This strafing discussion.

opium

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
20
I dont get why some peoples calls strafeing lame or as a cheat.

Like, you are a gimpy-thane, and attack a Hero?
You do 100 damage in total per style, Hero does 600 damage, then it's OBVIOUS that you should strafe around, so he misses alot, = less damage, more chance to win, this tactic is the best in the game, like, would be very stupid just to stand still faceing eachother and just take "ouchie" hits?

Learn how to strafe and you will manage easier.

My english sucks since im swedish, but hope you get my point, so tired of this LAME STRAFE FUCKING NOOB QQ THREADS, and so.
Take it this way, if you dont strafe around, you're a noob, if you do, your smart and elit.
 

Fadeh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
737
So because you know how to abuse poor coding by Mythic then you are elite?

What about those people who know how to do this and still dont because they feel its lame?
 

opium

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
20
If it was a poor coding by mythic, why doesnt them take away the Strafe ability?
 

opium

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
20
you cant abuse anything thats already written
 

Muh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
75
I really hope this is some poor attempt at beeing funny opium, if it's not, you must be retarded.
 

Fadeh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
737
opium said:
If it was a poor coding by mythic, why doesnt them take away the Strafe ability?
Because they are to slow? And maybe its a major bug in the game thats very hard to remove. Im a programmer so i know how it can be.

And its not the strafe ability in itself whos the bad guy.
 

opium

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
20
I dont feel that im trying to be funny, just try realise, WHY WOULD MYTHIC THEN INVENT THE STRAFE ABILITY, and just because some knows how to strafe better then others, then they are retarded and lame, makes no sense to me.
 

opium

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
20
Fadeh said:
Because they are to slow? And maybe its a major bug in the game thats very hard to remove. Im a programmer so i know how it can be.

And its not the strafe ability in itself whos the bad guy.
Well, I havent seen any "posts" or smth, that they say that the strafe ability is a bug, or am i just slow to?
It's also easy to hit a fast strafe user. If you think.
 

Fadeh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
737
Strafe better then others? Let me guess that you dont come from the FPS world.

Its the /stick and /face commands that dont work opium. If you now didnt know that. Strafe works as it should. Its /stick and /face who dont work when someone strafe and run through the other person and causes out of view messages.
 

Muh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
75
Why was it possible to window-drag lag?
Why could you screenshot jump and get where you were not supposed to?

And now for the really big question, why cant you understand that
lag strafing is a bug and not a feature?
 

leggy

Probably Scottish
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
3,838
Relate this to real life.

If someone is bigger and stronger than me then I will jump out of the way to avoid a blow :)

= Strafe.

So imo Strafe = Win.

Then I don't play DAoC. This could be attributed to the fact that the typical reponse to this thread highlights the number of ***** that play it.

Kindest Regards

Leggy
 

Muh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
75
leggy said:
Relate this to real life.

If someone is bigger and stronger than me then I will jump out of the way to avoid a blow :)

= Strafe.

So imo Strafe = Win.

Leggy
Are you for real? :twak:
 

Fadeh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
737
leggy said:
Relate this to real life.
If someone is bigger and stronger than me then I will jump out of the way to avoid a blow :)
This is daoc however. That someone who is bigger and stronger will use sprint so you cant run away. The only defence you have is heals,guard,block,parry,evade,intercept.

What would the point to strafe if /stick worked on it? Then all tanks would nail side styles who is higher dps styles. Not like strafing is faster then the tank can run so you cant get away with it.
 

Puppet

Resident Freddy
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,232
Buffbot-resists is 'lame' too. You exploiting something in the current game giving you for a limited time a passive way of avoiding damage.

You can discuss what you want but in a way buffbot-resists is exactly the same. Also Im pretty sure Mythic didnt put buffbots in the game for this use.
 

Freppe

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
629
Its was a difference between strafing and drag window tho imo. Drag window was smth that you use outside of the game, Not inside, like moving around, pressing buttons etc, thats strafing, a inside thing and also running thru ppl.

As myself has allways played like i run thru ppl, stick em. And NONE has said anything in the past about that. Just when I releasede my ns movie, my first time ever, heard whine about I run thru ppl. Those ppl claim its been like that forever, and if mythic havent changed since they released the game, its nothing else than a feature to the game. They have also never posted anything about it in any kind of post theyve made. Same with strafing.

I myself think its give a more touch to the game than just sticking someone, pressing some buttons, oh ye thats skilled etc.
 

Pio

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
577
So fadeh your telling me that NOT once in the whole time you've played doac you've not stuck to someone then used strafe to hit a positional?

I'll use strafe on a infil if he evades to try get behind him so he doesn't get df off does that mean I'm a bug abusing mfer?

Seriously who gives a shit it's there use it or don't use it don't let your guild use it but everyone needs to stop coming on the forums and crying about it, if it's a bug mythic will fix it tbh they won't fix it coz I cant see how its a bug.
 

Muh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
75
Freppe said:
Its was a difference between strafing and drag window tho imo. Drag window was smth that you use outside of the game, Not inside, like moving around, pressing buttons etc, thats strafing, a inside thing that is and also running thru ppl.

As myself has allways played like i run thru ppl, stick em. And NONE has said anything in the past about that. Just when I releasede my ns movie, my first time ever, heard whine about I run thru ppl. Those ppl claim its been like that forever, and if mythic havent changed since they released the game, its nothing else than a feature to the game. They have also never posted anything about it in any kind of post theyve made. Same with strafing.

I myself think its give a more touch to the game than just sticking someone, pressing some buttons, oh ye thats skilled etc.
I saw that movie, and it sucked tbh.
What should decide who wins a fight, is who lands their styles,evades,parries,blocks etc.
What you do is take advantage of some poor coding on mythic part, that causes out of view when running through/strafes combined with face/stick.
And if you think this gives the game more touch then just sticking someone, I've got news for you. Daoc isnt a game that requires that much skills in movement, if you wanna use your leet moves play q3 or something.
 

remi

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
1,427
soo...the /face lagg that most mezzers use ....its a bugg and lame? :eek:
 

Fadeh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
737
Pio said:
So fadeh your telling me that NOT once in the whole time you've played doac you've not stuck to someone then used strafe to hit a positional?

I'll use strafe on a infil if he evades to try get behind him so he doesn't get df off does that mean I'm a bug abusing mfer?

Seriously who gives a shit it's there use it or don't use it don't let your guild use it but everyone needs to stop coming on the forums and crying about it, if it's a bug mythic will fix it tbh they won't fix it coz I cant see how its a bug.
Yes i have used strafe to hit a positional. But yet again, what exactly has that to do with anything? Its not like people use this thing to avoid positionals. They use it to avoid hits at all. Which is abit over the top imo.

If you make him not styling. Yes, that means you are a bug abusing mfer.

You do what you want. But dont expect all to like it.
 

Freppe

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
629
Poor coding by mythic, has they EVER stated its a BUG? I'd like to see that imo then, if they aint, tbh its just a thing some ppl has come up with cus theyre tired of not hitting styles or whatever. Their own problem, what I can say is that, if mythic would say its a bug, they would for sure fix it, like just the rest of it.

The movie was from the last patch tho, and even if I did run thru ppl, I still got not in view FROM THOSE ppl every fight. At least 3-4 times. At least on excal, dno how prydwen is, but I couldnt fight one dude, without I gettin not in view. Especially funny those fights when i was buffed and fought unbuffed ones and had 10% hp left cus I got not in view whole fight basicly.

If ppl do it to me I for sure do it to them. Tho the thing is, I dont really care if they do, cus its a FEATURE, MYTHIC HAS IMPLANTED IT, AND WONT REMOVE IT. Hopefully they will, but since they dont see it as a bug???????? They wont.
 

Fadeh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
737
remi said:
soo...the /face lagg that most mezzers use ....its a bugg and lame? :eek:
Its a bug i think. Im sure not all who has "/face lagged" window dragged. Well im not exactly sure. I have never played any classes who used /face that much.
 

Fadeh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
737
Freppe said:
Poor coding by mythic, has they EVER stated its a BUG? I'd like to see that imo then, if they aint, tbh its just a thing some ppl has come up with cus theyre tired of not hitting styles or whatever. Their own problem, what I can say is that, if mythic would say its a bug, they would for sure fix it, like just the rest of it.

The movie was from the last patch tho, and even if I did run thru ppl, I still got not in view FROM THOSE ppl every fight. At least 3-4 times. At least on excal, dno how prydwen is, but I couldnt fight one dude, without I gettin not in view. Especially funny those fights when i was buffed and fought unbuffed ones and had 10% hp left cus I got not in view whole fight basicly.

If ppl do it to me I for sure do it to them. Tho the thing is, I dont really care if they do, cus its a FEATURE, MYTHIC HAS IMPLANTED IT, AND WONT REMOVE IT. Hopefully they will, but since they dont see it as a bug???????? They wont.
Man, this is how it works. First they fix it, AFTER that they announce that they have solved a bug. Its not like they first say "We have a bug here and we are trying to fix it". Because then people will start and wait for it and expect a fix. Then perhaps the fix never comes because the Mythic programmers dont know how to fix it.
 

Muh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 4, 2004
Messages
75
Freppe said:
Poor coding by mythic, has they EVER stated its a BUG? I'd like to see that imo then, if they aint, tbh its just a thing some ppl has come up with cus theyre tired of not hitting styles or whatever. Their own problem, what I can say is that, if mythic would say its a bug, they would for sure fix it, like just the rest of it.
You really think mythic meant for /face and /stick to be lagged, so that
you get out of view when using them?

And as for your movie, try getting some extra weapons with backup poisons etc, maybe then you wouldnt have to keep doing your lameass
"run through & /stick" routine to win fights.
 

Mikal

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
108
it's simple really, does it make sense that because you strafe around someone they should get "out of view" and miss their styles, clearly not, and I'd think it's safe to assume it's not intended then, ei. a bug.

just because mythic haven't stated yet that it's a bug doesn't mean it isn't, they haven't said a word about pets still drawing when they cross out of viewing range. And I'm sure alot of pet classes who have been tracked down because of this would say it's a bug.
Also you have to consider the possibility that not everyone knows of a certain bug, and if mythic then says it exists without fixing it (as you say they should) those people will start using it.

but unfortunately mythic are the only ones that do anything about it, so it's not likely to stop anytime soon. I dislike the people who use it, and yes, if my sb meets an infil who evades my attack, I will stand still, accept the dragonfang and purge it rather than strafe to avoid it, because I'd like to be fair, and have other people be fair aswell.

Using mythics strange sense of balance is no excuse for strafing around people to avoid styles imo. It's two different things, and I'd rather see people send feedback forms to mythic (yes, EU players can do that aswell), use rightnow, post on vnboards etc., telling what they want changed instead of accepting it and make up for it by cheating. if enough people request the same thing mythic will eventuelly up the priority on it and get it fixed, that's basicly what happened to Left Axe.

PS. in 1 on 1 encouters, strafing can be counteracted to a certain degree by backing away while your opponent is stuck to you and trying to strafe
 

opium

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 10, 2004
Messages
20
Fadeh said:
Strafe better then others? Let me guess that you dont come from the FPS world.

Its the /stick and /face commands that dont work opium. If you now didnt know that. Strafe works as it should. Its /stick and /face who dont work when someone strafe and run through the other person and causes out of view messages.
Ok, I dont think im a FPS player, played, QW, Q2, Q3 & CS in the "elitleagues", various of being in 2 national teams. Mkay.
Face works for me, as ive noticed, sometimes its abit slow tho. but i dont complain, /stick is really screwed, yes
 

Fadeh

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 14, 2004
Messages
737
opium said:
Ok, I dont think im a FPS player, played, QW, Q2, Q3 & CS in the "elitleagues", various of being in 2 national teams. Mkay.
Face works for me, as ive noticed, sometimes its abit slow tho. but i dont complain, /stick is really screwed, yes
Haha, grats mate. You are truely uber.

Just nooby to play Q2. QW >> Q2 back then. Oh well..
 

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
1,774
opium said:
I dont feel that im trying to be funny, just try realise, WHY WOULD MYTHIC THEN INVENT THE STRAFE ABILITY, and just because some knows how to strafe better then others, then they are retarded and lame, makes no sense to me.
rolling

on

floor

laughing

my

ass

off
 

Puppet

Resident Freddy
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,232
Fadeh said:
Yes i have used strafe to hit a positional. But yet again, what exactly has that to do with anything? Its not like people use this thing to avoid positionals. They use it to avoid hits at all. Which is abit over the top imo.

If you make him not styling. Yes, that means you are a bug abusing mfer.

You do what you want. But dont expect all to like it.
Ok. I run it down to you:

a) When I strafe I still get killed. Which means Im still taking damage. Yet it takes them longer to kill me. Eg. with strafing I lower the damage dealt to me; but not entirely cancel it out. I die anyhow; so Im only reducing damage done to me; not nullifying.

b) You strafe to do more damage (by getting in position to do a better style; eg a side-positional).


So when I analyze this correctly: It is ok for a tank to strafe to do more damage but its not ok to strafe to reduce damage done to you.

Well Im pretty sure that suits offensive tanks just fine; no wonder that you dont like strafing. Casters dont like you using buffbot-resists, does this stop you doing that? Nope.

From my point-of-view your reasoning why strafing is lame is nothing more then being a hypocrit who dislikes all which gives him personally a harder time; but doing something similar which is beneficial to you is fine (eg. buffbot-resists; or strafing to land a positional on an enemy).
 

Freppe

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
629
Muh said:
You really think mythic meant for /face and /stick to be lagged, so that
you get out of view when using them?

And as for your movie, try getting some extra weapons with backup poisons etc, maybe then you wouldnt have to keep doing your lameass
"run through & /stick" routine to win fights.
Theres no chance in heaven any good NS can go toe to toe without using AP against Infils. And no I didnt win cus i run through ppl, since I get not in view in the fights aswell, just as much as they do. = equal.
 

Freppe

Fledgling Freddie
Joined
Jan 20, 2004
Messages
629
btw, strange that /face dont work for ya guys, perhaps you got some problems with ur ISP. It mostly work for me, if the person im fighting dont drag window or got serious lag. Havent played since last patch tho so i dno.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom