SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Yes the slow creep towards proving youre not comitting a crime.

It actually started with SORN on your vehicle.

Job

Not a problem, I just think its very concerning having to tell them Im not breaking the law, and outside of your tired joke, you know thats true.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Here's one for you.

5 people each have a standard deck of 52 cards. They each shuffle their pack randomly. Each person draws one card, places it face down, and after everyone has a card, they all turn them over.

What is the probability that everyone has the same card?

(eg 5 x 6 of clubs; 5x jack of spades, etc)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Here's one for you.

5 people each have a standard deck of 52 cards. They each shuffle their pack randomly. Each person draws one card, places it face down, and after everyone has a card, they all turn them over.

One in 380,204,032?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Why is that Wij? I got the same as Scouse, 52^5 is that wrong?
Without putting too much thought into it, I'd say 52 ^ <number of packs> as well. If there were only 2 packs there wouldn't be 52 possibilities, there'd be 52^2.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Maybe the first guy doesnt have to match with anyone so his draw could be any card? Its the only reason i could think of to not x the last 52
Yeah, that's it isn't it. The first guy picks any card, so the second guy has a 1 in 52 chance to match it. The third guy 1 in 52^2, and so the 5th 1 in 52^4.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I got what @Wij had. It was a question on QI (series M).

(1/52)^4

but according to the "QI elves" the odds are one in 2 billion. Eh?

I'll ask my sister. She has a degree in mathematics.

Job

Here's one for you.

Thats where probability blows my skull.
If its 1/52 say to get the 5 clubs..then the next day I say whats the prob of the 5 of clubs, its the same 1/52.
But I got a 5 clubs yesterday...doesnt matter
But if I turned two seperate packs at the same time it wouldnt be 1/52 for them both being 5 clubs.
That would be joint probability
How small a time gap can you leave..how does this work?

What's the Difference Between Probability and Cumulative Probability?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Why is that Wij? I got the same as Scouse, 52^5 is that wrong?

Because while 52^5 is the odds of one particular identical combination (say all Ace of Spades), since there are 52 possible combinations where all cards match the odds are then 52^5 / 52 = 52^4.

I'm almost certain the QI Elves are wrong about this one unless there was some other detail in the original question that changes the described scenario.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Because while 52^5 is the odds of one particular identical combination (say all Ace of Spades), since there are 52 possible combinations where all cards match the odds are then 52^5 / 52 = 52^4.
I don't follow that. Pls explain.

If one card combo is 52^5 the existence of other combos is independent and the chances of one of those other combos is the same, independent, probability. No?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Because if you have 2 packs of cards and you pick one card from the first pack, there's a 1 in 52 chance that you pick the same card from the second pack, so it's 52 ^ <number of packs - 1>.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Because if you have 2 packs of cards and you pick one card from the first pack, there's a 1 in 52 chance that you pick the same card from the second pack, so it's 52 ^ <number of packs - 1>.
That's unrelated to @Zarjazz' explanation which is about cards, not packs?

Anyway, because the draws are unrelated to each other the probability should be calculated multiplicatively like this:

1/52 x 1/52 - for 5 packs.

The draw of a card from any pack has no effect on any subsequent draws.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's been a while since I had to look up basic rules of probability. But here goes.

The pertinent bit:
If A and B are independent events, the probability of this event happening can be calculated as shown below:

015b1db6-79a1-4950-bd46-fcdd990c403a.gif

So, multiply the probabilities of separate independent events.

Edit. Gah, barely readable, but that's what it says :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I do get your point about packs. But yoir thinking seems to imply conditionality.

Think of it as either one pack of cards with the selected card being replaced and the cards shuffled, or, five packs of cards all having a card picked at the same time - each deck has a probability of 1/52 for a specific card, independently...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The chance of drawing the 'right' card from the first deck is 1. It's then multiplied by 52 for each of the subsequent decks.

Shall we do the Monty Hall problem next?

Job

The universe isnt interested in our attatchment to individual cards.

Thats what starts to eat in to me, Im sure the key to consciousness is hidden in probability.

Job

That's horrid.

Not to belittle in any way - it's interesting to make the point that we were at over 8 times that (at 854) on daily deaths from coronavirus.
Celebrity deaths.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I don't follow that. Pls explain.

If one card combo is 52^5 the existence of other combos is independent and the chances of one of those other combos is the same, independent, probability. No?

We are furiously agreeing. I just flipped the odds so it may look confusing. 52 x probability of each unique combination (1 / 52^5)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The chance of drawing the 'right' card from the first deck is 1. It's then multiplied by 52 for each of the subsequent decks.
Nope. It's 1 in 52. :)

You're creating conditionality (bad english I know) if your looking at it after you've drawn your first card - but we're looking at five untouched decks and saying "what's the chance of drawing five the same?"

Five blokes, 3... 2... 1... draw! :)

Last edited:

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
1 in 52 is the chance of drawing a specific card from the first deck. In this case we don't care what that card is, so the first deck just acts as a random card generator, the only requirement is that the card from the second deck needs to match it, with the odds of 1 in 52. for the third deck then to match is 1 in 52^2 etc.

I've no idea what you mean by conditionality in this case, but I don't think it's relevant, all three cards can be drawn at the same time or in order, the odds don't change.

And I don't care what anyone else says, the fucking plane will take off!! :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Top Bottom