The "My console is better than yours!" thread™ mkII

I <name> do swear that I am a fanboy for...

• Microsoft

Votes: 155 45.1%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 131 38.1%
  • Sony

Votes: 118 34.3%

• Total voters

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's back...

What was once, shall now be again. Restrict thy bitching and fanboy statements to this thread only please where your opinion of the greatness of a particular console shall be celebrated in the only possible way it can be... with intolerant replies and bitching from others who don't share your opinion.

Who will win, new poll feature lets you decide! (It's even multiple choice :eek6: )

mkII™ - It's better than the first one & sounds less naff than "two point o"

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
  1. You stole from me
  2. This was requested
  3. I can delete yours if you like....
;)

leggy

Probably Scottish
edited :/

Once fully awoken that looked extremely gay.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Scooba da Bass said:
Nintendo should win as their management is totally and utterly insane.

Releasing a console after the PS2 which is less powerful and has a much smaller collection of games a majority of which Nintendo made themselves and are also loosing masses of money because of that?

Heh. :p

babs

Can't get enough of FH
less powerful:confused:

As much as I like my PS2, the selection of games available at launch and for the first few months was pitiful and lacking in quality. As far as losing lots of money go, unless I'm mistaken Nintendo have only posted an end of year loss once (and that was written off as just being because of a particularly bad exchange rate), are still second in the world in terms of installed userbase and have managed it whilst operating in the black and not having bottomless pockets full of cash to throw at it.

If there's one thing you can accuse them of though it's piss-poor marketing in Europe.

(I'm assuming this is the kind of post you're looking for in here? ;))

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Sharma said:
Nintendo took a pretty farked up approach to the GameCube. ;)
According to many developers, it's Sony who took the farked-up approach. Over 4 years since the PS2 arrived and they still can't fully utilise the emotion engine. 16 pixel pipelines are chuff all use when you bottleneck before you even get to them.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
A nice, to the point comparison of GC/PS2 power:

The hard facts: Nintendo claims the GameCube can do 12 million polygons a second peak performance. That's pretty nice. Sega claims that Virtua
Fighter 4 runs at 63 million polygons a second on the PS2. That's where you have someone remind you that you're drooling.

(edit: As this seems to be the most disputed part of the essay, I contacted a few programmers who are actually working on the GameCube. The consensus was that the GameCube is easier to make better looking games on in a short time, but if given longer the PS2 would outperform it. Another point raised was that the GameCube has 24MB of RAM that can easily be used for program data. The rest is reserved for audio and is too slow to be used for anything useful. They would like to send out a big thank-you to Nintendo on that complete lack of foresight.)

Well, that should make the Nintendo die-hards a bit more...hush-hush? :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
IIRC Nintendo always quoted their figures with all effects applied to the polygons, Sony and MS both quote plain poly shifting, no lighting etc. used.
The PS2's Graphics Synthesizer is entirely too dependent on extreme parallelism in order to fill its 16 pixel pipelines which could be the cause of many of the slowdowns we've seen in games for the platform. Many of Electronic Arts' titles have been ported to both GameCube and Xbox and the first thing everyone seems to notice is that the slowdown problems that existed with the PS2 are now gone.
The GameCube is very efficiently designed and is undoubtedly cheaper to manufacture because of the Gekko/Flipper chips; with the exception of the Xbox it is leaps and bounds beyond the other consoles
We can argue all day nipping quotes from here, there and everywhere. As your snippet says, given longer maybe they can get more from the PS2 than they do, but from what I remember Sony's machine is awkward to program for and publishers are far from obliging when it comes to giving more time to a game.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Quite right, but i like my driving games, and will soon own a Logitech Driving force wheel, and with the new wave of driving games coming to the PS2 (Burnout 3, Juiced, GT4, NFS: Underground 2 - yes it'll come!, not to mention WRC IV), i'll be most happy. :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Eww NFS:U2, the first was fun for 5 minutes, but then...

This looks a lot nicer, will be nice to see what customization options are there and how it looks moving.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Looks like SRS's been cancelled for the GC.

:D

Source:

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=6151

Until now it was believed that Namco's game Street Racing Syndicate was coming to the GameCube, but now it seems that the game will in fact be heading to PS2 and Xbox only.“SRS will be available for PS2 and Xbox, not the GameCube" was the official, somewhat terse statement Namco gave.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
babs said:

Me too :D

I wanna stick it inside an old Macintosh that I have lying around - playing my own little version of snake on a console which I built myself that's cased in the sexiest damn case ev4r(!1) sounds tremendous fun :)

Either that, or I'll attempt to make a handheld console.

So many things to do, yet so little time to do them in. :(

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
well imo it goes gamecube as best then x box then ps2. this is because game cubes have there own personality e.g mines a fucking hard ass bastered that wont let me win anything and on some other people's there game cube lets them win game's n that easy. X box's have names which makes em 2nd and ps2 aint got anything so there the worst ;)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Heh, we're talking power as in the power of the hardware, not how much it consumes ;)

That said, hardware wise it does sit at the top of the crop - but noones arguing that.

As to the PS2 vs Cube - Nintendo DO quote their throughput with texture filtering and smoothing applied, something which the PS2 doesn't have true native support for. Gecko and Flipper combined are quite a powerful little duo and the PS2's emotion engine / graphics synthesizer frame-for-frame are a long way behind.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
GC - It's just fun.

The XBox seems rather, "Phwooooaaaar! I r teh lete ubrah g3m0r!", while the PS2 seems rather boring. The GC, however, seems fun :)

Oh, and it doesn't consume half of your living room :p

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
The Ps2 has the nicest looking chip in it. The emotion Engine is a thing of beauty. I can testify it is indeed the nicest looking console on 'the inside' They dont look pretty mangled tho.

Stuff%20(1).JPG

And to gloat....

Stuff%20(3).JPG

They all good consoles. Nothing else to say.

Except yes, the PS2 is the prettiest on the 'inside'. Silly thread.

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Doomy said:
And to gloat....

<Two X-Boxes>

They all good consoles. Nothing else to say.

What are you gloating about? That just looks like a mess. :p

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
It just got far worse. Im starting a website about consoles and stuff and i just had to add loads more cabling to go with my vid capture card.....

In fact you guys are right. My mission for tonight is the sorting of these cables.... I have nothing to gloat about.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
You need 3 more Gamecubes, 14 more pads, some adapters, a bunch of mates, 4 copies of Mario super circuit you can have a 16 player race!!!11.

Wish i had friends with gamecubes...or just friends for that matter :(

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Xavier said:
Anand proved how little he knows with this article tbh.

Anyway, PS2 is clearly the best I'm afraid. It has the best line-up of games (unless you're stuck in 1991 and must still have your Mario), the best developers and of course, the most market penetration. Now before Ninty and Xflop lamers start screaming "But SAELZ != GOOD!!!!"!", remember, the more they sell of the console you own, the longer you'll still be able to get games for it.

Sorry chaps, Sony are the undisputed number 1 of the games console world, in both quality and quantity. To buy any other console instead is just kidding yourself.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
The only kidding of yourself is thinking you can play the best examples of each genre on one machine. It just doesn't happen. Fair enough if all the genres you really like are covered on one machine and none of the others have better examples, but that would make you incredibly lucky. I'd be lying if I said so.

There's nothing wrong with succesful franchises either, knocking mario indeed ;) If there's one thing owning a PS2 should have taught you it's that the sequels tend to better and refine their predecessors on consoles. Look at the fuss surrounding GT4 at the moment, everyone desperatly waiting for an update to a game 6 years old now. Or perhaps you meant there's a certain age where games cease to have credibility or be fun? How old is that now?
Anand proved how little he knows with this article tbh.
How?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom