SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Toying with the idea of converting a sprinter or Luton van into a camper/off grid vehicle. Was thinking about going electric.

Yeah...no

83 miles... come on Mercedes, easy carbon saving if last drop was electrified.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Wow. No wonder they're trying to shift it for less than 20 grand.

Had idly planned a fully electric Luton van that could charge over a few days, with an enormous amount of solar...but 83 miles is hilarious.

Weight I guess, only 3ton on most vans.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Had idly planned a fully electric Luton van that could charge over a few days, with an enormous amount of solar...but 83 miles is hilarious.

Weight I guess, only 3ton on most vans.

That one has a teeny tiny battery for a van so it's obviously for local runs (5 miles or so). It's probably fine if its for infrequent deliveries. You wouldn't be using it for constant deliveries but lots of businesses don't need that; if you do there are versions of that same van with three times the battery size.

(Going through all this at the moment because we're looking at EV grocery vans and there's not really one out there that has the range we need and can still run chilled storage. There's one in the US that looks like the future but over here there are only some not great Ivecos that a few companies are testing this side of the pond)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That one has a teeny tiny battery for a van so it's obviously for local runs (5 miles or so). It's probably fine if its for infrequent deliveries. You wouldn't be using it for constant deliveries but lots of businesses don't need that; if you do there are versions of that same van with three times the battery size.

(Going through all this at the moment because we're looking at EV grocery vans and there's not really one out there that has the range we need and can still run chilled storage. There's one in the US that looks like the future but over here there are only some not great Ivecos that a few companies are testing this side of the pond)

You should look at camper van manufacturers, you can get a lot of appliance power in them, often powered from solar alone, you can get a lot of wattage on a van roof, although, I imagine a refrigerated van would need a shitload.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Cartagena Protocol - if a product of modern biotechnology poses a possible risk to human health or the environment, measures should be taken to restrict or prevent its introduction.

Maybe we should be focussing more on reducing child poverty?

Glad the courts see sense.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Cartagena Protocol - if a product of modern biotechnology poses a possible risk to human health or the environment, measures should be taken to restrict or prevent its introduction.

Maybe we should be focussing more on reducing child poverty?

Glad the courts see sense.
It doesn’t pose a risk and your answer is trivialising the problem. Reducing child poverty isn’t going to happen overnight just because you think it’s a better solution. Kids will go blind and die for no good reason at all.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It doesn’t pose a risk
The courts disagree. And I agree with them.

We could supplement, very cheaply, whilst we start actually giving a shit about child poverty.

It's the wrong solution with a giant pile of slippery-slope downsides.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The courts disagree. And I agree with them.

We could supplement, very cheaply, whilst we start actually giving a shit about child poverty.

It's the wrong solution with a giant pile of slippery-slope downsides.
The courts are wrong and have no good evidence. There is mountains of evidence proving that Golden Rice and similar plants are safe. Feel free to go to the Philippines and get them to solve their child poverty problem so that this isn’t needed if you like but since that’s not going to happen anytime soon this decision dooms more kids to blindness and death.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nope. We've spoken about this before. There are inherent risks in GM crops - including inevitable global cross-contamination of one of the worlds most important crops.

The real solutions are simple, cost effective and proven - vitamin A deficiency was a devestating problem in Bangladesh and we've largely solved it through the combination of cheap supplementation and, really importantly - a more varied diet.

Golden rice is a muiltimillion dollar wedge to gm the shit out of our global food chain - and the risks we already know about are massively outweighed by the emergent risks that occur whenever we deploy this tech.

We already have well-understood, cheap and safe solutions to these problems. So golden rice can get in a hole and die.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And btw - whilst not without it's mishaps and problems, if we'd listened to greenpeace decades ago we'd have had a massive increase in global food security, more equitable economic outcomes and we wouldn't have lost 70% of all animal life in the UK since 1970.

Not that humans really give a shit about that, but there you go...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Nope. We've spoken about this before. There are inherent risks in GM crops - including inevitable global cross-contamination of one of the worlds most important crops.

The real solutions are simple, cost effective and proven - vitamin A deficiency was a devestating problem in Bangladesh and we've largely solved it through the combination of cheap supplementation and, really importantly - a more varied diet.

Golden rice is a muiltimillion dollar wedge to gm the shit out of our global food chain - and the risks we already know about are massively outweighed by the emergent risks that occur whenever we deploy this tech.

We already have well-understood, cheap and safe solutions to these problems. So golden rice can get in a hole and die.
You do realise that different varieties of rice can already crossbreed but we’ve managed to maintain different varieties for thousands of years. It’s no different.

Your personal, anti-scientific ick-factor feelings on this matter aren’t relevant. Day Of the Triffids wasn’t real, even if it did make you hide behind the sofa :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

Sadly it will just be the Vitamin A deficient kids in SE Asia that will be getting into holes and dying - thanks to the Malthusian tossers at Greenpeace.

A pox on all their fair trade yurts.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sadly it will just be the Vitamin A deficient kids in SE Asia that will be getting into holes and dying
Only if we don't bother applying the proven, non-controversial, cheap solutions that we know already work eh?

I guess that'd be too easy.

Bodhi

Only if we don't bother applying the proven, non-controversial, cheap solutions that we know already work eh?

I guess that'd be too easy.

Excerpt from an article written by Mark Lynas, as I know you're too retarded to get round the paywall on The Spectator...

View: https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1783846712865436069?t=U_LDo9yyfTG5R566VivnQQ&s=19

Up to 100k child deaths just in case some company somewhere makes some money, ignoring decades of research that suggests the product itself is perfectly safe.

I'd struggle to sleep at night if my ideology was potentially consigning 100k kids to an early death - but hey! Smash capitalism comrade.

You utter cock.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
he product itself is perfectly safe.
I have no objections regarding the safety of the consumption of golden rice (or any GM plant I'm aware of) whatsoever.

But thanks. I didn't know they'd also managed to obtain a ban on BT Eggplant with it's pest resistence gene. That's fantastic news. Because elimination of that stops the runaway 'weaponisation' issues that I've spoken about at length previously.

Win :clap:

Bodhi

I have no objections regarding the safety of the consumption of golden rice (or any GM plant I'm aware of) whatsoever.

So why do you have a massive chubby for the evidence free decision of a Philippine court to ban it? If it safe, why not let the people eat the crop that's already been grown?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So why do you have a massive chubby for the evidence free decision of a Philippine court to ban it?
Because they didn't ban it on consumption safety fears.

The myriad other issues with GM are the problem for me. None of them "food safety". We've simply no need for GM crops. We can make more than enough food to feed a planetary population five times the size we have right now if we choose the system that nature provided to us - instead of one that fucks all sorts of things up.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So why was it banned then if it was perfectly safe and could save lots of lives?
Why not do the digging yourself. I've spoken about this at length previously and none of it sank in then, so I'm not motivated to do so again.

Suffice it to say - it's not the ban on the pest-resistant eggplant that's making the headlines is it? Why is that?

Bodhi

Why not do the digging yourself. I've spoken about this at length previously and none of it sank in then, so I'm not motivated to do so again.

Suffice it to say - it's not the ban on the pest-resistant eggplant that's making the headlines is it? Why is that?

Ah sorry for not picking it up from one of your usual angry rambling walls of text. Any chance you could summarise?

Is it because capitalism is bad by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom