SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
What do you want.
Less humans and more trees with monkeys in them?
Is that really want you want because you are asking the people in those countries to hold back, when we cut down 90% of our forest for safety, ship building and to feed the industrial revolution.
Preaching of the converted.

I hate to be the one but the industrial revolution is better than orangutangs.
They got where they are by taking out creatures to climb to the top of their evolutionary tree, what comes around and all.
We wull save the planet, but only when it directly affects us with real consequences.

I see it more that if we protect the wildlife then the planet will protect us in return.

As I said before, it's not even a good economic debate; imagine the gazillions we're going to have to spend in the near future protecting our coasts from the rising seas?

Also if you have that 19th century industrial approach then how are we going to produce oxygen if we wipe out forests?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Well most oxygen comes from plankton , ameoba in the sea and all the other plant life.
but lets not split hairs.

All Im saying is why would any emerging country listen to us, a gang of hippy do gooders basking in the fruits of explotation, showing emotive pictures of apes attacking diggers.
How about showing the country building hospitals and feeding its people, you know..the stuff we have on demand.

We've done worse to people..far..far worse.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It's the nature of the human animal.

Embattle's full of disagree and funny-as-facepalm but he's got no actual counter argument.

Fair enough. He thinks I'm a hypocrite but I live better than carbon neutral, so my conscience is clear.

I don't need to counter the argument because the answer from me will always be the same, as you yourself are clearly aware from your following sentence I do consider you an utter fucking hypocrite in most of what you've shown support for because of the actions you've taken and no doubt the actions you'll continue to take but don't worry you aren't alone by any means as this week has proven.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I see it more that if we protect the wildlife then the planet will protect us in return.

As I said before, it's not even a good economic debate; imagine the gazillions we're going to have to spend in the near future protecting our coasts from the rising seas?

Also if you have that 19th century industrial approach then how are we going to produce oxygen if we wipe out forests?

We often ignore negative things in the near future.

I know our council seems to of been on a tree chopping run recently, I've always liked having plenty of trees around and I've been lucky to live near two of the bigger London parks so I don't have to go far to get away from the concrete.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I do consider you an utter fucking hypocrite in most of what you've shown support for because of the actions you've taken and no doubt the actions you'll continue to take but don't worry you aren't alone by any means as this week has proven.
So, the actions I've taken that mean I live better than carbon-neutral mean that I'm a hypocrite?

Come on Embattle. We're talking about the environment - what actions have I taken mean that I'm a hypocrite?

The fact is - you and I both know you've not taken actions that mean that you're running carbon-neutral. That your impact on biodiversity is minimised (you eat only organic food to minimise chemicals introduced into the environment, and you've reduced your meat consumption, right?)

Bullshit. That's what you're full of. You've done fuck all and you snipe from the sidelines.

Last edited:

Embattle

FH is my second home
How was Thailand?

Yes we've been here before and I suspect you've done more than one plane journey in the last decade something which seems a big no no in a carbon neutral lifestyle.

In reality you know very little about what I eat and by no means would I claim to be perfect but also due to personal health reasons I'm not anywhere near that bad. I've no doubt organic food is more environmentally beneficial, although probably not quite as much as you believe but we've been over that argument.

In the end I do lack the self-righteous hypocritical smugness that you and your ilk tend to ram down others peoples throats when talking about social/environmental issues, in no way does it mean I'm unaware of those issues.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
How was Thailand?
It was great, thank you very much. Should I live like a crusty?

I carbon offset flights. With actual hard-earned cash, for both me and my partner for every flight, car journey and non-food item I consume, two the tune of a minimum of double our footprint. Have done since I left university in 1996. And that's far from all we do - considering both of us come from environmental backgrounds (she's a marine biologist who works in an environmental job).

You've reached right for the hypocrite argument, again, as correctly predicted. I might be a smug, self-righteous prick but I ain't a hypocrite - I will leave the world a better place than if I never existed. I've earned my smug self-righteousness.

You may well be 'aware of the issues' - I said awareness wasn't a problrm in an earlier post. But get off your ass and DO something about it instead of shouting 'hypocrite' from the sidelines about people who already are, like the over-consumptive arse you are.

Gwadien

I think the general message behind global warming is that whilst it's nice that individuals do their bit, it won't have a huge impact until governments do something about it.

It's down to us to pressure our governments to do something about it.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It was great, thank you very much. Should I live like a crusty?

I carbon offset flights. With actual hard-earned cash, for both me and my partner for every flight, car journey and non-food item I consume, two the tune of a minimum of double our footprint. Have done since I left university in 1996. And that's far from all we do - considering both of us come from environmental backgrounds (she's a marine biologist who works in an environmental job).

You've reached right for the hypocrite argument, again, as correctly predicted. I might be a smug, self-righteous prick but I ain't a hypocrite - I will leave the world a better place than if I never existed. I've earned my smug self-righteousness.

You may well be 'aware of the issues' - I said awareness wasn't a problrm in an earlier post. But get off your ass and DO something about it instead of shouting 'hypocrite' from the sidelines about people who already are, like the over-consumptive arse you are.

You keep telling yourself that captain carbon offset, it would even be a joke if you ignored the controversies over carbon offsets but to me situation is laughable when you think you can buy or eat your way to offsetting blasting tonnes of carbon in the stratosphere...almost Emma Thompson like believing that planting trees can offset a journey from LA to preach in Oxford street.

Well that ends this subject for me, I think we can agree that I believe you are full of shit and you think I am but that isn't something new either.

Vote for the Green Party then, although their position in elections is why no major fancies committing suicide by public vote on those issues the majority believe in but are unwilling to pay for via taxes etc.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I think the general message behind global warming is that whilst it's nice that individuals do their bit, it won't have a huge impact until governments do something about it.

No government will do anything drastic about it cause it means poorer living standards for everyone and they will be voted out after the riots.

Unless all parties commit to it.

Then its only any good unless all countries do it.

So basically its never gonna happen.

So one person off setting their carbon means nothing. 1 million doing so feck all.

And good for you if you can afford to pay for carbon off setting there are billions who cant.

Gwadien

No government will do anything drastic about it cause it means poorer living standards for everyone and they will be voted out after the riots.

Unless all parties commit to it.

Then its only any good unless all countries do it.

So basically its never gonna happen.

So one person off setting their carbon means nothing. 1 million doing so feck all.

And good for you if you can afford to pay for carbon off setting there are billions who cant.

I'm fairly sure if the 'West' put their foot down and said to developing countries we aint buying shit unless you clean up your act, I'm fairly sure they will.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I'm fairly sure if the 'West' put their foot down and said to developing countries we aint buying shit unless you clean up your act, I'm fairly sure they will.
Why should the others do what the ‘west’ says when the ‘west’ is creating a lot of this shit.

You see the french protests at cost of living rises. What would happen if all the imports cost twice what they are today?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well that ends this subject for me, I think we can agree that I believe you are full of shit and you think I am but that isn't something new either.
Convenient. I think we can agree, even if I'm wrong I'm doing something, whilst you're sat in your pants shouting at people who are trying, whilst actually doing fuck all...

Edit: For the record - you can quantify carbon locked away vs carbon emitted over a lifecycle. It's not actually that hard to do. I worked on some of the models that are used whilst at university and they stand up (and have been massively improved). But if that's your excuse for doing nowt feel free to cling to it...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Convenient. I think we can agree, even if I'm wrong I'm doing something, whilst you're sat in your pants shouting at people who are trying, whilst actually doing fuck all...

Edit: For the record - you can quantify carbon locked away vs carbon emitted over a lifecycle. It's not actually that hard to do. I worked on some of the models that are used whilst at university and they stand up (and have been massively improved). But if that's your excuse for doing nowt feel free to cling to it...
The best thing you can do for the planet is something both I and @Scouse have done. Dont have kids.

Your carbon foot print projected forward is so massive if you have off spring.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Agree totally @Moriath, but I do all it's possible for a human to do without living like an ascetic to counter what I'm doing, never mind not having kids.

Guess that makes me a hypocrite...

Gwadien

The best thing you can do for the planet is something both I and @Scouse have done. Dont have kids.

Your carbon foot print projected forward is so massive if you have off spring.

That's bollocks.

We can easily have a larger population on the planet, but we need to find ways to sustain it.

Basically, we need to put the planet before money, that's all it boils down to :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That's bollocks.
Nope.

We could have a larger population on the planet but we're already consuming resources at 1.7x the world's capacity.

Unless you're prepared to make major lifestyle changes, which you're not, then we need far less people.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Slowing population growth is key to saving the planet, says Gwadien's hero.

The shocking thing is that he didn't say it in the 1980's.

Embattle

FH is my second home
That's bollocks.

We can easily have a larger population on the planet, but we need to find ways to sustain it.

Basically, we need to put the planet before money, that's all it boils down to :)

Again it is a complicated issue, personally I don't have any kids although I would never say never and nor do I have an big issue really with people who limit themselves to 1 but without question it is one of the most polluting things you can personally do.

Falling total fertility rate should be welcomed, population expert says

The ironic thing about putting the planet before money is it'll takes vast amounts of money to actually do and that can't negate that there are simply too many of us.

Job

So...are islamic suicide bombers the the far right or left?

Job

Attenborough left out the juicy bit from the orangutang digger debate, half of the palm oil is for boifuels to feed the EUs demands for forecourt renewables.

Let someone else deal with it while we feel good.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Without getting into the weeds, you clearly cannot know that your existing on the planet was a net positive for the planet. If for no other reason than nobody has the ability to determine what a net positive for the planet actually looks like.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Tom
Top Bottom