Things that confuse me...

B

BlitheringIdiot

Started playing the game today and I love it (except for the awful controls!) but there are a few things that I dont understand/cant do.

1) I keep seeing 'your blahblahblah skill has gone up by 0.2'. How can I see what my skills are at, or do I have to just wait for them to raise another lvl.

2) Should my skills be at the same lvl as me? I am lvl5 but sword is at lvl3, is this bad?

3) How exactly do auctions work, sharma told me to go get a shield and after about 25mins of explaining things to me I eventually got one. But I bid 128g (all my money) and got it 5secs later, but all the past purchases had been at 400g+. Did I rip someone off? Did they agree to the purchase?

4) I have this clay seal thing, I cant sell it and I cant equipt it anywhere. What does it do?

5) I had a go at fishing, spent all my money on a rod and 3 bits of bait, didnt catch anything at all. Then I caught three thing, the first two got away and the third one snapped my rod! :( Did I do something wrong or is fishing really that stupid?

6) When fighting something I first have to select it, then press alt+c to check its lvl, then crtl+A, then run at it. This is quite hard as it isnt easy to click on things in this game. Are there other ways to do it (everyone else does it faster than me, always stealing my mobs!).

7) Can I change the cursor at all, sometimes I catually cant see it because of its colour and its semi-see-through.

8) Any chance they might make the game 'alt-tabable'? Or am I doomed to logging out every time I need to whine about stuff?

(I stood at the auction house for 5mins waiting for the shutters to open as I thought it was closed, with that level of stupidty in mind - please try to explain these things in simple terms, otherwise I may just die of confusion.)

S

Sharma

Originally posted by BlitheringIdiot

2) Should my skills be at the same lvl as me? I am lvl5 but sword is at lvl3, is this bad?

Errr i think so yes, my skill of weps at five normally is about double my level. :p

You need to kill decent challenges. :)

B

BlitheringIdiot

Re: Re: Things that confuse me...

Originally posted by Sharma
Errr i think so yes, my skill of weps at five normally is about double my level. :p

You need to kill decent challenges. :)

It took me 2 hours to work out how to detemine what level something was, and then I only worked it out because you told me!

So will my weapon skill catch up or will it always be too low until 70 now?

Also is there a shield skill? I havent gained anything in that at all. I think Ive got evade at 3, sword at 3 and parry at 2.

S

Sharma

You can always change jobs and try and up your skill from that job for a bit. :p

W

Whisperess

"Started playing the game today and I love it (except for the awful controls!) but there are a few things that I dont understand/cant do."
> You'll get used to the controls after a while :) Just - don't try using the mouse and you'll be ok :)

"1) I keep seeing 'your blahblahblah skill has gone up by 0.2'. How can I see what my skills are at, or do I have to just wait for them to raise another lvl."
> You can view it if you check your status - then you can see combat skills. ( not decimal points though, only full levels )

"2) Should my skills be at the same lvl as me? I am lvl5 but sword is at lvl3, is this bad?"
> They should generally be higher than you, I've got 23 Hand-to-Hand at level 8, how do you kill your enemies? I got 10+ staff on my caster, so I'm not sure how you're killing your enemies :) ( you change weapon a lot? )

"3) How exactly do auctions work, sharma told me to go get a shield and after about 25mins of explaining things to me I eventually got one. But I bid 128g (all my money) and got it 5secs later, but all the past purchases had been at 400g+. Did I rip someone off? Did they agree to the purchase?"
> They set a reserve price - that's the minimum they want for the item. Any bid at or above that reserve price equals a sold item - so if you ripped someone off, they only have themselves to blame.

"4) I have this clay seal thing, I cant sell it and I cant equipt it anywhere. What does it do?"
> Look through the bid-section and see if you can find it there somewhere - check the price history and then sell it at the AH :) ( auction house )

"6) When fighting something I first have to select it, then press alt+c to check its lvl, then crtl+A, then run at it. This is quite hard as it isnt easy to click on things in this game. Are there other ways to do it (everyone else does it faster than me, always stealing my mobs!)."
> Like I said at the top, don't use the mouse :) Use '0' on the numeric keypad to pick targets - much much easier ( most of the time ) :)

"8) Any chance they might make the game 'alt-tabable'? Or am I doomed to logging out every time I need to whine about stuff?"
> Will most likely never happen.

Hope any of this helps :)

E

ECA

erm DONT get rid of the clay seal its a quest item.

Go and visit an info site to find out what.

B

BlitheringIdiot

Originally posted by Whisperess
They should generally be higher than you, I've got 23 Hand-to-Hand at level 8, how do you kill your enemies? I got 10+ staff on my caster, so I'm not sure how you're killing your enemies :) ( you change weapon a lot? )
Erm no, perhaps Im just confusing myself or something... I leveled from 1-4 on the same mobs though, as I figured id get mor emoney that way. Apparantly your skills dont increase if the mob isnt a challenging one.

Hope any of this helps :)
Yup! :D Helps loads thanks.

Originally posted by ECA
erm DONT get rid of the clay seal its a quest item.

Go and visit an info site to find out what.

I think its called the 'Beastman Seal'. I cant find it anywhere on allakhazam. Ill go see if any are being sold at the AH.

Although I did find that pretty much every piece of loot can be handed into certain people for more money that its sell value, which is nice.

B

BlitheringIdiot

Originally posted by old.Dillinja
I really need a bloody scythe.

Go buy one from the Auction House, if you are lucky you might get one cheap.

Oh and when someone /tells you ingame, dont ignore them! :p

B

BlitheringIdiot

Hmm well err yeah.

Turns out Ive got:

13 Sword
13 Parry
3 Evade
2 Shield

If I kill lvl2ish mobs will my shield raise?

E

ECA

ok 2 things.

There are at least 2 clay seals.

1. Beastman seals: used to enter certain battles later, these are quite important. Stock in piles of 12 in your mog safe.

2. The quest clay seal, used to imprint from ruins and returned to quest giver to obtain money.

O

old.Dillinja

Originally posted by BlitheringIdiot
Go buy one from the Auction House, if you are lucky you might get one cheap.

Oh and when someone /tells you ingame, dont ignore them! :p

Did you /tell me? I might've been in combat and it might've just slipped past, sorry. :p

B

BlitheringIdiot

Originally posted by ECA
ok 2 things.

There are at least 2 clay seals.

1. Beastman seals: used to enter certain battles later, these are quite important. Stock in piles of 12 in your mog safe.

2. The quest clay seal, used to imprint from ruins and returned to quest giver to obtain money.
<pretends to understand>

Ill just stick them in my safe.

Originally posted by old.Dillinja
Did you /tell me? I might've been in combat and it might've just slipped past, sorry. :p
I only /telled Brockie about 200 times, you were definetly online but no reply... :(

O

old.Dillinja

Lool... Really sorry mate, what's your ingame name? I'll /tell you next time I'm on. :)

Btw will we not be able to group because I'm Bastok and you guys are Windhurst? If so that sucks, but I've decided that I'm gonna stay here for now. :)

B

BlitheringIdiot

I asked sharma that earlier and he just confused me.

Apparantly we can still group and we are only sort of enemies... I think we do quests and stuff to take land off of each other but we dont actually fight each other.

/shrug

W

Whisperess

You're not enemies per se, just part of different nations that each strive to claim more land from the beastmen to benefit the trade in your home nation. ( tip: read the manual and official website ;) )

There's nothing stopping you from grouping, just that some quests/missions won't be available to all of you in the group. And if Dil later on would want to join sides with you in all aspects, it's possible to transfer to a different nation, although not cheap/easy.

I don't know about Bismarck, but on Pandemonium/Windurst, weapons usually sell much cheaper in the store than at the AH :/
( atleast Hand-to-Hand weapons, 196 gil in store compared to 500 at AH for Cat Baghnakhs )

O

old.Dillinja

I bought a brass scythe from the auction house today, the going rate was around 1300g but I got it for 1000g, not bad eh? ;)

Only downside is I can't use it until level 10 (currently level 7) so I will just have to continue with my standard sword till then.

T

Tilda

1) I keep seeing 'your blahblahblah skill has gone up by 0.2'. How can I see what my skills are at, or do I have to just wait for them to raise another lvl.

press numpad - to opem menu, press numpad enter to open status, go down to melee(?) skills press numpad enter again view melee(?) skills

When a skill turns blue to you thats good, idealy it should be above your level: ie, i am lvl 12 BLM, with 35(I think) elemental skill

3) How exactly do auctions work, sharma told me to go get a shield and after about 25mins of explaining things to me I eventually got one. But I bid 128g (all my money) and got it 5secs later, but all the past purchases had been at 400g+. Did I rip someone off? Did they agree to the purchase?

Not too sure on this myself, they didnt agree to your purchase but they had set a reserve price below or at what you offered.

4) I have this clay seal thing, I cant sell it and I cant equipt it anywhere. What does it do?

press numpad - go to items, find the seal, press enter, see if you can use it.
If not, put it in vault for later questing

5) I had a go at fishing, spent all my money on a rod and 3 bits of bait, didnt catch anything at all. Then I caught three thing, the first two got away and the third one snapped my rod! :( Did I do something wrong or is fishing really that stupid?

dunno, havent tried fishing yet

6) When fighting something I first have to select it, then press alt+c to check its lvl, then crtl+A, then run at it. This is quite hard as it isnt easy to click on things in this game. Are there other ways to do it (everyone else does it faster than me, always stealing my mobs!).

Numberpad 0 to change targets between mobs, then numpad enter and zip with arrow keys down to check, then up to attack if its ok.

7) Can I change the cursor at all, sometimes I catually cant see it because of its colour and its semi-see-through.

In FFXI confi, use the hardware cursor, that fixed it for me.

8) Any chance they might make the game 'alt-tabable'? Or am I doomed to logging out every time I need to whine about stuff?

dunno

(I stood at the auction house for 5mins waiting for the shutters to open as I thought it was closed, with that level of stupidty in mind - please try to explain these things in simple terms, otherwise I may just die of confusion.)

W

Whisperess

Originally posted by Tilda
Numberpad 0 to change targets between mobs, then numpad enter and zip with arrow keys down to check, then up to attack if its ok.
Alt+C for check and Ctrl+A for attack works too, matter of preference :)

D

denser

Re: Re: Re: Things that confuse me...

Alt+C for check and Ctrl+A for attack works too, matter of preference :)

F8 works for targetting mobs in combat also, and F9 for friendlies just like DAoC

F

Frubly

Did you know if you alt + tab while on a chocobo you go ld (as per) but when you log back on your still on said chocobo :clap:

J

Jaxal

little tip : go to the second main menu, hit playonline (temporary logout) and u'll go to the playonline viewer
from there u can alt - tab back to windows

but not for long, it disconnects u after a while

F

Frubly

Originally posted by Jaxal
little tip : go to the second main menu, hit playonline (temporary logout) and u'll go to the playonline viewer
from there u can alt - tab back to windows

but not for long, it disconnects u after a while

I think the disconnection can be adjusted in the config menu mine used to be on half an hour idle time I just set it to never disconnect.

J

Jaxal

thats a different thing, i've set it to never disconnect

if u alt tab while being temporary logged out and u wait too long to get back to the game, u get a network error

Users who are viewing this thread