SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a fantastic film, I suggest you all watch it.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Yeah, but come on, you'd still work for him.
2015HankScorpio_Press_230915.hero.jpg

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I should imagine those hundred people would be bored in a week, it's just an empty rock and the internet is really slow.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Hatnote Listen to Wikipedia

This is weird and oddly relaxing to have on in the background. It makes a noise every time a wiki article is modified, a different noise depending on whether it's an addition (a bell) or a subtraction (a string pluck) and the size of the modification (denoted by pitch).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Who in their right mind thought G Suite was a better name than Google Apps...?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hello, My name is Sadiq Khan and I have absolutely no idea how everything I own gets to me.

In the past two years HGVs were involved in 23% of pedestrian fatalities and 58% of cyclist deaths ... despite accounting for just 4% of the miles driven

So, he's proposing giving four years for haulage companies to get old and dangerous lorries off the road in London and eight years for ones that aren't quite as bad.

Seems a perfectly reasonable traffic safety proposal to me.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Until you see the cost of lorries, ~250k each and existing ones will have zero resale value and have to be scrapped. So, you are Mr Haulier, operating around London and have a fleet of 10 trucks, all of a sudden, none of them can operate in London, where do you find 2.5 million?

The major problem is stupid people not understanding trucks. You can't moan because someone sits in a blind spot and gets run over, or tries to sneak up the inside of a truck because "THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE THERE".

Yes, safety is important but as with all these knee jerk, poorly thought out plans it is completely impractical. Just an exorcise in public relations without thinking about how it is going to work.

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
What? Do you even live in the real world? You are completely missing the point. The vast majority of hauliers aren't multinational super companies, they are small independent outfits who mostly buy used trucks and operate on tiny margins. There is no way on earth they can just abandon their fleet to purchase brand new compliant vehicles.

It will drive up distribution costs, put small hauliers out of business and probably not have quite the impact people imagine.

You also cannot account for cyclist stupidity, we have all seen them jump lights, wobble about the place, undercut vehicles etc, dangerous vs cars, completely insane against trucks. No design change will stop that.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Some hauliers may go out of business. Or perhaps, as it's a proposal, there may be cash to help them.

Either way - it's massively cheap next to lives. Pedestrian lives too: 23% of pedestrian fatalities, 4% of journeys. So get off your idiotic anti-cyclist horse.

Cost of a life lost in an accident?

Cost of a fatal casualty (all ages) - including lost output, medical and ambulance costs and human costs
£1.69 million

Your argument makes no economic sense at all and ignores the evidence - that the older dangerous trucks are the ones that kill disproportionately. It's hastening the phasing out of unsafe vehicles - and regardless of cost it's more than a purely economic argument.

And remember - these lorries aren't taken out of circulation - they're taken out of London.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom