SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

dysfunction

FH is my second home

You can even search by address to see who lived in your house.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I am removing this shitty old bathroom false ceiling, removing the shitty old original ceiling behind it, properly insulating it, putting a new ceiling up, new lighting, etc. Might add an extractor fan if I can be arsed. Once I've done that I'm going to strip the plaster from two walls, put insulated tile backer board up, and tile them. Gonna take a while.

Gotta love how a previous owner just hid the damage to that corner...

IMG_9398.jpg
IMG_9400.jpg
IMG_9403.jpg

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I remember wandering into the Buffy chat room on yahoo back in 2003. Met the best friend I've ever had!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I am removing this shitty old bathroom false ceiling, removing the shitty old original ceiling behind it, properly insulating it, putting a new ceiling up, new lighting, etc. Might add an extractor fan if I can be arsed. Once I've done that I'm going to strip the plaster from two walls, put insulated tile backer board up, and tile them. Gonna take a while.

Gotta love how a previous owner just hid the damage to that corner...

View attachment 45554
View attachment 45556
View attachment 45555
You got a recommended youtube channel for that? I need to replace my ceilings upstairs. Although, what will likely happen is I'll pay a builder to do it in 1/10th of the time and five times the quality.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Is it just me or does this front door look like its in a weird position? - Way too far off the ground.

It looks worse than it is. It's something we noticed too - All the houses here are this sort of style.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You got a recommended youtube channel for that? I need to replace my ceilings upstairs. Although, what will likely happen is I'll pay a builder to do it in 1/10th of the time and five times the quality.

Not sure if he's done a ceiling video, but in your situation you may want to watch some of his other stuff:

Specifically for @Tom for extractor fans (apart from that I really used to adore JCBs) :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvSE9aAmeGk

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Always get an extractor in a bathroom, moisture is a huge anti-insulator. Ours comes on with the light. It's positioned above the shower, into the loft cavity and out the side of the house. They are easy to fit but get an electrician to check your workings, or pay one to fit it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

You can even search by address to see who lived in your house.

My 400 year old house didn't have a house number, nor a street name in 1921! The village only had one road and was simply called <village name> street. Impossible to find my house exactly. I found my great-great grandfather on there though, he lived on the street but not our family houses at the time, he bought them near the outbreak of WW2 and listed his address as <village name> Nr Northampton. Lazy fuckers.

However, my sister has boxes and boxes of archives showing my family owned most of the village at one point or another, they were builders and carpenters. Funnily enough, when I was renovating my kitchen window I found he had written his name into the wood, so I signed it too and painted over it again.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Do they have quick-release hands so they can get to their gun quickly or something?

Whilst all military hardware is undoubtedly cool (especially anything involving jets) every single time I see it I feel sad that we spend so much time and money on it as a species :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You'd definitely have a go though eh? Looks like a right giggle.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

OK, so this kind of annoys me a little bit. Whatever the current view of the world, Colston and co built Bristol, we shouldn't be attempting to delete him from history, you won't find many pre-war buildings or institutions or even modern cities without historical murk of one form or another. "Cancelling" it won't change anything, and it has little bearing on modern opinion. Instead, we should be using such things as a reminder of our cuntish past but also appreciating how it has benefited us.

If you are going to throw his statue in the river then I am afraid you are going to have to follow up with all the institutions and buildings too, and start from scratch.

You could take it a step further too and just wipe all history off the face of the planet and make it fit the modern narrative, people in the past were cunts, people now are cunts, but it is what makes us what we are today, one way or another.

Last edited:

Wij

I am a FH squatter

OK, so this kind of annoys me a little bit. Whatever the current view of the world, Colston and co built Bristol, we shouldn't be attempting to delete him from history, you won't find many pre-war buildings or institutions or even modern cities without historical murk of one form or another. "Cancelling" it won't change anything, and it has little bearing on modern opinion. Instead, we should be using such things as a reminder of our cuntish past but also appreciating how it has benefited us.

If you are going to throw his statue in the river then I am afraid you are going to have to follow up with all the institutions and buildings too, and start from scratch.

You could take it a step further too and just wipe all history off the face of the planet and make it fit the modern narrative, people in the past were cunts, people now are cunts, but it is what makes us what we are today, one way or another.
I dunno. You could use that logic to say statues of Saddam shouldn’t have been toppled and such. Fuck statues.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Meh, Saddam didn't help build an empire and change the world, that even if you are anti-establishment, benefited you hugely, he was just a despot that died and offered little to history.

Edit, and it's not even glorifying our past, we can't change where we came from but some things should remain as a reminder of why we have what we have now.

This is Colston, he is the reason why this city is here, yes he was an absolute cunt, this is what you owe your past to. Now he will be forgotten, along with history, forgetting history creates nightmare futures.

Last edited:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
You could still apply that to statues of any old cunt who held some power.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Meh, Saddam didn't help build an empire and change the world, that even if you are anti-establishment, benefited you hugely, he was just a despot that died and offered little to history.

Edit, and it's not even glorifying our past, we can't change where we came from but some things should remain as a reminder of why we have what we have now.

This is Colston, he is the reason why this city is here, yes he was an absolute cunt, this is what you owe your past to. Now he will be forgotten, along with history, forgetting history creates nightmare futures.

Wasn't the Colston statue put up by the Victorians as a bit of post-slavery whitewashing? As such they're no better than all those Jim Crow post-Confederacy statues.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Quite possibly, but we put up monuments to all sorts of dickheads, even now, getting rid of them doesn't change what happened, it just hides it, which is the last thing we want to do.

Edit, It's not just this guy himself, it's the time he represented, we can't get away from the fact that, like it or not, they built the modern western world, for all its faults and benefits.

Last edited:

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Tedious edit timer: It could be argued that if it wasn't for an imperialistic bellend, we would all be Nazis.

And...no, we wouldn't all be modern "enlightened" folk if we lost the war, we would all be cunts, because nurture > nature on lots of things.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I just don’t buy it that statues teach history. History books do.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
History books can be changed, monuments can't (well they can, but, you know)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I don't see how removing statues removes history, it's not like that's their purpose.

The purpose of a statue is to literally put someone on a pedestal for the deeds that they have done.

In this case, it clearly doesn't reflect what Britain stands for today.

I think they should send a form of all the statues in the UK around with the census so we can vote on which statues we can democratically take down.

Bristol is somewhat of a leftie place anyway, which is supported by the fact the jury didn't do anything to the people that tore the statue down, the ridiculous thing is trying to find someone to punish them over something that is trivial, because the Tories MUST defend because it's a key part of their identity. Let the people that live in the same places as the statues make the decisions, I bet the vast majority of people who are all 'protect the statues at all costs!' didn't even know it was there.

Put it in a museum with a sign saying 'This guy did good for the country, but today society generally feels like what he did was a bit naughty'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom