europe bang their heads against a wall in frustration.

Excuse my lack of patience and generalisations, but i'm very very very angry about this and i'm about to throw GOA 2 accounts back in their face's if they dont get their act together and do something and start posting info on their bloody SITE instead on FH.

-----
Avowed

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Think about it..your customer base is dropping faster than ever before..would you pay out 1000's for new servers, i think not.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
Think about it..your customer base is dropping faster than ever before..would you pay out 1000's for new servers, i think not.

only if you thought you would make a profit, otherwise its a waste of money that could be spent on "something else"

:m00:

Ilienwyn

Fledgling Freddie
Big issue on this must be the way things work here and US. Europe consists of different countries which usually gather all networks and use specific "pipelines" to other countries like lots of WANs connected together at specific points only. In US it is one big country with everything working in the same WAN without problems. Another problem is with the technologies which means US has same technology all over while Europe can have differences form country to country.

These should also affect the performance of our networks too, right?

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Antedeluvian said:
What you did to fix the ToA lag the first time? well, redo it, voila! fixed :m00:

Yes, why didnt they think of that?!!! :rolleyes:

Blow

Fledgling Freddie
So Requiel can you give me a solution then what i can do? I only want to level my artifacts, and the artifact only lvls on toa mobs. Can I put my account on hold till its solved? I mean i really cannot play like this in toa. And 1.71 can take up to end of january.

Blow

Fledgling Freddie
If its 1.71 that solves it, and alb / mid excal are the only ones that has this lag issue, then put 1.71 live on excal, since it does not need a translation.

Crimson LoneWolf

Fledgling Freddie
we're wasting our time and money at the moment. as if toa wasnt already causing a lot of people to grow frustrated at getting ml's, artifacts and levelling them, now they have to cope with 10 second message delay, and about the same when trying to use a melee style or cast a spell. what a way to treat people who pay cash every month, to play a game, that they just cant play because of some bad programming.

and the biggest laugh of them all? remember that goa stated they were waiting for a MORE stable version of NF before they would even start the testing/translation for europe? and what did they do? THEY BLOODY USED A CRAPPY VERSION ANYHOW! SHAME ON YOU GOA!

Sugah

Fledgling Freddie
The game is unplayable for me at the moment because i'm not interested in going to the frontiers the things i want to do ingame at the moment is in TOA. This means the game is unplayable for me and GOA have admitted its there fault so i would like free days for every day i have been unable to play.

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
i GOT the SOLUTION to this problem and its called WOW.
Telia connection >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> opentransit

Blizzard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GOA

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Oboy said:
i GOT the SOLUTION to this problem and its called WOW.
Telia connection >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> opentransit

Blizzard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>GOA
Just ask any Battle.net player how good Telia is...
They hosted the European gateway and it was dreadful on the rare occasions when it was up.

Kaod

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
- the cash has to come from somewhere and if we're spending money on new servers, then it means that we're not spending it somewhere else and as a result another part of our service is suffering.

Like where for example?
Paying OT for their fantastic service and amazing troubleshooting skills?
In-game Customer support?
The man behind the official site who is keeping the player base so well informed?

The above remarks are not a sarcastic flame attempt, they are real concerns that myself and at the very least some others have.

This really is a poor showing from GOA, not just one persistant problem (not directly GOA's fault, but still their responsibility to their customers) but a second that MAY be fixed as and when the serious problems with 1.71 are resolved.

I don't mind being informed I will get a poor standard of service for x reason, if in the meantime until y if I am not being charged for it or at the very least getting a price reduction for partial service.
That is life.

Since this seems to be the only place to find out from official sources what is REALLY going on, I would like a GOA representative to tell me if we are due ANY free time at all for the poor standard of service over the past weeks, and if not, why not.

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Kaod said:
I don't mind being informed I will get a poor standard of service for x reason, if in the meantime until y if I am not being charged for it or at the very least getting a price reduction for partial service.
That is life.

Since this seems to be the only place to find out from official sources what is REALLY going on, I would like a GOA representative to tell me if we are due ANY free time at all for the poor standard of service over the past weeks, and if not, why not.
If that happens it will be announced on the official site and not here. Any decision like that will be taken way over my head and as such I can't and won't speculate on it.

Kaod

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
If that happens it will be announced on the official site and not here. Any decision like that will be taken way over my head and as such I can't and won't speculate on it.

Fair enough I understand that.

I therefore ask that you ask the question of those senior people, so that they give an answer one way or another and THAT is put on the official site.

Antedeluvian

Fledgling Freddie
We, the customers, deserve:

a) The problems fixed FAST, and no, wait until 1.71 is NOT FAST.

or

b) Free days or even a reduction on monthly payment while those GOA problems happends until get fixed.

Thats supposing GOA would be a company capable of give a good service to their subscriptors, sadly this is not the case. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom