The Living Room PC - anyone else done it?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't think it's device related, as I've noticed stuttering playing FLAC's through the PS3, and tracks seem to take a lot longer to load than when I was running Homestream off my desktop. I am wondering if the old laptop I'm using is the issue, it's got a good enough spec (Core 2 Duo P7500, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb HDD), but a 7 year old installation of Vista Home Premium, I'm wondering if that is the issue.

More testing required I feel!
Gut says would be a networking glitch, my nas runs an amd neo processor and doesn't have this issue.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Had this problem with a failing hard disk in my HP microserver. Resolved with a WD Red disk.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Had this problem with a failing hard disk in my HP microserver. Resolved with a WD Red disk.

Wouldn't shock me if the disk on the laptop is on the way out, it is 7 years old. I have a new 500Gb waiting to go in, but apparently painting the flat is a priority......

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Sexy times! What case and gpu did you go for?

leggy

Probably Scottish
Got a Bitfenix Prodigy and a GTX 770 2Gb. It won't fit under the TV but I really liked it :)

I was thinking of getting an unclockable i5 but ended up getting the 4670k instead.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Bloody bastards :(

If I get what you have got lovers (in this thread) as a HTPC would it also play the games that you sexy donkeys are on at the minute as well (@leggy @babs )? Can one of you please make me a list like babs did earlier on in the thread or should I just use @babs list? I can build the buggers still no problem at all I just don't know what goes with what anymore and I simply don't have the space in my brain to fit the new stuff in if I go away and read about specs and volts and slots and cheese etc (trust me I have tried).

It's my day off, you could be part of my divorce proceedings if you make the list for me before Samm gets home!!

leggy

Probably Scottish
Hey Tremlove. I would pretty much go with @babs' list. I think some saving (50 quid) could be made on the gfx card (maybe those GTX 750ti cards?) and still run modern games. I wouldn't personally sack off the SSD option after seeing the performance boost I got from installing one in an old laptop.

If it's still too expensive give us a shout :)

It would be most excellent to CS with you guys again :).

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you fucks are going Counter Striking again, I wants in.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
If you fucks are going Counter Striking again, I wants in.

Me too!
I have just started playing cs go and I am very rusty! I have also lost all my key and buy binds so still working all that out again.

Ive not really played cs now for almost 4 years :(

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I recently bought this setup

Corsair 540 air ( quite large case but awesome! )
i5 4670k
Asus Z97A motherboard
Nvidia GTX760
8GB ram

It runs sooooo smoothly and very fast.

Trem

I have ordered @babs setup minus the normal HD, don't need that and I ordered the 84w CPU that is a bit faster and only a few quid dearer. I did that because I don't care about wasting leccy and I thought it seemed silly not to. Someone is going to tell me I have fucked up now aren't they? I got this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CV3E3WK/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also got a slim internal BR drive as well, just thinking about doing away with clutter (only just bought this kick ass BR player as well so if anyone wants to buy one.....).

Everything should be with me tomorrow Amazon Prime ftw!

Oh, and I got the same card as babbington but mine is by Asus as MSi have the AIDS and Amazon didn't have any in stock anyway.

Now, once it's built I just need to find the time then I should be bumming you all rotten again on CS, I miss it so much and I really need the release of something nowadays and that would do me just nicely.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
After waxing lyrical about how awesome the Z was as a living room PC, the requirement for a media server and the other half deciding she wanted to watch US Netflix, we have now got a living room PC. Gaming wasn't really an issue (the PS3 is for that) so we could afford to do it on the cheap, so out came the old Samsung laptop I had lying around ready to be put back into action. Spec is

Core 2 Duo P7350
4Gb RAM
500Gb HD
Geforce 9600M GS

I loaded it up with a copy of Windows 8.1 and it is flying. All the problems I had been having with Plex vanished (think the old HDD was on the way out), and it's throwing 1080p content around the network with gay abandon. Only issue I've found is thanks to the GPU, it can get bloody hot when doing anything intensive, like loading 130Gb of music into Plex. It peaks around 90 C at times, still stable, but I'm guessing it can't be good for longevity. I hardly use my old desktop any more so I'll probably get a HTPC case to put the bits in, but for now the laptop is working a treat. Windows 8.1 ain't too bad either, as long as you don't press Start. Then it goes horribly wrong....

leggy

Probably Scottish
Please bum penetrate me at CS .

You don't know how happy this makes me :)

CPU is fine I think. I got the overclockable one and bummed it to 4GHz.

I need 999fps to play cs right?

Trem

I can strikez the counterz up on my big telly can't I? Fuck it, I don't remember how it's meant to look so of course I can.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Well we have 7 players at least and Scouse.... it was worth a try :)

My clan will be called [MouseRat].... feel free to join. We're old and shit.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I can strikez the counterz up on my big telly can't I? Fuck it, I don't remember how it's meant to look so of course I can.
You can indeed, there's even a 'tv' option in the graphics settings to brighten it up to make it more playable

babs

Can't get enough of FH
now get on steam you massive tart and add me!

Trem

Give me chance you horrendous cow, my bloody stuff hasn't cocking arrived yet :eek: It's coming today, it will be built today, there will be rages today, it will be running by tonight and Steam will be on by tonight also (Samm in Cardiff all weekend and the kids at their nans, go me!). It has all been timed to perfection. For once in my life I have been organised.

@leggy bloody mouserat? *sigh* ok then, my new CS name is going to be Beril though Beril or Maureen. Oooh we should all have old women names, babs is already sorted and he already acts like one.

Edit - I am really am in trouble here leggington, I can't even find the fucking CS part of the forum and I'm meant to be a fucking mod :(

Last edited:

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Steam sale is on Trem, lots of good shit for not much

Trem

What the shit was @leggy on about then the bloody tartan covered spackjock?

babs

Can't get enough of FH
He wanted one you soft-headed northern man-ape

leggy

Probably Scottish
:)

I was also kidding about mouserat... I just really love that name (Parks and Rec)

Trem

Well you can both fuck off now. I shall build the PC and use it to just watch Emmerdale, I don't want to mingle with your kind :eek:

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well you can both fuck off now. I shall build the PC and use it to just watch Emmerdale, I don't want to mingle with your kind :eek:
Emmerdale... you've got a thing about diggers and farm style machinery haven't you sunshine?

Trem

I hate Emmerdale it would just be better that sociallising with nasty people like @babs and @leggy :eek:

;)

All my stuff came and then I just went bed :( I don't feel well at all right now, so this is what being dizzy feels like, how strange.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Samm withdrawal?

*snicker*

Feel better soon chum, sooner you build it sooner you can do the mandatory fap in every room.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I hate Emmerdale it would just be better that sociallising with nasty people like @babs and @leggy :eek:

;)

All my stuff came and then I just went bed :( I don't feel well at all right now, so this is what being dizzy feels like, how strange.
Plague!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom