Film The General Film Thread

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
... he said not to as it's horrific and depressing. He was made to watch it at school when he was 11 (?!) so i'm debating if it's just a case of nostalgic horror for him.
There are elements of both. It's not just horrific and a gut punch to the system - and trust me, it really is even to this day, he is not exaggerating - in a gory and sensationalist way, its the shear mundanity of it all. It depicts normal working-class life, in a normal northern city - all completely recognisable to those of us who grew up like that - and then what would happen in the event of a strike. Any illusions and preconceptions about survival and society recovering are utterly destroyed. Nostalgia could be a part of it, it was first shown to me at school like your brother was, and the threat felt very real back then; so yes, maybe the impact might have been harder. But even so, I'd be very aware of when and who you watch it with.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just watched it. It is indeed unremittingly grim.

Had a wank halfway through to cheer myself up.

scoop

Can't get enough of FH
FH Subscriber
There are elements of both. It's not just horrific and a gut punch to the system - and trust me, it really is even to this day, he is not exaggerating - in a gory and sensationalist way, its the shear mundanity of it all. It depicts normal working-class life, in a normal northern city - all completely recognisable to those of us who grew up like that - and then what would happen in the event of a strike. Any illusions and preconceptions about survival and society recovering are utterly destroyed. Nostalgia could be a part of it, it was first shown to me at school like your brother was, and the threat felt very real back then; so yes, maybe the impact might have been harder. But even so, I'd be very aware of when and who you watch it with.

Gave it a watch last night. Considering that it was made in the 80s it holds up well. The message is still crystal clear.

Still can't believe that they showed it in schools. I watched horrors like Hellraiser and the Exorcist as a kid, and once the film was over you basically knew deep down that it was just a film. Something like this at the time (and now... :p ? ) must have seemed like a very possible future though and traumatic.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Still can't believe that they showed it in schools.
More of that sort of thing tbh. (Although political opportunism would occur...)

But definitely staple kids eyes open and make them watch Watership down. Apparently it's been reclassified from a U to PG - because of the "trauma" of watching animated rabbits or something...

SilverHood

FH is my second home
More of that sort of thing tbh. (Although political opportunism would occur...)

But definitely staple kids eyes open and make them watch Watership down. Apparently it's been reclassified from a U to PG - because of the "trauma" of watching animated rabbits or something...

I once had an interview where I was asked what my greatest weakness was, my greatest strength, what made me laugh, what made me cry. etc, etc. Inane interview questions. In the answer to what makes me cry, I said Watership Down.
I did not get the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom