SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Send people oout with rod and line or manual diving for scallops etc.
and accept that there isnt enough / good ways to get enough fish to feed everyone.

you bought up the part about it being in the sea. I was just saying we dont need more sachets anywhere. No specific place

but that will only be via government intervention on a global scale.

caplitalism will try and supply more and more as the price goes up with rarity.

we use more plastic on land than on the sea. each is a finite use of fossil fuels. So while decreasing plastic in the ocean is good. Its not just that which is a concern. And every little bit of use thats stopped like straws is good. Not just because of the small chanc eit will end up in the sea. But because it helps in carbon and landfill as well.

I'm pretty certain those wanky new straws McDonald's are using instead of plastic are a) not recyclable, when the old ones were b) undoubtedly take more resources to make in the first place.

Still we've got a big bag of Ikea plastic straws upstairs, I'm sensing a business opportunity. I'll sell em for 50p each to anyone in Maccies who's ordered a milkshake.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I'm pretty certain those wanky new straws McDonald's are using instead of plastic are a) not recyclable, when the old ones were b) undoubtedly take more resources to make in the first place.

Still we've got a big bag of Ikea plastic straws upstairs, I'm sensing a business opportunity. I'll sell em for 50p each to anyone in Maccies who's ordered a milkshake.
Again my post wasnt about straws. But fill your boots.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
North Sea cod.

Rod and line.

Some of those fuckers are over a metre long.
Line caught tuna. They are big also. Dont have to be a rod i guess a line with hooks and bait is better than trawling.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Yes, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't eat fish, it means we should change our methods and modernise.

In reality we should probably have a complete moratorium on fishing globally for half a century. Not just because of plastic, but mainly to restore ocean biomass as its a massive carbon sink. Won't happen of course.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I think talking about the plastic problem on earth and limiting it just to 'land plastic' is a very weird thing to do.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I don't disagree, one of the biggest sources of microplastics in humans is from seafood.

That still doesn't mean we have to stop eating fish.

Gwadien

I don't disagree, one of the biggest sources of microplastics in humans is from seafood.

That still doesn't mean we have to stop eating fish.

Cut down on it?

This is my problem with the climate change/pollution etc etc arguments.

There's two extremes which everyone has seemed to back; either you have to be a vegan or you pat massive corporations on the back for doing stuff like changing their straws and as @Bodhi said, someone making a quick buck.

I think it's pretty obvious that we should cut down on fish and improve global food networks so we don't have communities reliant on fish, although they should prioritise those people over us who have a choice.

Fish farms are an option, but at the minute they're worse than bottom trawling, you're better off pouring nuclear waste into the sea.

I'm sure there's a solution, it's just putting enough money into finding one.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
We dont need fish. Its a risky occupation to collect the suckers. i could quite happily live without food from the sea. I would happily agree to the rest of the century being a no fish zone while humanity works out a way to do it really sustainably On a global scale.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
You can't have cod and chips without fish, so no to fish ban.

Gwadien

I think something that would help in particular is having huge protected areas; we have 'protected areas' which most, if not all, allow trawling.

luls.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fish farms are an option
Tell that to my cousin who, once again, is in hiding from eastern european criminals for pointing out to the EU that it takes 4 lbs of fish to make 1 lb of fish.

Yep. Eastern european crime syndicates catch fish (probably using the slave labour we mentioned), turn it into fish food, then it gets fed to fish farm fish at the aforementioned ratio, before the severely reduced biomass is sold at inflated prices to gullible western consumers.

That's aside from fish farms laying chemical (and parasitic) waste to the areas around them and having long-term negative genetic consequences on wild fish populations.

But yeah. Industrial fish farms. Sounds like a great idea. Because we understand ecologies so well.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think something that would help in particular is having huge protected areas; we have 'protected areas' which most, if not all, allow trawling.
Cardigan Bay protected marine reserve is raped to death by bottom dredging trawlers.

There's no fish left in the fucking sea. I used to be able to (reliably) pull 45-50 fish a night out of the sea from the shore when I was 7 years old to sell around the campsite.

I'm lucky if I get a bite nowadays, never mind land something.

Well. At least it gives Norwegians an excuse to go on seal-clubbing holidays*.

*yes, an actual real thing.

Gwadien

Tell that to my cousin who, once again, is in hiding from eastern european criminals for pointing out to the EU that it takes 4 lbs of fish to make 1 lb of fish.

Yep. Eastern european crime syndicates catch fish (probably using the slave labour we mentioned), turn it into fish food, then it gets fed to fish farm fish at the aforementioned ratio, before the severely reduced biomass is sold at inflated prices to gullible western consumers.

That's aside from fish farms laying chemical (and parasitic) waste to the areas around them and having long-term negative genetic consequences on wild fish populations.

But yeah. Industrial fish farms. Sounds like a great idea. Because we understand ecologies so well.

Aye, that's *all* in that documentary - I think the most shocking aspect of it (Apart from the 4:1 ratio obviously) is the waste from dead fish due to disease - it's nuts!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nightclubs for seals and Norwegians?
You would hope so. But unfortunately not.

I think they put paid to it (after a decade or so of bad press) but I'd actually taken the piss out of a mate who, when surprised by a seal whilst swimming, punched it*.

I cc'd everyone he worked with in on a mail to book said seal-clubbing holiday to see if we were all up for it - as it was clear that was the sort of thing that floated his boat ;)

*out of fear, the giant city-dwelling cockney wuss.

Gwadien

It's a narrative game (bit like TWD id imagine) made with stop animation in someone's lounge.

I thought what they've shown so far is pretty clever!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's a narrative game (bit like TWD id imagine) made with stop animation in someone's lounge.

I thought what they've shown so far is pretty clever!
Nope still dont get the reference to having done a scouse

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom