Games The Last Remnant (PC)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Well, maybe just a bad impression from the demo then. Kinda chucks you in, dosent tell you wtf is going on, as soon as you speak to someone in the pub you are ported off to a quest, you dont have to get their yourself (is this different in the game?).

Afran

Part of the furniture
Most quests you are ported too, some you are not. Probably about 20% of the side-quests you have to get there yourself.

The demo is awful.

Corran

Part of the furniture
well just started playing this today and im enjoying it... sure i dont know the best way to sort characters etc out but then who cares. not like i ever read any instructions etc.

Should be a laugh anyways :D

Afran

Part of the furniture
Just know that by not looking how to build characters (you can find that via my posts in this very thread) you're most likely not going to be able to complete most the end-game side content as character building and stat levelling system is different to that of the usual RPG genre.

I would recommend playing through completely without reading anything at all though, and perhaps next ruin build to perfection :)

Corran

Part of the furniture
hmmm,

any good places then in which to read about how to make the most out your characters then? Trying to go through all these posts here are confusing as all over the place :p

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Just search the thread under Advanced and filter it just to show posts my Afran.

He's an oracle of tLR seemingly! :drink:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Do what you feel is best at the start mate, to be honest I did not start thinking about what I wanted my party members to do till around battle rank 35 or so.

Afran

Part of the furniture
One thing worth noting is that there are Leaders, Soldiers, and Unique Leaders. Soldiers are the NPC's you can recruit in Athlum, do not use these for as long as you can avoid them (from the start of the game if you have a few k gold), they are in no way better than (Unique) Leaders.

Unique Leaders are NPC's that are somewhat important to the game's story, whether that be main story or side-quest related, the other Leaders are generic and the difference between them, aside from Quest availability, is their potential stats, skills, and equipment. Look out for the Unique Leader's and use as many as possible (it is easy to have all Unique Leaders) for example; Rush, Torgal, Baulson, Blocter, Nora, Pagus, Emma are all Unique Leaders - Damecus, Zolean (although he seems Unique), Borran are generice Leader's and have no real benefit over a Unique Leader.

You could go really in-depth and map out your character's from the start but as I said before, I wouldn't do that in the first play through unless you're one in a million (seemingly) like I am and can't stand not to "cap" everything in every game the first time through ^^, BUT you should atleast decide whether character X is going to be a Healer, Melee (Combat Arts) or Magic DPS (Mystic) and keep them on that path. Disable all other ability school's that you haven't chosen for their main path; aside from Remedies and possibly Potions (Vivification Tincture is nice to have on multiple characers). This speeds up your ability levelling quite a lot.

Take note of what Formation's you set each Union in aswell - I said before in a previous post but I'll repeat, the stats displayed on the list of Formation's is only the statistical benefit of Rank I of the Formation, a Rank II or above Formation will still display Rank I stats, and some scale better than others - This is why it's a common misconception that Arrow of Athlum IV is pretty much the best Melee Formation in the game, in reality Battle Crown is a lot better. Apart from googling (and the list is not even complete) you won't find the stats of the upgraded ranks; It's quite fun to test yourself, though. Formations I'd recommend whilst playing through the game until end-game are Wave Crest (Mystic), Arrow of Athlum (Melee/Grinding) Hawk-Eye (Melee/Boss Fights), Nagapur Something (forgot name, this for Healing Union). Later on in the game Forcefield is a sick formation for both Mystic and Healing Formations as well as Battle Crown for Melee Formations.

Note that any "Special" weapons are only usable by certain Unique Leaders - So if they ask for it, give it to them or you'll just delay them learning the special skill related to said weapon. Only thing to watch out for here, as I've said probably 3 times already in this thread, is do not give the Larej Princeps (sp?) to Torgal that you find in The Ivory Peaks, as it has a tendancy to bug and he'll be stuck with level 5 blades until BR 100. +Rep is nice!

Corran

Part of the furniture
Just arrived at Elysion (sp?). Im currently BR5, restarted it so wasnt so much a jack of all trades. Focusing on getting Spark leveled up. Onto Spark3 at the moment on Rush.

Using 2 people from the guild (actually 3 people - got the fish dude that you help save some kid in the caves). And then got the other guys David and friends as we going to that commitee thingy. (it allowing me to have 2*3men, 1*4 men unions)

Hopefully Im not to gimped at the moment. Think keeping the BR low will mean i struggle a bit but hopefully Im not in to bad a situation.

Only time will tell. But i am enjoying playing at the moment even if im not looking into how to sort self out amazingly ... hopefully i not missed out on anything as focusing on main story at the moment.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If you want to get your stats up, then just do side quests, do not worry about restarting.

Afran

Part of the furniture
hopefully i not missed out on anything as focusing on main story at the moment.

There are "chokepoints" for side-quests, if you progress the main story too much certain side-quests will become unavailable. You've not yet missed any up to Elysion though, but go check all the Pub's & Athlum Square ;)

Corran

Part of the furniture
There are "chokepoints" for side-quests, if you progress the main story too much certain side-quests will become unavailable. You've not yet missed any up to Elysion though, but go check all the Pub's & Athlum Square ;)

aye i been checking pubs and things.
'just got to rush's father, trying to decide what to tell Emma to train in. Think it probably be combat arts

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Without trying to spoil anything, do not worry about training Emma to much, and do not waste any of your items by giving them to her.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Certainly is an enjoyable enough game.. .played it way to much today though. lol.

Still in the same place on the main storyline (Emma wants to go off with me alone - dirty bitch :p ), however im now upto BR14.

Tried to kill Dominator at br8, that didnt work, lol. Also tried to do the second mission with Violet where their wyverns and things in the city. Unfortunately couldnt quite manage that at BR10/11.

May go back and try the wyverns and co. My Unions slightly better set up now anyways with healers working a bit better. Only problem is with only 3 teams they get attacked to easily as cant keep everything off them :(

Think tomorrow after i had my blood tests I will continue the main story a little more and see what happens from there. Will keep a save set aside though incase any sidequests are lost

Afran

Part of the furniture
Before you go off with Emma, just make sure you've done:

Baulson (Athlum Pub)
Bravery and Loyalty (Athlum Pub)

Your next choke point is The Aqueducts, you'll know the area I mean when you get there. When you're told to go there, check that you have atleast 41 quests completed.

Oh and try to only kill challenging mobs if you can avoid the easier ones :) Better statgain! (More info on that in one of my previous posts)

Corran

Part of the furniture
Before you go off with Emma, just make sure you've done:

Baulson (Athlum Pub)
Bravery and Loyalty (Athlum Pub)

Your next choke point is The Aqueducts, you'll know the area I mean when you get there. When you're told to go there, check that you have atleast 41 quests completed.

Oh and try to only kill challenging mobs if you can avoid the easier ones :) Better statgain! (More info on that in one of my previous posts)

i been trying to run through areas where mobs are if i dont think they are challenging. Some mobs are still kicking my arse (flying ones in the great sands or whatever it called). It curse that is the punisher at the moment.

Not sure if if done bravery and loyalty. Will double check that, but baulsan been in my team for awhile now

Afran

Part of the furniture
Mobs only cast curse on the first round so only send one union in 1st round to take the curse ^^

Corran

Part of the furniture
Mobs only cast curse on the first round so only send one union in 1st round to take the curse ^^

ah ha, i thought they cast it the first time each union gets in line. Handy information that. Should help out :D

Corran

Part of the furniture
decided to restart, Just got to the part where going of with Emma to fun the mother again. Took me about 90minutes to rush through the story that took me about 10hrs before. Heh.

I kept myself down to BR3 so far, only side quests done though is to get Baulson and Bravery/Loyalty.

It amazing the way they coded it so the enemies are just as good as you, fights that were a bit of a struggle before seem... easier. Only problem is the inability to use decent healing stuff. May be a struggle to get throguh past the 2 bodied stone mummy thing but i give it a go.

Once Im past that point i may think aout training my people up, as i dont want to miss anything out.

THanks for all advise afran

Afran

Part of the furniture
Nest of Eagles is the real challenge on a low BR run, or most dependant on luck :p

Namul Niram is quite easy if you just spam "Attack & Heal" and have a Quadrashield/Heatershield & Commander's Rapier or some similar DPS sword at that level and equip 2x 5% HP bracers and use Hawk-Eye Formation (you get this from a guild task, obtain 2 Commeradtive Metal (sp?) and can get that at the entrance to Dillmoor.

Corran

Part of the furniture
Nest of Eagles is the real challenge on a low BR run, or most dependant on luck :p

Namul Niram is quite easy if you just spam "Attack & Heal" and have a Quadrashield/Heatershield & Commander's Rapier or some similar DPS sword at that level and equip 2x 5% HP bracers and use Hawk-Eye Formation (you get this from a guild task, obtain 2 Commeradtive Metal (sp?) and can get that at the entrance to Dillmoor.

may be able to get the 10% HP bracers with a bit of luck. Cant remember when they become available.

I have to look into the commerative medals/metal. Not done that guild quest yet.

Corran

Part of the furniture
you know, it amazing what a small number of fights can mean the difference off.

Was trying nimul at BR3, was getting my arse kicked constantly (tried like 20 times). Any crit hit was enough to kill my group and sometimes didnt get heal option even though only on 60% health.

So I started from the beginning of the mission again. Cleared the monsters on the way and got to BR4 and didnt once look even close to death (ok once, but the extra 45hp made all the difference. lol)

Corran

Part of the furniture
haha, god damn i hate Eagles Nest.

Think im going to go and level up a bit. Tried it at BR4 and was a joke, BR6 not much better, BR7 I once got them down to just 1 person left, but their overdrive vs my single squad left that could revive anyone was a quick death.

Think i need to squeeze a vivifaction in each group, even though it gimpy soldiers i need for that :(

Marc

FH is my second home
haha, god damn i hate Eagles Nest.

Think im going to go and level up a bit. Tried it at BR4 and was a joke, BR6 not much better, BR7 I once got them down to just 1 person left, but their overdrive vs my single squad left that could revive anyone was a quick death.

Think i need to squeeze a vivifaction in each group, even though it gimpy soldiers i need for that :(

Eagles nest drove me mad! I made sure I got blackout first so I could take the other unions down quicker before the 2 boss mobs joined in

Afran

Part of the furniture
I managed to do NoE at level 3 without any arcana or gae bolg ^^
Took ~50 attempts tho

Corran

Part of the furniture
I got myself up to BR9 and went back.

Got a gae bolg of on the 2nd round. Wiped the field.

Reinforcements got wiped by a gae bolg on the 4th round.

The hammer dude came at me, and the woman went for the guest squad.

Managed to get rush's squad to lock up the bloke with david squads help. Healers stayed alive for a change

(Rush was squad of 4, David 5, Healers 2 (healers cant rezz, lol, but other 2 could)

guest squad died, so sent David to get them up. The women snuck in at my healers whilst David was away rezzing. David then got back in the fight by rezzing healer squad whilst the guest deadlocked the women. Then david got into the battle.

I knew overdrive would be a bitch with aoe on the bloke so wanted to take him out first, unfortunately David squad in locking down the women so she couldnt get healers or flank meant that she died first.

Hammer dude overdrived and done 3 hammer attacks in a row killing Rush's squad and the guest team. Planned to just lock him down 1 round and then get rush up but David killed the guy as well.

So glad im finally past that bit but annoyed that Rush didnt get stat boost from it.. but no chance im going back.

Marc

FH is my second home
I am BR 37 and im having problems grinding. I am up to the "lets save Irina part", but havent started the quest yet, but I cant find any mobs where the morale bar starts all red

Afran

Part of the furniture
Hmm have you completed Cosmosmaiden quest yet? That's the best way to statgrind until BR 65-70

(Cosmosmaiden force spawns Bai Ze, kill it abandon quest re-do, to keep it short :p)

Otherwise there's the Dread Dragon's in Aveclyff (only two though, and not always there - at the bottom)
Yvalock's Nest if you've done the quest to access it, The Assistant iirc - all the rares there count as reds and there's alot once you've done step 3
Great Sand Sea is decent for the Spiritlords (the big birds)
and The Sixth Path is ok too (Terrapests/Weredragons)

Corran

Part of the furniture
I took a break from playing it after a couple quests once got through the dreaded nest (only took 35mins this morning to get through it, spent 4hrs yesterday trying at various levels. lol)

loads of quests to do before going back to the aquaducts

Corran

Part of the furniture
Afran, which leaders to you normally use in your teams?

I just got through all teh aquaduct etc. Cyclops is rather handy as provides the extra lockdown. Had to fight jager twice.

First time I got slaughtered pretty quick. Only had 3 teams and no special attacks activated so only lasted about 7 rounds.

Second time though I got cyclops up right at the start. He had both Jager and Lob attacking him which let me focus on taking out all the soldiers. Due to that i managed to actually win the fight very easily. It amazing how completely random fights can be. From impossibility to easy. Only change was to make 4 units and got cyclops up on first turn.

Rush currently an expert healer, dont see how he got that as only heals in an emergancy... guess it because he ressurects people alot.
For the life of me i cant learn any arcane skills (ie blackout). He just refuses too. But as i should soon have decided who i want to make my team up i can maybe level up somewhat and get the skills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom