The Force Awakens

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Just watched it, managed to avoid spoilers for 5 days.

The good: it feels like a proper Star Wars movie; it looks right and barely flags; pacing is mostly good. I immediately liked the "goodies" and Ren is suitably bonkers. 3D used well.

The bad: ignoring the fact that it's basically "A New Hope: The Remix" most of the bad is typical JJ Abrams; "let's ignore internal logic, no fucker will notice" if the Falcon can get through shields, so can everyone else. Everyone can see a distant star system dying in real time despite literally mentioning it's a faster than light weapon in the next scene (he did the same in Star Trek). The Falcon can hit things at high speed and survive when the shields are off. I know it's not Trek and physics isn't a thing in Star Wars, but at least be consistent. I actually think it's laziness.

So...6.5/10, but I will watch the next one

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Got to see this one at the cinema really if you can

Why bother when you can download a terrible version?! It's like going on holiday - why bother with all that pain, may as well just go on the internetz and look at a photo of the place you want to go.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Saw it on Saturday, at a Cinema so old I suspect people were in there watching A New Hope.

Very enjoyable, but felt far too much like a reboot than the next films in the series. The more I think about it the more annoyed I am that it was just Episode 4 (and 6) all over again. And there was no need to do that to Han. He was only the most popular Sci-Fi character ever. We watched Eps 4 - 6 the night before, and after seeing them all in one night, Ep 7 was FAR too familiar for our liking. Probably give it a 7/10.

As an aside, is it possible to still watch the Original Trilogy? i.e the one that came out in 1977 and not the Digitally Remastered Hi Def Extra Scenes Lucas Wankfest you can get now? Think I've got it on VHS somewhere, but I'd rather not have to buy an old VCR just to watch Star Wars correctly.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
VHS is the only way to watch the originals on.... Also need to buy a 19" fatty TV too.....

Sorry, I took the TV off my penis.

Petertake1.png

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Went to job in Southport, next job at 3 so called in to the vue at 12.45...3D version started at 12.30, got a maccys and a huge packet of choccy, sat down as the censor screen came up.
Awesome and the 3D was immaculate, really helped the sense of scale.
A very tiny hint of teen vampire characters, but JJ has redeemed himself when it mattered.

Wij

I am a FH squatter

Job

Is it me or has she got some funny seized neck posture going on, she runs like she is wearing a coathanger in her top.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Also
Rey. Luke's daughter?

That's the obvious explanation I had while watching the movie but thinking about it afterwards it's also quite possible she is Kylo's sister. Twins, just like Luke & Leia, would fit the whole mythology / history even better.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
That's the obvious explanation I had while watching the movie but thinking about it afterwards it's also quite possible she is Kylo's sister. Twins, just like Luke & Leia, would fit the whole mythology / history even better.

This
Which would also explain why Luke is hiding rather than some "want to be alone" crap, if he thinks Ren could read his mind. Unfortunately it would also mean loads of bullshit about mind wipes and leaving a sibling on a desert planet, again, which...what the fuck, these are not good places for kids!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Saw it on Saturday, at a Cinema so old I suspect people were in there watching A New Hope.

Very enjoyable, but felt far too much like a reboot than the next films in the series. The more I think about it the more annoyed I am that it was just Episode 4 (and 6) all over again. And there was no need to do that to Han. He was only the most popular Sci-Fi character ever. We watched Eps 4 - 6 the night before, and after seeing them all in one night, Ep 7 was FAR too familiar for our liking. Probably give it a 7/10.

As an aside, is it possible to still watch the Original Trilogy? i.e the one that came out in 1977 and not the Digitally Remastered Hi Def Extra Scenes Lucas Wankfest you can get now? Think I've got it on VHS somewhere, but I'd rather not have to buy an old VCR just to watch Star Wars correctly.

I thought Harrison Fords performance was the worst in the film, so I was pretty happy when he got bopped.
He can't do rogueish charmer who gets away with everything via a cheeky grin anymore, because he's a podgy geezer.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Okaay, finally got to see this tonight, its been so hard staying out of this thread, but even not coming here I just knew that Job would have posted some 'cam' bollocks!!

So pretty much the same as everyone is saying

Yes its basically a re hash of ANH, but I didn't mind that, I loved how original it looked, like 4 5 & 6. Back with 1,2 & 3 it was almost like they said to themselves 'hey look what we can do with CGI' and then they overcook the fuck out of it. This really harked back to ANH. Loads of little throw backs like the lightsaber in the snow and Fin picking up Luke's little test ball on the Falcon. I knew Han was dead the minute he walked onto the bridge, and I liked that they named him Ben, and yes @Zarjazz she has to be Luke's daughter, if she was Han & Leia's they would have said, there was a bit when Han said to her 'I saw our son', they were alone at that point, why would they not have acknowledged Ren?

Oh and when Ren said 'this is the Falcon, the ship that made the kessel run in 14 parsecs'. That made me chuckle, as you know Han was going to correct her

That's it for now, i'll be seeing again as @russell's lad is bursting to see it, so i'll have more to say I should think. but all in all I loved it

Last edited:

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Was supposed to go with mates and see it in 2D last night, but wife got ill so I had to stay in :(

Job

Downloaded that cam anyway to rewatch and catch anything I missed, not a bad copy, didn't miss anything, plot teal easy to follow I guess.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Just seen it.

Utterly dreadful, but worse than the film is the female lead. What the fuck were they thinking?

I'm sure I saw the story first time around about 38 years ago.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Oh and when Ren said 'this is the Falcon, the ship that made the kessel run in 14 parsecs'. That made me chuckle, as you know Han was going to correct her [/spoiler]

When they were running for their lives and Finn said "what about that ship?" and Rey said "That one's garbage", and then "we'll take the garbage" to reveal the Falcon, I was laughing my arse off. Great scene.

Also:

"STOP HOLDING MY HAND!"

SilverHood

FH is my second home

There's another theory that she is Obi Wan's grandaughter. I like that one better than Luke's daughter.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
@Scouse you disagreed, was that because you think it's good or that you think the story is original?

why did darth wank wear a mask? What the fuck was the idea with the pilot, he looked and acted like a pizza chef. The death star plan, "yeah shoot that, ok lets go!". The flying into a small gap and shooting the death star, seen that before? The droid on a sandy planet with important info. The girl was basically Luke and the guy was the Princess, just roles reversed. I could go on.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Think he stated earlier in thread he liked it, many others here agree its a lot like ANH but also still really liked it

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Trem
Completely agree about the plan scene - it's so bad it's painful. Being a JJ Abrams film you expect him to not think so hard and be 'detail schmeetail'. It's why his Star Trek is shite and in some ways it gives you an appreciation of George Lucas.

And yes, it's the exact same film.

BUT - it's good throwaway fun - exactly what Star Wars should be. I also disagree about Rey. She's good, not skinny and she walks like a crip - looking at her calf muscles she's gotta be a mountain biker ;)

:p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom