SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Syri

FH is my second home
Anyway - I don't really understand why they mothballed Concorde so quickly. They had a single big problem. Identified it. Why not fix the issue?

Was there something about the design that was inherently dangerous?
I think the main problem was cost. It was costing a lot to get Concorde flying anyway, and it didn't get much of a return due to the small passenger count. Prices had to remain somewhat competitive as well, just saving a bit of time can't demand TOO much of a premium, especially with the trade-off of cramped conditions. Add to that the cost of keeping the systems up to date, and it's already looking doubtful whether or not to keep it running. Basically it was already on the tipping point, throw in a design flaw to correct and you've got one dead aircraft.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

I think the guy who made the complaint did his job well; the law was designed to be unenforceable while they waited for a referendum to amend the constitution (there have been two referenda since this law was brought in) but it wasn't sitting on anyone's priority list; now it is and will probably be in the next referendum (which is mainly about abortion) or the one after.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I think the main problem was cost. It was costing a lot to get Concorde flying anyway, and it didn't get much of a return due to the small passenger count. Prices had to remain somewhat competitive as well, just saving a bit of time can't demand TOO much of a premium, especially with the trade-off of cramped conditions. Add to that the cost of keeping the systems up to date, and it's already looking doubtful whether or not to keep it running. Basically it was already on the tipping point, throw in a design flaw to correct and you've got one dead aircraft.

The design flaw wasn't actually with Concorde but an inherent danger with aviation in general at the time - debris on the tarmac. They did take Concorde out of the skies for about a year afterwards to make small changes, but it wasn't really a flaw with Concorde itself - it's operational record before the crash was spot on.

More info here:

https://www.quora.com/Why-was-the-C...od-operational-history-barring-the-2000-crash

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Bloke at work went out to buy a pizza hut from the new one just opened round the corner.

He is one of those flakes that can't eat anything hotter than a pepperoni.

Anyway, he went for a Cajun, pulled pork thing. Didn't like it, too hot.

Yay, free pizza. It's not even remotely hot, just taste like cheap, sweet "American" sauce.

Alright for free though.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Question for you UK folks..

Just watched an episode of The Grand Tour when something struck me.

They talk a lot over CB radio or walkie talkies when they are out driving in UK. Does that mean there's a difference between talking on the phone while holding it in your hand and talking on a radio while holding it in your hand?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Tbh, the law is as grey as it gets, its up to the discretion of the copper.
You can be done for undue care and attention if talking on a cb/tuning in your radio is seen to be endangering other road users.
The new laws are more specific to mobiles, but it doesnt seem to cover operating built in satnavs, you are not allowed to touch your phone while the engine is running...but you can operate controls on the dash...which could easily be navigation settings.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
CBs used to be quite popular for truckers to pick up underage kids.

Its just a radio transmitter/receiver.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
you are not allowed to touch your phone while the engine is running...

So i just have to turn the engine off then? Does it anywhere in that new law state that the car also have to not be moving? :D

Job

You have to park in a safe spot as well.

Job

A man goes to the circus. After the show he speaks to the manager and asks for a job.
"Alright, what can you do?", the manager asks.
-"I can do great bird impressions", the man replies.
-"Pssh, a lot of people can do that".
-"Oh well", the man says and flies away.

Which country has the fastest growing capitol?
Ireland. It's Dublin every year

What do you get when you cross the Atlantic with the Titanic?
About halfway.

What do you call when you cross a detective with an electrician?
Sherlock Ohms

My friend fell into a vat of chemicals…
Ironically, it was his quick reaction that killed him…

I have a few jokes about unemployed people..
But none of them work

I got drunk yesterday and ate some scrabble tiles....
I fear my next poop could spell disaster

My neighbour knocked and angrily asked me if I had been stealing clothes off her washing line..
I nearly shit her pants

What do you call an army full of babies?
An infantry

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So i just have to turn the engine off then? Does it anywhere in that new law state that the car also have to not be moving? :D
Stuck in a queue on the motor way and you still cant use your mobile like that.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Question for you UK folks..

Just watched an episode of The Grand Tour when something struck me.

They talk a lot over CB radio or walkie talkies when they are out driving in UK. Does that mean there's a difference between talking on the phone while holding it in your hand and talking on a radio while holding it in your hand?

Pretty sure there's an exception in law for CB radios etc, mainly as the Police and other emergency services use them.

Q659: Is it illegal to use a CB or two way radio whilst driving?

Getting round the mobile ban whilst driving is dead easy though - just use Google Now. "Navigate home" "Text Roger" etc etc. Seems to work for most stuff, even music (as long as you use Google Play Music, which I do anyway).

Tom

I am a FH squatter

Ignore Job, as usual he's talking shite. The legislation refers to the use of a handheld mobile phone. If your phone is in a cradle and you touch the screen to use it, you're fine.

BTW if you are sat in the driver's seat and the ignition is on, you're driving. Doesn't matter if you're moving or not.

Job

Nope, even when it's in a holder, you are not allowed to touch the screen, wether or not they would allow you to do that with a dedicated satnav is a grey area.
You can not touch your while driving, or technically even when stationary with the engine running, like at the lights.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Nope, even when it's in a holder, you are not allowed to touch the screen, wether or not they would allow you to do that with a dedicated satnav is a grey area.
You can not touch your while driving, or technically even when stationary with the engine running, like at the lights.

You're talking shite.

Using mobile phones when driving - GOV.UK

> It’s illegal to use your phone while driving or riding a motorcycle unless you have hands-free access, such as:

> a dashboard holder

Furthermore:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2695/regulation/2/made

> For the purposes of this regulation—

> a mobile telephone or other device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function;

Once more you demonstrate that you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

Job

The dsshboard holder is for voice calling...you cannot touch the screen while driving.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You know a few weeks back when you claimed that judges didn't know what they were doing? Well guess what, judges read legislation. And it's all available, free, online. Here's the relevant part for you, again:

> a mobile telephone or other device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function

Do you know what a hand is? And do you know what "to hold" means?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
So let me get this straight. You CAN "responsibly" play with your phone as long as it's stuck to a dashboard holder?

That makes even less sense as that probably means the phone is mounted somewhere over the center console....

So not only will you have to stretch a fair bit to reach the bloody thing you're not even vaguely looking forward while doing it.. :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well, under pre-existing laws they can pull you over for anything they think is distracting you, food, maps, playing with the stereo a lot, etc. The new laws are more specifically aimed at making calls and texting.

Hard to believe but some people are actually dumb enough to fuck about with their phone while driving.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The law is poorly written. It should ban drivers from making or taking calls on mobile phones when they're driving. It isn't the pressing of buttons or holding the phone that's the problem, it's the conversation. It is physically impossible for a human being to concentrate on more than one thing at once, and that includes driving while holding a conversation, whether that be with the person next to you, or the person on the other end of the phone. But at least when the other person is next to you they can moderate their conversation in response to their environment.

Interacting with the screen while driving is another matter and, depending on design, need not be any more distracting than using any other function on a car.

Job

Every single major news outlet is saying you cant ever touch the screen even in a cradle...the RAC are non commital, the AA says simole one button press, but no programminng.
I appreciate non of that lines up with the legislation...but 99% of people will be getting their info from the news.
The Surrey police have tried to clear it up..but seem confused themselves..citing undue care and attention for touching the screen.
Its a mess tbh, if you google can you touch the screen...which is what I did..every result says no.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
imo it's common sense. playing candy crush while driving across a junction at 70 in your van? perhaps you shouldn't. pressing the screen once while the phone is in its holder to activate a call? meh. are there cars near you? are you about to drive into a ditch? are birds attacking a man running across a field? are you on fire? does the law actually not let you do this? if any answer is yes, then perhaps you have better things to do than think about your phone.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
imo it's common sense. playing candy crush while driving across a junction at 70 in your van? perhaps you shouldn't. pressing the screen once while the phone is in its holder to activate a call? meh. are there cars near you? are you about to drive into a ditch? are birds attacking a man running across a field? are you on fire? does the law actually not let you do this? if any answer is yes, then perhaps you have better things to do than think about your phone.

Funny and Agree.

Fagree?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Uh oh. Ambulance just went past with the blues on, back the other way 15 mins later.

I feel an allotment might be up for grabs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom