News The Credit Crunch is really real

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Yep. That's what I thought too...although either way more variety is probably called for. Fish/small amounts of red meat/etc. need to be incorporated (if you don't already) and a lot more veg.

I'm not saying don't eat like you want to tho m8. My diet leaves a lot to be desired... :(

i was eating red meat 7 times a week for about 5 months. having a break from it for the moment, im not about to get an iron deficiency any time soon so it shouldnt be a problem. why more veg? ive got enough fibre. maybe im missing some nutrients but 5 fruit a day is better than most.

i dontlike fish, i take omega 3 instead.

mey, thanks but i wouldnt agree.
its only really the first month thats hard. you really need to put your head down and just get on with it. once its a 'habit' its just a case of keeping the habbit going, like smoking or something. seeing the results is the addiction.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
for 8 days -

4x15 eggs
10 banana
8x 500g fromage frais or 4kg cottage cheese
12 apples
1kg oats
2 packs oat cakes
1-2 loaf wholemeal bread
3 cartons fruit juice
8 litres of milk
1kg chicken
300 > 400g protein powder

gives 3000 calories a day, 5 portions of fruit a day. throw in 2 portions of veg a day for another £2.50 if you want them.

Sounds a little boring Tris and lacking in Iron.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Was your arguement along the lines that I was wrong because you are older than me and have eaten more meals than I have?

What food do people eat in the "real world" then Rubric.

tris-

Sounds a little boring Tris and lacking in Iron.

lacking iron? i am male for a start so my iron needs are pretty small.

lets check my iron content for a day, just from oats. wqhich i actually quoted, and somehow you missed

HGCA - Oats Nutrition

50g of oats provides 67% RDA for iron. add to that i eat 9 eggs a day, im eating more than my RDA of iron.

is anyone actually doing a bit of reading before making their claims?

processed food low in fibre and high in sugar.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Red meat also has plenty that is good for you, despite what the people who only work out because its fashionable to do so say.

Red Meat
Fish
Oats
Olive Oil to cook with
Red wine
Chicken
Cereals
Eggs
Fresh air and exercise

All a growing man needs, fuck the protean shakes.

tris-

no one needs protein shakes but if you cant stomach a lot its easier to consume.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Was your arguement along the lines that I was wrong because you are older than me and have eaten more meals than I have?

Mey, at the end of the day i think you see the world in a very black and white way. All I would like to say is that although it may seem very simple and easy to you peoplecircumstances differ greatly and not everything pans out how you plan for it or would like it to. One day despite all your careful planning and morals you may be faced with a situation that you hadn't anticipated and planned for and you may have a difficult decision or sacrifice to make that when you were twenty you thought you would never experience. That is life in the real world and as you experience more of life you will realise that as these situations present themselves. Let's hope you find people who are supportive of you and don't judge you not knowing what the fuck they are talking about. I don't think i know it all, tbh i think i learn something most days in one arena or another, however when i was younger i thought i did just like you.

So in short, and imo the real world is about learning from your experiences and the experiences of others and anticipating that you can't anticipate everything.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
lacking iron? i am male for a start so my iron needs are pretty small.

lets check my iron content for a day, just from oats. wqhich i actually quoted, and somehow you missed

HGCA - Oats Nutrition

50g of oats provides 67% RDA for iron. add to that i eat 9 eggs a day, im eating more than my RDA of iron.

is anyone actually doing a bit of reading before making their claims?

processed food low in fibre and high in sugar.

Ah i see, i thought Iron came from read meat and dark green leafy veg, you see I do learn something everyday.

Oh and i cook everything from scratch, i don't eat takeaways or processed food anymore. Used to though but having shed 2 stone in 7 weeks I don't think i will ever go back.

tris-

gotcha. good for you, your idea of a "normal person" will change soon too, there isnt a normal person in the food sense. once you start eating clean you can see its just another way of eating.
tip for red meat - tesco extra lean steak mince. sometimes get an offer on 1kg for £4 but usually its about 5.50 a kilo. it was a lot less a year ago.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
From June last year to March this year (9 months) I lost 11 stone. My diet now is very healthy when I am not traveling:

Each day:
2 weetabix made with water it tastes no different than skimmed milk
2 apples and a Banana spread evenly throughout the day
Lunch: Very large salad with salmon or other protein
Supper: Very large salad with sweet potato or sometimes normal potato and protein ie omelette, meatballs, fish, chicken, chickpeas
As much tea coffee water either black or with skimmed milk as I want.

I don't eat bread normally, however I do cook with it. I don't eat rice or pasta normally either, although I do if I go out for dinner. I do love food (obviously or I wouldn't have made the grand weight of 21.5 stone) and variety however a large salad makes up the majority of the food I consume during the day.

For exercise I walk during my commute to work and I usually take a walk at lunchtime. Sadly at the moment I cant as I had a fall which left my left leg severely bruised from my ankle to my lower thigh... very frustrating as I miss the fresh air..

I tend to eat under my required calories during the week to leave scope for going out at the weekend for beer and dinner.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
From June last year to March this year (9 months) I lost 11 stone. My diet now is very healthy when I am not traveling

OMG thats amazing, well done :clap:

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Working out what a healthy diet is, is actually very simple.

If it runs on 4 legs, eat it. If it swims in the water, eat it. If it hangs from a tree, eat it. If it grows in the soil, eat it.

That's basically it. Obviously not everything is edible, but all those foods are exactly what the human body has evolved to eat.

taB

Part of the furniture

sq-fat-bastard-goldmember-newl.jpg

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
From June last year to March this year (9 months) I lost 11 stone.

Fucking hell that is mind blowing, thats like 4 Jups you lost.

Samm lost a couple of stone after having our baby and that took her about 3 months, luckily her b00bs stayed the same though :D

rynnor

Rockhound
for 8 days -

4x15 eggs
10 banana
8x 500g fromage frais or 4kg cottage cheese
12 apples
1kg oats
2 packs oat cakes
1-2 loaf wholemeal bread
3 cartons fruit juice
8 litres of milk
1kg chicken
300 > 400g protein powder

gives 3000 calories a day, 5 portions of fruit a day. throw in 2 portions of veg a day for another £2.50 if you want them.

Its not a bad diet - I remember being on that sort of diet a few years back and it is doable as long as you change it around with different fruits and veg every so often.

Its not actually ideal though - humans are meant to eat a more diverse diet than yours (although to do so is a lot more expensive) - if you added in more salad items and rotated through different fruits as they were in season you'd be doing your digestive system the power of good and it shouldnt cost too much more?

Do you really think you need the extra protein powder on whats already a pretty protein rich diet? Its been a while but I seem to remember that there are limits to how much protein the body can absorb beyond which excess protein just gets excreted.

The only other possible issue on such a high protein diet would be the acid load on your system but presumably the oats should offset that though I'd avoid citrus fruit juices - cranberry would be ideal as its nice n alkaline n good for you too :p

On the whole I'd say it shows your a dedicated soul - keep up the good work!

tris-

its not a lot of protein really. 230g a day, while yes it is probably more than necessary (about 200g is good enough) id prefer to get in more than not enough.
im not really eating enough protein to get acidosis, plus after nearly a year i probably would of known already.

as i said though, every few months i get sick of what im eating and i change bits and bobs. fruit is actually a new addition, i was on it for 4 months or so, came off it and now im likeing it again.

to be fair, everyone can come in and say all they want that the diet is shit or the diet is this and that. but what are these people eating? is there any thought to what they eat? id guess no as ive found mainly the people who try put down my efforts are the ones who could not do it them selves. i gues no one would believe me if i told them my change in habbits is having effects on others around me who have now taken the same road.
this isnt aimed at anyone here but more in general. alot of people usually try belittle it saying youre wasting your time or "its not normal for people to eat like that". i ask you, what the hell did people eat before frozen meals and processed food came about?

rynnor

Rockhound
im not really eating enough protein to get acidosis, plus after nearly a year i probably would of known already.

I was thinking more of acid based kidney stones but its mostly a genetic pre-disposition + high acid load that does that and you may well be ok.

I would'nt reccomend your exact diet to everyone though as many people have a genetic intolerance to milk - it's only really the europeans who can tolerate it and only if you have both copies of the tolerate milk gene.

to be fair, everyone can come in and say all they want that the diet is shit or the diet is this and that. but what are these people eating? is there any thought to what they eat? id guess no as ive found mainly the people who try put down my efforts are the ones who could not do it them selves. i gues no one would believe me if i told them my change in habbits is having effects on others around me who have now taken the same road.

Fair play to you - you have obviously given your diet a lot of thought which is better than 99% of people :)

Personally I'm on a pretty low cal diet to improve my running - I try to avoid high GI carbs so my average day looks something like this:

Breakfast: Low cal yoghurt with fruit or a mixed fruit salad.
Lunch: Chicken with pasta/ or salad with chicken / or beef salad etc. though at least once a week it consists of healthiest pub meal I can find plus a few pints :p
Evening - depending on how many cals I've had for the day either soup or a vege stew or fruit etc.

I dont stick to it religiously but thats what I generally aim for.

tris-

if youre running wouldnt you want some low GI - high carb food around it to fuel it? and maybe high GI carbs after to restock your energy, like dextrose in water.

i wouldnt recommend it to anyone either, i only recommend the principles. that is, eat balanced healthy meals, balanced being protein carbs and fat with fibre.

Moif

Loyal Freddie
I could do with losing a couple of stone. The missus sent me this the other day:

5BX Plan for Physical Fitness - A scientifically designed approach to physical fitness

11 minutes a day for a year.

We're also advocates of freezing anything we don't eat to save on the wallet. I went out and bought a couldron the other day inspired by Sopranos. Use it for cooking the mother of all bolognaises and soups. Freeze em up, microwave em at a later date.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Personally I'm on a pretty low cal diet to improve my running

Running is what prompted my diet although tbh i haven't been able to run for nearly 3 weeks due to a poxy virus. But hopefully i will be back out monday.

My day usually consists of

Breakfast: SHreaded Wheat with sliced Banana or strawberries

Lunch: Wholoemeal Bread Sandwich with salad and a filling and piece of Fruit.

Evening Meal: From

Homemade Chilli Con Carne and Brown Rice
Jackets Cottage Cheese and salad.
Homemade chicken stirfry
Poached fish with new potatoes and salad,
Eggs Benedict (wholemeal muffins)
Poached eggs with beans on wholemeal toast.
Roast dinner (on a sunday and usually chicken)
Fish Fingers, Oven chips & beans
Steak And Home made Chunky chips (ovened wedges with 1 tablespoon of olive oil)
Pasta & Sauce
Prawns & Salad.

Snakc on Malt Loaf,
Some low saturated fat biscuits from Tesco range.
Seseame seeds

tris-

sweet potato is fantastic for making chips.
them and sirloin is as good as it gets

taB

Part of the furniture
While tris's general diet makes me want to hurt myself (there's nothing wrong with it I just like a decent amount of variety and unhealthyness); he is damn right about sweet potato chips. Damn nice they are.

Also, I like rib-eye for my beef cut but that does put me in a minority I reckon in this country. Well seared and nicely bleeding in the middle.

Oh, and if you like steak, can I recommend this for saliva generation :drink:

Shame they're in Yankee land :(

Rubric

Part of the furniture
While tris's general diet makes me want to hurt myself (there's nothing wrong with it I just like a decent amount of variety and unhealthyness); he is damn right about sweet potato chips. Damn nice they are.

Also, I like rib-eye for my beef cut but that does put me in a minority I reckon in this country. Well seared and nicely bleeding in the middle.

Oh, and if you like steak, can I recommend this for saliva generation :drink:

Shame they're in Yankee land :(

His diet would also hurt my wallett tbh. At £30 a week for 1 thats £120 a week for 4. With that sort of money i still eat healthy and have some variety.

tris-

and unhealthyness)

so do i but just not all the time! ive been there, done it, got the xxl t shirt and the chest pains. im not a monk or anything, i had 4 pints last night ffs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom