Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Who else is available at the moment though?

I think on balance he absolutely proved me wrong, we got to the final at least and only lost by penalties to an exceptional Italy. There are still loads of positives to take from the tournament. A world cup semi-final, a Euros final and some of the most gifted players in the world coming through. We have a lot to be happy about.

But yeah, we should have done much better in the final and most of that is down to team set up and manager decisions, the players were pretty faultless and played how instructed.

Split between Sterling and Shaw for English player of the tournament...or even Pickford, he was absolutely outstanding.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

I think on balance he absolutely proved me wrong, we got to the final at least and only lost by penalties to an exceptional Italy. There are still loads of positives to take from the tournament. A world cup semi-final, a Euros final and some of the most gifted players in the world coming through. We have a lot to be happy about.

But yeah, we should have done much better in the final and most of that is down to team set up and manager decisions, the players were pretty faultless and played how instructed.

Split between Sterling and Shaw for English player of the tournament...or even Pickford, he was absolutely outstanding.
Agree entirely with this post. We've exceeded expectations, and Southgate has in general done a great job (Germany game sticks out in particular)... just feel like he bottled it a bit in the final. As I said - I think he will learn from it.

Embattle

FH is my second home
To me Gareth Southgate can keep the job as long as he learns from last night's game.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You need to get rid of Southgate though going by his tactics last night.
The manger who got us further than anyone in half a century... Thanks but I think we should keep him.

Granted we should press more as I think we've actually got a really good attacking squad but this whole ditch the manager for not meeting the nation's unrealistic expectations bit doesn't work.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Rashford did the difficult bit (which was to send probably the best penalty-stopper in the game today the wrong way) but fucked the actual shot up. Half an inch to the right and it would've been a brilliant pen. I have to say I disliked him standing dead behind the ball before he shifted across to start his run-up (he's right-footed, he's always going to approach from the left so why not start there and give himself less to think about?) but I trust that he does it for a reason.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The man is an absolute role model. He probably shouldn't have been brought on, another Southgate error in bringing on 2 players in a final just to take pens, no time at all to get rid of any nerves, just dropped in to take a pen. His form also probably hasn't been the best, but, he is the sort of player that can make a difference, so I have no major gripes about his selection.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I also love that the players aren't downing tools on the off-the-pitch stuff now that the tournament's over. Don't give the scum Tories any opportunity whatsoever to clutch at their pearls and act all disgusted at the racist abuse that they have all but explicitly encouraged. Especially that awful fucking hag, Patel.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman

I had thought the same about the 3 you picked but I dropped Sterling from the list when he didn't take one of the penalties being one of the 'senior' players out there. Maybe I'm wrong and there were other reasons but being one of the older players on the pitch and the most capped player in the squad, I would have thought he'd have stepped up.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I had thought the same about the 3 you picked but I dropped Sterling from the list when he didn't take one of the penalties being one of the 'senior' players out there. Maybe I'm wrong and there were other reasons but being one of the older players on the pitch and the most capped player in the squad, I would have thought he'd have stepped up.
Southgate said he picked the takers based on them taking pens in training which seems like a madness to me - I'd have thought he'd pick the most experienced players over those who could put the ball in the net in a totally pressure-free situation, especially as they got towards the sharp end of the pens.

Southgate had been trying to get Rashford and Sancho on for a few minutes so it was unfortunate how little playing time they had before the whistle. He could've brought them on earlier to get around that or, even better, make better subs during the match proper to try and win it, knowing how good Donnarumma is with penalties (he's literally never lost a penalty shootout ffs).

I still think he shouldn't have let Saka step up for the fifth with so much riding on it, especially after Rashford and Sancho had missed. The whole thing was riding on a 19 year old who had already had a really poor match since coming on. Sterling, Stones, Shaw, Grealish, Pickford (he was apparently #7)... any of them should've been put in to take the 5th, especially as the situation unfolded.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Southgate said he picked the takers based on them taking pens in training which seems like a madness to me - I'd have thought he'd pick the most experienced players over those who could put the ball in the net in a totally pressure-free situation, especially as they got towards the sharp end of the pens.

Southgate had been trying to get Rashford and Sancho on for a few minutes so it was unfortunate how little playing time they had before the whistle. He could've brought them on earlier to get around that or, even better, make better subs during the match proper to try and win it, knowing how good Donnarumma is with penalties (he's literally never lost a penalty shootout ffs).

I still think he shouldn't have let Saka step up for the fifth with so much riding on it, especially after Rashford and Sancho had missed. The whole thing was riding on a 19 year old who had already had a really poor match since coming on. Sterling, Stones, Shaw, Grealish, Pickford (he was apparently #7)... any of them should've been put in to take the 5th, especially as the situation unfolded.
I dont think you choses each one.. you have to give the first 5 before and give the order to the ref Dont you. But position 5 is usually the hardest i agree. But he didnt know it was going to be so crucial and couldnt change the order if i am correct.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Don't worry, everyone, online racism is dead now that the Tories want to ban them from matches.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Don't worry, everyone, online racism is dead now that the Tories want to ban them from matches.
Dont think its posed as an end to racism. They also are talking about more laws to force social media platforms to id people.

i think its something that will hopefully decrease with time. As education and social pressures change thinking.

we still have people who regularly saw the black and white minstrels on tv and had bars that didnt allow coloured people in.

its unfortunately not something that will disappear overnight

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It won't make any difference whatsoever until these bottom feeders are fined or banned from social media entirely.

Let them scream at their 4 walls all they like.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It won't make any difference whatsoever until these bottom feeders are fined or banned from social media entirely.

Let them scream at their 4 walls all they like.
They need to be challenged, not left to stew in bitterness behind closed doors.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Edit, and publicly name them in the local paper like they do drink drivers.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Thats not changing anything just driving it underground which is more dangerous
Disagree. These anonymous cunts get constant validation from other anonymous cunts on social media - because they're big brave boys hidden behind some jingoistic bullshit avatar and user name. I think naming and shaming could help. I'd just get rid of social media, personally.

Edit - I do realise the slight hypocrisy in me writing this on a forum, hidden behind an avatar and anonymous username... But I'm not a fucking mad racist.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
They get validation from the fucking government tbh. Brexit empowered these fucks and the Tories with their demonstrably racist leader and their stupid culture war bollocks are (fully intentionally) driving wedges ever deeper.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Use your words, @Embattle. A facepalm on a comment about the cause (or certainly a catalyst) of the current wave of nasty bullshit in England from a Leave-voting, Chelsea-supporting Tory (talk about ticking boxes) isn't a good look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom