SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I find the high street is becoming full of these American restaurant chains who manage to some how build enough hype so that people go for the experience, rather than the food.

Five Guys is a prime example.

People go to Five Guys for the experience of getting served a burger in Aluminum foil and chips poured into a cup? Hardly. People go to Five Guys because the burgers are really nice, if you like that sort of thing.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
We went all "street" last week and had our first and last Nandos, s'alright I guess but don't get the hype.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I'm not in possession of the most sophisticated palette. I love me a McDonalds and a nice Doner. However the thought of chlorinated Chicken makes me want to heave.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
People go to Five Guys for the experience of getting served a burger in Aluminum foil and chips poured into a cup? Hardly. People go to Five Guys because the burgers are really nice, if you like that sort of thing.

I went and was thoroughly underwhelmed, it was hyped up to be the best thing around, it's clearly not.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I'm not in possession of the most sophisticated palette. I love me a McDonalds and a nice Doner. However the thought of chlorinated Chicken makes me want to heave.
They put chlorine in our tap water.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
They put chlorine in our tap water.

The chlorine used to wash chicken is sixty times higher than the chlorine levels in British tap water. Both are doing the same job (destroying microbes) but obviously the chickens need a good deal more attention.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Healthy...Subway

So you went to fast food outlets and are calling American food....well..fastfood.
I never said subway was healthy. But it is healthier than a lot of places if you can curb your sauce and cheese additions.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yeah but the US has In and Out Burger. Your criticisms are invalid.

Seriously though some of the best meals I've ever had were in the US. I had a frankly stunning steak in The Barrymore in Vegas (great restaurant, I'd give the pool a miss though), an awesome grill just outside of Mount Laurel in New Jersey and more than one fantastic breakfast in Joe's Cafe in Santa Barbara. Only chicken I can recall eating over there is hot wings, which is the only part of a chicken I actually like, and they didn't seem any different from what I have over here. I also really enjoyed the burger I had at the Heart Attack Grill in Vegas, but that was more down to the atmosphere in the place itself (eat your food or you get spanked).

Biggest issue I have with food in the US is portion sizes - even if you go for steak and salad, you get a mountain of salad that could quite easily stock the aisle in our local Tesco. Other than that it's no different to over here - sure you can order some "meat" from their equivalent of a kebab shop, or go somewhere decent. With all the review sites they have (TripAdvisor, Yelp etc) finding somewhere good isn't too challenging at all.
The places you quote are in tourist zones. Vegas etc. This trip I have been visiting small town usa where my relatives are. These decent places dont really exist here. Been to a bakery / cafe place that was independent and the quality was better but the calorie added side, huge amounts of sauce on salads, massive overload on additions for other stuff.

All the places to go around the towns i am visiting are mostly chains. Ihop ( dreadful), hooters(ok for wings), outback (wasnt too bad quality wise but sauce and unlimited this and that), mexican and an indian place we found. Not too bad but still huge amounts of food.

These half decent places are a lot more expensive too and your average joe cant afford them.

Instead its Arbies, red lobster, red robin, etc which are poor food and cheap prices advertised everywhere and always full.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I find the high street is becoming full of these American restaurant chains who manage to some how build enough hype so that people go for the experience, rather than the food.

Five Guys is a prime example.
I actually like five guys because of the way they cook the burgers, they're totally overpriced though.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Ihop ( dreadful)

I'm guilty for not completely hating IHop. I'm not sure if it's franchise based but I've found when taken there that the quality varies massively between different locations and the decent ones aren't completely terrible as long as you stick to the standard breakfast of bacon & egg fryup and side tower of pancakes - of course the portions are so large you don't need to eat for the rest of the day.

Embattle

FH is my second home
The chlorine used to wash chicken is sixty times higher than the chlorine levels in British tap water. Both are doing the same job (destroying microbes) but obviously the chickens need a good deal more attention.

The issue appears to be the knock on effects of using it, in essence there ends up being a slack attitude to hygiene elsewhere if you use such a method.

I don't have a massive problem with it, providing everything is labelled so I have the choice to eat it or not. The issue for me is that the US government will interfere with our labelling regulations at the same time making it hard to spot, which is something I won't tolerate.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The issue appears to be the knock on effects of using it, in essence there ends up being a slack attitude to hygiene elsewhere if you use such a method.

I don't have a massive problem with it, providing everything is labelled so I have the choice to eat it or not. The issue for me is that the US government will interfere with our labelling regulations at the same time making it hard to spot, which is something I won't tolerate.

Tory voters in a 'I don't mind because I don't have to use/eat it, only the plebs, hehehe' shocker.

Job

They are just washing it with chlorine.

We drink tap water.
You swim in it at public swimming pools

georgie

FH is my second home
I'm sure there's some bleach under your sink you could neck if you'd like to really stand by that point.

<Just in case, cos you really don't know. Don't fucking do that>

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I'm sure there's some bleach under your sink you could neck if you'd like to really stand by that point.

<Just in case, cos you really don't know. Don't fucking do that>

But if you drink sixty times the water than the amount of chicken you eat - wouldnt that be equally bad? Or is small amounts fine and processable by the body?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
They are just washing it with chlorine.

We drink tap water.
You swim in it at public swimming pools

Even swimming pool chlorine levels are ten times less than chicken washing. But the point is that you need that level of washing because the chicken is so unsanitary in the first place.

Even putting the health standards to one side, the general taste of American food is totally bland because everything comes with added sugar to compensate. And I do mean everything; even bread is cloyingly sweet.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Good god their bread is different, I remember having it for the first time in 98 when I was in Florida.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Fourth state today. Fifth in total. Back into Georgia Wednesday before flying to Louisiana our 6th and final state this visit.

Had a bit of toast with breakfast at the airport today. But steering clear of the bread so far.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
68718797_344063863168019_9191126689411760128_n.jpg

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I actually like five guys because of the way they cook the burgers, they're totally overpriced though.

I love Five Guys. For what it is, fast food, it's both decent and relatively fast. The fries are amazing. Have to tone down the additional toppings or it becomes a soggy mess though. Mayo, lettuce, grilled onions, that's it. The one in London was pretty bad. Best one I've had is the one on 3rd Avenue and 42nd street in NYC. I eat from the ones near my work, Rockefeller Plaza about once a month. There's one in either direction, the one on 48th street is better at handling lines, but the food is better at the one on 55th street, but it's chaos trying to get served. So, as with all things in life, mileage may vary.

It's certainly better than McDonald's or Burger King. I thought In-N-Out was over rated, crap fries and an average burger. Shake-shack is decent, but fries are under cooked too often, but their shakes make up for it.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Tried Five Guys once, was not impressed, will at some point give it another go when I have more time than a 30 min lunch break to figure it out.
Pro-tip @Moriath "Dressing on the side". Customer service in the US is completely different from Europe, you can tailor your meal a lot without anyone thinking you're an asshole.

Bread and chicken is not great, but sadly you get used to it living here... you don't have many options unless you bake your own bread or raise your own chickens.

Generally fast food is crap all over the world.

Job

30 thousand homeless in LA now, I know hes a Jeremy Kyle style right winger, but it is entertaining and the facts are mostly true if you check them...bubonic plague fears, rats everywhere....basically rampant drug abuse and mass mental health problems on the streets.
I could post one of a hundred videos on this, but he cuts it to the chase.

View: https://youtu.be/HKCfu4UJQiQ

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Would be curious to see proof that lighter sentences leads to higher crime

Also the homeless problem,if only there was some sort of model, or tool that could help look after people's welfare so they wouldn't end up living on the street...

Oh wait I live in Helsinki there are no homeless here because the state system prevents it ;)

Let's see how brexit turns out the gang in charge of UK gov want the UK to be more like US so perhaps bubonic plague is what you have to look forward to @Job

Biggest problem with the video is it just looks at symptoms of problems not causes

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom