SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
The plague wasn't spread by rats though.

That was just fear mongering, like you like to do Job

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Nah, most of the science points towards direct human to human spreading and fleas/ticks living on humans rather than rats.
Once bubos are present yep - it's spread by mucus and fluid transfer, but the fleas arrived via rats on ships...

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Started off without a full battery.

I stopped reading there, someone was looking for a story.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I read it. The author is clearly an idiot or has an agenda, but there's some truths in there.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Yes perhaps an agenda or writing a good story but also quite a bit of real life situation aspects there.
I thought it had some good points to take into consideration when deciding to buy electric.

Sounds to me as though things need to improve a lot before it will be replacing the petrol cars as someones main car.

You should be able to do a 300 mile trip without having to stop for example and not have to meticulously plan your route to find charging stations.

Gwadien

Yes perhaps an agenda or writing a good story but also quite a bit of real life situation aspects there.
I thought it had some good points to take into consideration when deciding to buy electric.

Sounds to me as though things need to improve a lot before it will be replacing the petrol cars as someones main car.

You should be able to do a 300 mile trip without having to stop for example and not have to meticulously plan your route to find charging stations.

Problem is, even with the car manufacturers pioneering the way with electric cars, consumers are still picking petrol heavily, which is why the investment from Government is lacklustre.

Which is obviously bad since consumers won't pick them up until the infrastructure is in place.

Gwadien

Job's female facebook alter ego.

20840790_346241765830228_1749965053951693153_n.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Started off without a full battery.

I stopped reading there, someone was looking for a story.
1) Fessed up in the title. 2) And that's nothing to be ashamed of: I often start long journeys with less than quarter of a tank.

Importantly; 3) He started his return journey with a full battery and, without having to queue for charging stations, the journey was still three hours longer than in a petrol car.

Gwadien

1) Fessed up in the title. 2) And that's nothing to be ashamed of: I often start long journeys with less than quarter of a tank.

Importantly; 3) He started his return journey with a full battery and, without having to queue for charging stations, the journey was still three hours longer than in a petrol car.

I'm fairly sure that you would religiously charge your car over night if it were electric.

Job

Well the whole thing is a joke anyway.
Electric cars are rich mans toys, given at best a 25 min charging time, there would have to be thousands of charging points at stations and massive powerlines direct from power stations.
The network now is just a hilarious token gesture, theres usualy two or three at service stations and even then theres no agreed connector.
They could charge maybe 30-40 cars a day.
Great for commuter trips if you can charge at home....reducing pollution and co2?
Nope, just moving it elsewhere.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Assuming it's a fossil fuel power plant it's still wildly more efficient (co2 wise) than burning it in a car. Infrastructure certainly needs work though if it's as bad as described.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Problem is, even with the car manufacturers pioneering the way with electric cars, consumers are still picking petrol heavily, which is why the investment from Government is lacklustre.

Which is obviously bad since consumers won't pick them up until the infrastructure is in place.
Chicken and egg. Consumers are not going to consume if the convenience isnt there.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

I do cornwall to west london in under 4 hours usually. I can do my house to lands end in an hour. So 6 hours normal drive to west london is slow going even from lands end which i assume he wasnt.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm fairly sure that you would religiously charge your car over night if it were electric.
Great. So in the given example the best case scenario, with ideal charging conditions, is a three hour longer than petrol journey.

What a fucking win :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Chicken and egg. Consumers are not going to consume if the convenience isnt there.

Yes they will. Tax. Tax is what got people into diesels and its what will (and is) getting people into EVs. The Tesla S isn't one of the most popular cars in Norway because its an EV, its because relative to other cars of a similar size its taxed massively less. BMW expect a quarter of all of the new 3-series sales in the UK to be the hybrid, purely because of the tax benefit. Throw in a an increasing number of ULEV zones in cities and electric will start to get traction in the next couple of years; primarily in plug-in hybrids at first (there are tons about to come to market in the next 12-18 months) and then full EVs.

NB. I don't actually think full battery EVs are the right choice for mass consumer use; hydrogen hybrids is actually the more sustainable choice but the infrastructure numbers don't work yet (they will when existing electrical grids come under pressure), so hydrogen may be the technology for 10-15 years' time, but in the meantime most of us will move to a hybrid or full EV over the next 5-8 years.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Yes they will. Tax. Tax is what got people into diesels and its what will (and is) getting people into EVs. The Tesla S isn't one of the most popular cars in Norway because its an EV, its because relative to other cars of a similar size its taxed massively less. BMW expect a quarter of all of the new 3-series sales in the UK to be the hybrid, purely because of the tax benefit. Throw in a an increasing number of ULEV zones in cities and electric will start to get traction in the next couple of years; primarily in plug-in hybrids at first (there are tons about to come to market in the next 12-18 months) and then full EVs.

Which in a ironic twist is funded due to the CO2 producing products that Norway exports.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Great. So in the given example the best case scenario, with ideal charging conditions, is a three hour longer than petrol journey.

What a fucking win :(

From what i gather they aren't reliable long distance but rather be used in cities (as constant stop-go driving devours gas) to reduce particle emission and make for cheaper driving. Win-win would be a hybrid, gas for long mileage and electric for city-driving.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Or just make the battery for the car last as long as using petrol or longer and reduce charging times to less than 5 mins.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
"just"

Charging time drop is the biggie. Then the infrastructure - power stations need to be brought online, charging points need to be ubiquitous.

TBH - I can't see any of this happening without carbon capture and storage, which we're nowhere near.

Job

Assuming it's a fossil fuel power plant it's still wildly more efficient (co2 wise) than burning it in a car. Infrastructure certainly needs work though if it's as bad as described.
Power stations arent wildly more efficient..those giant chimneys next to them are cooling towers that evaporate off wasted heat, factor in transmission losses, charging losses and battery heat loss...Tesla batteries are water cooled and thats,what powers the heater once you are going..plus the controller which is in the same water cooled circuit.
Then the huge weight of the batteries.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Power stations arent wildly more efficient..
Yes they fucking are you giant tit.

I'm saying this as someone who a) has a tech environment-related degree and b) someone who worked for 13 years at one of europe's largest power generating and distributing companies.

They're still shit, but way more efficient than internal combustion engines - which is what @Ormorof was actually talking about.

Of course, your lack of basic comprehension skills means you mixed up power generation with distribution and storage. Life must be incomprehensibly difficult when you've only a one-in-six chance of finding your ass with your hands...

Gwadien

124k are officially homeless.

90k are sofa surfing.

I had a friend who was 'homeless' during college, her family were from Devon, and they moved here temporarily and then moved back, but she wanted to stay for college and work, because they lived in the middle of no-where and the only job she could have had was working in the hotel that her mum worked in.

I'm sure there's lots of cases just like that, but I still believe that there should be more support for people like that, a charity gave her a flat to live in whilst she finished college, but she had no other support from the council.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom