News The Credit Crunch is really real

Mey

Part of the furniture
Nobody in my family is really a fan of "summer" food we all enjoy good hearty meals :D

Sorry didn't really convey what I wanted too with the bullshit remark. I guess what I meant was it is possible, but obviously takes planning and hardcore time management.

And Rubric my savings did take a little drop but that was because I spent a fortune on summer gear for camping, fortunately though I'm at home for the summer so have no rent/bills to pay bar a couple of 10's to my mum each week for food.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
fortunately though I'm at home for the summer so have no rent/bills to pay bar a couple of 10's to my mum each week for food.

So you when you said this:

I work, I rent a house, I pay bills, I pay tax, I pay a Tv Licence. If I can manage at the age of 20, why can't an "adult"?

Maybe if you didn't miscalculate so much you wouldn't of gone bankrupt?

You meant that you rented student digs?

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
well to cut down stop eating so much meat, I use chickpeas a lot for falafel and have them with a spicey sauce made from value tins of tomatos / onions / chilli and peppers. If you do use meat bulk it out with grated carrots if you are making a mince base dish, no one will notice and it is is healthy.

Other methods of making food go further is to use breadcrumbs in meatballs (they are better like that anyway.)

Make soup out of leftovers and meat bones rather than throwing it away, use curry powder in value beans and buy vegetables from your local market.

Then if you want to eat good quality meat like organic free range corn fed (insert other option) chicken or pork reared outside the cost won't be as much of a problem.

Oh god I almost forgot eggs.... omelette is most yummy and can be used with leftovers from other meals.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I can't afford more than one/two meals a day. The thought of three meals a day is hilarious.

Pfy

Fledgling Freddie
My missus prepares fresh food most days and that's great as I'm sure it saves us money. However seeing as she doesn't work and theres just the one wage does that not mean the argument with regards to 'making fresh meals' is arse.

Surely I'd be better off eaten frozen shit and her working?

Unsure if theres a point in there.

Anyway, I like pasta. Could eat pasta most days, pretty diverse. Pasta with Pesto, Pasta with Meatballs, Pasta with Sauce, Pasta with Veggies, Pasta with Pasta etc.

Anyway, when did students get the right to pretend they live in the real world? Assuming Mey is a student.

Pot noodle is NOT 'dinner on the table' btw! :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Your point? I still have to work to pay rent/bills and put dinner on my table.

You never did say, does your mum work full time?

Oh, and student rent is so cheap maybe you wouldn't be able to afford a proper house?

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Your point? I still have to work to pay rent/bills and put dinner on my table.

My point is, as it always has been, you have no idea what the real world is like.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Me I think meal time is very important, and neglecting that, or not making the effort to do it, is very detrimental to your life, and particularly to you children as time goes by.

me too.

We eat at the kitchen table for most meals and there is no TV in the Kitchen.
So we have a good chat about stuff while enjoying our meal...

Mey

Part of the furniture
You never did say, does your mum work full time?

Oh, and student rent is so cheap maybe you wouldn't be able to afford a proper house?

Missed your post sorry, she used to work full time when we were younger and my dad wasn't getting paid as much, but now she works 5 hours a day and looks after two horses. Student rent is far from "cheap" really. It is just that you are paying for "one" room rather than a whole house.

You also have to scale a "student income" to a "full time worker income". Naturally the full timer is going to have more money.

Rubric I have plenty idea what the "real world" is like, i've been down at the bottom scraping pennies to afford to live with the best of them. Your contiuned use of said argument is rather boring and repeatitive, I think you use it as an excuse because you have no "real" excuse why all the things I say cannot be done.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Missed your post sorry, she used to work full time when we were younger and my dad wasn't getting paid as much, but now she works 5 hours a day and looks after two horses.

No worries. However, I could make dinner for 20 if I only worked for 5 hours a day....

Mey

Part of the furniture
No worries. However, I could make dinner for 20 if I only worked for 5 hours a day....

Then she looks after two horses everyday which takes up about 2-3 hours.

You could probably make dinner for twenty people if you didn't spend all your time on the internet too.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Rubric I have plenty idea what the "real world" is like, i've been down at the bottom scraping pennies to afford to live with the best of them. Your contiuned use of said argument is rather boring and repeatitive, I think you use it as an excuse because you have no "real" excuse why all the things I say cannot be done.

Mummy and Daddy always there to help you out though if things get a little too tough.

You could probably make dinner for twenty people if you didn't spend all your time on the internet too.

Happy to judge other people but not so happy when they pass judgement on you?

Fweddy

FH is my second home
When I was a student last year my rent was half what it is now, and I didn't have to pay Council Tax. As a student with a ten hour a week part time job I had a lot more disposable income than I do now.

But that said, I still find time to cook my own food every day. Probably only because premade food tends to make me feel rubbish though.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Mummy and Daddy always there to help you out though if things get a little too tough.

More than likely but because I have self-pride I have never asked them. I'd rather pawn/sell stuff that I can make or have before I went to them, which I often do (sell/make stuff for people that is). It is one of the reasons why I still keep working for the bank even though I hate the job, so that I can pay my own way in life.

But I guess like with overdrafts you are going to say that people are FORCED to buy expensive ready-made foodstuffs.

Personally I see it as poor time management, you could even get the kids involved whilst you are making it, thus teaching them how to cook and solving the “watching” problem at the same time.

Still it's good to see you contribute absolutely nothing once more bar how my opinion is wrong because you are 20 years odd older than me.

Tell me though as I am genuinly interested, when exactly does one experince the "real world".. Do I have to take a red pill?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Will you guys just drop it, this is the second time in a month that this exact same argument has been played out.

You are not every family Mey, stop coming across like a twat and just accept that your life experiences do not apply to everyone.

And leave Rubric be, you have hit a nerve with him in the past so what do you expect if you carry on.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
More than likely but because I have self-pride I have never asked them. I'd rather pawn/sell stuff that I can make or have before I went to them, which I often do (sell/make stuff for people that is). It is one of the reasons why I still keep working for the bank even though I hate the job, so that I can pay my own way in life.

But I guess like with overdrafts you are going to say that people are FORCED to buy expensive ready-made foodstuffs.

Personally I see it as poor time management, you could even get the kids involved whilst you are making it, thus teaching them how to cook and solving the “watching” problem at the same time.

Still it's good to see you contribute absolutely nothing once more bar how my opinion is wrong because you are 20 years odd older than me.

Tell me though as I am genuinly interested, when exactly does one experince the "real world".. Do I have to take a red pill?

You really are quite a smug git aren't you?

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Also, theres nothing to stop you growing your own food.

but how much space do you need, and time?

ive got a veggie patch in the garden but its not gonna provide enough food to live on.

Aada

Part of the furniture
All good advice.

My father in law has a vegetable patch which we will be using alot more in the future.
I can home cook batch stuff like lasagne (mind you the ingrediants are now more expensive too!).

And I guess it will just be back to making cheap meals like jacket pots and pasta. It is not impossible by any means, but what amazes me is how we all just sit down and accept it.

I will go to Aldi's and Lidl's and stop being a food snob. Its just the meat that concerns me. I worry about all the fillers and additives and crap that goes in to cheap meat.

And it really pisses me off when the government are going on about an obesity epidemic and it will soon be cheaper for my family to eat at Macdonalds every day than have good home cooked food.

Grrrrrrr...

This is the point me and my GF have when we decide lets eat healthy!

The problem is all the healthy food is stupidly overpriced and it just makes you want to buy the junk cheap food such as chips and a frozen pizza.

It costs nearly £10 to make a decent salad for 2 people while chips+pizza costs around £5 if that.

tris-

This is the point me and my GF have when we decide lets eat healthy!

The problem is all the healthy food is stupidly overpriced and it just makes you want to buy the junk cheap food such as chips and a frozen pizza.

It costs nearly £10 to make a decent salad for 2 people =.

maybe if youre buying your salad ingredients from waitrose, and your salad for two people is actually a salad for 10 people.

healthy food isnt stupidly over priced either.

1kg of oats = 60p. how much is a kilo of frozen chips, 2-3 quid? 1kg of oats is going to provide infinatley more nutrition and probably more calories too.
15 eggs = 1.25
1kg of cottage cheese = £2
couple of kilos of rice doesnt cost much

i eat six healthy meals a day and it costs me £25 a week. these arnt small meals, i get over 3000 calories a day. talk to your average fat bastard and theyre probably paying twice that for less food.

i think youre looking in the wrong places or possibly buying the wrong type of healthy stuff? there is a lot of everyday foods like above which are healthy, and then ofcourse you have your "weight watchers" and all that other shite stuff that costs a fortune.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Your probably right.

Our salad usually consists of:

Pack of crunchy salad

Cucumber

Tomatoes

Maybe a jackey potato.

Bit of Pasta.

All bought from Tesco mind you maybe thats why it feels so expensive.

tris-

i shop at tesco exclusively really. you can do it cheap if you shop clever.

if it helps i could show you my shopping list for 25-30 quid and 6 healthy meals a day.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
but how much space do you need, and time?

ive got a veggie patch in the garden but its not gonna provide enough food to live on.

Plenty of cabbages on FH if you run short :D

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
if it helps i could show you my shopping list for 25-30 quid and 6 healthy meals a day.

How do you find time to eat 6 meals a day ?

Or rather how do you find time to work in between meals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom