The Force Awakens

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
@Trem
Completely agree about the plan scene - it's so bad it's painful. Being a JJ Abrams film you expect him to not think so hard and be 'detail schmeetail'. It's why his Star Trek is shite and in some ways it gives you an appreciation of George Lucas.

And yes, it's the exact same film.

BUT - it's good throwaway fun - exactly what Star Wars should be. I also disagree about Rey. She's good, not skinny and she walks like a crip - looking at her calf muscles she's gotta be a mountain biker ;)

:p
God you're fucking weird

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
@Trem
Completely agree about the plan scene - it's so bad it's painful. Being a JJ Abrams film you expect him to not think so hard and be 'detail schmeetail'. It's why his Star Trek is shite and in some ways it gives you an appreciation of George Lucas.

And yes, it's the exact same film.

BUT - it's good throwaway fun - exactly what Star Wars should be. I also disagree about Rey. She's good, not skinny and she walks like a crip - looking at her calf muscles she's gotta be a mountain biker ;)

:p
Thing is I really like the Star Trek films, is that because I aren't a Star Trek fan?

I enjoyed Guardians and felt warm afterwards I didn't with this and I can't tell you how much it's upset me :(

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I'm presuming we've all seen it, but the actor for the bad guy was all wrong...after he took his mask off I couldn't take him seriously for the rest of the film...she has a stunning face...doubly helped by looking like an ex of mine...the black guy was okish, but forgettable...I think JJ realised this halfway through the film.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I agree with Job about Kylo, with the mask on I was able to buy into his mental behaviour. The second he took the mask off I couldn't take him seriously.

I enjoyed Rey and Finn but Po felt like a throwaway character.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Thing is I really like the Star Trek films, is that because I aren't a Star Trek fan?
Yep. Totally. They're good action flicks skinned as Star Trek, but that's all. Otherwise they're shite.

And @Job - your presumptions are selfish - but you didn't have spoilers so I haven't had to spit my dummy out at xmas;)

Trem

I'm presuming we've all seen it, but the actor for the bad guy was all wrong...after he took his mask off I couldn't take him seriously for the rest of the film...she has a stunning face...doubly helped by looking like an ex of mine...the black guy was okish, but forgettable...I think JJ realised this halfway through the film.
WHY DID HE HAVE A FUCKING MASK ON IN THE FIRST FUCKING PLACE!!???!!!?? :eek:

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I think there was a point being made that he was all talk, that he was vulnerable and that showed when his mask was off. I suspect he's a much more twisted person now in the face of what happened in the film.

It's not as if Darth Vader was particularly scary with his mask off.

Trem

I think there was a point being made that he was all talk, that he was vulnerable and that showed when his mask was off. I suspect he's a much more twisted person now in the face of what happened in the film.

It's not as if Darth Vader was particularly scary with his mask off.
I think he had a mask on because without it he was a 15 year old boy with massive ears and a perm, oohhh scary.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
I think he had a mask on because without it he was a 15 year old boy with massive ears and a perm, oohhh scary.

That is kinda the point.

"Ben" is a damaged teenager, trying desperately and failing to emulate his infamous grandfather.

I think the actor portrayed this REALLY well. In both looks and emotionally

Job

I can understand that, but he failed to match up to the plot, even his mask voice was like the first setting on a cheap bad guy voice changer unit.

Just nitpicking though, it was a great movie that swept aside the sequels and could well have ramifications for cgi, people want to see epic and they know that most of it is done with a drawing tablet thesedays, visible real work and sets has a powerful effect on the movies worth.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
so thinking about star wars VIII and how it will turn out mild spoilers below

so after reflecting on this film which i LOVED! i cant help thinking its set the path for the next film to be full of flashbacks. like how ben fell to the darkside, and rey's past and who left her there. i truly hope this is not the case i want the story to move forward not back. let the books handle the 30 years between the films and let the films go forward!

Talivar

Part of the furniture
I think they will let the stand alone films and other merchandise fill any gaps. Im sure i read that Disney want this to eventually be like the Marvel Universe with a regular stream of movie/shows/books ect

Trem

I will watch it again at home on Blu Ray when it comes out and try again now I've calmed down, unless there's a HD cam* out there anywhere?

*HD cam? What the fuck? Are the backs of peoples heads in crisp, perfect definition? Fucking joke.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I will watch it again at home on Blu Ray when it comes out and try again now I've calmed down, unless there's a HD cam* out there anywhere?
I hope you do see it in a different light, as a huge fan of the original, I loved this new one. I know its a kind of re hash of ANH, but I think it was always meant to be, its history repeating itself.

I left the screen thinking wow, but I was also concerned that because I wanted it to be good, that I had convinced myself it was, but after having time to distance myself from the hype, I still loved it

*HD cam? What the fuck? Are the backs of peoples heads in crisp, perfect definition? Fucking joke.

I'm sure @Job has got a link for you for that

Trem

I hope you do see it in a different light, as a huge fan of the original, I loved this new one. I know its a kind of re hash of ANH, but I think it was always meant to be, its history repeating itself.

I left the screen thinking wow, but I was also concerned that because I wanted it to be good, that I had convinced myself it was, but after having time to distance myself from the hype, I still loved it

I'm sure @Job has got a link for you for that
I hope/think I am overly critical on things that matter so much to me. It's the memory, the butterflies of the orginal that does it. But even the music didn't feel as epic or the sound effects in this one. I hope you're right sweetheart, I know my wife will love it and she doesn't like the originals. Not sure what that means.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I hope/think I am overly critical on things that matter so much to me. It's the memory, the butterflies of the orginal that does it. But even the music didn't feel as epic or the sound effects in this one. I hope you're right sweetheart, I know my wife will love it and she doesn't like the originals. Not sure what that means.
Search your feelings @Trem, you know it to be true

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I hear there's A Christmas Carol thingy out.

You'll probably be able to relate more @Trem

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Watched it again today, and I'm not as happy as I was the first time.

Bad guy looks like Voldemort and has a shit name, the rebels are puny as shit, there's only about one hundred of them.

Ontop of that there is too many inconsistencies. Finns fight at the end, why didn't Ren just stop him with the Force?

Rey has a control of the force that Luke didn't even grasp until meeting up with Yoda

Still looking forward to the next one but I am hoping it's not more of the same. I can't take another flying through a tight alley to blow shit up. Just as much as I can't take them building a bigger fucking death gun.

Also I have no idea what the Imperial Alliance actually stands for. They have loads of ships with soldiers on and they like building planets/death stars with big guns on and blowing shit up. But what are they actually trying to change? What is their way of life?

Fuck it, I'm gonna watch Serenity!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Watched it again today, and I'm not as happy as I was the first time.

Bad guy looks like Voldemort and has a shit name, the rebels are puny as shit, there's only about one hundred of them.

Ontop of that there is too many inconsistencies. Finns fight at the end, why didn't Ren just stop him with the Force?

Rey has a control of the force that Luke didn't even grasp until meeting up with Yoda

Still looking forward to the next one but I am hoping it's not more of the same. I can't take another flying through a tight alley to blow shit up. Just as much as I can't take them building a bigger fucking death gun.

Also I have no idea what the Imperial Alliance actually stands for. They have loads of ships with soldiers on and they like building planets/death stars with big guns on and blowing shit up. But what are they actually trying to change? What is their way of life?

Fuck it, I'm gonna watch Serenity!

Well, The Empire was all about bringing order to a dysfunctional Republic that couldn't get anything done (and something, something Dark Side), but tbh I have no idea what the First Order is supposed to be about other than Advanced Scenery Chewing lessons and improbable economics (seriously, how do they fund all those Super Star Destroyers and Starkiller bases?)

As for
Rey, she's obviously had prior training, even if she doesn't really remember it consciously

Trem

Well, The Empire was all about bringing order to a dysfunctional Republic that couldn't get anything done (and something, something Dark Side), but tbh I have no idea what the First Order is supposed to be about other than Advanced Scenery Chewing lessons and improbable economics (seriously, how do they fund all those Super Star Destroyers and Starkiller bases?)

As for
Rey, she's obviously had prior training, even if she doesn't really remember it consciously
But where was the clue about that in the film? It isn't like it's Donnie Darko is it? I just felt it was very poorly written, lazy at best.

@Scouse 7 year olds love it, mature, intelligent hunks like me question it.

*flex*

Urgat

Part of the furniture
But where was the clue about that in the film?

The way she handled a weapon vs the scum in the market. (1v5)
The way she persuaded the scavenger to leave BB8 alone (Influencing the mind)

The flashbacks she had when she touched the LightSaber...

Were you even watching?

Trem

The way she handled a weapon vs the scum in the market. (1v5)
The way she persuaded the scavenger to leave BB8 alone (Influencing the mind)

The flashbacks she had when she touched the LightSaber...

Were you even watching?
The background to that was where? Don't be a stain, you probably love Jar Jar, she talked like a princess and was tougher than the terminator with no explanation. She was the worst part of the film by far. The mind thing was dreadful and felt like an ad for beer. Still, no real reason for it apart from a flashback which was neither here nor there because before that she was a prancing private school girl.

Then Finn all of a sudden is an elite shot in the Falcon and amazing with a light saber. Get fucked.

DaGaffer

The background to that was where? Don't be a stain, you probably love Jar Jar, she talked like a princess and was tougher than the terminator with no explanation. She was the worst part of the film by far. The mind thing was dreadful and felt like an ad for beer. Still, no real reason for it apart from a flashback which was neither here nor there because before that she was a prancing private school girl.

Then Finn all of a sudden is an elite shot in the Falcon and amazing with a light saber. Get fucked.

Its a trilogy; you don't have to reveal everything when people know there are two more movies coming. I'm assuming all will be revealed.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I love people discussing plot holes in a film that contains faster than light travel, telekinesis, ghosts, sentient Bungle bears, jive-talking lizards and super weapons.

Come on, it's fantasy. Sit back, have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up [and watch the film].

DaGaffer

I love people discussing plot holes in a film that contains faster than light travel, telekinesis, ghosts, sentient Bungle bears, jive-talking lizards and super weapons.

Come on, it's fantasy. Sit back, have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up [and watch the film].

Fantasy isn't an excuse for bad plotting; you have to get the "rules" of the fantasy right (e.g. the world building); arguably moreso than in a novel set in the real world where the rules are implicit.

Job

TBH in reality the First order would just blast any planet they suspected of the slightest involvement, no duels or troops on the ground...so you have to put in some plot holes or the film would just be ..Hi, I'm a Jed.....kaboom.

Trem

Its a trilogy; you don't have to reveal everything when people know there are two more movies coming. I'm assuming all will be revealed.
But you have to reveal some sort of background to what we are talking about otherwise it makes no sense,
touching a light sabre then monging out for a minute doesn't do that, yes we know there are other films but this is a film on it's own and there needs to be some explanation to who she is not just some bird with a stick from Downton Abbey who all of a sudden (without any prior warning) is fucking Yoda.

Oy yeah and also
The sun, wouldn't the sun just die after the first use of the weapon ffs or does it have a little bloke up there igniting it? Why has no one mentioned that? It went totally out......oh god :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You nerd noob, the sun was dimmed by the first use and extinguished by the second. You should have been paying attention instead of worrying about birds nicking your seeds or toilet rolls being on the wrong way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom