News The Credit Crunch is really real

russell

FH is my second home
Folks - familyof 5 does not equate to having time to cook every day....

too right.

Credit Crunch/Recession isn't making food more expensive. Maybe fuel price increase is and under supply but thats all.

Recession could be making you feel poorer though.

Credit crunch is the wrong terminology? Mmmmm... I meant it in terms of how salaries stay the same, yet everything is so much more expensive and the credit is no longer there as a fall-back to tide you through in lean times. (... take a breath Mey, let it go... lets not go down this road again!) Everyone is panicking and clamping down and its scary.

As pez says this is inflation + fuel price increases, not the credit crunch.

See above

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
It doesn't help with all the media overhype which panics people thus makes things worse which then makes it reality anyways.

People should stop paying so much attention to media whores

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
People should stop thinking they have a God given right to a better quality of life than they can afford.

the bread I buy has tripled in price in the last 8 years. it's not gotten any yummier.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

Perhaps not everyday but I'm sure you could cook most days.
You should be able to spare 30-40 mins in the kitchen a day...

A stir fry doesnt take very long to cook.
Pasta doesnt take long to cook.
Pork Loin Chops dont take long to cook

Thats 3 nights of 30-40 mins there already!

ALDI/LIDL/NETTOS are still somewhat cheaper than most supermarkets.

Not for everything!

Some of the stuff I have seen in Aldi/Lidl has been more expensive than Tesco or Sainsburys!

Shopping around may be the key but then you are wasting time / petrol etc that could be perhaps used for other things...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
This recipe doesnt take long to prepare at all! Takes 1 1/2 hours to cook but thats time spent doing other stuff...

tender and crisp chicken legs with sweet tomatoes - Jamie Oliver (yes I know! :( )
This recipe takes literally minutes to put together but then requires slow, gentle cooking. However, in return for your patience, what happens in the pan from just a couple of ingredients is an absolute joy and never fails, so it’s a good one to serve if you have guests.

Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Season your chicken pieces all over and put them into a snug-fitting pan in one layer. Throw in all the basil leaves and stalks, then chuck in your tomatoes. Scatter the garlic cloves into the pan with the chopped chilli and drizzle over some olive oil. Mix around a bit, pushing the tomatoes underneath. Place in the oven for 1½ hours, turning the tomatoes halfway through, until the chicken skin is crisp and the meat falls off the bone.

If you fancy, you can add some drained cannellini beans or some sliced new potatoes to the pan and cook them with the chicken. Or you can serve the chicken with some simple mashed potato. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins before serving. You could even make it part of a pasta dish – remove the chicken meat from the bone and shred it, then toss into a bowl of linguini or spaghetti and serve at once

taB

Part of the furniture
Hmm, I had completely forgotten there was a credit crisis due to the immense over saturation of knife stuff in the news.

Quick Gordon, what can we come up with to distract everyone!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I have a mate that does market research or some bollox for Tescos head office, anyways the current trend is they've won a lot of new upper class custom from M & S and Sainsbury's whilst at the same time losing their working class custom to the likes of Aldi, Netto.

Can't bring myself to shop in Tesco; they've got too much power as it is. On the other hand, I don't like Asda much either, Waitrose have nice food but are extremely expensive for most things, I couldn't bring myself to abuse my body with any of the shit sold in Aldi or Netto; which just leaves me with my eating peasants strategy*

*Or Sainsbury's.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
People should stop paying so much attention to media whores

Quite right, but it doesn't hurt to try and save a bit of money now and again. As a couple we now spend about £40 plus one take away and one meal out a week.

Used to be 60-70

Mey

Part of the furniture

Bullshit my mum cooks from scratch for 6 (7 if you inc. the brothers girlfriend) and she works.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
then I'd run down the shops and get her an extra large box of choccys tbh

rynnor

Rockhound
Bullshit my mum cooks from scratch for 6 (7 if you inc. the brothers girlfriend) and she works.

Your probably no longer young kids tho - theres a big difference between having 2 or 3 young kids under 6 and 2-3 teenagers in terms of time available early evening to cook.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Even when we were all under 10 she would make dinner from scratch..

JingleBells

FH is my second home
biggrin.png

Jeros

Part of the furniture

Do you live in thier house and see thier day to day routine/life? NO!

So dont compare your family to theirs.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

It's not bullshit - just because your Mum manages that you don't know what other commitments others may have.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Revolutionary idea, maybe the older kids can help out and get up from watching the TV / playing games and help with the cooking before the parents get home. :touch:

Mey

Part of the furniture
If you prepear the meal before you go to work or what not all it is, is a matter of someone flicking a switch.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If you prepear the meal before you go to work or what not all it is, is a matter of someone flicking a switch.

Stop talking bollocks, Mey.

Everyone has different commitments and routines.

When I was young my Mum went to work during the day and college in the evenings most of the time, for example... no way did she have time for cooking dinners every noght and luckily we have very good friends who lived close by where I would go for my dinner quite often.

That's just a single example.... there are so many other variables.

Preparing food to cook later is fine, but it still takes time.... if there are toddlers to wash and dress and deliver somewhere on time before work it's going to take priority over peeling some spuds in anyone's books, and besides, I wouldn't recommend people prepare food and leave it all day as it will lose some of it's freshness.

Making blasé comments that anyone can cook a meal every night is just ignorant and insulting to those who genuinely are not able to.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
Stop talking bollocks, Mey.

Everyone has different commitments and routines.

When I was young my Mum went to work during the day and college in the evenings most of the time, for example... no way did she have time for cooking dinners every noght and luckily we have very good friends who lived close by where I would go for my dinner quite often.

That's just a single example.... there are so many other variables.

Preparing food to cook later is fine, but it still takes time.... if there are toddlers to wash and dress and deliver somewhere on time before work it's going to take priority over peeling some spuds in anyone's books, and besides, I wouldn't recommend people prepare food and leave it all day as it will lose some of it's freshness.

Making blasé comments that anyone can cook a meal every night is just ignorant and insulting to those who genuinely are not able to.

Everythings black and white for Mey Jup, we won't have to worry about him during the credit crunch though he has been saving in anticipation for it. :)

So that we can get an idea of how to do it Mey could you let us know what she has cooked for you over the last say 7 days so we can get some tips.

Mey

Part of the furniture
If you were struggling to find the money to buy food or moan about how expensive (pre-made stuff was) you would bloody well make time! Ah here comes Rubric, the man who is right about everything because he is old...

Tonight we are having lasagna and salad, Last night we had a beef stew (cooked using a slower cooker) with breadrolls. Sunday we had a roast dinner (Beef). Saturday we had a chicken curry, Friday we had spaghetti bolognese. Thursday we had a chicken stir fry. Wednsday I wasn't home. Tuesday was pork chops and mash potatoes.

Usual meals include: Hot pot, Stews, casserols, roast dinners, pasta dishes, stir frys etc..

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Me I think meal time is very important, and neglecting that, or not making the effort to do it, is very detrimental to your life, and particularly to you children as time goes by.

Rubric

Part of the furniture
If you were struggling to find the money to buy food or moan about how expensive (pre-made stuff was) you would bloody well make time! Ah here comes Rubric, the man who is right about everything because he is old...

Tonight we are having lasagna and salad, Last night we had a beef stew (cooked using a slower cooker) with breadrolls. Sunday we had a roast dinner (Beef). Saturday we had a chicken curry, Friday we had spaghetti bolognese. Thursday we had a chicken stir fry. Wednsday I wasn't home. Tuesday was pork chops and mash potatoes.

Usual meals include: Hot pot, Stews, casserols, roast dinners, pasta dishes, stir frys etc..

Not really summer food, so not for me tbh. I would love to be able to affrod a joint of beef to feed 7 tbh but on my budget at the moment i'll have to make chicken do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom