The Living Room PC - anyone else done it?

soze

I am a FH squatter
If I did not get the Chromecast for free (not free but £24.99 for Got4 in HD and the Chromecast) it would be going back it is a bit pointless needing to stream everything form another device, but I though I would give it a go anyway and it could still prove useful eventually.

I installed RaspPlex and it shit out under 10 minutes into a film 5 times running. I then installed OpenELEC on the RPi and the interface is still a little slow but it is playing everything first time and perfectly. I will give it a week but this could have saved me £250 (by the time I add a FLIRC)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
If I did not get the Chromecast for free (not free but £24.99 for Got4 in HD and the Chromecast) it would be going back it is a bit pointless needing to stream everything form another device, but I though I would give it a go anyway and it could still prove useful eventually.

It doesn't actually stream from another device. The phone/tablet/browser just tells the chromecast where to stream from (netflix plex etc) but that's it. Once playback starts on the chromecast you can do whatever you want with the device that initiated it.

Eg I load netflix on my phone, connect to chromecast and start a film. Chromecast now handles the streaming, I can turn the phone off if I want. Its no longer involved in the steaming.

Its the best little gadget I've bought in ages.

soze

I am a FH squatter
It doesn't actually stream from another device. The phone/tablet/browser just tells the chromecast where to stream from (netflix plex etc) but that's it. Once playback starts on the chromecast you can do whatever you want with the device that initiated it.

Eg I load netflix on my phone, connect to chromecast and start a film. Chromecast now handles the streaming, I can turn the phone off if I want. Its no longer involved in the steaming.

Its the best little gadget I've bought in ages.
My testing so far from Chrome on the Laptop is different. I hit play and if I close the tab the stream is gone. I will play with Apps on the phone.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

I installed RaspPlex and it shit out under 10 minutes into a film 5 times running. I then installed OpenELEC on the RPi and the interface is still a little slow but it is playing everything first time and perfectly. I will give it a week but this could have saved me £250 (by the time I add a FLIRC)
RasPlex is OpenElec so I'd have to wonder if your server was trying to transcode unnecessarily?

soze

I am a FH squatter
RasPlex is OpenElec so I'd have to wonder if your server was trying to transcode unnecessarily?
I think so. I mentioned somewhere my Plex Library seems to be broken so it would not surprise me if other parts of the install are a bit hit and miss after being moved about so much.

At the moment I will stick with XBMC with SB and CP telling it to update the Library when they post process I should not have the old problems with the slow updates but time will tell.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Leggy you sexy manbeast, how are you getting on with yours? Anything particularly good or bad you've found?

leggy

Probably Scottish
Babsington. It's fast as fuck and seriously quiet but the case is too big (for a m-atx). That'll teach me for not measuring! Saying that, I can still easily hide it behind the TV unit.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
@babs @leggy Mine is also brilliant but it hasn't seen any gameplay yet, I am an absolutely useless cunt at the minute, have all the bit's (Xbox wireless dongle for the controller, wireless mouse etc, games given as gifts by bestest chums) but I simply haven't got round to playing owt yet. I did quit my job last week though :D and I am hoping to go back to my old job part time so I can look after my mum more and also have some me time for once in about 6 years so that should give me at least an hour a week to play :/ another side thought of the HTPC was for the new footy season and IPTV, I am thinking of paying subs to a provider to get their Premier League coverage for the 3pm kick off's etc but I need to look into that some more.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I get bt sport, paid separately as I don't have bt broadband, and its very good.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Another handy little thing for @leggy and @Trem

Install an app like Wake On Lan on your android phones. Run it while the pc is on to find it with a scan, give it a friendly name and then drop a widget for it on your home screen.

Walk in to the room, tap the widget and the pc is on and ready to go, even works from power off, not just sleep, if you ended up with same mobo as me at least.

I know wake on lan is nothing new, but its a nice way of doing it :)

leggy

Probably Scottish
Another handy little thing for @leggy and @Trem

Install an app like Wake On Lan on your android phones. Run it while the pc is on to find it with a scan, give it a friendly name and then drop a widget for it on your home screen.

Walk in to the room, tap the widget and the pc is on and ready to go, even works from power off, not just sleep, if you ended up with same mobo as me at least.

I know wake on lan is nothing new, but its a nice way of doing it :)

Thanks babs already done this for my microserver and was planning to do it for the new PC. I'll get everything back up and running as soon as my ex-fiance pisses off out the house on Saturday!

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Oops, sorry chap, I had no idea

leggy

Probably Scottish
Hey no drama here chum :) ... I'm sure the plethora of new games and my right hand will keep me occupied for a while. *must not get fat again*

Trem

Now it's semi private @leggy what the fuck happened with your wife? She was sweet iirc. Was the HTPC a step too far?

Nice one @babs that is useful, I do have a hibernate thing on my keyboard which works great.....for about 30 seconds then the poota turns itself back fucking on again :eek: I do have the same mobo as you don't I?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I'm not sure how I'd know that :eek:

Other than that time I had a look when I got bored rifling through the pants drawer when I snuck in that time.

Trem

I'm not sure how I'd know that :eek:

Other than that time I had a look when I got bored rifling through the pants drawer when I snuck in that time.

Because you were involved in the buying and the building of it you vacuous headed troll :eek:

Pffft I bollocked Samm as well for not trimming her pubic's, I saw a right big clump of beard hanging out of her pants and now I know why!

babs

Can't get enough of FH
If its the same as me then yeah, it'll work just fine :)

Trem

@babs when I called you a troll I meant in the Lord of the Rings sense not in the internet-making-me-hang-myself sense, I am sure you knew that but fuck me mate, I am starting to really worry about shit that I say way more than I used to.

:(

leggy

Probably Scottish
@Trem - It sounds clichéd but we were just too similar. We had all the same destructive traits despite sharing a lot of the good ones. The length of time between the fun just got longer and longer, so we decided to call it a day. It was the right decision and I stand by it, despite it hurting like a motherfucker :)

Trem

@Jupitus cheers my snuggly tiny little chum :D *wub*

@leggy I hear ya mate, you went through it with me roughly 11 years ago, yes it worked out in the end but fuck me the pain was incredible. Also a cliche but you never know chum, you just never know what this break may bring up......if you want it of course. In my fucked up head the only thing that hurt's me as much is when I lose a dog (like I did a few weeks back, which started a chain of events which now leaves me unemployed :D ), honestly my dad dying didn't come close to either of those things but maybe that's because he was a bit of a bell end when I was a kid :eek:

babs

Can't get enough of FH
@babs when I called you a troll I meant in the Lord of the Rings sense not in the internet-making-me-hang-myself sense, I am sure you knew that but fuck me mate, I am starting to really worry about shit that I say way more than I used to.

:(
Ffs chap, as if that's going to bother me. I'd imagine leggy is going to be far more offended when I ask if I can have a quick go on his ex.

@leggy...

Trem

Ffs chap, as if that's going to bother me. I'd imagine leggy is going to be far more offended when I ask if I can have a quick go on his ex.

@leggy...

Do we even have to ask now she's his ex? I'm not sure about the rule's on that. Possibly worth testing the water then see how he reacts after?

Edit - It's weird you know @leggy I have a friend in my FB friends who would be perfect for you, yes she is with someone but one look at your fit Scottish face and she would dump the flid she is with in a heartbeat, I am not sure why I have these matchmaking thoughts (especially seeing as she is fucking mindblowing I daren't tell you which name in my friends list to search for in case it get's seen on the internets somehow, I might PM you just so you can perv).

Trem

I'm gonna have to PM you now as well aren't I @babs ?

leggy

Probably Scottish
@Trem @babs

Knock yourself out fuckers :)

Someone else is already tapping it.... luckily I got in first to ease the pain.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
...I have a friend in my FB friends who would be perfect for you, yes she is with someone but one look at your fit Scottish face and she would dump the flid she is with in a heartbeat...
Is it Samm? I know you're friends with Samm on Facebook because I've seen her telling you off. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom