SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
"today"

Our opinions today do not make us what we are or what has brought us to where we are.

No, don't hide it away in a museum (or the bottom of a canal) leave it where it is, as a reminder of the sacrifice, asked for or not, of our ancestors.

You certainly can't just display what current society are comfortable with, that would be a complete fuck up.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My 400 year old house didn't have a house number, nor a street name in 1921! The village only had one road and was simply called <village name> street. Impossible to find my house exactly. I found my great-great grandfather on there though, he lived on the street but not our family houses at the time, he bought them near the outbreak of WW2 and listed his address as <village name> Nr Northampton. Lazy fuckers.

However, my sister has boxes and boxes of archives showing my family owned most of the village at one point or another, they were builders and carpenters. Funnily enough, when I was renovating my kitchen window I found he had written his name into the wood, so I signed it too and painted over it again.

Try searching local tithe maps. Some are online, like Cheshire's.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You got a recommended youtube channel for that? I need to replace my ceilings upstairs. Although, what will likely happen is I'll pay a builder to do it in 1/10th of the time and five times the quality.

Nah, it isn't really that difficult and I've done it twice before. It's just extremely messy and laborious. But it will be nice finally being able to look at it and know that it isn't a bodge. This is as far as I got today, I'll remove the rest this weekend. Although I may pause for thought because now I'm wondering if I can put a vaulted ceiling in instead.

IMG_9405.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
"today"

Our opinions today do not make us what we are or what has brought us to where we are.

No, don't hide it away in a museum (or the bottom of a canal) leave it where it is, as a reminder of the sacrifice, asked for or not, of our ancestors.

You certainly can't just display what current society are comfortable with, that would be a complete fuck up.

Maybe we should have left the statue where it was, but erected a new statue next to it. A big metal arrow, with text underneath it that read "this guy was a racist enslaving cunt".

Or maybe we can just stop celebrating people like that and build a society that everyone feels welcome in. One where we don't celebrate wealthy individuals who were directly responsible for crimes against humanity.

I don't recall anyone complaining when Jimmy Savile's gravestone and the monument in Glasgow were removed.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Maybe we should have left the statue where it was, but erected a new statue next to it. A big metal arrow, with text underneath it that read "this guy was a racist enslaving cunt".

Or maybe we can just stop celebrating people like that and build a society that everyone feels welcome in. One where we don't celebrate wealthy individuals who were directly responsible for crimes against humanity.

I don't recall anyone complaining when Jimmy Savile's gravestone and the monument in Glasgow were removed.
Sure, by today’s standards Savile was a monster but in the 70s he MADE Saturday night TV and copping a feel off kids was just accepted as a fact of life when done by powerful people. Leave Sir Jim’ll alone :eek:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Try searching local tithe maps. Some are online, like Cheshire's.

I have maps dating back to 1700and something (house was built in 1614) everything is plot/field numbers.

In fact, after all this, we have pretty much identified that we are missing at least 3 dwellings on our land...I live in a bit of a weird set up where I share a garden with my mum, it's far from massive, converted cottages.

Basically my entire family moved to the village as staff when they built the (now long since knocked down) manor house as gardeners and housekeepers, they married into local builders that built most of the village. I would love to know where the money went because it certainly didn't trickle down.

Eiter way, it has driven myself and my (current Covid) sister into doing some more research.

My grandad traced our family tree back to Catesby (my ancestor) on his side, but we know very little about our grandmothers line.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Sure, by today’s standards Savile was a monster but in the 70s he MADE Saturday night TV and copping a feel off kids was just accepted as a fact of life when done by powerful people. Leave Sir Jim’ll alone :eek:

Missing the point entirely.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
"today"

I think you're trying to make it into a leftie snowflake issue about 'being comfortable' with it.

Your argument is that removing it somehow removes history, when that isn't the case if you put it in a museum, like all the other things that you don't publicly display for various reasons, Nazi stuff, for one.

Statues being torn down is a repeated feature in history, people don't want things put in a pedestal that no longer reflect what their society stands for.

Something that hasn't been mentioned is the 'tearing down of history' because I'm sure the last people that would want people to forget about the trans-Atlantic slave trade are people with African heritage.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
"leftie snowflake" bollocks is a modern construct, people had more important things to worry about in the past, and really, ought to today. Who knows why you keep bringing up political leanings, in absolutely everything.

Interesting that you should bring up "people of African heritage" (lol) when it was 4 white folk that threw it in the canal.

I didn't say that it removes history, I said that it hides it. Please go back to your degree, where you supposedly learned context and meaning, and dare I say it, reading ability.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
"leftie snowflake" bollocks is a modern construct, people had more important things to worry about in the past, and really, ought to today. Who knows why you keep bringing up political leanings, in absolutely everything.

Interesting that you should bring up "people of African heritage" (lol) when it was 4 white folk that threw it in the canal.

I didn't say that it removes history, I said that it hides it. Please go back to your degree, where you supposedly learned context and meaning, and dare I say it, reading ability.

The erection of Coulson's statue in the first place was a political act; his statue was put up to celebrate his philanthropy whilst ignoring how he got his money to be a philanthropist in the first place. It was all part of Bristol's 19th century rebranding as "not the home of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade".

To be honest, most statues that aren't art installations are usually commissioned for political reasons.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You can't correct all of history because nobody will ever agree on a single version of history. If people got all bothered by this statue then get shot of it, the world has enough bad feeling in it as it is.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The erection of Coulson's statue in the first place was a political act; his statue was put up to celebrate his philanthropy whilst ignoring how he got his money to be a philanthropist in the first place. It was all part of Bristol's 19th century rebranding as "not the home of the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade".

To be honest, most statues that aren't art installations are usually commissioned for political reasons.

Besides the point. That doesn't take away from the fact that he (and hundreds of others) built modern cities like Bristol, Cambridge, Oxford, London and so on, all from our murky past. We can't change that, regardless of how emotional idiots get, throwing it in a canal won't change the past, nothing will. The absolute vast majority of our country was built on the backs of others, that's how empire works.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Besides the point. That doesn't take away from the fact that he (and hundreds of others) built modern cities like Bristol, Cambridge, Oxford, London and so on, all from our murky past. We can't change that, regardless of how emotional idiots get, throwing it in a canal won't change the past, nothing will. The absolute vast majority of our country was built on the backs of others, that's how empire works.

Who says anything about ignoring it, but should they be celebrated for building cities on the backs of others? That, to me at least, is what a statue says, stick it in a museum if thats what local peeps want, let them have a say in it. If they dont want it on display why should it be?

Syri

FH is my second home
It's not about changing the past. It's about not revering someone who did some terrible things, even if they also did some good things. Having a statue in a public square or similar location is putting that person in a place of reverence. Writing about their deeds is recording history. Removing a statue does not change history, those books still say the same thing. If anything, this has enlightened more people about that period of history, as most people probably wouldn't even have known who he was a few years ago.
Putting the statue in a museum would be the best move, where they could then have a record of what he did to get a statue built, and also record why people chose to tear that statue down. That would be recording history, not removing it or denying it.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
People don't research history though, people are generally thick. Leave them up, with information as to what exactly they did, so parents can teach their children about them, amongst what they built.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
baby due in 9 days and really struggling to get my head around how much of a life changing moment this is

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom