PADDY
RG

Group 4
PMP
TF
DAD
SFI
AOH

The draw was made with a program that was given to me by bigfoot.You will notice that 2 groups have 1 more team in than the other two,this is because of the uneven amount of clans that signed up.Clan leaders have been sent full details on how placement were decided,also on dates,servers,Times and Admins for the matches so please check your inbox's :)

Widdy

G

greendemon

Obviously the grouping has been done randomly.
In the last BWEFL, the Divisions were skill based.

Tbh, in most cases, we can look at these groups, and see who will win, before we start!

I'm not trying to rock the boat here, but wouldn't it be better to have the groups skill based? It would make it much more enjoyable. There are certain clans here, that when put against certain other clans, will lose iro 100-0 !

In the RTCW League, they held a 1 week quick tourney, where the Admins judged the skill level of the competing clans. The following week, the Divisions were decided by the Admins. This is working well for everyone.

As I said, I'm not trying to cause hassle, this is just an observation.

O

old.Lordy RAA

don't know GD, because that has been set up for a continious league. BWEFL has always been a non-continious league. Mainly because people in charge were too tired to do another season :D.
I do like that all groups have a reasonble strong clan in it. It gives a chance for the weaker clans to try to proove themselves.

O

^OnyX^

If bwefl would make groups, sorted in skill-level, then the first division would prob. be a very small group. (LS & PMP) :)
They are clearly the best teams atm. So the fairest way is to make it random.

Besides, I don't think that the 'top' clans will field their best players in every match. So it should be interesting. (I hope) :)

G

greendemon

Maybe a Cap Limit should be introduced then?

If it gets to say 30-0, it's obvious that a clan can't recover from that situation, so there should be no penalty for any clan that wants to pull out of the match at that point?

T

Tempy_Incursion

A good idea there GD, personally I would agree to it but it's up to Widdy and Watcher at the end of the day. After being 30 caps down it is damn unlikely they'll be able to recover.

All the division/fixture info is on the site and this season is looking promising already. :)

W

widdy

thanks for the input GD :)

yeah I wanted to make it random for at least this season.bwefl has been rushed through and as I'm the only head admin who seems to be active I've had to do all the work myself (not that im bothered btw) I thought random would be best else (like onyx said) you'd have group 1 with just LS and PMP in it,or you would end up with arguements saying our clan should be in group x blah blah blah.

Hopefully next time CTF comes around I may do a skill based league or even put everyone in one group and do it like that.But thats a long time away so lets just sort out this season and I'll see what we can do at a later date :)

Personally I think it's a good idea to have mixed skilled groups like this.As was said earlier I doubt the bigger clans would field thier strongest sides against "weaker" clans which gives some of thier "newer/less skilled" members a chance to play.Also the clans that are facing "stronger" sides will gain experience which is always a good thing,after all you can't go through playing EF as a clan only playing against sides that are the same skill level as your own.

G

greendemon

Fair enough m8.

What do u think about the idea of allowing clans to concede if they are seriously owned, without penalty?

I've seen matches a few times, where a clan gets totally owned, and after a while the name calling, and accusations start. I know it's lame, but it does happen.

Clans tend to stick with it regardless, cos usually in leagues, there's a point penalty for leaving the match early.

Just an idea!

W

widdy

tbh I'm not really sure what way to go with this.I mean a clan should stick with the game regardless of if they are getting thrashed or not.I can undertstand why,obviously no clan likes being thrashed but they should stick it out because next time around they will know that clans tactics etc and may have a better game next time around.
I don't really want to have to give default points because at the end of the day 1st,2nd and third places may have to be decided on captures and the last thing we need is one clan getting say 70-0 against a side that stayed and another getting 50-0 because a side left.The clan with the less caps are going to loose out because one clan can't take a beating fair and square.
One idea is I may do it so if one clan plays against a "medium skill" clan and stayed,then decided to pull out of a game against a "stronger skilled" clan then the stronger clan will get the same result as the medium clan by default to keep it even.
the second is that a group of experienced admins decide the amount of captures to award the other clan that turned up.

from a player POV which would be better in your eyes?

M

mr.Blacky

what might be a solution is to calculate how many caps would have been made in the full time
30 caps in half time = 60 full time etc

G

greendemon

Difficult, I can see that.

Having been out of EF for a while, I don't know the Clans as well as I used to. All I can do is quote the last BWEFL from experience.

We were in the bottom Division last time, and what we noticed was that there was a massive jump in skill between the Clans.

On a scale, I would say (where 10=weak, 1=best)
There were a lot at 10, a few at 3 and a few at 1

There wasn't really anyone at level 5 say.

I suppose the best way is to let the Admins decide on the amount of Caps to award should a clan pull out of a match, then there can be no dispute.

W

widdy

yeah RAA I know that has been done before but to be honest I really don't think that works too well.The point is (dependant on map) the first half of a game could be spent trying to gain control of a certain area and once that is sorted out then the caps start flooding.It's really difficult trying to sort this out to make it fair,hopefully we won't have to use it at all but fi we do I really do think it would be best if X amount of admins (who aren't affiliated with the clans involved) decide on an amount of captures that is closest to what they think the match would of finished with

W

widdy

Originally posted by greendemon
Difficult, I can see that.

Having been out of EF for a while, I don't know the Clans as well as I used to. All I can do is quote the last BWEFL from experience.

We were in the bottom Division last time, and what we noticed was that there was a massive jump in skill between the Clans.

On a scale, I would say (where 10=weak, 1=best)
There were a lot at 10, a few at 3 and a few at 1

There wasn't really anyone at level 5 say.

I suppose the best way is to let the Admins decide on the amount of Caps to award should a clan pull out of a match, then there can be no dispute.

well if we decide to do a skill based league next time around I will use the info from this season to set it up.Although I really think that everyone in the same group would work very nicely as well.They are both something I will keep in mind for next time around :)

O

old.Rabbit

I have to agree with GreenDemon on this one. I still think that the 1st season I did BWEFL, was most liked by the clans. That was "more or less" skill based groups. We had some very good matches during that season. (in div2/3/4 anyways) .
And in my opinion 0-40+ is not a very good match. Boring perhaps, frustrating maybe.

Rabbit

W

widdy

thanks for all the input guys :)

I went for random this year as it was the easiest option (rather than choose what teams goes in what group as I belive some choices could of caused problems) I think on the results of this season I will take them down and sort clans out into skill based groups according to how they finished up this season (maybe the groups with 6 clans and the clans who finish 5th could do a play off to even it up into 4 groups).
After that season I really would like to do a league where all clans are in one big group just to make it more interesting.

what do you think?good idea or bad idea?

M

mr.Blacky

errrr a group of 21 clans? if the total of clans dont grow :clap: or drop :(
My personal fav would be as you said numbers 1+2 in one group etc. but with promotions and relegations. as long as the groups are large enough (7 or 8?).

W

widdy

yeah the 4 grouped skill based league would definatly be the easiest to run out of those two choices.But wouldn't a game with every other clan in the league make it more interesting as well?after all games have been played the top 8 go through to a play off or something.

TBH I'm not fussed either way as long as the majority are happy with it.

M

mr.Blacky

true and with new players with unknown skill a clan could become better fast. If the group league would be chosen that clan would dominate the rest with so much eas it would be les fun for them and the others.
On the other hand the time for one season would be much larger. How many games per week then? or a 20 week season hehe could be a laugh.

G

greendemon

Originally posted by Rabbit
I have to agree with GreenDemon on this one. I still think that the 1st season I did BWEFL, was most liked by the clans. That was "more or less" skill based groups. We had some very good matches during that season. (in div2/3/4 anyways) .
And in my opinion 0-40+ is not a very good match. Boring perhaps, frustrating maybe.

Rabbit

Yeah, that 1st season was very enjoyable m8.
I still think skill based would be best, ask the clans where they rate themselves, or run a quick 1 match each, and let the admins decide on the skill level.

At the end of the day, it's up to u Widdy, I think we'll just be glad to have a working league.

:clap:

M

mr.Blacky

errrr that was season 2 I think, wasn't Nullifier doing season 1, dunno if it was finished though.:confused:

W

widdy

well lets call this a Trail season then,and we wil move onto skill based groups next time around.Like I said I'm not really fussed what we do but thinking about it I do really prefer Random,heres the reasons...

TBH honest I like the random draws as you never know who your going to get.Plus the fact think about it this way,Group 1 (skill based) would have something like pmp://,LS,MAS,CLF (example).The clan that finishes last drops to group 2,now pmp://,LS and the other clan that finishes the strongest end up having to play each other over and over,season after season.At least with Random they get to face new clans,new players and therefore keeps the game more interesting for them.
Fair enough the arguement then turns to the "smaller" clans being totally outclassed.Well theres no better example at this point in time than the world cup.That's a random draw and It creates some great matches,There are alot of small teams out there that have done well.Look at Senegal beating France 1-0 by defending well and taking an opportunity when it arose.No doubt Senegal have had alot of heavy defeats before but they kept going and they've ended up with a result which for them is like winning the world cup.Whats to say this won't happen in some of our groups? There are alot of new/newish clans in this season which (IMO) could create quite a few upsets.

O

^OnyX^

Hmm .... most seem to be in favor of a skillbased grouping.

Maybe next season, bwefl could make 3 divisions (7 or 8 clans in a division. The first 2 clans in a division will promote, the last 2 in a division will relegate.
Anyway ..... just a thought. :)

T

[TBA]Cancer

We [TBA] are one of the newby clans that have joined. We looked at last season and thought we might be able to hack it in the division 4 teams.

Our first season group consists of LS, CLF, and Aka! We're expecting much canage, and all our base r belong to them etc.

However, if the theory about learning quickly from the best is true, we'll be EF genius by next season ;)

G

greendemon

At the end of the day, no-one likes to be totally owned.

Call me negative if you like, but I've learned precious little from matches like that. Training and guidance is one thing, but being walked over is another.

Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for the top clans, and I'm friends with many of them, but at the end of the day it's a league, and they are here to win. I honestly don't expect them to go easy on the lower skill clans, or to put up their less skilled players. The end result could go down to caps, so they will be out for as many as they can get.

Tbh, I don't blame them. If most of us were at that level, we would do the same.

Sorry to be blunt, but I need to say this... I really think that skill based would be better, more enjoyable, less predictable and will cause less arguments in the long run.

However it's run, I'm pleased to be in it. Sorry to cause hassle, I'll be quiet now!

;)

O

old.[LS]Fairlight

Hi!

I can only say that i like the random groups. I think its great to play against clans that you have seldom or even never met before. If you have to battle just 1 or 2 clans over and over again it gets stale and boring, no matter how good or how nice the gamepartners are.

I disagree a bit with the general mood that the so called top-clans are unbeatable. It may be hard but hey! they are only humans! Just play like you always did, no respect! You will be surprised how good you can keep up with. "Skill" always varies with luck, available members and general daily form. So whip out your photon and give 'em a taste of armageddon :)

Nice work @ the league admins and good luck to all participating clans!

Cu!

W

widdy

lol GD,no need to shut up,it's a forum and your welcome to voice your oppinions.It's your league and need people to tell me what they want so I can implement them next time around.

I really do belive that playing against tougher clans/players does make you better.I've seen it and it's happened many times with me.
First when I was clanless,I used to goto servers with players I knew kicked my ass the last time I played,you could say I stalked them,but after a few games I was getting better at attacking and avoiding them because I had worked out thier gameplan.
Second time was when I formed APA,basically we we're useless,we had no gameplan and no tactics.We played in the leagues and lost quite a few times but in every match we lost we gained experience,noticed what the other teams tactics were and used them.Now from a clan that couldn't do crap they went on to end up 5th in EFL (what I heard anyway).
Now I see it with (paddy) and our constant matches between RD in the leagues.Once we lost to them fairly heavily,now we're only losing by a golden cap.Who knows what will happen if we meet again but the point is from all those losses we've gained experience and worked on a gameplays to counter thier tactics.

I promise you I will do skill based next time around.Like I said all I wanted to do was get this league up and running again and therefore I had to cut a few corners (so to speak) to get it going again quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread