Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I am thinking on this year's census I will be religion-fluid

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I am thinking on this year's census I will be religion-fluid

Needs to have the categories corrected to:

Christian (yes really)
Christian (weddings and funerals but let's not kid ourselves)
No religion (you don't have to feel guilty about it)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Hope Phillip holds on long enough so we are at least allowed outside on the day Off

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Needs to have the categories corrected to:

Christian (yes really)
Christian (weddings and funerals but let's not kid ourselves)
No religion (you don't have to feel guilty about it)
They should add 'QAnon' and 'I watch David Icke videos on Youtube'.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Prince Philip on cultural differences:

“If you stay here much longer, you will go home with slitty eyes,” he remarked to 21-year-old British student Simon Kerby during a visit to China in 1986.

“I would like to go to Russia very much – although the bastards murdered half my family,” he said in 1967 when asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union.

“You can’t have been here that long, you haven’t got a pot belly,” said to a British tourist in Budapest , Hungary in 1993.

“You managed not to get eaten then?“ he asked a British backpacker who trekked through Papua New Guinea in 1998.

“We don’t come here for our health. We can think of other ways of enjoying ourselves,” he said about a trip to Canada in 1976.

“Aren’t most of you descended from pirates?” he asked residents of the Cayman Islands in 1994.

“Do you still throw spears at each other?” he asked Aboriginal leader William Brin at the Aboriginal Cultural Park in Queensland in 2002.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
20:56: Mr. Beepers: I want crab
20:56: Mr. Beepers: Or lobster
20:57: KatiesDad: Go see my ex wife. She'll give you crabs

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Anyone see the SpaceX rocket yesterday?

So bloody impressive, just a shame it blew up!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yes it is very impressive engineering
Will be when it doesn't explode.

But Space Tourism. That's a *fuckton* of carbon just to stroke the balls of the rich. It's not carbon spent on science or progressing humankind's knowledge.

It's glitter for billionaires and should be out of the question. The only thing I hope is that if the super-rich get to see how fragile our planet is, then maybe they'll all collectively commit suicide to take their over-consumptive lifestyles out of the equation, leaving all their money to environmental programmes.

Gwadien

We live on a capitalist planet, how are you going to have any kind of space exploration without making it profitable?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We live on a capitalist planet, how are you going to have any kind of space exploration without making it profitable?
NASA did well taking humans to the moon and building a space station before they had their public budget cut and were forced to hand over all their IP.

Ideology is all it is @Gwadien. It's a choice.

All of it is a choice - the rules we run capitalism under, how we govern. It's a choice, so I refuse to fall for the bullshit that we have to suck billionaire's dicks if we are to send humans into space, save the species and save the planet.

We are currently collectively choosing to fuck the paradise we inherited. It will mean the end of our civilisation, and if we manage to break the equilibrium then it's absolutely possible we'll end all life on earth.

Space Tourism for the super rich is just a symptom of our poor choice and behaviour.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Bit taken aback right now. Just found out a guy who lived round the corner when i were a kid and used to knock up to kick a ball around has died.
same age as me. He had bad diabetes and all.
just hits home i guess.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
NASA did well taking humans to the moon and building a space station before they had their public budget cut and were forced to hand over all their IP.

All of it is a choice - the rules we run capitalism under, how we govern. It's a choice, so I refuse to fall for the bullshit that we have to suck billionaire's dicks if we are to send humans into space, save the species and save the planet.

We are currently collectively choosing to fuck the paradise we inherited. It will mean the end of our civilisation, and if we manage to break the equilibrium then it's absolutely possible we'll end all life on earth.

Space Tourism for the super rich is just a symptom of our poor choice and behaviour.

The cost involved in putting man on Mars (for example) is astronomical, if there are no Commerical benefits in doing so then chances are, it won't get funded. The money has to come from somewhere. If a bunch of dopes want to throw hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars at a flight around the moon, cool, that's a stack more research projects paid for. And actually, it is largely private enterprise that is developing reusable rocketry and more sustainable practise in general, along with driving ambition and tech.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
A rocket ship is like making love to a beautiful woman. Get inside her twice a day and take her to heaven and back.

swiss-toni.jpg

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

NASA, and other national space agences around the world, managed an average cost per kilo to orbit of $18,000; this figure was pretty consistent for decades (Space Shuttle on the high end, Soyuz on the low end leading to the $18K average). Space X brought that down to $2,700 per kilo.

Whether you like it or not, an 85% drop in costs between public sector and commercial space operations shows there's a really fundamental problem with the state agencies. Now, you can definitely argue that the public agencies did a lot of the heavy lifting (pardon the pun) for the commercial guys to learn from, and Space X or Blue Origin would (probably) never spend money on pure research, but it doesn't matter if they can give back NASA a chunk of change to stretch its research budgets further.

Space X absolutely should not be dismissed as "space tourism for the super rich". No matter what you think of Elon (and clearly his default personality is "massive bellend"), that's not what he's doing here.

There should certainly be strong regulation around the things private operators are allowed to do in space, but the principle of commercial space operations is not intrinsically bad at all, and space-based industries and power generation could be the saving of us, not the agents of our doom.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Whether you like it or not, an 85% drop in costs between public sector and commercial space operations shows there's a really fundamental problem with the state agencies. Now, you can definitely argue that the public agencies did a lot of the heavy lifting (pardon the pun) for the commercial guys to learn from, and Space X or Blue Origin would (probably) never spend money on pure research, but it doesn't matter if they can give back NASA a chunk of change to stretch its research budgets further.
Yeah, I don't object in principle and the $/kg is good (but I do make the argument that he didn't have to invent the tech - just modify it).

But I still want to see much more regulation on access to space and what we use it for.

His programme has allowed him to scar the night sky for all of us - a view that life has had since before we evolved.

If he manages to bring it down to $0.02/kg then great. But we should still be using it for the good of humanity - not opening up space to corporate shittery and tourism - because everything we do there comes with a cost.

Sometimes they're worth paying. Sometimes definitely not.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
An argument can be made that space tourism will be the genesis for a lot of positive things. Lets face it, unless something very odd happens capitalism isn't going anywhere. Scientists have identified an asteroid that could potentially be worth in excess of £10 trillion.

Getting there and mining it is going to require massive advances in propulsion, energy production, life support and the way Carbon Dioxide and other waste gases are dealt with. They're just the examples I can think of right now. £10T is a lot of money and that won't be the only asteroid out there so it'll be financially viable for companies to sink billions into researching these technologies. This in turn will have a beneficial knock-on effect for our planet as we move away from using fossil fuels and the devestating ecological impact of mining things like Platinum on Earth.

I genuinly think that as @DaGaffer said, a commercial space race would be the saviour of the only planet we've got.

Gwadien

Besides, once we have a space elevator we'll be launching ships from space anyway, you can't pollute space :O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom