Games The Last Remnant (PC)

Afran

Part of the furniture
There was a thread on this recently concerning the demo but didn't want to bump it, it's been out on the PC now since the 25th iirc and I must say it's one of the best games I've played in quite a long time. If you're looking for a fast paced, turn-based RPG (yes I said them in the same sentance), with a decent storyline, fun and plentiful sidequests with top notch graphics/audio to match, I highly recommend giving this game a go :)

Corran

Part of the furniture
I have to give this a look.. amoungst the games im playing currently is Witcher. Wanted a long open RPG and it seems to fit the bill, ok it what, a 2005 game but it been updated and rereleased and often the older ones are better as more depth to them :D

What is the basic story to Last Remnant (as in what do you know at the start?). Cant be bothered to go looking. lol

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Hmm certainly looks good, does it have alot ot side quests/unlocks like final fantasy games tho :p? thats the big question, twil be mint if it does.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Hdoes it have alot ot side quests/unlocks like final fantasy games tho :p?

Hell yes, more than FF's even. Practically every time I go check the old areas I pick up a new side-quest or complete an achivement

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
The battle system is pretty damn awesome too. And the graphics, yummy!

Corran

Part of the furniture
square enix...didnt even read beyond them two words.... it a must play if they done it. lol

Afran

Part of the furniture
Played for like 250h now, just got to the start of the second CD, done everything possible thus far, but still, huge game ^^

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Hell yes, more than FF's even. Practically every time I go check the old areas I pick up a new side-quest or complete an achivement

Not bad, what about extra bosses? like the weapons in final fantasy :p? give details damn you Afran :D us final fantasy addicts wish to know more.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Not bad, what about extra bosses? like the weapons in final fantasy :p? give details damn you Afran :D us final fantasy addicts wish to know more.

I'm not yet at end-game so I'm not sure if there are "ultimate" bosses like the Emerald Weapon etc from FF7, there are however a lot of side-quests that involve killing additional bosses (some of which are very challenging), and a fuckton of rare monsters in every zone, literally 8 or more per zone, even the small zones. The way rare spawns work in this game is, once you zone in, there's a chance for them to be spawned, if they're not, you'll either have to zone out/back in, or meet certain conditions to force a spawn, i.e. Kill 3 spiders, followed by a Scavenger and then two Imps, like in Blackdale to fight the Dominator. Side-quest bosses are a different story, they're always up and 90% of the time you're teleported upon acceptance of the quest to the correct area.

There's also guild achivements for just about every rare spawn, you have access to one guild by default and can unlock two more - Each have unique achivements, rewards for said achivements depend on the difficulty of the one you completed, and damn there's a lot of them :) You also have ranks within each guild, and as you gain ranks you get access to the more challenging achivements.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I just started playing this today, not usually my type of game, but I enjoyed the demo and enjoying the it so far. Only an hour or so in though.

Afran

Part of the furniture
The demo is a bit crap tbh because it throws you in randomly and doesn't explain wtf to do :p

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
that's true. tbh other than the visuals I didn't particularly enjoy the demo, and had no idea at all how to manage my parties effectively. after a while I found the battles repetitive and boring, with the only challenge being attracting more monsters to bash until someone died.

your comments may swing me though, I'm well aware that full games can be much more awesome than a demo.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Gah! is there anyway to skip long cutscenes? Got a cutscene before a battle I am having trouble winning, annoying watching it through every time.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I just started playing this today, not usually my type of game, but I enjoyed the demo and enjoying the it so far. Only an hour or so in though.
But..but... it's not available in the UK till the 9th of April! I sense tomfoolery!

Afran

Part of the furniture
Gah! is there anyway to skip long cutscenes? Got a cutscene before a battle I am having trouble winning, annoying watching it through every time.

Pause the game and then press the skip cutscene button, for me that's 9 on my gamepad.

Oh and make sure you have offensive & defensive triggets on manual, imo it's a big portion of the combat fun & actually gimps you if you have it on automatic, success rate is around 75% on automatic and in some fights triggers play an important role. Also have auto-save on, saves to the autosave slot every time you zone and at a 15m interval :)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I haven't got a gamepad, going to have to mess with the key bindings I think.

Afran

Part of the furniture
If you want to get one, I'd recommend SkyBox-USA | Products, I use it myself and have for a good 2-3 years, still works perfectly and auto configures to all games ^^ Would hate to play TLR on keyboard ;<

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I'm not yet at end-game so I'm not sure if there are "ultimate" bosses like the Emerald Weapon etc from FF7, there are however a lot of side-quests that involve killing additional bosses (some of which are very challenging), and a fuckton of rare monsters in every zone, literally 8 or more per zone, even the small zones. The way rare spawns work in this game is, once you zone in, there's a chance for them to be spawned, if they're not, you'll either have to zone out/back in, or meet certain conditions to force a spawn, i.e. Kill 3 spiders, followed by a Scavenger and then two Imps, like in Blackdale to fight the Dominator. Side-quest bosses are a different story, they're always up and 90% of the time you're teleported upon acceptance of the quest to the correct area.

There's also guild achivements for just about every rare spawn, you have access to one guild by default and can unlock two more - Each have unique achivements, rewards for said achivements depend on the difficulty of the one you completed, and damn there's a lot of them :) You also have ranks within each guild, and as you gain ranks you get access to the more challenging achivements.

Ooo mixture of FF12 hunt system to get rares to spawn, I like that :) i'm guessing if thats in the game there will be additional bosses later on.

Bought Last Remnant via digital download :) its on 99% atm lol, gonna install and dust off my old Logitech control pad when its done and let rip.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
very addictive and nice game. I'm at the start of disc 2 now. some fights can be hard, but tweaking with party members and formations helps a ton.
Also make sure you check all the actions you can do in tough fights (by switching through all targets) so you wont miss a cyclops/gae bolg/talisman ability.
If you still have trouble, its sometime worth it to "grind" a bit and do sidequests etc to get some BR and skills level up.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Well, played the game for 4 hours yesterday and I must say its absolutely amazing, given its not apart of the Final Fantasy series it sure feels like its Final Fantasy... if you know what I mean (ff fans will) when you play an FF game and you just get that feeling its great :p I get the same feeling with this game.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Yeh, I hope they continue with TLR 2 :eek:

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Anyone know if theres a way to turn the xbox controller option off in the PC version? like I get xbox controller keys on the screen on the PC version with a keyboard ofc so I want keyboard keys not the xbox controller ones ;s
Might have overlooked an option but cant seem to find it.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes its in the options. It says "character mapping" The pull down has xbox controller or keyboard. It's after the keyboard mapping menu and before the mouse one iirc.

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Ah thanks was looking into the options while playing but had to exit the current game for the title screen options for that one.

Afran

Part of the furniture
Ooo mixture of FF12 hunt system to get rares to spawn, I like that :) i'm guessing if thats in the game there will be additional bosses later on.

Thought I'd update concerning this, I've got to the stage now where I'm finding hardmode bosses quite frequently, some of them are literally impossible for my current group strenghts and I'm level 94. :eek:

They're kinda like weapons from FF7

aika

Can't get enough of FH
Its not really good to raise your BR so much, some bosses might be too hard. Unless you're grinding for The Fallen/Demigod or other things in Ancient Ruins :)
Though some weapon arts that you get only on high BR are absolutely insane (like Haxarang for Torgal or Heaven's Door for Caedmon).
It's best to do the 6 bases and the rest of the main story bosses up until the final boss at like BR ~50, no real problems then :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom