SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Seems entirely sensible when a large proportion of your economy is built on tourists coming over from England who don't speak Welsh.

In fact even most of the Welsh don't speak Welsh, unless they're in the North and non-Welsh speakers turn up.

I don't think "sensible" even makes the top ten of their reasoning, which largely goes;

1. Hate the English
2-10. Hate the English.

One thing I will say though, getting the Welsh to speak Welsh is working, slowly. When I was growing up on Anglesey no-one really spoke Welsh as a first language, but lots of people in that part of the world do now, They've been massively more successful at the job than the Irish.

Agree.

But they do have a valid point on loss of language and culture. There's absolutely a valid point there.

The real question is what are reasonable measures to take to preserve that, or does "progress" (the way we understand it at the moment) mean the complete homogonisation of language and culture - because I think that's the track we're on tbh.

I find it incredibly hard to give a shit. My attitude towards language is first and foremost pragmatic; what languages are the best investments of one's limited time? And fiddly little languages that are useful for talking to 20 people with straw in their beards fail that test. I want my kids to learn Spanish and Mandarin, not Irish and Welsh, unless they develop some academic interest in obscure languages.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I find it incredibly hard to give a shit. My attitude towards language is first and foremost pragmatic; what languages are the best investments of one's limited time? And fiddly little languages that are useful for talking to 20 people with straw in their beards fail that test. I want my kids to learn Spanish and Mandarin, not Irish and Welsh, unless they develop some academic interest in obscure languages.
Have to say I have sympathy with that view too. However, kids are fucking sponges for languages - proven so. If you school them from a young age (like day1 school) in multiple languages they become fluent pretty quickly. Their capacity to be multilingual is astonishing. English and Welsh together in school should be a no brainer in Wales - with those languages on top tbh. And unless they're doing business in a foreign language (which the majority of them won't be) or destined to live abroad thene Welsh is more useful for the Welsh tbh - it's a useful living language and nice to hear/be around.

Aside from being multilingual having a huge effect on how people think (and that being a great thing) I simply prefer living in a country where you experience different languages. I think that has intangible benefits to tolerance across society.

People who aren't regularly exposed to cultural differences are the least tolerant arseholes on the planet.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Going into steam right now, clicking on the "golden week sale", scrolling down to "popular / recently released / discounted" -

clicking on "recently released"

:eek6::eek6::eek7:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
so you're getting yourself a VR headset then :LOL:
:)

Already got an Index. I just CBA plugging it in tbh. I'm halfway though Alex but the space I've got here means I have to move furniture around and recalibrate.

The game's amazing, but frankly not enough for me to fuck about with that shit. Maybe on a rainy day :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
I don't know why but people getting on a soap box is all fine and dandy but when they have trouble controlling their love spuds it tends to wipe the shine clean off, that's before you even get to things such as Nord Stream 2.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My next Steam purchase will be Subnautica Below Zero. Because I absolutely love the first game, it's wonderful. I've kept away from Below Zero because I want it to be finished when I play it.

Comes out in May IIRC.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Vulnerable teenage girl flags down police car, gets pepper sprayed in the face, cuffed, hit with a baton 30 times and when the other po-po turn up they tazer her.

is it any wonder black people don't cooperate with police? They must be terrified of potential consequences.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Vulnerable teenage girl flags down police car, gets pepper sprayed in the face, cuffed, hit with a baton 30 times and when the other po-po turn up they tazer her.

is it any wonder black people don't cooperate with police? They must be terrified of potential consequences.

I think it has something to do with 'the boys in blue' attitude; why didn't the other coppers step in and stop him?

I experience a similar thing at school; the other day a senior staff member was bollocking a kid for something they didn't do (because I saw what happened) so as he was bollocking the kid I stepped in and told him it wasn't him, he looked at me as if to suggest how dare I undermine him in front of the other students. It's not uncommon for other staff just to let it happen tbh.

Every profession has cunts in it, but why do some professions always have to present a permanent 'united front' policy? That's the problem imo.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
In school it's arguably even more important to step in and tell a teacher they've made a mistake. The students look how teachers interact and if one stops the other politely and corrects him that's a great example of how to act.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
So this happened

Hello,

Congratulations!

Your photo from the Dramatic Lighting challenge was selected to be printed and showcased at the ALMANAQUE fotográfica, Mexico City.

Attachments

• A84B236A-04A4-4578-BCB5-6DC1A8249A39.png
    A84B236A-04A4-4578-BCB5-6DC1A8249A39.png
    35.9 MB · Views: 15

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

I dunno if I buy that.

As I've said before, when you were a yout' and some dickhead wanted to be a dickhead towards you, it would be at school or they'd come to your house/find you when you're out.

Kids can now be bombarded 24/7 (and they are).

But obviously technology in itself isn't going to do anything bad, it's just the humans that use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom