Football The 2020/2021 Season Thread

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin

This is interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but countries have historically been bollocked for using football for a political platform, I'm not suggesting Russia is right in annexing Crimea but I do think they're right in complaining about Ukraine using football to make a point.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

This is interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but countries have historically been bollocked for using football for a political platform, I'm not suggesting Russia is right in annexing Crimea but I do think they're right in complaining about Ukraine using football to make a point.

Its the map of Ukraine as recognised by the entire international community except Russia and Belarus (and any other Russian client states). This is only controversial in the Kremlin.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Still no place for JWP, what does he have to do to get in the squad? How many defenders do we need in a squad? Short on midfield options.

Really not confident for the tournament.

I understand it, even as a Saints fan. Tyrone Mings has looked fucking shit - I think White starts in a back 4 if Maguire is not fit (which is likely). He also provides cover at defensive mid.

HOWEVER, JWP was the best player on the pitch last night, and will likely be fuming. This should be a non issue as he should've been in the squad in the first place.

Gwadien

Its the map of Ukraine as recognised by the entire international community except Russia and Belarus (and any other Russian client states). This is only controversial in the Kremlin.

Yes which I completely understand.

But as Russians a have rightly said, football should not be used as a political platform - surely if that is the case that applies for all political platforms, not just the ones we don't agree with?

DaGaffer

Yes which I completely understand.

But as Russians a have rightly said, football should not be used as a political platform - surely if that is the case that applies for all political platforms, not just the ones we don't agree with?

Isn't it the Russians who are using this as a political platform by complaining about Ukraine having a map showing their actual border? They could quite easily have simply ignored it. But sowing confusion is kind of their gig isn't it?

Gwadien

Isn't it the Russians who are using this as a political platform by complaining about Ukraine having a map showing their actual border? They could quite easily have simply ignored it. But sowing confusion is kind of their gig isn't it?

No, because the Russians didn't print it on a shirt knowing that it would provoke Russia.

Let's flip it around, if China did the same and included HK and Taiwan then would you expect the response of us, the US and other countries to be muted?

I don't think so, they would most definitely be expelled from sporting events that they did it in.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
In short, fuck Russia and their opinion about anything.

DaGaffer

No, because the Russians didn't print it on a shirt knowing that it would provoke Russia.

Let's flip it around, if China did the same and included HK and Taiwan then would you expect the response of us, the US and other countries to be muted?

I don't think so, they would most definitely be expelled from sporting events that they did it in.

China do include Taiwan and HK in their maps. In fact, while Taiwan were allowed to compete in the 2008 Olympics (at the IOC's insistence, they weren't allowed to display their own flag.

Last edited:

Gwadien

China do include Taiwan and HK in their maps. In fact, while Taiwan were allowed to compete in the 2008 Olympics (at the IOC's insistence, they weren't allowed to display their own flag.

But do they have it on their shirt and especially for a sporting event?

Gwadien

In short, fuck Russia and their opinion about anything.

It would be lovely to have this approach but we ain't gonna get Russians or the Chinese on our side unless we open our eyes to our own hypocrisy because it's free ammo for their pretty bad regimes.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
We don't need them on our side though. If they are being dicks then they should be treated as such.

as for bringing politics into football... :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
That'll learn 'em!
However, if any of the six clubs sign up for a similar venture in the future then they could each be hit with a £20million fine and face a 30-point deduction.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That'll learn 'em!
Just wait til you see what they've got in store for the other thre...

Stay of Proceedings against FC Barcelona, Juventus FC and Real Madrid CF

Following the opening of disciplinary proceedings against FC Barcelona, Juventus FC and Real Madrid CF for a potential violation of UEFA’s legal framework in connection with the so-called ‘Super League’ project, the UEFA Appeals Body has decided to stay the proceedings until further notice.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Bit OT but WTH.
Heard that UEFA are buying several A321 aircraft with satellite connectivity. The intention is to offer teams free transport in return for interviews which will be fed to the ground live. Each aircraft will have a studio at the front of the aircraft for the interviews.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Bit OT but WTH.
Heard that UEFA are buying several A321 aircraft with satellite connectivity. The intention is to offer teams free transport in return for interviews which will be fed to the ground live. Each aircraft will have a studio at the front of the aircraft for the interviews.
Christ alive

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
After talk of Nagelsmann, Flick and Conte, it's fair to say the impending appointment of Fonseca hasn't gone down well. He looks decent enough but the fact that he's the cheapest option and probably isn't going to get the support he needs unless the new DoF can get rid of quite a few players doesn't bode well.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
why have espana only taken veinticuatro jugadores

Luis Enrique said he wanted to create a better atmosphere. He said in his experience it's mainly the same players that play in the matches in these tournaments and with smaller numbers every player would feel more involved and motivated overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom