To Sar

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SFXman

Is the default VBulletin disclaimer and will be on all normal installations of these type of forums. It isn't something specific to Barrysworld because our guild forums (along with nearly every VBulletin forum in the world) has one. It doesn't define what an obscenity is, that is down to the forum admins and is what empowers them to moderate as they see fit.
Hmm, interesting. So maybe this was not against the rules then, but anyway.... these boards should have the language toned down to an level that an 11 year old will not find offending (well they most likely will not but their parents will ;) )

D

Damini

One incident.... ONE incident is what everyone is referring to. My goodness people. These forums have not, contrary to poular belief, been overtaken by the National Tourettes Societies PublicSpeakers Wing.

EDIT:// Ta Throdgrain.... Ahem.... Two incidents.... TWO incidents is what....

EDIT#2:// Erm, it disappeared, so One incident... ONE incident is what...

O

old.stroke

To make it clear. This has nothing to do with open/narrowmindedness. I drove a thread about free speech pretty far on the old forums. I have nothing against specific words as they are but words. But if someone gets offended by something i say, i ask why, and then apologize if i find the reason acceptable. It's as simple as that. Respect eachother.

S

SFXman

Originally posted by throdgrain
So we're not allowed to swear on BW?
Thats funny I been here for years and have made over 2000 posts, and no-one ever ******* told me
;)
lol... but *krhm* as was said earlier on this post on these particular boards such language should be non-existant almost. It doesn't bother me at all but as we have seen it bothers many others.
Somehow the MMORPG community differs from you "others" and maybe this language can be tolerated elsewhere due to the fact that most FPS games these days are violent and thus receive an 18+ age limit or whatever.
But throdgrain, refrain from using this language on these DAoC boards since I for one don't want any more posts about people getting insulted, since I (JUST MY OPINION :D ) find them quite... hmm... not pointless but.... unnecessary due to the fact that the odd people who do swear are fromt he other boards or they are just simply "different" types of DAoC players.
This post might be a bit hard to understand but anyhoo you get my point.

EDIT: censored quote since his post is no more either.

O

old.Rawkeer

The fact is, that bad language is not nice, its against the forum rules, and moderators should respect this. They are supposed to be setting an example and the fact that most 11+ year olds know the words is not the issue. Sar could at least just apologise and promise to tone down the language used. I'm not offended by any language really but i respect that fact that others may be, and moderators should respect this also. Feel free to swear at me in PM all you want Sar and expect the same back, but let the children around hear remain naive for as long as possible :D

T

Trebz

I got work to do, so I'm gonna leave this thread to cool off, dont make me get the water pistols out when i get back....

I

Ifalna

You sorry bunch of pathetic idiots.
Come over to the half life forums for a visit , pray :)

Half-life... is that a game or something? :p

O

old.stroke

I believe half-life is what happens when you play a mmorpg, followed by no-life.

B

Brannor McThife

You sorry bunch of pathetic idiots.
Come over to the half life forums for a visit , pray :)

Played half-life/CS, etc for a good few 2 years. Of course, that was in South Africa where I regularly ranked in the top 5 and was despised for my style of playing. Then I moved to the UK, and played it for 3 months or so, got tired of the hundreds and hundreds of cheaters, bunny hoppers, etc. and got bored with the game. Moved on to Ghost Recon. Great game, real skill required for a change (Expert, NO TI, no jumping, etc.). Then DAoC came along...playing that now...got the GR expansion sitting on my desk...will get round to it eventually.

JUST, so you don't think I'm an RPG gimp. ;)

-G

H

Hufner

Originally posted by Bubbles

Half-life... is that a game or something? :p

Nope, just states that the poster is closer to real life than us :p

H

Hufner

Originally posted by Brannor McThife

<snip>
JUST, so you don't think I'm an RPG gimp. ;)

-G

Oooh - feel the need to defend yourself Brannor? :p

How about RPG chimp? ;)

D

Damini

Originally posted by Rawkeer
The fact is, that bad language is not nice, its against the forum rules

Actually, its not, it's against the new code of decorum bought in by the new forum users and as such people are still adjusting.

and moderators should respect this.

Like I said, Sar responded without using any swearing, and whilst he didn't roll onto his back and wee in the air all submissive, I think the response was quite muted. If I'd sworn whilst trying to be friendly and had umpteen people handbagging me as the antichrist and corrupter of children in public, I'd be a little annoyed.

Feel free to swear at me in PM all you want Sar and expect the same back, but let the children around hear remain naive for as long as possible :D

You guys have the strangest opinion of Sar. He doesn't go around stealing the naivety of youths, nor does he bathe in the blood of virgins for that youthful glowing skin. He swore. Why on earth would he want to PM any of you to just liberate himself of those hepped up curses?

Sorry to use you as an example Rawkeer, it's just this whole thing is a tad silly. You guys are hepped up about rehoming, and no, things aren't gonna be quite the same. So these evil malavelent fps players swear, and everyone rushes to man the battlements. As a group of roleplayers, you know how important it is to be taken seriously. There's nothing worse than having your roleplay undermined by people taking the mickey. Now, surely in a community of mainly FPS players, that would be a very easy thing to happen. Has it? No. Everyone has respected to a greater degree your game, your presence and your opinions. I think its time you respected the people in your new home too. Don't dismiss one person on the basis of an attempted joke, read the rest of his posts before you condemn him to hell and eternal suffering. If it really upsets you so much, then in your profile options you can put people on ignore.

Edit:// Btw, I'm normally nice and unargumentative, but it's annoyed me to see Sar demonised over a mistake.

Anyone wants to join me for some Badger pie and a dance around the willow tree, feel free :)

T

throdgrain

Well said Damini. Poor old Barrysworld gets bought out by big business, the next thing you know you got hundreds of saddo rpg ppl here. Is it cos they pay per month to play I wonder? Of course it is.
Sar is an excellent bloke, certainly not the anti-christ.
Hell thats me, or so it seems.
/oo a whole post without swearing, how did I do it ?

D

Damini

Erm, I *am* one of those saddo rpg ppl Throd. Well done on the not swearing, you now get back your warm milk and cookie priveledges.

H

Hufner

None of you are labeled as anti-christ, and none of you will ever become one ;)
As Damini says, it's a culture-clash here. A lot of disgruntled rpg'ers gets "forcibly" moved here and are sceptical of FPS forums. Things will calm down shortly I guess.

D

Damini

Thank you Hufner.

Slice of Badger pie? I caught it myself. Admittedly, most of the blood is mine, but it's the thought that counts...

T

throdgrain

Lol well stop it m8 :)
Tbh the game they play dont bother in the slightest, I like vindaloo it dont mean you do does it? We're all free to do what we want. But this attitude is sad beyond sad. Not allowed to swear? Look I have taken issue with people before over what they say, I recall a particular thread involving perplex a year or so ago. Check it out rpg'ers, you bloody wince then ;)
And all these pint of foaming ale threads absolutely do my head in.
/ps is bloody a swear word ?

T

throdgrain

God ive done me own head in now.
Ew is God a swear word ?

O

old.Kharos

TBH, I don't give a damn.

And there was quite a lot of swearing on the DAOC forums towards the end. This has all gotten out of hand though and now I think ppl are agueing tharguments sake... which is sad.

Yes it was a mistake, and yes I reported it to admin, I ain't gonna defend nor try and offend. The part that got me me was it was directed at some one he didn't know and that person took offence, then when a quick apologie wasn't forth coming it made matters worse. These arn't the only forums I post on and no I ain't easily offended. Yes it was a mistake. The morality of the situation nor what goes on else where is really part of the issue any more.. seems to me that it's now a mtter of point scoreing, which helps no one. I've seen guilds of good mates fall out because of this type of arguing and I don't think it's a good start to a new set of forums.

At the end of the day Sar was trying to be friendly, okay he got the tone wrong. Wow no one else made a mistake? Aye a quick apology would have gone a long way to helping... but to blow it up like this... not clever not good.. please let done deeds be done?

Now... can we just leave it there please

H

Hufner

Oooh, my oh my - is it hibbie-blood then? If so it's allright ;)

H

Hufner

Thodgrain, the ones you're trying to tick off have allready put you on their ignore-list ;)

O

old.stroke

I believe
bloody means something's been cut up slightly and therefor bleeding.
cock is a male bird uttering noises early in the morning.

or it could mean something else if you want to.

D

Damini

Middie blood I'm afraid. I call it "Skald's Surprise", made from a secret recipe.

H

Hufner

Oh, all right then - will you sing speedsong while I eat it?

D

Damini

Right you are...

*Damini subtly tries to find the healers in the area, just in case....*

J

Jupitus

I am unhappy that a 'moderator', joking or otherwise, uses language such as you do:

People seem to think that I was personally offended by what Sar posted. I did not say that I was offended by the language - in appropriate circumstances I would use the same kind of language myself (although I wouldn't do so in a public forum, but that is just my choice). The reason for my post was to draw attention to the fact that language a coarse as this was being posted in what GOA have now advised us should become the 'unofficial' DAoC community home, and by a forum moderator (I did not spot the distinction on which areas Sar mods, so apologies there). It may well have been just ONE incident, as someone put, but in my mind for that incident to happen on day one does not bode well for the future. Hopefully I am wrong in that and things will settle.

I appreciate the fact that many people here seem to realise that it may make for a better DAoC community to tone it down a little, and that is a good thing in my opinion.

Sar, however, seems to think that I am some kind of stuck up moron though, so I would like to answer his/her questions:
Read the Guardian do we?

Or the Observer?

Or how about the Daily Mail?

Nope... occasionally flick to page 3 of my wife's Sun because I am just a normal bloke.

Watch a lot of Watchdog?

Nope... only ever see it if the tv is left on that channel and I can't reach the remote from my PC

Anne Robinson your "Crusading Heroine" is she?

No - too hairy for my liking.;)

Guess what, these are boards used primarily by adults because the gaming community on BW is a largely adult (18+) one.

That's fine... I was unfamiliar with these boards before yesterday, and now that I understand better I will be able to bear it in mind. However, DAoC is targeted at a younger audience (11+ on my copy) so I was rather disappointed that GOA have chosen to partner with BW for their forum, effectively excluding younger players from sharing their views too (assuming that at least some other parents would take a similar stance, although not all would, I know).

And I bet your son (Little Timmy?) knows twice the amount of "bad" words that you do.

Get your wallet out then Sar... I am pretty worldly, and know quite a few.

Whether or not my son knows words like this is totally irrelevant. He has enough common sense, respect for others and grasp of the English language that he doesn't use them.

To Stroke: You refer to another thread in the Prydwen RvR forum. Did you mean that I suggested someone goes to learn English better or Brannor? If you thought I had posted something like that then you are mistaken, I think (or I was very very drunk, and have never since noticed my post). I would not criticise anyone for not being able to spell. Please check, and post a link to the old thread if you find it please.

Sar - if you wish to continue a personal attack, please don't expect a response before Sunday evening. I'm off to sunny Spain for a couple of nights drinking beer, looking at girls, swearing lots with my mates, and generally doing all things 'stag-like'.

Cheerio!

Jup.

O

Orin Askhammare

Sar is also one of the saddo RPG people! He's my guildmaster ffs (whoops).

To be honest I think things will settle down in the end and some sort of compromise will develop naturally. At least I hope so.

Still I find Jup's post a bit odd, because it would mean he'd have to constantly sit behind his little one while he was playing. I hope your kiddo doesn't find out about the /filter command soon ;) Have you explained yet what the @#$@! in the text means? Or do you tell him it means teletubbie?

That was a bit harsh sorry, but my point is that your kid will see his share of swear words just playing DAOC, not everything is caught by the filters. So I find it kind of odd that these forums should be more strictly "policed" when it doesn't even happen in the game either!

H

Hufner

No worries Damini, us dwarves are a sturdy type.

Hmmm... I wonder what the ancient norse called being sick ;)

J

Jupitus

Edit:// Btw, I'm normally nice and unargumentative, but it's annoyed me to see Sar demonised over a mistake.

Sorry Damini.. wasn't my intention, but if Sar DID just make a simple mistake, why respond to me with an albeit mild personal attack? The public flogging other people are giving Sar is probably more because he came back at me on the offensive rather than simply saying 'oops' and editing his thread if it really was a mistake.

What alot of fun for our first 48 hours with BW

:rolleyes:

Jup.

T

throdgrain

Originally posted by Nucleus
Sar is also one of the saddo RPG people! He's my guildmaster ffs (whoops).

I know he plays the game. Its not the game I find sad, tho its certainly not what i want to spend my evenings dong, but your attitude towards a forum thats been here for years, you turn up and two days later youre coating someone for swearing, regardless of the accepted conventions of Barrysworld. Yes to a degree they are all different forums but they remain under the umbrella of Barrysworld, when you click on veiw all new posts i get to see nonsense like this, as well as all the other posts.
Btw what exactly does "ffs" mean ? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom