Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Wait, how?

Six teams are already below England’s points/gd and there isn’t a combination from tomorrow’s games that doesn’t leave at least two more; e.g if Germany beat Hungary, that leaves Hungary on 1, if Hungary beat Germany, Germany on 3 etc and in their own group if Scotland win they get 4 and Croatia are out or vice versa. Draws don’t help any of them.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Six teams are already below England’s points/gd and there isn’t a combination from tomorrow’s games that doesn’t leave at least two more; e.g if Germany beat Hungary, that leaves Hungary on 1, if Hungary beat Germany, Germany on 3 etc and in their own group if Scotland win they get 4 and Croatia are out or vice versa. Draws don’t help any of them.
Poor @Gwadien someone will explain maths to you one day

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Sticking some money on England to not win tonight to avoid winning the group.

DaGaffer

Sticking some money on England to not win tonight to avoid winning the group.

I'm guessing he'll rest Kane and Sterling at a minimum. This is the game to test out Sancho/Calvert Lewin/Graelish up front, but it would be a bit unfortunate if it works really well and they batter the Czechs.

Problem is they're not going to know who they get in advance. If they draw, the only real big hitter in front of them is Spain, who have been just as dogshit as England so far, if they come third its the Dutch, the Belgians or possibly Spain again. Winning the group will be probably mean one of England's two bête noirs, Germany or Portugal, and its probably Germany (I don't see Portugal beating the French) who looked excellent the other day.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I'm guessing he'll rest Kane and Sterling at a minimum. This is the game to test out Sancho/Calvert Lewin/Graelish up front, but it would be a bit unfortunate if it works really well and they batter the Czechs.

Problem is they're not going to know who they get in advance. If they draw, the only real big hitter in front of them is Spain, who have been just as dogshit as England so far, if they come third its the Dutch, the Belgians or possibly Spain again. Winning the group will be probably mean one of England's two bête noirs, Germany or Portugal, and its probably Germany (I don't see Portugal beating the French) who looked excellent the other day.
France have been a bit underwhelming imo. France Portugal could easily go either way. Draw probably the best result for us, but obviously a good win would give us confidence.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Spain, who have been just as dogshit as England so far,

Agreed but it's how you finish and I'm sticking to that!

I'm still believing even though our group stage matches were crap. I'm remembering South Africa in 2010 where despite the victories we performed poorly.

We don't have Villa to bail us out this time round though :(

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
France have been a bit underwhelming imo. France Portugal could easily go either way. Draw probably the best result for us, but obviously a good win would give us confidence.

The 3 teams who I think have the best squads this year - Belgium, France and England in that order haven't been as exciting to watch as I had thought. Then again the group stages always seem stale compared to the knockout rounds where they don't have a choice but to go for the win.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Agreed but it's how you finish and I'm sticking to that!

I'm still believing even though our group stage matches were crap. I'm remembering South Africa in 2010 where despite the victories we performed poorly.

We don't have Villa to bail us out this time round though :(

Don't forget also that Portugal drew all 3 group games at Euro 2016 and went on to win the lot.

DaGaffer

France still look like they have another gear in them to me, whereas I think we're seeing all Portugal have.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
France still look like they have another gear in them to me, whereas I think we're seeing all Portugal have.
Possibly. I think they've looked a bit weird, unbalanced, and heavily reliant on Mbappe. They've been playing so deep, Greizmann has more or less been a full back. Pogba has looked good mind.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
It's weird though.

Because its Hungary people are gonna be like aw yeah fuck Hungary, but if it was proposed to be done randomly then people would be like lol why?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
It's weird though.

Because its Hungary people are gonna be like aw yeah fuck Hungary, but if it was proposed to be done randomly then people would be like lol why?
Because unlike most civilized western countries, Hungary is moving back towards making homosexuality illegal? Most countries don't need a reminder that it's OK to be gay.

DaGaffer

It's weird though.

Well it is Pride month, so its not that random, even without sending a message to Hungary.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Orban is actually going down the Hitler route as well of "if i host as many sporting events as possible, that will get everyone on my side".

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Why can't football be football, gays be gays and black lives be black lives. I just want to see a bunch of players I like kick a ball around and then have Spain lift the world cup.

I don't really know much about LGBTASMR or George Floyd Mayweather.

:(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It still is, having different coloured lights around the stadium won't change that, it's not like they are making the floodlights pink or something.

I think the taking the knee thing has probably run its course now and it's more of a box ticking exercise rather than having some sort of meaning, but I would rather have that then "a message from our sponsors" which is all we would have in its place. Especially ITV who don't always even bother to let the match finish before switching to adverts.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I'll take the win and 3 clean sheets but with that amount of talent going forward I would expect us to be a bit more ruthless.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I'll take the win and 3 clean sheets but with that amount of talent going forward I would expect us to be a bit more ruthless.
Best we've looked so far but I agree, still lacking a cutting edge

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

6 French fans went to hungary instead of romania to see their team. Budapest vs Bucharest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom