Question The Death of "Proper" FPS's?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I played Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142. Does the fact that not many people play them any more make them less valid as a gaming experience?

Two years down the line nobody'll be playing your current fave. Will that make it utter shit and a waste of time?

What I'm trying to say is - I liked the old games better. And it's not rose-tinted spectacles that make it that way...

No of course it doesnt, it just means theres no point going on about it, its dead. No one is suddenly going to start playing it again. Having said that, there are BF2 servers strill going and still full, so maybe you should play them, though they have XP and gun upgrades, which is just what you're going on about :confused:

Two years down the line though people will still be playing my current favourite, because CS/CSS goes on forever :)

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
thought id add this for the sake of all the CoD fan boys out there :D

"I would have Call of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow. I think our audiences are clamouring for it. If you look at what they're playing on Xbox Live today, we've had 1.7 billion hours of multiplayer play on Live. I think we could do a lot more to really satisfy the interests of the customers. I think we could create so many things, and make the game even more fun to play."

Bobby "im a hateful twat" Kotick, head of ActivisionBlizzard :)

same man who went on record to say that CoD would stay full price cos he wants to make as much money as possible, which while being good business sense, isnt something you say to your customers in the tone he uses ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No of course it doesnt, it just means theres no point going on about it, its dead.

I was comparing the current (i.e: not great) glut of FPS's with the great FPS's of the past.

Therefore I have to "go on about" them - 'cause how else can I make the comparison?

As for BF2 - it annoyed me because of the unlockable guns shit. Fun, but never quite as great as Tribes/Tribes2/UT/Q3 etc. etc.

The reason I used them as an example was I thought you'd probably played them and would you feel that you couldn't use them in a discussion about FPS's because they're "dead". Don't be confused Throddy, I think you're just missing my points :)

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
theres no good shooters on the horizon that ive seen what id like to see is a fps MMO i think that is the next evolution of the fps genre theres been a couple of games planetside was fairly good but other than that theres been nothing outstanding

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I was comparing the current (i.e: not great) glut of FPS's with the great FPS's of the past.

Therefore I have to "go on about" them - 'cause how else can I make the comparison?

As for BF2 - it annoyed me because of the unlockable guns shit. Fun, but never quite as great as Tribes/Tribes2/UT/Q3 etc. etc.

The reason I used them as an example was I thought you'd probably played them and would you feel that you couldn't use them in a discussion about FPS's because they're "dead". Don't be confused Throddy, I think you're just missing my points :)

Basically I think I'm just saying your points are completely futile . ;)

If you're someone who likes playing fps games then you'll be playing what you like, be it Quake3Live all the way through CSS to horrible MW2. Q3L proves there are games like that still around if thats what you want. I always think rose tinted specs are boring and a bit smug quite often.

If you dont really play fps games and you're just going on about what happened 10 years ago, fair enough, I guess I'm not interested though.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I think MW2 got the perk thing right tbh, you can actually compete perfectly fine at Lv. 1 with the pre-set classes, and even by the time you can make your own, after less than an hours play time, you can still hammer the people who are at lv. 70.

BC2 on the other hand punishes new players with an iron fist, sure the beginner guns are acceptable, but it's the perks that winds me up to no end, they create too much of a gap between the people with and without them. I mean you start off with no perks what so ever, at least MW2 let you start off with some of the most useful ones (Stopping Power, Sleight of hand etc).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If you dont really play fps games and you're just going on about what happened 10 years ago, fair enough, I guess I'm not interested though.

I do play FPS's. I'm currently stuck with L4D tho. Which is the point I'm trying to make that others have echoed - I no longer buy FPS's with unlockable weapons because I've tried it and it's a bit cack IMHO.

I'd like something new, akin to the level-playing-field games of the past that isn't boring war-realism stylee...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'd like something new, akin to the level-playing-field games of the past that isn't boring war-realism stylee...

Wij in total agreement with Scouse shockah !! :)

Vae

Resident Freddy
theres no good shooters on the horizon that ive seen what id like to see is a fps MMO i think that is the next evolution of the fps genre theres been a couple of games planetside was fairly good but other than that theres been nothing outstanding

The way planetside handled this was not to allow everyone to obtain whichever skill they wanted to use any weapon or drive any vehicle but you couldn't know how to use every weapon or drive every vehicle at once.

You could change your skills once a day and as you levelled you could know more skills so could know how to use a sniper rifle, drive a tank and repair things rather than just use a sniper rifle and drive a buggy. it meant that even new people were normally using the same weapons as the top level people but the top level people could easily change role depending on what was needed at a specific time e.g. tank column rather than aircraft drop and close quarters weapons.

It's still the only game which I've played which has achieved this and which has given me such fun moments such as jumping out of a Galaxy (Hercules clone) flown by Jup onto the top of an enemy base behind their front lines or having a large group of tanks driven by other FH members heading to retake a captured base.

I wish for a Planetside 2 :(

Edit: Wow I just decided to google Planetside and one of the google suggestions was Planetside 2! oO! My wishes may be in the process of being answered. If so I expect all those FH ex Planetside people to rejoin it and relive old times!
http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-planetside-2-in-the-works-2335.htm

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The problem with planetside was that nothing you did actually mattered - you couldn't actually win - just push the enemy back temporarily.

Enjoyed it for a little while - I think the first month I played constantly. Then cba subscribing...

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
I don't find FPS games as enthralling any more.

I don't think it's the fault of the games, I think it's our fault.

We've moved on, we expect more but everyone expects different things which means developers rarely tick all our boxes.

The fact that I'm now shite at fps games whereas before I had some modicum of ability doesn't help. :D

Personally I find myself increasingly frustrated with the failings of games that I buy/ subscribe too and less likely to overlook these failings for any length of time.

At the moment I have yet again returned back to eve-online which has many faults but still ticks more boxes on my "must have" list than anything else.

M

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I think MW2 got the perk thing right tbh, you can actually compete perfectly fine at Lv. 1 with the pre-set classes, and even by the time you can make your own, after less than an hours play time, you can still hammer the people who are at lv. 70.

BC2 on the other hand punishes new players with an iron fist, sure the beginner guns are acceptable, but it's the perks that winds me up to no end, they create too much of a gap between the people with and without them. I mean you start off with no perks what so ever, at least MW2 let you start off with some of the most useful ones (Stopping Power, Sleight of hand etc).

Yes but this is the important thing, it teaches the players to learn to walk before they can run. The gun isn't the most important thing in BC2 by a long shot. I'd take someone who couldn't hit a barn door but had the ability to get in behind enemy lines and take th points forcing the enemy back.

With the earlier guns you have to be more subtle with yuor movements and pay more attention to your environment. Making you a better player in the process.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Yeah I completely agree Cal, but like I said (I think I said anyway) it's the perks that do the most damage to the 'level playing field', at least to begin with anyway. But hey, that keeps people playing their games right?

However I can still see the appeal of having stuff to unlock, it gives people something to aim for, the strive to improve their game, I think I'd prefer it to not be so frustrating in the process though. Mind you this again could be down to DICE doing a great job of balancing the game, getting killed by shotguns at 100 yards and such.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't find FPS games as enthralling any more.

I don't think it's the fault of the games, I think it's our fault.

I don't find them enthralling any more. But I think it's definately the games fault. They're just not as good.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
Is a difficult one, I enjoy the likes of TF2 and BC2 but not because of the perks. (achievements/perks do not motivate me) I play these games because my mates play them and it is good fun with them. If no-one is up for a game I won't touch them though. But in the days of Q3, UT and Tribes 2 I could play for hours without thinking of my mates. I think the perks etc have put me off playing as with mates I know that because I don't have a weapon or perk it doesn't matter because we will work as a team and help each other out. But playing solo in a random server is a death warrant time and time again as I don't play enough to have the best of anything. I am a more single player orientated player the UT series is the only one I play by myself online because I like the simplicity its you and any gun you find vs everyone else.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
But playing solo in a random server is a death warrant time and time again as I don't play enough to have the best of anything. I am a more single player orientated player the UT series is the only one I play by myself online because I like the simplicity its you and any gun you find vs everyone else.
I think this was a large part of the reason I scaled back on playing online. I can play team games with others, but on a random server without anyone you know then you're not going to get as much enjoyment out of it.

throdgrain, you seem to think that anything old is crap and therefore to be dismissed. There are many factors why I don't play games as much as I used to, but the main one is time. I don't have as much time to spare for online gaming as I used to. I used to be able to play those old games for hours at a time because I didn't have as many commitments. Now I'm lucky if I can spare an hour late at night once the kids have gone to bed, IF THAT.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I think this was a large part of the reason I scaled back on playing online. I can play team games with others, but on a random server without anyone you know then you're not going to get as much enjoyment out of it.

throdgrain, you seem to think that anything old is crap and therefore to be dismissed. There are many factors why I don't play games as much as I used to, but the main one is time. I don't have as much time to spare for online gaming as I used to. I used to be able to play those old games for hours at a time because I didn't have as many commitments. Now I'm lucky if I can spare an hour late at night once the kids have gone to bed, IF THAT.

I dont necessarily think anything old is crap, but some things definately were, and looking at things through rose tinted specs just doesnt help. I've already said, QUAKE LIVE is one of the best fps games of all time, and is out there right now available to be played for free and with lots of servers with people on them, just waiting for you.

You're main arguement put forward in this post seems to be I dont play enough therefore I'm a bit crap, and I want something thats easier for me for the one hour a week I play an fps game :p

I play a lot of fps I suppose, as do my mates, therefore I feel qualified to comment. I wonder at this whole forum to be honest, I doubt hardly anyone plays much of anything. I notice I've not seen anyone pimping thier Steam playing time with screenshots, certainly would have done in the Barrysworld days!

(Oh but now you're going to tell me thats just because the games arnt any good, and it's nothing to do with the fact that you dont actually play 'em anyway. And then you're going to tell me that Morris Marinas were really good cars as well :p )

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I disagree with what you're saying there throddy. I play a lot of a different variety of games and FPS's are my favourite genre.

We're crying out for something new - you can't realistically expect all of us to go back and play quake live for the rest of our lives.

Also, I'd never have pimped my playing time, even in Barrysworld days, 'cause it's hardly something to be proud of. It's the same with scores. Doesn't matter if I top leaderboards - I simply don't care about that shit...

throdgrain

FH is my second home
By the way, just as an interruption to winding you all up, the new (big) CSS update is out now, and has loads and loads of achievments, like TF2, though they dont gain you anything, so god knows whether you will like that or not.

I cant say I like it much.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's just CSS with L4D style achievements isn't it? Shouldn't make a difference to the game at all. Which is good :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Watched the FMV, which was interesting. Then, whilst watching the (rather spankingly good looking) in-game stuff:

Brink gameplay video said:
When you complete these objectives you'll earn experience points that will unlock really cool upgrades for your weapons, abilities for your character

:(

Please! Just one game where everyone's got the same shit. Please! :)

throdgrain

FH is my second home
It's just CSS with L4D style achievements isn't it? Shouldn't make a difference to the game at all. Which is good :)

Bit more, the graphics are improved a bit, the interp seems all over the place, but as I said in the other thread, I think that might be down to servers running old plug-ins. On one I could throw a nade while running and overtake it!

I tried playing on a server that had no plug-ins, not vote or anything, and the whole thing was a lot smoother. Still dont like some of it though, whats all this when you die press F5 to take a screenshot? Why in gods name would I want to take a screenshot of that?? lol no doubt it will come out in the wash :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's still the only game which I've played which has achieved this and which has given me such fun moments such as jumping out of a Galaxy (Hercules clone) flown by Jup onto the top of an enemy base behind their front lines or having a large group of tanks driven by other FH members heading to retake a captured base.

[UPDATED] PlanetSide 2 in the works?

Will you please finally acknowledge that I was the best Galaxy pilot ever born???

It's about time you did - remember when my gfx fucked up and I flew to a drop based on voice comms? Classic :D

I'd probably be up for a PS2 - it was good in the sense of being able to come in at level 1 and still be able to compete, although as things heated up over time I did feel some 'grind pressure' to get levelled up and improve my loadout.

I really don't play much at all, but I do share the sentiment of 'levelling up to stay competetive = shitfest' as I simply don't have the time.

All that said, my lad is level 70 in Cod MW2 :lol:

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
looks like it could be interesting like the whole free runner theme like to see how they pull that off, personally tho it looked very console orientated have to see how it translates to pc
It'll translate well, remember these guys did RtCW:ET.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
So Brink is TF2 crossed with Mirror's Edge?
I could give that a go. ME is another game that I really like.

Athan

Resident Freddy
We're crying out for something new - you can't realistically expect all of us to go back and play quake live for the rest of our lives.

Make up your mind, do you NOT want the new things like perks/levelling, or do you want something new ?

I know the best times I had playing various FPS (QWTF, Q3F, BF1942, BF2, even CS at one point) were because the game was just so much fun in itself that I'd happily lose hours in it. If a game was that good it obviously didn't need anything new.

I play a lot less these days. MMORPGs claimed me for a while, and age/lack of practice means I'm nothing like as good at FPS now. I really should just knuckle down and play a load of TF2, but I feel a slight learning curve awaiting me (even if its unlocks aren't game-changing they are there and require you to know what they are...).

Ah, yes, one thing about older games, unless they've had a modern graphics engine makeover they will likely grate visually a bit. As much as I try to like older games that does get in the way at times. We've trained our perception up to be used to the higher res graphics/textures on models with more polygons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom