SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think you just need to see social media to see that we are already at the point where people have melt downs over differing opinions :)

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Wowzers.

So they're removing the bit of education where kids learn to interact with people who are dicks.

Now they'll meet adult dicks and have total meltdowns. Like kids who've been completely protected from physical risk get to 18, jump off cliffs into the sea and don't bother to check if there's enough water...

Edit: Do you remember Brave New World? The little jars with the embryos in with "just the right" chemical mix to make compliant drones...

Unfortunately this isn't a massive shock to me.

I'm finding secondary education becoming more draconian as time goes on.

I was talking to some of the staff at school about this, and they're all aware of it too; kids are regimented like they're in the army, they're expected to walk around the corridors in silence and staff have become the Stasi where we have to report anything remotely negative that you overhear kids saying, even if they're just joking with each other, the school in the article has appeared to eliminate any unapproved communication amongst kids.

I think the story about kids putting stories sexual allegations online has lots do with this; I have a better relationship with students than the vast majority of staff, because I allow them to have banter (obviously within reason) but other teachers completely shut it down and discourage any form of off-topic conversation as per the policy of most schools. The problem is that as a result I get lots of safeguarding issues crop up purely because kids aren't afraid to talk to me, but I can't say that's the same for other members of staff.

What are the kids at this particular school going to do when they get a job? Find someone to tell them what to do over their breaks? What happens if someone tries to engage them in banter? They gonna go tell their manager straight away?

I mean, everyone complains about the current generation coming through the workplace and how they're snowflakes etc, but you haven't seen shit yet.

Oh, and I'd like to add that this has nothing to do with neo-Liberalism, it just appears that schools (as directed by the Government) appear not to care much about how the real world works, it's about having good exam results and having kids as compliant robots is the best way to achieve this, not really caring about preparing them for their futures.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
This is one LED screen and isn't a concept, its going into production in a few weeks. Feels like the set of the last round of Star Trek movies is already out of date.

View attachment 44024

Looks good. However from a usability perspective, it should be killed with fire many many times. Touchscreens in cars suck balls, and are borderline dangerous - as you cannot use them without taking your eyes off the road.

Not as bad as Tesla putting the fucking windscreen wipers on there, but still, they go down as a classic example of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I think you just need to see social media to see that we are already at the point where people have melt downs over differing opinions :)

You only need to look at Freddyshouse - where grown people call for the banning of people (Job) because they're racist fucks.

People don't like to hear stuff they don't like - and rather than learn to live with these people they just exclude them. This works in real life in cities really well - you can pick and choose who you want to be friends with based on similar interests and outlooks. People who rub you up the wrong way just don't stay in your circle - as there's plenty of other people to choose from. So, whilst only normal, it does create echo chambers.

A more rural life has been a bit of an eye opener (even with the tiny amount of interaction I've had here) - there's definitely more of a propensity to acknowledge people's weirdness and live with a wider range of acceptable wierdness-es. Because people have to.

Kids nowadays? Censorship of "prohibited" talk. Imagine the almighty physical ruckus the first time a drunken group of them hears someone call someone a nigger.

They just won't be emotionally prepared for it - and they'll react in proportion to how that makes them feel.

"Stopping bullying in a school" won't prepare british kids for adult life in britain - never mind an adult life where they mix with people from other cultures. Those kids will get bummed hard in some social interactions IMO.

Gwadien

Looks good. However from a usability perspective, it should be killed with fire many many times. Touchscreens in cars suck balls, and are borderline dangerous - as you cannot use them without taking your eyes off the road.

Not as bad as Tesla putting the fucking windscreen wipers on there, but still, they go down as a classic example of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I forget where I saw it (might be Australia or somewhere in the US) but it's illegal to use touchscreen panels in cars for the reasons you have said. Which makes sense, as my phone is way smaller than most car panels.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Unfortunately this isn't a massive shock to me.

I'm finding secondary education becoming more draconian as time goes on.

I was talking to some of the staff at school about this, and they're all aware of it too; kids are regimented like they're in the army, they're expected to walk around the corridors in silence and staff have become the Stasi where we have to report anything remotely negative that you overhear kids saying, even if they're just joking with each other, the school in the article has appeared to eliminate any unapproved communication amongst kids.
What you are describing is full blown facism.

This is why you should be able to say whatever the hell you like - and have that position protected by law.

Saying and doing are two different things, ofc. But the above is the obvious and natural consequence of outlawing speech. And it's hellishly worse in a school setting because kids learn in part by doing the things they're not supposed to do.

BTW - in a rich kids posh private school this won't be the case @Gwadien. They want to stimulate independence of thought and you can't do that through conformity to a norm. In fact only through the opposite. This will be the default for the plebs - and we want robots for employers who act within a given set of social parameters.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
My sister has a current merc and that's horrible inside too.

Gwadien

What you are describing is full blown facism.

This is why you should be able to say whatever the hell you like - and have that position protected by law.

Saying and doing are two different things, ofc. But the above is the obvious and natural consequence of outlawing speech. And it's hellishly worse in a school setting because kids learn in part by doing the things they're not supposed to do.

BTW - in a rich kids posh private school this won't be the case @Gwadien. They want to stimulate independence of thought and you can't do that through conformity to a norm. In fact only through the opposite. This will be the default for the plebs - and we want robots for employers who act within a given set of social parameters.

But again, the reality of schools is that you can't have unfettered freedom of speech.

What happened if you called your teacher a cunt at school? Yeah, pretty bad eh? That's never really changed and it really shouldn't.

The problem ultimately is that kids go to school now to be educated rather than to learn (which is interesting because there's a drive for kids to 'learn' instead of being 'educated' but I think they got their definitions wrong)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
But again, the reality of schools is that you can't have unfettered freedom of speech.

What happened if you called your teacher a cunt at school? Yeah, pretty bad eh? That's never really changed and it really shouldn't.
You manage disruptive pupils, of course.

However, the range of prohibited speech in the adult world (and the encroaching restrictions of what is acceptable behaviour) has an additive restrictive generational effect IMO. What you got away with in the 80's was different to the 90's to the 2000's and .... yadda yadda. All with reasonable sensible intentions behind them.

But the path to hell is paved with good intentions. And I don't think half the people can see the flames because whole swathes of society are canaries in cages. (In fact, I'd argue we all are. Winston Churchill lamented the loss of using horses to get around with the invention of the motorcar - obvious advantages to using cars, of course, but getting drunk at the pub, getting taken home (unconscious) by your animal, that you had a relationship* with? What a thing to lose!)

*not that kind :eek:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Kids also need to learn boundaries though.
Of course.

You don't teach boundaries by not allowing them the freedom to break them and understand the consequences of it - at a very deep and meaningful level.

Walking them around in regimented silence might look good to the adults but they ain't learning shit. Organised chaos is the goal*, not regimentation.

*presuming the goal is a free thinking population, rather than drones.

Gwadien

Kids also need to learn boundaries though.

Absolutely they need to learn them.

But that's it, they need to learn them, not be told what the unrealistic and silly boundary is.

Kids who haven't been brought up with boundaries need to find what their boundaries are, if the boundaries are set at something too high they will just rebel against it.

A few years back I had a year 7 kid who called another kid a Paki, my initial response was to fly off the handle then I stopped and realised that she thought she had done nothing wrong and she didn't say it in a derogative way. Putting her in isolation for a few days as a punishment combined with an expectation of her understanding why what she said was wrong wouldn't achieve anything.

Gwadien

And on the subject of statues

seems a bit pointless

Maybe but if that's your argument then surely all the other statues are even more pointless as most have less relevance to most people than Greta?

And before you say she's not relevant please see the quote.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
But those people aren't often talking about how we shouldn't be so wasteful :) A 25k statue is a bit much, that could be much better spent on some sort of project, that would be a better suited to celebrate her (who I actually have quite a lot of time for)

Topical, how about a massive heat pump for the Uni instead? Could have called it Greta.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Maybe but if that's your argument then surely all the other statues are even more pointless as most have less relevance to most people than Greta?

And before you say she's not relevant please see the quote.
Most statues are posthumous. To celebrate a life.

not five minutes in the spot light. Fame is celebrated no in its temporary state, rather than those who have proven an impact over time.

she still could grow upto love a bbq

not commenting on the relevance. That was your projection.

just the laughable use of finite materials to celebrate a person who has been in the news a couple years on and off.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Maybe @Moriath.

But better a kid trying to do good than yet another fucking warmonger or slaver, no? :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

They got in through an employee's LastPass account, which had all sorts of highly important passwords in and wasn't 2FA-protected.

...the attacker(s) had access to privileged credentials that were previously stored in the LastPass account of a Ubiquiti IT employee, and gained root administrator access to all Ubiquiti AWS accounts, including all S3 data buckets, all application logs, all databases, all user database credentials, and secrets required to forge single sign-on (SSO) cookies.

Bodhi

Most statues are posthumous. To celebrate a life.

not five minutes in the spot light. Fame is celebrated no in its temporary state, rather than those who have proven an impact over time.

she still could grow upto love a bbq

not commenting on the relevance. That was your projection.

just the laughable use of finite materials to celebrate a person who has been in the news a couple years on and off.

Always interesting when they put a high school drop out up as a statue at a place of learning, but hey it's 2021 - things don't have to make sense any more.

Gwadien

Always interesting when they put a high school drop out up as a statue at a place of learning, but hey it's 2021 - things don't have to make sense any more.

There's a statue of a boar at my school, I'm fairly sure he didn't go to school.

Bodhi

There's a statue of a boar at my school, I'm fairly sure he didn't go to school.

Which given that people are forced to go to school, yet University is a voluntary thing for those who want to carry on learning is a bit different imo.

Although a quick look at the Uni of Winchester's website and it all makes complete sense. It's barely even a real university :/

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
2od1wicatdq61.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom