Question The Death of "Proper" FPS's?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Make up your mind, do you NOT want the new things like perks/levelling, or do you want something new ?

B'jeesus Athan, it's not hard to understand.

Want something new without the gay perks and leveling shite...

GReaper

Part of the furniture
What do I want?

A next generation of PC FPS games, team based with game modes involving more than just killing other people, well balanced for competitive play, a decent amount of developer support after the release of the game, proper support for matches/tournament play. No crappy achievements which screw up game balance. Games which perform well on a variety of machines, I don't mind visually stunning graphics taking a super computer - but it should scale down without being an absolute hog on older machines.

Something which isn't called Call of Duty, Battlefield, or any other franchises which have gone on forever. New, fresh games which offer something different!

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
keep the ranks and introduce a system that actually works when it comes to putting people of equal skill together

stop putting so many guns into games we need variation in the maps not weapons

introduce dynamic levels that change randomly alley open one time next two times its closed etc think this would be fantastic for clan matches it would introduce true skill based on changing tactics on the fly, the better tactician wins not just the best campers.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
one thing i will add on the weapons front is this ;

go back to unreal/quake etc laser guns, rocket launchers, nail guns etc

i hate the way in CoD etc they get real or quasi-real-cant-get-license weapons, that they then balance for gameplay sake. CoD is a classic, people running towards you taking .50 rounds in the chest. if its based on something real, then make it realistic, or stop it all together :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Have a perk/upgrade game or not, it still comes down to the person who can't aim at a barn door complaining about the guy who spent 20 million hours shooting flying peas qnd the latter guy raging when the first guy kills him.

Any game, any setting, any guns, anything at ALL won't change your problem.

The upgrades etc don't make that much of a difference, which is evident in someone killing a whole playing field with a knife.

You were annoyed "back in the good old day", you're annoyed now, but the problem isn't xp, it's a scapegoat.

StRaNgEdAyS

Fledgling Freddie
It's fun to watch kiddies in AHII vulching each other in low population arenas to gain perks to fly the big late war planes like the 262 and the F4U1-C only to see them whine and call you a cheater when you shoot them down with basic planes like the FM2 or my fav. the Hurricane Mk.1

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I for one got a bit bored with the classic arena based FPS, I like the original counter strike but not really played source. Never liked unreal or quake. I like a good single player FPS, loved Halflife and Halflife 2, Bioshock, the Call of Duty series etc.

I also quite like the idea of having upgrades for weapons, armour etc in online play (I guess its the RPG player in me) though I think the modern warfare games are pretty poor online, they both could have been so much better, far too much random death from above or grenade spammers.

I don't think they have died as such, just moved on. They are designed more for the consoles these days with instant gratification the top priority.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I like a good single player FPS, loved Halflife and Halflife 2, Bioshock, the Call of Duty series etc. ....They are designed more for the consoles these days with instant gratification the top priority.

I guess the thread isn't aimed at you really.

I loved Half Life and the like but nothing compares to pitting yourself against real people IMHO.

I sort of agree with you about the instant gratification point - although I'd term it more like "making people who are shit feel like they're getting somewhere, other than spanksville". The mechanism for doing it is making progression in a game more about time spent online rather than skill :|

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Bumptastic!

Been playing Borderlands the past week or so, single player. I was kinda with you Scouse but Borderlands does this level up stuff but does it so well it's not bothered me in the slightest. Might be worth a go?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Have a perk/upgrade game or not, it still comes down to the person who can't aim at a barn door complaining about the guy who spent 20 million hours shooting flying peas qnd the latter guy raging when the first guy kills him.

Any game, any setting, any guns, anything at ALL won't change your problem.

The upgrades etc don't make that much of a difference, which is evident in someone killing a whole playing field with a knife.

You were annoyed "back in the good old day", you're annoyed now, but the problem isn't xp, it's a scapegoat.

Well said, disturbing truth for some people :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Bumptastic!

Been playing Borderlands the past week or so, single player. I was kinda with you Scouse but Borderlands does this level up stuff but does it so well it's not bothered me in the slightest. Might be worth a go?

Yeah borderlands is fantastic. Not played it online though.

Helme

Resident Freddy
The leveling up working well in Borderlands probably has something to do with the fact that it was designed as an RPG first, shooter second :p

Personally I can't stand the XP in multiplayer shooters either, I think it's a decent idea to have the players able to play to unlock something however - like TF2's hats that don't change game balance at all.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Borderlands is essentially Diablo II in an FPS-ey skin.

PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER
PAINKILLER

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Which would explain why it's great. People still play D2 now.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Well said, disturbing truth for some people :)

It's not really about annoyance for me. It's about depression and boredom. I can tear through people just as easily (in fact, a lot more easily) in modern games as I could before.

It's just not as much fun.

I might check Borderlands out tho Meg. If I ever get home again. Still, had a quick look at the Wiki entry for it, doesn't seem multiplayer tastic, which is kinda the point?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
The stand alone Enemy Territory is still my fave FPS of all time. It was free and had balanced gameplay.

I have TF2, Bad Company 2.... still play them but not for long.

If we do PlanetSide2 then lets try to land on the same side.... would have probably played it for longer if the guys in my Outfit hadn't all canceled after the first month subs were up.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Just bought MAG for £20 also, shall give that a good crack. Anyone play/ed by chance?

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
I played a lot of MAG, and enjoyed it a lot, but the support from Zipper came too slowly. They're adding maps and stuff now, but I already stopped some time ago :<

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I might check Borderlands out tho Meg. If I ever get home again. Still, had a quick look at the Wiki entry for it, doesn't seem multiplayer tastic, which is kinda the point?
It's co-op tastic more than multiplayer tastic. It just might help you change your mind about level related FPS games. It's because it doesn't pit your level against my level that it works imho.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Will you please finally acknowledge that I was the best Galaxy pilot ever born???

I feel this is like me claiming to be the best medic ever. Wait...what am I saying? I AM THE BEST MEDIC EVAR!!!! :eek:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Just make sure you do your mediking well away from me, and I'll happily agree.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I'll medic you right in the face :eek:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
You keep your instruments well away from my face.

I know where your thermometer has been :eek:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It was unfortunate that you used the large thermometer, and that someone had replaced the lube with glue, and no one could have seen that tiny crack or predicted what glass and mercury could really do to a colon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom