Formula 1 The F1 jibber jabber thread.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Don't think from an armchair viewers perspective the "behind closed doors" element will matter much. Wonder if the presenters will still go in the paddock/on the grid?

BBC News - Formula 1 plan to start season in Austria as French GP called off
Formula 1 plan to start season in Austria as French GP called off

Well, on the one hand, as a fan, I'd love it even from the comfort of home... on the other hand we should all consider concerns of others....

View: https://youtu.be/z-TO9BvrAwI

(BTW - highly recommend that chap if you don't follow him on YT already) :)

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Well, on the one hand, as a fan, I'd love it even from the comfort of home... on the other hand we should all consider concerns of others....

View: https://youtu.be/z-TO9BvrAwI

(BTW - highly recommend that chap if you don't follow him on YT already) :)

Agreed, social distancing and so on. Would be kind of weird to see Martin in gloves and a mask. Don't know how it's going to work, the presenters may even be in their own homes.
I'll have a look at that channel.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
What about all the marshalls. They have to work close to each other to get cars off the grid etc. And usually they camp in the middle of the track and are from all over the place.

If it was just the teams thats one thing. But theres a requirement for medical teams, security, press, camera operators.

i dont think they would get 2 meters between the wheel changers haha.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Luckily its safe enough now that the mist likely injury would be whiplash from the cornering and braking forces

Embattle

FH is my second home
The venues will have a problem with no fans being at the track simply because of the revenue loss.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The venues will have a problem with no fans being at the track simply because of the revenue loss.
The venues pay the fia to hold the races dont they?

so yeah they have to provide all the facilities with no income stream

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Yes, the venues buy the rights to hold the race from F1dfg aergcegteqctect

Dammit Moriath, you wait almost 3 hours, then I start typing the same response and you swoooop in without so much as a by your leave!

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
There seems to be some discussion going on about a compromise for circuits to offset the revenue loss... that will be on a case by case basis, of course.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
I've always thought the circuits "paying for the privilege" was a joke, should be the other way around. Ecclestone was a very good (hard) negotiator though.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yes, the venues buy the rights to hold the race from F1dfg aergcegteqctect

Dammit Moriath, you wait almost 3 hours, then I start typing the same response and you swoooop in without so much as a by your leave!
Type faster slow poke ;)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I've always thought the circuits "paying for the privilege" was a joke, should be the other way around. Ecclestone was a very good (hard) negotiator though.

F1 wouldn't exist if it was the other way round.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
F1 wouldn't exist if it was the other way round.

It just "seems" the wrong way around.
I can't see the circuits being onboard with holding races with no income from it. Either F1 or the FIA will have to spunk up some cash for them.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It just "seems" the wrong way around.
I can't see the circuits being onboard with holding races with no income from it. Either F1 or the FIA will have to spunk up some cash for them.
Well there is the not inconsiderable tv revenue

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Well there is the not inconsiderable tv revenue

Yup, some kind of split with the circuits would probably do it. There's no incentive otherwise for the circuits to hold a race, they'd make a huge loss. I'm sure all of this has been discussed and boxed off though otherwise they wouldn't be scheduling races.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yup, some kind of split with the circuits would probably do it. There's no incentive otherwise for the circuits to hold a race, they'd make a huge loss. I'm sure all of this has been discussed and boxed off though otherwise they wouldn't be scheduling races.
To be fair they are not really scheduled yet. They kind maybe wanna do it. They still have to get governments go ahead.

Job

As an eco warrier myself ..the only way forward for F1 is to use Teslas charged by wind turbines and only allow it to watched by people who live in off grid houses by solar powered wifi.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
Been watching some Broadbent before this became mainstream. There's another guy, American, on lots of the twitch clips compilations who cracks me up. I'll have to get back to you with his name.
Leclerc beating Lando and Max online was surprising to say the least.

Job

They should get the fans to send their pictures in and digitally create a crowd.
You could charge more to be at the 'front'.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
On the one hand I've liked him much more as a Ferrari driver than a Red Bull one but on the other he's made so many costly mistakes and what he did at Baku (I think? Hamilton under the safety car) was just unacceptable. He's also clearly the second best in the team behind Leclerc and he won't like that.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
On the one hand I've liked him much more as a Ferrari driver than a Red Bull one but on the other he's made so many costly mistakes and what he did at Baku (I think? Hamilton under the safety car) was just unacceptable. He's also clearly the second best in the team behind Leclerc and he won't like that.

It's a whole host of screw ups... Baku (yes, that was right Cal), Germany from the lead, Monza last year was a total balls up, effectively taking out 2 other cars, the incident with Leclerc... I doubt it's the money alone - I think they might be telling him equal status at best but Leclerc is priority and his ego can't take it. I really hope he doesn't lead to Sainz leaving McLaren though - that team is looking so promising right now ...

Embattle

FH is my second home
I could easily see him retiring, since he has a number of reasons not to race. These include a family, plenty of money and quite honestly a very slim chance of winning the title again but if he wants some more money then I can see another tie up with a team.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I wouldnt have put Sainz as a vettel replacement. Will have to wait an see. I guess he will be the number 2 in the team and no more le clerc fights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom